Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Hewey's Tiki Wagon: Update page 5

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 3:07 PM

Here are some more pics, taken off a photographers website (hence the watermark).

The wagon doing its best burnout attempt!

And the monster launches!

If you are interested in more photos follow this link, shows all the cars that ran.
http://badgerphotography.com.au/Cruzin%20Magazine%20Nostalgia%20Drags%20161005%20Page%201.htm

That is so freakin' COOL!!! I would love to try something like that. I Hope FD #1 helped out some. :wink: By the way, you wagon looks terrific!

Nice launch!

B

Super nice, Hewey. Love the car and the lettering is "Stand-out" Excellent.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2005 4:28 AM

Thanks to Kahakai Kane for this awesome picture! I love it man.

B

So Hewewy, you have been holding out on us,, When were you at the Mai Kai?? And you didn't call us to let us know?? Must be why you and your tiki were so " Depressed".
Love it.

H

Update: The wagon is not to be mine :( Everyone that looks at the bug freaks out at the rust. We have recently found out the wagon has a rusty floor, and the engine is dieing. That coupled with the not-selling the bug factor just means it isnt gonna happen.

I have decided to go on a cruise to the South Pacific, so I cant afford to drop lots of money changing cars.

I will be back with another tiki wagon. Maybe a VW van. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

H

Im gonna keep the "Kustom KaHoona" name too (thanks wahine). I will use it in the future somewhere, maybe a tiki wagon, maybe a tiki bar, maybe a business name...

Hey Hewey
sorry to here that mate.
Hopefully the anticipation of your cruise and the memories it will provide you will let you forget all about the wagon.

PS Why not Tikify the bug? it would probably make a mean tiki mobile

cheers
Bob

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 5:07 AM

Part of me would like to tikify the bug - the other part of me is sick of the damn thing, and would prefer to put my time into something I am gonna keep and enjoy. Im not gonna keep it much past the short term, so I cant mess with it too much, cause every dollar I save on it, is a dollar I can spend on something I would like to keep for a while. Also, gonna be even harder to offload it when its too personalised, its hard enough as it is already!

But, Im hanging to really mess with something. Hang around, I might get around to it in another 20 years or so, instead of just talking... (again)

B

Hewey, too bad about the Kustom Kahoona, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. TikiBug sounds pretty good tho.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 6:59 AM

On 2005-11-29 22:22, hewey wrote:
I have decided to go on a cruise to the South Pacific, so I cant afford to drop lots of money changing cars.

What do you mean? A big ship cruise or a small (sail)boat cruise? Cruise the South Pacific. One o'these days, if I'm lucky.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 20, 2005 6:54 AM

Big cruise foamy. P&O with the big boat and the cocktails :)...

Im gonna do some tiki stuff to the bug. Nothing major, cause Im not looking at keeping it too long (Cant fit any large tiki carvings in it, and too damn heavy to lift to the roof). I will post pics.

Hell, I might even sticker it up in red holographic vinyl (kustom kahoona) for the next nostalgia drags (just a pit bitch for my brother, not competing, dont think theyd let me in). Means I could disply some tiki and hot rod art though :)

First off, I think mini wooden rum bottles would make cool door locks...

Ill start a new thread on just the bug, me thinks...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 2:49 AM

UPDATE

Well, the wagon. An interesting story that one... My brother went to sell it and I realised how much I wanted it, so I agreed to buy it and put down a deposit. My brother agreed to cut out the rust before said car changing hands. Well, my brother cut out the floor at his work, and his work went bankrupt.

The guy who was gonna help him to weld the new floor panels back in didn't have a welder, and there was no access to the work welder any more. So she was towed home without a floor and sat in my brothers garage until his brother in law could weld it back together (at this stage my brother got a new job like 8 hours away). I had the fun job of cleaning up after the welding, priming, and tar sealing too. I also had to replace the rear brake line after my brother cut through it cutting out the old floor. This took 2 goes to get right before it worked... haha. Ive spent too many hours under this freaking car.

So, got it back on the road days before registration was due. Passed okay (when it shouldn't have - only 1 indicator was working!) and had it one the road for like a week or 2.

Well, I didn't make it home from work one Friday night. Lottsa smoke (out of the carby!) but couldnt even nurse it home. Got it towed home. My neighbourts prognosis was broken rings. Pushed it into his place, pulled the engine, stripped it down to a bare block. The damage: the end of a dipstick was floating around the bottom end, 5 cylinders had damaged rings, one piston had split in two, and there was a inch of movement in the timing chain.

SO, now shes got to have a full rebuild. Lots of $$$... Gonna be a while before I can afford to do anything really cool. At least she got a Bamboo Ben sticker on it :)

Tiki updates when I get to em. Currently planning the bamboo side window curtains and tiki shifter Im gonna carve...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 16, 2006 2:53 AM

This needs to be moved out of tiki carving to other crafts by a mod (was posted before "creating" was split into 2).

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 7:36 PM

UPDATE: 12/9/06

Got a newer engine to rebuild, out of a younger car of the same model (so I got an early 80s engine, not an early 70s engine). Waiting on the block to come back from the machine shop - should be back this week. Even got a set of extractors to give it a sweet note :)

When we first fire her up we wont have the exhaust hooked up, just have it dumping from the extractors. Itll sound awesome. Ill try and video it and post it on you-tube :)

Hopefully it will back cruising within the month, but we'll see...

Pages: 1 2 63 replies