Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Using Vintage Decanters

Pages: 1 2 replies

R

Am looking for some advice - scored a green Kahlua decanter while antiquing this weekend. It actually looks more India-ish than tiki, but whatever. It's pretty tall so since it'll be taking up significant bar space, thought I might as well go ahead and use it for storage. However, the cork and decanter itself still smell faintly of the sweet Kahlua that it formerly housed. There's a photo on the bottom here:

Mine's a green one - here's a larger ebay auction pic of a brown one:

Since I'm not sure how old it is, I'm wondering...

1. should I use it to store booze? Am not sure if there are any potential leaching or contamination risks.
  2. how should I prep it for storing a different sort of liquor? I don't really keep Kahlua, but certainly would like to store some variety of rum in it.

Advice/comments/suggestions are sought!
cheers,
Rupe

Greetings Rupe!
For those two decanters I would look more to South America as the design style than anywhere else.

Did you have a look through this pictorial decanter site?
http://www.jimbeamclub.com/pictorials/

A few that might be of interest here:
Hawaiian Distillers

A couple of others:

Pirate - 1971

Shrine Fex(z?) 1976

Rupe:

If you utilize the old decanters, you will imbue the nose of Mexican Coffee and stale sweet cream liqueur into your rum. I own that decanter, too, and it is cool. The design is apt to be inspired by Aztec (probably) or Mayan (possibly), rather than Inca or other SA tribes.

I have a fairly significant Mexican and Latin ceramic mug and decanter collection (mostly Tequila and Pisco brands), and while not Tiki culture, it is still indigenous polymorphic kitschy booze fun.

I have a significant Japanese and other Asian cultures mug/decanter collection, as well. Again, not tiki, but they sit in the Moa Lounge too, as I drink Mai Tais from Buddha's belly just as I do from Ku!

Pages: 1 2 replies