Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Where is Tiki Bong? (Part Deux)

Pages: 1 21 replies

R

O.K. Now what in the hell happened?

Did he insult somebody's momma? Wear white after Labor Day? Get caught listening to "Margaritaville"? Make a Mai Tai with pineapple juice? Or was it something more evil?

You Decide?

And we haven't heard from Aquaorama in about a month. Was he reassigned to a Coast Guard icebreaker in the Arctic?

K
Kono posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2005 7:26 PM

On 2005-08-24 17:20, cynfulcynner wrote:

And we haven't heard from Aquaorama in about a month. Was he reassigned to a Coast Guard icebreaker in the Arctic?

On 2005-08-10 19:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:

On 2005-08-10 19:19, Monkeyman wrote:
What is the creator doing this year to celebrate the holiday he invented?

I'll be in the great frozen tundra up norte! Chewing on seal blubber with the eskimos...

Maybe they are together up there... :-?

On 2005-08-14 23:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
(So, one can say something and get banned. One can say nothing and get deleted.)

[ Edited by: tikifish - Removed by tikifish for decoding. May return later. - 2005-08-15 10:14 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong 2005-08-15 19:14 ]

Maybe they are together up there with tikifish??

C

Last post I read from him was about some manly experience he had with the garbage disposal, I hope it didn't eat him up!

Somthing about rubbers??

H

Yeah really though. What's up? If you look at his profile it now shows that the number of his posts is zero.

I don't like the looks of this.

Perhaps this whole new approach of keeping non GM's out of Beyond and Bilge has something to do with Tiki_Bong?

Tiki_bong broke his probation (listed here) twice and generated many complaints; not just from new users but from longtime "bong supporters".

It came time that I simply couldn't justify keeping him here anymore.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2005 4:27 PM

If he was up your butt you would know where he was.

R

I guess freedom of speech and/or expression is overrated.

P

Bummer.
Glad I got his phone number.

Riptide, you asked me to let Bong back in the wrong topic so I'll answer you here:

Sorry, my decision stands. His schtick of broken promises and disappointments had long ago gotten old, tired, and predictable; and he crossed the line so egregiously this time that the decision came easily and was supported by many other longtime TCers.

~Hanford

R

On 2005-09-02 23:36, Riptide wrote:
Originally posted in the topic "UPDATE: Beyond and Bilge Talkback Topic" in the Main Discussion Forum

Thanks Hanford for bringing Beyond and Bilge back for all to enjoy.

Now, how about bringing the 3rd "B" in the trilogy back? I miss "Bong's" sarcasm's, incite, humor, and tiki knowledge. I know that he ruffled a few feathers (Hell, my first introduction to him was when he called out my "newbie status" in wanting to "help out" with an OC Tiki Crawl), but in the end I truly feel that this site is lessened by his absence. He is a founding part of this ohana, and we need to accept him "warts and all". Besides, as many sarcastic remarks he may have made towards other people, he has more than received back at him, and I don't see any other members being banished for their posts towards him.

In the end, since that first sarcastic post directed at me, Tiki Bong has become a good friend. I am truly saddened to see someone permanently barred from this site that has so much to offer to our tiki ohana on Tiki Central. It seems ironic that as this discussion of "trying to bring the focus of Tiki Central back to that of TIKI" that one of the "tiki'est" people I know can't make posts on the site that he was a founding member on. Yeah, he may have been a little "high and mighty" to some new members first posts, or a little sarcastic to people whose first posts were about their auctions, businesses, or things they wanted to sell, but I honestly feel he was just trying to keep this site as genuine to the style/art/concept of Tiki that it seems that many are trying to recapture.

I recall a thread from a few months back "Was Bilge Designed for Bong?" (or something like that) I hope you reconsider your decision on permanently banning Tiki Bong from Tiki Central, but if nothing else, how about letting him at least post in Bilge. I mean the description says, " Bilge, For drunken, waaaay off-topic, time killer or non-informative posts." How can anything posted there be held against him? He is often drunk!

On 2005-09-03 00:57, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Riptide, you asked me to let Bong back in the wrong topic so I'll answer you here:

Sorry, my decision stands. His schtick of broken promises and disappointments had long ago gotten old, tired, and predictable; and he crossed the line so egregiously this time that the decision came easily and was supported by many other longtime TCers.

~Hanford

Sorry, about that Hanford. I kind of realized that after I finished the post. My original intention was to just say thanks for bringing back Beyond & Bilge, but then I just kept typing. As inventor/creator/operator of this site, I respect your authority & right to do whatever you want with TC and allow whoever you want to be a part of it. However, Bong is a friend and I will always support and "have the backs" of my friends and family. Although I don't personally agree with your decision, I support your right to make it and keep it. I will continue to hope that you keep an open mind and maybe reconsider after a period of time. I am sure that even you will agree that he has a lot of tiki knowledge to offer and is a major part of the tiki community here in Southern California.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2005 1:03 PM

Yeah! How many years has it taken for this to happen? It should have happened ages ago. I don't care how much you like someone, if they are a problem, you take care of it. I am very surprised it ever did happen. Bad behavior on TC is rarely dealt with. Offensive posts are not deleted. Offensive posters are not dealt with. Offensive topics are not removed.

Maybe things are changing around here. I hope so. The ugly behavior on TC has me ready to leave for good.

On 2005-09-03 13:03, Swanky wrote:
Bad behavior on TC is rarely dealt with.

Swanky, you simply don't know what you're talking about. Bad behavior is taken care of all the time. However, I like to do it in private, in part so that the gawking-at-the-train-wreck effect (in topics, to a degree, like this one) doesn't occur. And when I deal with things in Public, the users in question tend to want to defend himself/herself in public and feel stifled if I don't let them. When I deal with things in PMs, I can discuss the issues with the user(s) at length to put things to rest.

And no one knows the number of banned users because it's a private list, and I don't share it.

Offensive posts are not deleted. Offensive posters are not dealt with. Offensive topics are not removed.

That's a gross misrepresentation of the real situation.
See here, for example. Or here. Or here, or here.

Not all offensive posts get deleted. Many never get reported by users. But mostly I've learned from experience that there are different approaches to take depending on the situation.

Often I ask a user to go back and edit it themselves. This can lead to a better understanding of what they did and less resentment about the situation. TC has had users who got edited by moderators temporarily explode under cries of "censorship!" and post dozens of inappropriate topics that I had to go back and delete. I've learned from those situations and others that taking the blanket approach of "delete it, lock it, ban it" is simply not the way to go.

I admit that things fall through the cracks from time to time, but the generalization of "Bad behavior on TC is rarely dealt with" is just not true. I don't think that every act of maliciousness should result in a ban of a user or a public shaming. I hope you agree with me.

~Hanford

UB

Maybe things are changing around here. I hope so. The ugly behavior on TC has me ready to leave for good.

Come on Swank! You know we couldn't get rid of you, if we wanted to.
Let's all take a deep breath, and remember why we come here.
I do!

UB

With respect to Bong's thread.
I miss ya, ya Wanka!
May the Tiki road rise to all of us, Kev.

P
pablus posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 5:46 AM

Well, TB is certainly lurking.
It's not difficult to get around a "ban," expecially if you don't come out swinging to say "I beat the ban!"

And further, I always like a little bitters in my drinks.
Same for forums - a bit of disagreement, a touch of sarcasm, a shot of wtf - makes a tastier forum, IMO.

Interesting that my buddy, Swanky, has a taste for sweet drinks and sweeter forums. :wink:

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 9:20 AM

On 2005-09-03 14:33, hanford_lemoore wrote:

Bad behavior on TC is rarely dealt with.

Swanky, you simply don't know what you're talking about. Bad behavior is taken care of all the time. However, I like to do it in private, in part so that the gawking-at-the-train-wreck effect (in topics, to a degree, like this one) doesn't occur. And when I deal with things in Public, the users in question tend to want to defend himself/herself in public and feel stifled if I don't let them. When I deal with things in PMs, I can discuss the issues with the user(s) at length to put things to rest.

And no one knows the number of banned users because it's a private list, and I don't share it.

Offensive posts are not deleted. Offensive posters are not dealt with. Offensive topics are not removed.

That's a gross misrepresentation of the real situation.
See here, for example. Or here. Or here, or here.

Not all offensive posts get deleted. Many never get reported by users. But mostly I've learned from experience that there are different approaches to take depending on the situation.

Often I ask a user to go back and edit it themselves. This can lead to a better understanding of what they did and less resentment about the situation. TC has had users who got edited by moderators temporarily explode under cries of "censorship!" and post dozens of inappropriate topics that I had to go back and delete. I've learned from those situations and others that taking the blanket approach of "delete it, lock it, ban it" is simply not the way to go.

I admit that things fall through the cracks from time to time, but the generalization of "Bad behavior on TC is rarely dealt with" is just not true. I don't think that every act of maliciousness should result in a ban of a user or a public shaming. I hope you agree with me.

~Hanford

Certainly, if you or others are removing items before anyone sees them, then we have no idea what level of crap we are being spared from.

We've had a few problem posters. Kahukini, Bong, Skunk. Maybe that was a while ago and things are changing. But, for the most part, it seemed everyone was given lots of second chances and often their naughty threads were just locked and not gotten rid of. The ugliness just left for all to see.

Maybe this is off this topic, but, I feel that flames should be put out immediately. Maybe I should reply on the other thread. Maybe I should stick to my guns and not express my opinion on TC any longer.

B

On 2005-09-04 09:20, Swanky wrote:

Certainly, if you or others are removing items before anyone sees them, then we have no idea what level of crap we are being spared from.

Hmmmm, kinda like ((Content Mutiny))?

The ugliness just left for all to see.

Well, the policy is to lock instead of delete whenever possible. It's not my job to remove people's feet from their mouths. If someone airs their ugly side here, I'd only be doing a disservice to the TC community by covering it up.

Who knows, Swanky, if I had deleted all of Bong's offensive posts so that very few ever saw them, perhaps you'd be arguing against his banning right now instead of being supportive of it.

Don't get me wrong -- I admit that Bong should have been gone long ago and that I was too soft on him. But I have tried many different moderation techniques here and learned the pros and cons of them firsthand. I'm always listening to people's feedback via U-Mods and posts like this and adjusting accordingly.

~Hanford

Pages: 1 21 replies