Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Davez_tikiz - finally finished one after 7 months!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 208 replies

Here's tiki #1, hopefully the first of many....

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2009-03-14 15:08 ]

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2009-03-18 10:35 ]

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2009-11-01 14:59 ]

B

This first tiki looks Great Doubravsky, can't wait for # 2. Looks like you learned a lot, lets see how you apply it in the next one..

Nice job, bold styling! keep up the good work!

Another carving geek is born! Welcome to the club - great first tiki, Dave.

M

Sweet first carving.

Welcome to TC

Mahalo

Thanks for all the great encouragement... I couldn't have done it (wouldn't even have tried) were it not for this forum!

Can't wait to start the next one!

Very cool face design - I like how his finish shimmers too.

Very nice. Now your gonna be addicted like the rest of us.

Yup... addicted I am. Every drive by a vacant lot I slow down and look for logs.

Here's #1, having taken his rightful place as ruler of the beer!

Looks like he's right at home there!

Here is #2.... he turned out a little better than #1. The stain turned out a little funny... on the forehead and teeth it darkened up quite a bit. I guess after burning I need to sand down better the areas around the burned lines.

Ready for #3! This one took about 1/3 the time to make as #1.

B

Very good Doubravsky , definately getting better. You are going to be a pro before you know it. I think the stain looks great, did you do anything different? You will find that every log stains differently. A lot depends on how dry the log is and what kind of wood it is and how you sanded or finished it.
Keep up the good carving.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 4:13 AM

Nice tikis. Like the way that guy looks on your bar.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 6:15 AM

Nice job, are they saw or hand tool carvings? Either way, those are stylin'!

-G

Thanks for the kind words....

G.. the first was pretty much chisel, the second hand tools.. angle/ die grinders. I just resanded the forehead... didn't like the way the stain came out. Have to redo the tattoing and restain. For some reason the wood is a few different colors through there.. is that common? I thought if I sanded it down a little further it would be uniform, but no go.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 9:40 AM

Yep, each piece of wood will have areas of tighter grain, knots, and burls that will take the stain differently. I think you'll find that those different areas give your wood pieces their character. Don't get hung up on it, it's what makes each one different. Post pics of it once you have stained it again. Nice job!

-G

Well, sanded him, re-did the forehead and re-stained...
with the little one for size.

B

They're both really nice. Love the forehead detail.
The yellowhair is the most realistic looking!!

Well here is #3... I split it and made it a mask, then stained some bamboo and made a frame. He's about 23" tall. He turned out ok!

Looking good!

Wow, "ok" it is Dave! Good idea with the frame. Now I will have to come see it in person in a couple of weeks. Nice work, definitely moving forward with your carving technique.

Aaron

OK? That is the biggest Understatement I've read here so far. That is an incredible job!!! Wow
Wes

Thanks for the kind words! All the encouragement really makes it feel like I am improving. #4 coming up soon!

"ok" certainly is firing a little short of what it is. You're just being modest, it's okay to jump for joy! that tiki came out great! especially for being #3.

I also like the companion wall-hanging next to your tiki mask...mmmm....guinness...

Thanks Poly for the kind words... I just tried your skinning technique on a 6' palm trunk last night... worked well!

Here is #4 - finished last night. Used my new Arbortech power chisel for the tattoo marks... worked like a charm! (thanks Benz for the tip). He is the other half left over cutting from #3...

He found his place at the front of the tiki bar where he protects the homebrewed beer from interlopers!

B

#4 has the palce of Honor and rightfully so. He really looks nice. Glad you like that power chisel. Just wait, you haven't even gotten started with it yet. Did you say you started #'s 5 and 6 already?

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-09-29 15:13 ]

HI DOUBRAVSKY .LOVE THE MASK AND FRAME LOOKING GOOD.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-09-29 14:57 ]

Lookout Inland Empire - There's a new carver in town! #4 really looks great, Doubravsky. I will see it (and you) this Sunday. Totally looking forward to it.

A-A

marcus, aaron, thanks for the kind words.

Here's the latest little things I've been workin on. Not much time this week for carving, so I played around with these two for the pool area to get some experience with the Arbortech carver. They only took about an hour each.

M

Doubravsky-
Nice job, also very quick. What kind of wood is that on the last two masks?
Wes

Moon... thanks. It is palm wood... a real dry, stringy log about 24" that I cut into three pieces for the masks.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2005 9:09 PM

DB,

Looks like you've been into the palm lately? You got some new tools too - the best tools. I'm going to expect some over the top pieces from you in the next few weeks.....bring them on!!!

-Gman

Gman.... feelin the pressure! I'll do my best... each one gets a little better. Its all due to Tiki Central and all the great people here! Without them I would never have even tried. Thanks!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 5:12 PM

DB,

No, no pressure, just fun. I can't wait to see all the trick things you can do with the Jedi chisels. Tikis come from inside of you. You can make an awesome one with a sharp rock if you have enough heart. I know you have the heart....and now you have the tools! Rock on!

-Gman

Here is #5 - just finished him last night. Whaddya think?

Geez, this one was only half finished when I stopped by yesterday! A nice addition to the small crowd of tiki's hanging out in your living room, Dave. They all seem to congregate near the pool table and home-brew taps - I wonder why??

B

Cuz they likes the beer, thatz why. Nice group you have going there Doubravsky. Prety soon you'llcarving these guys blindfolded., looking good.

Here is #6 - my first full body. Turned out not to be as hard as I thought. Picked a prettys imple body design. This has just 2 coats of spray polyurethane finish.

Can't wait to try the next one!

[ Edited by: doubravsky 2005-10-18 06:04 ]

B

Careful there, you're gonna start a reputation of carving Lots of tikis in a short amount of time. All your Buds will want one. You'll have to Expand yur home bar into the WHole living room and have to get a Giant Big screen TV so Everybody can watch you on video carving away at tikis for them all! When's the next tiki partee??
Excellent first fullbody. Nice clean lines. Proud you must be..

W

I think my favorite part is the mouths!

See, right by the kegger, what did I tell ya? Hey this one looks great, Dave. Your skills are multiplying right along with your tikis.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2005 4:59 PM

DB,

That's tight man! I like all of it. Keep working your cuts deeper and more exaggerated. You have it man! Remember to leave room for the width of the cuts. You da man!

-Gman

There's tikis all over the place! I'm likin this last one. He's fendin off attackers to the keg.

Ben... thanks much! Guess I'll have to slow down. Started on a 4' Ku... he'll slow me down for sure!

Wicked.. thanks for the props!

AA.. thanks... it is nice to look at the latest compared to the first just a few months ago. You were right.. it gets better! Your progress on the Lono pics are really helping me with the latest.. the profile drawings especially!

Gman... you're right... gotta go deeper. Been using the chainsaw a little more to get deeper on the one I just started.

surfin... the keg is definitely safe now! (although I hope the tikis can stop my teenage sons from tappin the keg!)

Lookin fine, D! I like the character that these guys have...

Well KU is done! This is after one coat of dark walnut stain... I'll probably do another coat and a lacquer.. but here it is. I probably need to sand between coats a little too... this log was pretty stringy and when I stained it all the fibers stood up big time.He is 4' tall... (sorry for the lighting, I just took the pics in the dimly lit garage).

He was a major stretch... with lots of obstacles to overcome. I found that the legs and arms were really tough to see... the arms ended up small cause I shoulda tapered the cut into the chest/side of the body more.

He has just started two cracks... and interestingly enough one ended up right on his buttcrack.. so now his ass goes up into his back!

Still, neither one is too big, and overall I'm really happy with it!

Stretching your talent to a higher level, I love it. We all inspire each other, that's the great thing about TC and the "creating" Forum especially. Ku looks really nice, Dave. All deep cuts, no log left, just tiki. Outstanding!

Aaron

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 4:54 PM

DB,

That's the shnizz! I like it all! Dude, that's some next level stuff right there! Congrats. And you were confused when you started....looks like you learned a thing or two (or ten). I am very impressed. Excellent job.

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 208 replies