Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

R.I.P. Bob Moog

Pages: 1 8 replies

There was a splendid NPR piece on the paranoid nutty savant Raymond Scott. It seems that his apprentice, a very young Moog was one of the few people that Scott would show his musical inventions to.

It's an interesting sequence of work...from "Dinner Music for a room full of Cannibals" to Boston's "More than a Feelin"...strange to ponder which holds up better.

I just noticed that a 90 minute program on Moog will be broadcast on KPBS tonite at 9:00 (Pacific Daylight time). I don't know if this is a rerun or something new but I plan oncheckin' it out.

I received a call at work the other day about Bob. Sad indeed.

Here's to you Mr. Moog. :drink: Keep on tweekin' that great oscillator in the sky.

-Z

I love anything weird and outre and always have. Loved the "Switched On Bach" album as a child but not I must confess that it doesn't hold up that well, in my opinion. But the score for "The Shining" (and to a much lesser extent, "Clockwork Orange") -- now that was really something!

Benjamin Franklin invented something called a glass harmonium (I think that's what it's called) and it made a weird and lovely noise (by rubbing one's wet fingers over revolving glass spheres) and guys like Mozart and Beethoven wrote pieces specifically for it. It really has the most lovely, etheral sound. The concerts written for the instrument are quite as boring as watching paint dry, in my opinion.

The Therimen -- and especially the story of its inventor -- are the bee's knees, in my book. But every "classical" piece written for a Therimen doesn't seem to work. But the score for "The Day the Earth Stood Still" -- on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give that a 20!

Anyway, thank you, Mr. Moog (never knew that it rhymed with "Vogue") for your wonderful invention, and when I get to heaven I'd very much like to buy you a drink.

On 2005-08-27 17:42, Satan's Sin wrote:
The Therimen -- and especially the story of its inventor -- are the bee's knees, in my book. But every "classical" piece written for a Therimen doesn't seem to work.

Check out Messiaen's "Turangalîla" symphony. It was written for the ondes-martenot, an early electronic instrument similar to the theremin.

thanks, cynful -- I will!

In my continuing attempt to make BBC6 Freakzone more popular worldwide this week Stuart Maconie is doing a tribute to Moog, you can listen to the show here until the 04/08/05..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/

J
Jawa posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 1:46 PM

I had a nice long post ready to go, then I switched screens and it all got erased...I have IE and Windows sometimes...

anyway, check out The Octopus Project, there is a therimen featured prominently...really down to earth band as well, they need to come back to my area.

Pages: 1 8 replies