Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Thoughts for PJ

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies

Has anyone heard from KokomoTiki? He's an ass, yes, but Kokomo, Ms, was hit pretty bad.

T

My auctions are not up yet, but I wanted people to feel free to use this little guy...

...as a secret symbol in any of their auctions if it is an auction for PJ!

[ Edited by: tikifish 2005-09-02 11:25 ]

PJ, how great to see you posting!!! Can't tell you how happy I am that you've got your nearest and dearest around you now AND that you got out when you did.

As you are a Cat Lady, The Mysterious Baby Weemus wished to send her love to you and yours too:

Mademoiselle Poisson, I think you are wonderful. Mew, chortle, great symbol. I'll be sure to check out your auctions, especially if I can't get it together quickly enough to do some of my own. I've been meaning to but--I just got a new camera (old one died) and I have NO idea how to use the darned thing. It's luvley but it's COMPLEX...I am whimpering because I used to be able to figure these things out without a manual, but, uh, not anymore.

Another thought: I know PJ had intended to sell at Hukilau. If she can't make it after all, perhaps--if enough of her stock escaped with her or if she can make more in the interim--some of us could sell it for her? I'd happily volunteer. That'd be good fun, in fact. Except that I'd have to restrain myself and let someone else buy some too. :wink:

xox, tikivixen

T

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16368&forum=12&2

The Ebay for PJ thread is now in effect - buy or sell and help out a friend!

Glad to her PJ and her family (human and feline) are all safe and doing well. PJ take care and let us know if there is anything we can do.

S

PJ,

I'm so glad to hear that you are alive. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and all those caught in the wake of Katrina. Please know that the love of the TC Ohana is with you.

God speed.

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 06:53 ]

PJ,

Johnny $ and I were talking this morning and thought that you and your family might have some needs of stuff, like clothes, toiletries or anything else that could be hard to access right now. Would you want to post a list of needs and clothing sizes with a shipping address (the hotel?) that we could help you and the family and kitties in any way.

waikiki kitty and johnny $

PJ,

Just a quick peek at all the above messages will let you know that there are a bunch of people ready to help out as much as they can. If you can tell us what you need and in waht priority, I've no doubt we can get what's important to you damn fast. Just tell us and I've no doubt Tiki Central will be behind you.

And I'm glad to hear you are safe.

Trader Woody

I've heard from a lot of people that they don't know if they feel right about going out for a drink or a good meal, or seeing a movie, or generally enjoying themselves while we down here have nothing...

I had a birthday luau planned for the weekend right after 9/11. I too wondered if it might not be irreverent to laugh and joke at such a time.

Now I know...PLEASE go on with your lives normally! We need to know that life is normal somewhere...it gives us some sense of security, believe it or not.

Waikiki kitty, we are OK for now...we have the bare necessities to get along here at the hotel, and not a lot of spare room for much more. But maybe when we get to a more permanent location, I may want to make a few wishes.

Thanks again everyone...it means a lot to know we're not alone in this. Really.

[ Edited by: purple jade 2005-09-03 13:45 ]

D

ANYTHING you need PJ please let us know!!!

It probably goes without saying, but just in case.

Anybody who pledged money to the Erect a Tiki at Tiki Gardens thingy, take that twenty bucks that you pledged and give it to ANY organisation that is helping out!!!

Or better yet, you could pledge 20 bucks for a statue, how much for a mass of humanity needing your help?

It was heartbreaking hearing the pleas of people stranded by this storm on the radio yesterday.

Maybe we should set up a Tiki Central Emergency Relief Fund!

I hope PJ, and all of the residents of the many states hit by Katrina get all of the attetnion and aid that they need.

Hang in there.

Glad to hear you are O.K. P.J.........Keep us posted. Aloha.....

V
virani posted on Sun, Sep 4, 2005 1:50 AM

I wasn't able to check internet the last week, but thought about you a lot PJ. I'm glad you and your family are fine.
Bravo tikifish, you had a wonderful idea with the auction.

I'm watching a news report now about rescuing abandoned animals from the evacuated areas, trying to find out if I can possibly locate my feral outside cat, Fellini, that I had to leave behind because I couldn't catch him.
I have been heartsick wondering if he survived the storm and if so, would he even would allow rescuers to pick him up? He is a beautiful silver tabby whose tail curls into a perfect circle.

If you haven't already decided on a worthwhile effort to give a donation, please consider some of the national animal welfare organizations that are taking the time to rescue, care for, and reunite the abandoned pets with their owners.

Again, thank you all for your efforts and concerns on our behalf. The eBay auctions are incredible, I don't know how I will ever be able to express my gratitude to everyone.

Wow! I feel bad that I am posting this so late. P.J. this has been a very tough year for you and your family. From Tropical Storm Dennis to this unbelievable disaster of Katrina, the Tiki Gods have not been kind. Even though we have not met, I would like to send out my best to you and your family. Plus any other Louisiana native that has had to deal with this tragedy. From myself to every T.C.er, stay strong! God bless!

Hey PJ, so sorry you had to leave one of your kitties behind. I've also been hearing about pet rescue efforts in New Orleans. Even despite the many terrible things that have come out of last week, it would still seem that the eventual reunion of people with their animal companions could really help a lot with the emotional healing after all they've had to endure.

You can read about what the Humane Society is doing here:
http://www.hsus.org/

In the video on the site, they said they will take pics of the animals they find and post them on petfinder.com:
http://www.petfinder.com/

BTW, I'm really glad you are able to post on TC right now. After all the awful stories on the news it's just good to know that you are surviving this and staying well.

B

I'm OK.

I'm sorry to worry y'all, but we've had no phones, internet, or way to get in touch.

PJ...I want to try to get together with you now that you are in BR and help you any way I can. I've been worried sick about you and only had your home telephone number. I'll send you a PM.

Thank you all for your thoughts. We had a tornado touch down on our house during the hurricane and it blew over a 100-year-old oak tree that fell right on our house. We've been removing that.

When we got the all-clear, we drove to Waveland, MS, where we had been last Thursday burying my grandfather (who died the week before the storm). His house is devastated, but was still standing with all of his worldy possessions in about a foot of mud. We went back to take out what we could but there was something in the mud that made us very sick.

Today has been an attempt at returning to normal. The gas lines are long and prices high and getting to work has been difficult. On top of that, my car broke down last night and it's now in the shop! All the same, I have been counting my blessings that the people I love lived through this. I can't write for long, as I'm at work and I must attempt to do something today.

I just want to thank you all for your kind words of support and compassion. The outpouring of kindness and support in this tragedy doesn't often make the news, but it's everywhere. I have witnessed humanity at it's best, and that is what I will take with me through all of this.

Your friendship is so valuable to me!

Kimberly

How about a carving to jump start your future new tiki room? Just shoot me a PM.

I wanted to say I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond personally to everyone who has sent anything to us, from donations to email good wishes. It's getting more and more difficult to get an internet connection (we don't have wireless here), and well, I'm just not altogether...together. Please, please, please include your names and snail mail addresses so that I can properly thank you if and when I have my wits about me again.

Kimberly, it's so great to hear from you, I've been fretting about your welfare too.

I'm not having such a great day today, sorry not to have any really great news. Although they've been letting some people in to the city, my house is still completely cut off...if you've seen the pictures on the news of the football stadium full of water, that's about three blocks or so from my house.

My husband had accepted a job as vice-president of a locally owned industrial machinery company about a week before the storm. Three of the company's branch offices were destroyed and the main office was cleaned out by looters. Long story short, there's no company anymore, and he now has no job.

It is doubtful that I will be able to enter my own house after the water drains because of the contagion situation. Even if anything is salvageable, it would probably be too contaminated for me to handle because of my health issues.

People have made comments about my "getting back to work" and purchasing future PJT products. I'm sorry to say, that's not very likely. I just won't have any time, energy, or finances to spare on that for a long time. Honestly, at this point, I can't imagine ever feeling like doing it ever again anyway.

I've never had to accept charity before in my life and I don't exactly know how to do it gracefully. I don't really have much choice otherwise. Please forgive me as I stumble through this unfamiliar territory.

OL

PJ, just take care of one moment at a time. Try not to worry about responding to e-mails, or getting back to work, or dealing with everything that seems overwhelming right now.

If you can, let us know what you need. We want to help.

H

PJ, we would love to help in any way that will suit you, please let us know.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-09-06 21:41 ]

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 7:03 AM

I got a reply email from Mary Wahl this morning. She and Armead live in Metarie:

Hi Tim,
Thanks so much for checking on us. Armead and I are both doing fine. She evacuated to Panama City, Florida with her family and I with my husband and family and all our animals to Birmingham, Alabama. (This was the closest place that we could find a hotel) We are staying at a Pet Friendly hotel up here and will be indefinitely until we see how long we will have to stay out of Jefferson Parish. We live about 20 miles from downtown New Orleans where all the bad flooding is. If that 17th Street Canal would have broken on our side of the levee, we would have had about 15 feet of water in our house. Seems none of us had bad wind damage, just a few shingles off and some wood showing on the roofs. Armead said her house did not have water in it at all but my husband is going into town tomorrow to see how our house made out, water wise.
A friend told us that there was a water mark on the outside of the house so we MAY have taken on a little water but not much. I am so ancy to know. And we left the house so suddenly that Sunday, that I had a few things on the floor at the house that I hope did not get ruined. Otherwise we made out OK.
I don't know how long it will be till we can return home but they say at least another 2 or 3 weeks till the conditions are healthy and safe. I will be so disappointed if we don't get to come to Hukilau. I have been so looking forward to it all year long. And really need it now with all the stress.
There has been a vendor that signed up for Hukilau that I have been in touch with, that lives in New Orleans. Name is Purple Jade Tiki. I wonder how he
made out?
I'll keep in touch and let you know how things are going and if we are able to make it down to Hukilau for sure. But I'm not gonna give up. I'll wait until the last minute to decide before I make that decision. If we are not back home yet, there is nothing I can do then. Just depends on the power coming on, safe drinking water etc.
That is wonderful of you to do the fundraiser. Thanks so much! We personally don't need anything at this time but hearing from friends like you that
care means a whole lot.
Thanks again for your thoughtfulness and I'll keep you posted on conditions with us.
-Mary

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 8:23 AM

I'm working with Kiliki to see if we can't put the idea into action on the Hukilau site. Rather than going through Ebay where they take a cut and then potentially PayPal takes a cut, we could do a direct PayPal, mail-in "sale" and get more bang for the buck there. "Swizzles against Katrina" maybe.

M

On 2005-09-06 20:47, purple jade wrote:

I've never had to accept charity before in my life and I don't exactly know how to do it gracefully. I don't really have much choice otherwise. Please forgive me as I stumble through this unfamiliar territory.

PJ-You would not be accepting charity because you and your husband are LAZY, you would be accepting it because you two NEED it. There is nothing to be ashamed of with that. This hurricane is not something you two caused. How do you accept charity gracefully? Simple-just say thank you. People are willing to help, I hope you allow us. Thanks--bruce

M

I'm not having such a great day today, sorry not to have any really great news.
People have made comments about my "getting back to work" and purchasing future PJT products. I'm sorry to say, that's not very likely. I just won't have any time, energy, or finances to spare on that for a long time. Honestly, at this point, I can't imagine ever feeling like doing it ever again anyway.

In my sometimes wrong opinion, it seems too early to think of things like your incredible tiki products. PJ, I am talking to the OTHERS here and not you. You don't need any pressure right now. I know the TC folks dOn't mean it as pressure, but it seems in my opinion that PJ needs our best wishes, prayers and some breathing space right now. We shouldn't be asking her to do stuff for US. Even if we do want those tiki treasures in the FUTURE.
I hope no one misunderstands what I am trying to say. Does any of this make sense?? :)

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2005 9:00 AM

Heard from Mary after she actually got to see her house. Worse than she thought:

B

My husband had accepted a job as vice-president of a locally owned industrial machinery company about a week before the storm. Three of the company's branch offices were destroyed and the main office was cleaned out by looters. Long story short, there's no company anymore, and he now has no job.

I sent you a PM. I know of some headhunters locally that may be able to help him. Also, the building where I work is a buzz of activity and I imagine there's something available for him.

PJ,

I do hope you're well. I have been thinking of you and came across this photo yesterday and thought it was only appropriate to post it here. Remember, you were coming to Atlanta and couldn't make it? Well, we were so missin' you that after several cocktails, decided to write you a message.

My thoughts are with you.

Pictured here are Basement Kahuna (lookin' mighty snazzy in his suit I might add), myself, Heather, Kava King and his lovely wahine Michelle and JTB

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-09-11 19:48 ]

(staring, looking closer)

Is that...lipstick on your napkins???

For PJ and all others affected by Katrina: yes, it sucks to have to accept aid when you've always stood on your own before. But 1) it's not like you did anything to cause this situation, it’s not your fault and 2) remember the aid you receive is partly karma deservedly coming back to you as well as possibly your own tax dollars you've already paid into the system. So, see, it's all just rightfully yours anyway...at least in my opinion.

And even though everything is pretty bleak right now with no jobs or homes, keep in mind that people who still have their wits about them (and yes, I'm sure that's questionable too at times like these) always seem to get back to where they were in life. My grandmother had to leave her town in France after WWII because there were no jobs or resources. Food was scarce, much had been destroyed and she had 4 children to care for by herself. She had to head out for another town to find work and moved her family there.

In fact, when the Americans arrived in her town, they were handing out care packages of food and such, but my grandmother refused saying she didn’t accept charity. My mom and her siblings had recently brought home a stray dog (which did not please my grandmother since there was already so little food) so my grandma handed the dog to the soldier offering the package. He understood that she was trying to pay for the package with the dog so she got food for her children and the soldiers apparently gained a mascot for their troop.

In another example, some Hungarian friends of my parents were practically run down by Russian tanks trying to escape in the revolution of '56. They hid wherever they could, barely had anything but the clothes on their backs and stole eggs from farms along the way to feed themselves. They somehow and eventually found their way across the border to freedom and completely started their lives over. I'm not sure what they exactly did next, but 6 years later they were in the states making a good living and eventually bought a nice house here in Los Angeles.

Anyway, I know those situations were quite a while ago, but I give these examples as hope that even in the most seemingly hopeless situations, there IS the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. It's only a matter of time (perhaps a while) before your husband finds a replacement job, but meanwhile try to just take one day at a time. I read that the donations to relief efforts are setting records so hopefully all the help you need will be there for people like you to rebuild your lives one step at a time. I don't pretend to know what it feels like in your shoes right now. I just want to give you hope that there will be a day in the future when things will be a lot better. It may just take a while and some help from others to get there.

Also remember that giving helps us too. It helps us feel like we can put a faster end to the awful reports we are witnessing.

And by all means, please do post your list of necessities when you do need them.

S

I put this together last week and then had to make some last minute changes, but now it's up.

Swizzles for the Ohana

It's sort of like those 4 leaf clovers you get for donating at the grocery store or whatever, but it will be Hukilau swizzles. I'll take them to Hukilau with me and give them out to people to put in their drinks as a reminder of Purple Jade and Mary and Armead who will not be with us due to Katrina. I will also take donations at the event.

It seems Armead and Mary don't have a great need, so, all the money will go straight to PJ who appears to have lost nearly everything.

D

I am so glad you did this, it's a great idea!

OK today we were able to get past the checkpoints and into our area even though it's officially still restricted. The Nat'l Guard is being merciful to the desperate and frustrated Lakeview residents.

We kept hearing differing reports of the water levels, toxicities, and general devastation, so we weren't 100% sure what our house would look like. But now it's official...we've lost everything.

The area looks like it has undergone a nuclear assault. All vegetation is dead or dying from the water and/or toxins, and the landscape (such as it is) is a grey-green accented by areas of brown and black. There's no way to describe it. The smell of death and decay is indescribable. It's like every apocalyptic movie you've ever seen.

My house looks like a disgusting sno-globe, everything has been picked up and tossed around. (Note the side-by-side refrigerator lying on its side in the kitchen.) The french doors in the back were apparently blown open by the force of the water. I found a box of my sewing notions halfway down the driveway. All my bookshelves fell to pieces and every single book is trash (including my padded cover BOT).

The water level from the ground was approx. 8 feet. That means about 5 feet in the raised part of the house, and 7 1/2 in the slab part.

There is still about 4-6 inches of quite putrid water in my den, and the rest of the house has about 3-4 inches of slippery, tarry black yuck on the floor. We had to climb in a window because we couldn't open the swollen door. I'm not sure what I imagined I'd see, but my imagination could not come up with anything nearly as horrible as the reality of it.

This Shutterfly link shows the Lakeshore area, en route to my house, and then my house. (Anyone who's been to Kiliki's website may recognize the Lakeshore bus shelter pic.)

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AYuXLRo3buXJA

B

Well PJ, that slid show was about more heartbreaking than anything I have seenyet, and to know that was your home in ruins just doubles the agony. I truely hope things are looking up for you and the rest of your family. Just know we care and we will do anything to help.

Pj , I sit here with tears in my eyes for you. After the floods we had this summer I know what a mess it can be, Please take care of your self and your family. Cpt panties sends his regards aswell.

pj, thank you for sharing those images ~ it is difficult for us to get a feel for the actual conditions there and you really drove it home with those. we are continuing to keep you in our thoughts and are here for you when you need us. all the best, j$

S

Just staggering.

Oh, PJ, I'm just nauseated, and I'm not even there to smell it. I can't even tell you how sad it all makes me. Yours is the first of my friends' lost homes of which I've seen fotos. And none of them had, well, the STYLE that you have, so I feel your loss most of all. :cry:

I have a spare BOT that's all yours. It's not a padded cover, but it's still one tiny thing I can replace. It's waitin' 'til you have a place to put it.

And you can be proud of me - the refugee big black lab that I took in (along with his master whose home is also in utter ruins in Chalmette, that one's bandmate, and her boyfriend) is now essentially mine. I may not have been able to adopt a lot of newly homeless animals, but I could take in one big one. (Although the possum that lived under the house isn't exactly thrilled..... and neither are the stray kitties I try to feed.)

(sssssh about that last part - I have to maintain my facade as a cat-hater....well, dog-favorer over cat-favorer....ah hell, who am I kidding. I'm an animal-lover.)

Anyway, let me (any of us) know what I/we can be on the lookout for for you, regarding replacing things. Houston has a lot of thrift stores and antique shops with cool stuff, though needless to say, the 100,000 or so displaced New Orleanians are going be going thru it fast! But I know we'd all love to help you with more than just words and money (which are both perfectly wonderful) if we can.

PJ, I feel there is very little I can do here from far away Bavaria, but at least I can promise you my very last padded cover BOT copy I own. I kept it for something special, and now I know what for.
I won't be home til December, but you should have it for X-mas.

Yours with all my sympathy, Sven

Hey PJ- Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. I can't even imagine how it must feel to return to those conditions. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I am about 2 hours east of NO. You have our number if we can be of help. Don't hesitate to call.

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2005-09-19 17:20 ]

M

I am glad I can't view shutterfly because I am already trying not to cry from your description. I am speechless.

T

I'm totally shocked. I can't imagine how that must feel, PJ.

Were you able to save anything at all?

T

Your description and pictures brought tears to my eyes. My thoughts are with you and your family.

PJ, I don't know what to say. Just get through this, and collect as many karma points as you can.

FA

On 2005-09-18 17:44, Benzart wrote:
Well PJ, that slide show was more heartbreaking than anything I have seen yet, and to know that was your home in ruins just doubles the agony. I truly hope things are looking up for you and the rest of your family. Just know we care......

Ben pretty much said it for me, I can only hope that the passage of time will flow quickly for you and yours and heal as much in it's passing.

PJ's sculpt is a few days out from being done. I have decided upon the launch & the price... 500 pieces at $40 per mug. I have a full cost matrix at the office which I am going to share with a US Governemnt Federally certified not for profit company who will oversee the sales. I propose a prebook/prepay with the shipping happening in January 2006. This way, we can fund PJ post haste. All upfront fees (sculpting, tooling, packaging materials, production pieces, etc.) will be paid for to my artists & factory in advance to push the project forward quickly.

There is A LOT of great feedback regarding how to roll this out. Especially awesome was the post from Bax. However, I am donating my time 100% to this and I need to keep it simple. I've already got a lot of hours into this and I need to keep the Farm moving forward, too. It will be an awesome good-will project and there are some fun future elements involved through some great TC input (i.e. individually hand glaze painted mugs visa vie our fellow noted Tiki artists and a "paint your own contest" where not only will PJ benefit but so will the winner of the contest). All for now... I'm out and snooze bound!

Mahaloz & our thoughts I'm sure are all with you PJ!!
Holden

On a great separate note... Squid, my very good friend and longest time sculptor for TF is doing this project for $100!!! That's unheard of and he didn't bat an eye - when I described the project to him, he stepped up to the plate like the unbelievable guy that he is and simply said "I'm in"... please send him an email thanking him - you can reach him at [email protected]

On 2005-09-20 21:40, smogbreather wrote:
he stepped up to the plate like the unbelievable guy that he is

Talk about stepping up to the plate?!?! It takes one to know one! Holden, this project sounds unbelievable to me, what a wonderful thing your making happen. It's nice to know people are helping where and however they can. I can't wait to see the final piece.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-09-21 07:20 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 116 replies