Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Nan Madol

Pages: 1 2 replies

Polynesian/Pacific lore and History are one of my favourite things, and this is one place that intrigues me and I plan to vitit in the future.
I don't know many people that have even heard of this, but I could be totally wrong , so please chime in with more info.

In terms of age, engineering achievement, and sheer mystery, the ancient ruins of Nan Madol off the coast of Ponape rank alongside the moai of Easter Island, the ancient maraes (temples) of Tahiti, and the Menehune fish ponds of Hawaii.
Nan Madol is a series of artificial islets built on the tidal flats and reef bordering Temwen Island, one of Ponapes small satalite islands.
Scientists believe the islets were built in the early 13th century by the Saudeleurs, a dynasty of Ponape rulers.
Using slabs and log-shaped pieces of Basalt, the Sandeleurs built royal houses, temples, tombs, cerimonial halls, an administrative centre, artificial lake, playing feild, special bathing rooms, feast house, and pools to keep fish, turtles and eels. The size of the complex is amazing: the islets stretch along the flats for over 2km. Manmade channels wind through the complex; they are nagivable by boat at high tide, traversable by foot at low tide.
For 16 generations the Sandeleurs reigned over Ponape before they were succeeded by the Nahnmwarki dynast. The last residents of Nan Madol probably left the islet city 3-400 years ago. Since then descendents have lived on Temwen Island. The llife and activities of the rulers still pervade the folklore of present day Ponapeans.

Taken from 'Islands of the South Pacific'

CheekyTiki,
Interesting information! I never knew about it. Are you familiar with any websites or pictures available showing details?

E
Erika posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2005 9:28 AM

William Ayres at the University of Oregon (go Ducks!) does archaeological research there. There's a little information among his web pages, plus some references:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Ewsayres/index.html
(Click on Pohnpei in the left column [under Pacific], then Nan Madol.)

Here's another site with some information:
http://www.pohnpeiheaven.com/nanmadol.htm

Pages: 1 2 replies