Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Florida Rum & Ingredient Finder

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

Chip, I'm SO SORRY. Had I known this info was meant to be private, I would have kept a zipped lip. Guess its little consolation to say they only had one bottle of 15 yr when I first visited.

The funny thing is its listed as Hollywood Liquors in the yellow pages, while the signs and advertisements say Hollywood Discount Liquors. I went with the Yellow Pages version out of security.

Again, my sincerest apologies.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 6:55 PM

By strange coincidence (its very rare for me to be in a liquor store) I was in Winn-Dixie Liquors today and had a peek into the grocery cart that's full of the marked-down sale items. Imagine my joy when I saw four bottles of Cockspur 5 Star marked down to $10.99 a bottle! The 5 Star is one of my all-time favorite gold rums so I immediately grabbed all the bottles. I checked out the shelf space where it is usually stocked and there were no other bottles, nor was there the little empty spot behind a price marker designated for Cockspur rum. I asked if they were going to discontinue sales and the woman at the register assured me that "no, its just on sale" but I have my doubts.

Grab it up while you can. Even if its not being phased out its still a GREAT rum and a bargain at $11 a 750ml.

G

On 2006-09-01 18:55, Kono wrote:
its very rare for me to be in a liquor store

How about "licker" stores?

Sorry... cross-thread joke. :)

In honor of the upcoming Hukilau, I figured I give a report on the liquor stores close by to assist the out-of-towners.

There are 4 liquors stores off the 17th street causeway, which is one of the couple of ways to get to A1A, where the Yankee Clipper and Bahia Cabana reside.

Here is a brief review on 3 of the 4 stores. The fourth store was less equipped than your average Walgreens.

Total Wine & Spirits
1906 Cordova Rd, Ft. Lauderdale
(954) 828-9463

17th Street crosses Cordova.
Wow, what an incredible place if you are a wine person. HUGE selection from all over. But I digress because this is really about rum.
The rum selection is just okay, but had a couple of nice staples.
St. James Amber and Extra Old.
Ron Diplomatico
Pritchards, 80 proof
Also found a rum from Barbados I've never seen before.
Anyone know anything about Doorly's? They had it in dark, white & XO.

67 Wine & Spirits
1317 S.E. 17 Street, Ft. Lauderdale
(954) 767-9099
Call to find out closing time. Current hours indicate closing @ 9 PM.
Its actually north on Cordova, across from the Winn Dixie.
Rum selection is okay. Kinda pricier on a few items by a dollar or two.
Of especial note was Mt. Gay Premium White. First time I've seen it in FL. They also have three types of the Voodoo Tiki Tequila behind the counter (blanco, resposado & anejo). VERY expensive.

Crown Wine & Spirits
1645 Cordova Road, Ft. Lauderdale
(954) 525-6565
They carry ORGEAT! Just saw it on bottom of the rum section.
Also have St. James Amber. Angostura 1919 as well.
And for a special laugh, look at the "Instant Mai Tai mix" that doesn't require any alcohol. Ick but funny!

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2007-03-30 10:39 ]

On 2006-09-10 20:20, I dream of tiki wrote:
They also have three types of the Voodoo Tiki Tequila behind the counter (blanco, resposado & anejo). VERY expensive.

How much is "very expensive"? The lady at the local Wal-Mart market store told me they will be carrying it "probably next week" and said it's somewhere in the $30-$40 range.

When I glanced at the prices, each was $50 and up. One of them was above $80.
Wish I had taken notes. Do call them to confirm the pricing.

Sounds like anyone wanting to try might do better to purchase through a local who can get a better deal.

HL

I stopped into Detroit Liquors in downtown St. Petersburg last night to pick up some concert tickets and discovered...

they stock all of the Trader Vic's rums!

I picked up a bottle of the dark to try out -- $15.99.

The store owner is from California so he gets stuff that he likes and misses on the east coast. We talked for awhile -- he used to stock the Trader Vic's syrups but no one bought them, so he stopped. He seems like the type of guy who would order a case for us if we got together.

The store is on the corner of Central and 2nd in St. Pete.

The Crown Liquors up my way (US 1, Jensen Beach) has a pretty good selection or rums at reasonable prices. They were the ones that were able to get me two bottles of Saint James Hors D'Age but they didn't even know what Orgeat was let alone have it on a shelf! And . . . NO orange Curacao!

GH

On 2006-09-29 07:00, GentleHangman wrote:
...And . . . NO orange Curacao!

You can really blow thier mind and ask for Red Curacao.... :wink:

You can use Blue for any cocktail, just be aware of what it is going to do to the color of your cocktail. Some drinks go in cereamic mugs for this very reason.....

I'd sooner down a can of 'Old Frothingslosh" beer than put Blue Curacao in my Mai Tai! Fortunately my local Winn Dixie Liquors has Orange Curacao. The only thing you can't do at the Winn Dixie is ask any questions . . . because the person at the counter usually hasn't a clue.
I'm really surprised that the Crown Liquors hasn't any of the mixing syrups . . . they have huge displays of cheese and crackers, condiments, exotic finger food, olives, onions, etc., etc., but no Orgeat or long garnish spears. Pity

GH

On 2006-09-30 06:30, GentleHangman wrote:
...I'm really surprised that the Crown Liquors hasn't any of ...

I can' speak for the whole Crown company, but my local shop has been willing to order just about anything I ask for. Getting friendly with the manager seems to help, but just make yourself a 'known regular' and they will be able to find a few more things for you on thier regular orders.

It's unlikely I'll ever become one of their "regulars" being that I'm a Type 2 Diabetic and have to carefully control my alcohol intake... and also they are about 8 to 10 miles North of where I live. I actually 'stumbled'(bad choice of word?) across the place when I was coming home from an eye exam and thought I'd just check it out. As I said before they were willing to get the Saint James Hors D'Age for me (minimum 2-bottle order), but when it came to the Orgeat or other syrups they simply said that they have no call for it and would have to get it by the case.

So, I just wait until I need another 4 bottles or orgeat, throw in a few other syrups and order it online. It would just be nicer, next time I go up that way for glasses or an eye exam to be able to stop off there on my way home and 'stock up' on Hors D'Age, Orange Curacao and Orgeat, but I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part.

GH

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:09 ]

P

In St. Pete you can find Trader Vics syrups and many brands of fine rums, etc. at a place called Norman's - it's on St. Pete Beach.
Koka Nut discovered it - so it could be all made up in his mind - but he did show up with the goods the other night so maybe he's onto something real for a change.

T

Ah, St. Pete Beach: "Newlyweds and nearly deads"
Great Place by me called 688 liquors right by the bridge to Indian Rocks Beach ... Very well stock !!!!

South Florida Ohana.....

The Walgreen's Liquors on Federal at Stirling in Ft Lauderdale has TV Macadamia Nut Liquor. Well, the are short one bottle now..... She said they have a full case in back.

The Walgreens Liquors on US 1 in Stuart also has TV brands of rum including Kahana Bay Premium Gold and Macadamia Nut Liquor. I've actually substituted the TV Premium Gold (out of necessity, of course) for my usual Appelton Estates VX in a few Mat Tais . . . . quite acceptable!

Walgreens seems to have become the local Trader Vic's rum & liquor distributor. I just went into a regular Walgreens by my house in West Hollywood, FL and found the pretty bottle to Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liquor as well as Trader Vic's Kona Coffee Liquor. Might even be in a store near you!

Also, I found a store on Sunrise Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale that prides itself on having El Dorado 15 yr in stock. The staff was really nice.

Cellars Wine & Spirits Warehouse
1739 E. Sunrise Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33304
(954) 764-4764

The store is a little more than a stone's throw north away from Hukilau.

J
Jawa posted on Sun, May 13, 2007 3:30 PM

Whew, I have not been on in a while and my how this topic has grown!

My wife and I were out at Sloppy Joe's on Treasure Island (near St. Pete Beach) and I noticed that the Walgreen's across the street had a liquor store. They carried a lot of the different Trader Vic's rums and liquors, but not the syrups or mixers. I grabbed a bottle of the Macadamia Nut Liquor and we are looking forward to trying the Chi Chi and Pablus' rendition of the Prince Kuhio tonight.

I am going to have to reassociate myself with this thread before the Hukilau...hope to see some of you there!

• Jason
J
Jawa posted on Sun, Mar 21, 2010 11:16 PM

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let people know that I found Lemon Hart 151 at Total Wine here in Tampa a few weeks ago. Apparently someone had ordered both Coruba and Lemon Hart rums and did not pick them up...

In any case, after seeing they had Lemon Hart I had a little talk with the store manager and basically explained that when the place opened the rum selection was rather poor but the manager then stated that they could not special order. Apparently that guy is long gone and the newer manager was very pleasant and more than willing to take special orders.

As of a few days ago there was still some Lemon Hart 151 available...think it was about $25-30.

Here is his contact info:

Steven Piazza
813-350-9601
Tampa location of Total Wine

• Jason

Pages: 1 2 67 replies