Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Has anyone carved a pedestal for a glass gazing ball?

Pages: 1 15 replies

E

I have this cool ocean blue swirly glass-blown gazing ball that sits on a tall white column in the back yard. I'm in the process of moving so re-evaluating everything and deciding what I do and don't want anymore. I was thinking it would look so cool in a pedestal that had a tiki carved into it. Has anyone ever done this? If so, please direct me to the photos!

I've taken a photo of the gazing ball before and see if I can find it (not an easy task with the number of photos I take). Yay! I found the photo right away:

Mahalo for any help. :)

C

I sculpt tiki and it would be very easy to make a tiki pole for your ball.I have made pedestals for bird baths and tiki face pots for plants.The same concept applies.check out carving posts{made of stone} shows some of the styles I have done.

E

Thanks so much for directing me to your work, Capotiki...your tikis are fantastic and you are very talented! I have limited time to be poking around in here right now so i appreciate your post. I may not deal with outdoor stuff until the Spring but want to get the ideas in my head and the possibilities going as well.

I also would like to add a tiki stool to this area of log stools at this lookout point at my new place eventually, but I guess that should go in a different post. Again, not something I may act on right away, but want to look into my options. I'm kind of envisioning a stool that is comfortable with my height when I sit down and that might have a small back support, and a killer tiki design!

close up:

TikiTony and i have both made bench's . I dont think it would be that hard to add a back to one. here is the one I did.

Nice space to work with.

THAT IS AWESOME!!! I like everything about it AND I've seen your work in person.

I tried to talk to you earlier today in chat, Rodeo. I asked you if you ever make it to Seattle then all of a sudden we had a downpour and I had to go let the cat in (we cats don't like our fur soaked) and when I returned you still hadn't answered and I had to get going soooooo... I'll ask again. :)

I'm not in any rush for one so maybe in the next few months if you head to the Seattle area we could meet up? Don't make me have to wait until the next Vancouver event next summer! Put me on your list.

H

Looks like a sweet place. That ball looks real cool too. Should tiki up quite nicely.

B

For the gazing ball it would be neat to have the tiki Holding the ball in his hands over his head.

That's a cool idea Benzart... :)

aloha - cool place you got going there exoticat. Here's a table I did, but it wold be easy to imagine a globe above his head with a little modification to the design.

E

i like that idea too, Benzart!

And Polynesiac..that table...

:::drool droooooooool ::::

I do have a deck that I will eventually want to make more comfortable (in a polynesian way), but I overthink things when it comes to design so would have to figure out exactly what my needs are. I will have to do more exploring of this carving section! Has anyone ever done a tiki loveseat with maybe a male and female tiki on either end? That might be interesting for that spot in the pics above too.

I wish it were May right now instead of heading into October because I'm in the NW and the rain will be coming soon. sigh. That doesn't exactly inspire one to work on a deck...

However, I am going to do a mural wall in my new pad so my vision of doing an underwater Hutikihi scene has come back to life and I'm stoked about that. I CAN paint while it rains too. :wink:

My new house is about the size of a glorified cracker jack box -- ha ha -- but I'm going to tikize the whole place! It'll be "Hutikihi II - An Island Oasis" when I'm done. Hopefully a few of the people here will be a part of it via their art.

I dont get to travel to often ,but I am sure we could work on something. The idea about a tiki holding a gazing ball has got me thinking. I am currently trying to figure out how to get a gumball machine sunk into the belly of one. (shhhhh its a secret )

B

YES Polyniac, that is Exactly what I was talking about. Your tiki could be changed a bit to hold the globe. A Row of them down the walkway Holding a Rope. and then matching table and chairs with Matching lamp and foot stool. Oh yes did I say Bar stools and the Bar itself? Exoticat I think Polyman is your guy. Of course any of the tiki carvers could do this but he already has it down pat.

E

Well, Poly does meet my strict criteria of what I look for--his profile says his interests are "having fun"!!! That works for me! :)

Rodeo, the kids will LOVE a gumball machine in a tiki...can't wait to see that project finished.

It's fun to brainstorm on tiki ideas... has anyone done a tiki designed specifically as a cat tree/lounger? I could see my two cats eyeballing that tiki table with the rope thinking it was made specifically for THEM...ha ha. Has anyone created a Tiki Cat House? i have this really interesting postcard book from several years ago called BARKITECTURE that has really unique dog houses. A kitty cat tiki hut? hmmm I can see it now...it could be fairly small too because they love to curl up in a small nook and they like to be up high off the ground.

E

I swear everything is on the web. Here's the previously mentioned postcard book:

E

I got my postcard book cheap at Half Price books but check out some more images here: http://shopcdsbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=ABB&Screen=CIMG&Product_Code=0789203731

E

Here's my mural wall that never got painted:

Spotlights are dimmable:

Another view of it:

But it will happen in the new place!

Pages: 1 15 replies