Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

E-bay

Pages: 1 1 replies

A

When I first came to E-bay I looked at swords. The search brought up about 5 pages (titles only) of old funky swords that had been in peoples attics for years. Often there were interesting stories that went along with them, it was cool. Old dust collectors were selling at top dollar. To cash in on the mania dealers started selling new swords, competition increased. Now there are over 150 pages (title and description) of what are mostly brand new swords. Boring, homogenized and relatively expensive. The competition is so tight they all sell within a few dollars of each other. You can buy cheaper from other sources. It had turned from an interesting resource to a stagnant market for sellers and buyers alike.

When I started Searching "Tiki" I got 5 pages of what was mostly Tiki stuff. It was interesting and informative, it gave you a sense of what was out there. Now there are 43 pages (titles and description/exclude barber) of results, many having nothing to do with Tiki. We all know what I'm talking about, Plastic coconuts, inflatable palm trees, flamingos, Jimmy Buffet, Jamaica, Africa, Japan, bad art work, hula girls, and lord knows what else. Profiteering is rampant, mislabeled and misrepresented merchandise is seemingly the norm. It has turned from an interesting resource, to a crowded, fraudulent, expensive nightmare.

Pricing?. I have no problem with dealers, resellers or merchants. It is a very democratic process and we all vote with our money. There is nothing wrong with some one making $300.00 on a TV Suffering Bastard. If prices are to high, we can abstain. However the pricing of these auctions is absurd. I remember when only a few mugs broke $100.00. More and more of them seem to be creeping into that range. It amazes me when dealers buys a mug for $100.00, relist it and makes $100.00. I see this happening. Perhaps our competitive nature does not want to "loose" to someone named highflyingtiki or bananaheadedgoofball. Auctions bring out that "win at all cost" mentality, to the point of overpaying for a trivial piece of ceramic.

About 15 years ago, I was with my buddy Dave. We stopped at a comics shop and he bought a comic for $25.00. I thought that was allot to pay for a comic book. Six months later I saw him sell it for just over $100.00. About 2-3 years ago, my buddy Ken sold a set of beanie babies for $100.00. He had collected them free from McDonalds's happy meals. My Mom collects "Lladro" ceramics. I bought her a little bell for $25.00 one X-mas, the next year she informed me that it was now worth $150.00. The point is the prices of these "collectibles" have "TANKED". Sure people still collect them, but, prices of anything go up and down.

The days of the $100.00 Tiki mug are numbered my friends. When people hear mugs are selling for a hundred dollars, people turn into mug dealers. However what people will be hearing more and more of is

1. Some one paid 300.00 for a brand new $10.00 mug intentionally mislabeled as vintage.
  2. Bad stories of shady E-bay sellers. I hear more every week.
  3. That a $300.00 Tiki Mug will NEVER increase in value.
  4. The $50.00 oriental Traders mug you bought sells for $2.50 in their catalog
  5. There is a limited number of buyers who consistently pay over a $100.00 a mug. I don't think there's a hundred or 'em?. Hell, I don't think there's 50

My point is this: It's all good. Tiki mania has pulled Tiki mugs from the dark recess of grammas attic. It has scoured the thrift stores clean and deposited poly-pop on our home computers. When the mainstream mania subsides we'll be their smiling, Mai-tais in hand.If I was smart (I'm not) I'd sell my mugs while the prices are high and buy them back when prices come back down. I just can't part with any of them, even my Trader Dicks stuff. When Sven posted he was considering selling some stuff, I thought, Good, the financial timing is right. There may never be a better time to cash in on what is most certainly a craze.

Al

Amen to all that brother!
If I've got the money, and something interests me, I'll go after it to the point of it not being worth the return. Unfortunately a good deal of what I collect isn't available where I live.
But the rent has to be paid, and food must be put on the table, both those ideas keep insanity in check.
Who'd think thatt he bills would be something you'd be thankful for!
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

Pages: 1 1 replies