Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

JonPez's Tiki Art

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

Hello all...
Been a jealous fellow over the years looking at other artist's pieces on TC and not getting around to doing my own.
Well, I have given it a shot.

It's only about 4" x 5" or so. Carved from a pice of hard foam.
Any ideas on how to finish it with paint? the detail seems to show up good with proper lighting. With the lights straight on it washes out.

I was actually sucessfull in sneaking a couple of tikis into a freelance illustration project for a major school textbook publishing firm a few years ago:

One of the few times I have actually sat down and did more than a tiki doodle or sketch...

JonPez
http://www.playgroundzero.net/tiki/
------_-

-On the eternal search for the recipe for Kobe's white sauce -

J
john posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 6:45 AM

that little feller is cool! as far as painting, you have to be careful the paint dosen't melt the foam, i think there is a hardener you have to spray first so that dosent happen
-john

B

He is definitely neat. An original look that many tiki lovers may have to have. Well done.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 5:46 PM

Cool foam carving! Love it.

I reckon it would look sweet in a pearl green to really show off the details in the light. Try a model shop - they have a great line of really sweet colors in spraycans.

Nice stuff. Looking forward to seeing more.

looks good. what kind of foam is it??

J

Hey there!
Thanks for the feedback!
It's a high-density foam used for signs. Not spongy at all, pretty impervious to a lot of solvents.
Not sure of the brand-name, but I'll post it when I dig up the paperwork.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 21, 2005 6:27 PM

On 2005-09-20 21:19, JonPez wrote:
It's a high-density foam used for signs. Not spongy at all, pretty impervious to a lot of solvents.

I think I know the stuff you are talking about. If you go onto mould making websites, they have some good paints for this type of stuff. You could use earthy toned paints and give it the look of an antique ceramic tile. Go into your local paint shop and look at the special effects paint - there is some nice stuff. I hope you planning on doing some more!

ok i see... do you think i can buy that kind of foam here in Sweden? have some plans for making a mask out of it. But i havenĀ“t found some good material yet...

On 2005-09-20 21:19, JonPez wrote:
Hey there!
Thanks for the feedback!

J

Hello all...
Been away from TC for a while.
Not too much artwork lately, but I did a skateboard deck for an art show in Orlando last year:

Acrylic on wood. First attempt at a different style, but I like it!

B

Hey Jon, Excellent Board! Love the foam piece too, see there you CAN DO it!!!
Nice seeing you again at the Bold Hype thing, thanks for coming..

Pages: 1 9 replies