Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

A Gathering of the Minnesota Ohana

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

Greetings fellow Minnesotans. Inspired by the New England Tikiphile Events, I am putting out the question: Are there enough Tiki fans and interest in Minnesota, particularly, the Twin Cities, to organize a Minnesota Tikiphile gathering?

Update: The above question has been answered with 'Yes'. The Minnesota Ohana are now meeting semi-monthly. Please go to the most recent announcement to learn when and where we are meeting.

I maintain a email distribution list for coordinating our regular gatherings and special events. If you wish to be added to that distribution list, please send me a personal message. Thank you.

Scott McGerik
My Weblog
My Tiki Collection

Edit: Updated the link to the most recent announcement.

[ Edited by: Scott McGerik 2007-12-29 07:14 ]

TT

I'm up for it. My wife and I live near Suzies, but I don't think there is much else out there for us. Nyes is great, but it is hardly tiki. How many Minnesotans are there here on TC?

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:33 ]

TT

My home bar is far from being finished, but I do recall reading in the Star Trib a few years ago about a couple in Mpls. that has a nice tiki mug collection-maybe they are TCers as well. I've heard about a "tiki" bar in Lakeville, but I'm assuming it sucks-no offense to Lakeville. If enough show interest I think Suzies would be good enough for an entire night. If you want to utilize Suzies deck we better hurry before the cold-north winds blow.

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:32 ]

TT

My wife Emily is big into Tiki as well-so there are 3 now total. I know there are more Minnesotans here, but maybe they are shy. Tonight would have been nice with the perfect weather and all.

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:34 ]

TT

I'll be in the woods camping this weekend, and we have to go to Indianapolis the weekend after. Oct.15th is the Wisconsin/Gopher football game-the time hasn't been announced yet, but I'll be there. If it is a day game and we win,I'll be ready to celebrate big time. I guess if we lose, I'll be ready to drown my sorrows. Either way, I'm at the mercy of Espn for the start time. Friday nights are extra crazy at Suzies just to mention. Let me know what you think.

TT

I'd still rather go on a Sat. I'm not sure if you got the impression I was anti-weekend. I was just saying that Friday nights get really crowded while Sat. nights aren't too bad usually. My wife isn't real big on week nights, but if that works the best she'll do it. I'm still good for the 15th if the Gophers don't play at night. If it is a day game I could wear a Hawaiian shirt under my Gopher sweatshirt and meet you guys after the game??

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:35 ]

TT

I'll keep you posted on the game time for the 15th. I'm hoping for a night game, but it is up to ESPN and they like to wait until that week most of the time.

TT

For some reason your email didn't work so I'll post here again.

The game time for Oct. 15th has been set for 11:00 a.m. which means we could meet you two at 3:30 (the earliest) or anytime after that. It doesn't matter what time to us.

Let me know what works best for you guys and we can go from there.

TT

5:00ish sounds great to me. We'll bring some photos of our collection and such with us. Let's do one more confirmation reply a couple of days before to make sure it's still a go.

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:36 ]

Hold the phone! Just noticed this message. Add two more names to your TC - Twin Cities tiki files: I, Zombie and Quince-at-Danny's.

This coming weekend is a crowded one, so not sure if we can make it to Susi's, but we'd be interested in a future get together for sure.

I, Zombie

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:36 ]

IZ

Scott,

I talked to Quince-at-Dannys last night. It'll be a crap shoot longshot making it Saturday, since we're both STILL recovering from the Hukilau! (and have a bunch of stuff going down this weekend). But if we can, we'll swing by. Otherwise maybe we can hook up later this month.

But if we make it, how will we recognize you?

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:37 ]

IZ

Sounds good... If we make it, we'll do the same (e.g. Hawaiian shirts).

Hi all,

Just talked to the the wifey (Carol) and she thinks we can squeeze in a cocktail between Saturday's activities. So we'll swing by for a drink at 5pm before heading off to a party we're going to that night.

Look forward to seeing you!

Mahalo!

TT

I have dark hair and my wife is a blonde. I'll wear a tiki shirt of some kind (have to find one that is clean. I'll bring a photo album as my digital camera is broken right now. We will be there around 5 as well. Sounds like we have a mini-gathering.

V
Varla posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2005 4:07 PM

Quince at Danny's, I-Zombie, Karol Kaos and yours truly are planning on a Suzi's gathering tomorrow night (10/15) at 5:00. We're still recovering from Hukilau and the Mai Kai... who can bring the fresh limes or citric acid to PSML?

How will we identify ourselves as fellow tiki central people?

V
Varla posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2005 4:10 PM

oops....

Just scrolled down to the bottom of the page and noticed the bit about the Hawaiian shirts. Sounds good.

Quince and I will be there by 5:30.

varla

IZ

Varla, Oh, you're cute... like a velvet glove cast in iron.

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:38 ]

TT

I'll be the one who looks dazed and bummed out. Please don't judge me by this as I am a college football freak and today was the worst loss I can fathom. Booze will help.

Mr. Zombie what is this Les Baxter Grotto you speak of? Does it actually exist or is it legend of time long since past? Is it true that the goddess of hop sits clad in grass skirt and coconut bra by fountain of gems? Where mr crab runs off into the night? Please tell me it exists... I will come.

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:38 ]

IZ

Scott, Ted Tiki, ladies, it was an Awesome event! Thanks for putting it together. Carol and I really enjoyed ourselves and look forward to getting together at Mancini's. Since you all shared photos this last time, I'll talk to Quince_at_Danny's about loading some photos on his laptop for our next go around.

'til we meet again, Mahalo!

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:39 ]

TT

It was very cool meeting everyone. Looking forward to seeing all of you again. Bring photos if you can.

IZ

The last gathering was EXCELLENT!

If you didn't make the last event, and you're in the Twin-Cities area, I hope you can make the next. Drop us a line here at TC. Would love to hear from all the tikiphiles in Minnesota.

I, Z

Calling all tikiphiles in the Twin Cities Minnesota/Wisconsin area:

THE 2ND MINNESOTA TIKIPHILE GATHERING IS HAPPENING THIS SATURDAY AT MANCINI'S IN ST PAUL, MN. 7PM.

If you are a TCer that lives in the area I hope you can join us!

I, Z

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:40 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:40 ]

Aloha Minnesotans... and congrats on the Monday night victory! I'm not a football fan, but hate the Packers, so anytime they lose I take pleasure in it!

Anyhow, I wanted to commend you all on putting together a gathering of like minded tiki folk in your area, one like mine in Milwaukee, or Wisconsin for that matter is really lacking in a tiki scene. It is so cool that you can come together... and for two events already.

I've adopted Chicago as my tiki scene, through the old Tabu Tiki nights first, and now through other gatherings of the Chicago Tiki Ohana. I've gotten to know some really great and interesting people through the events. I hope to one day find a scene going here in my hometown... it is getting closer than 80 miles to Chicago with the opening of The Rendezvous in Kenosha.

If your group plans a trip to Chicago, I for one would come out as I'm sure many Chicagoans would to share the Aloha Spirit with you all... keep us updated!

Have fun in your future gatherings!

And if you need handcarved tikis, look me up! I'd love to do work for you!

TT

Awesome idea Lake Surfer! We shold try to hook up with as many Tiki folks along the way as possible. The goal was to hit everything Tiki on the way to Chicago. Once we hit Chicago--Hala Kahiki, Shef Shangri-La, Tiki Terrace, and who knows what else. We will keep posting new info. I'm sure

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:41 ]

IZ

Lake Surfer,

Me and Karol Kayahhs spent a long time in Milwaukee, and had some amazing tiki parties at our backyard grotto on Howell Ave in Bayview. Wish I knew ya then! Damn. (We moved up here in Spring 04.) We could have used a big ol' carving for the back yard!

I think Feb 4 or there abouts was what we were thinking for the Chicago roadtrip. Would love to connect with other tikiphiles along the way. Probably take a friday off, get an early start, and hit the spots. One place I'm holding out for is At Random. Not tiki, but a great place nonetheless. Like a lot of things in your home town, we didn't go there often enough when we lived a mile away. If the situation is the same for you, GO, GO, GO. The drinks are better than most tiki places.

Hope we see you in the future,

I, Zombie

IZ

Greetings to all Twin City tikiphiles:

On Saturday December 17th I,Zombie and Karol Kayahhs will be hosting a "Have Yourself a Merry Little Tiki" gathering at our house.There'll be some delicious appetizers, yummy cocktails (served in mugs from our collection), some game playing, SUPER guests (from the Minnesota Tikiphile Gatherings Group), and of course lots of EXOTICA music to set the mood.

If you are from the Twin cities area, missed our two earlier tikiphile gatherings, and want to join in on the tiki festivities this time, drop me a personal message and I will provide all the details.

Aloha!

I, zombie

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:41 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies