Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

A Gathering of the Minnesota Ohana

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

Howzabout Nye's Polonaise Room for the next one? I'm always up for enjoying myself "Polish Style".

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:42 ]

Either works for me. It's a long drive, so I'd probably show up at one or the other, then head home. I'm also going out of town for a couple of weeks in February and March, so let me know which dates you're thinking of and I'll let you know if I can make it.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-01-30 18:43 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:42 ]

TT

Can everyone make it?

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:43 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:43 ]

O
ortha posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 2:41 PM

I just noticed that there are a few tiki folks here in the Twin Cities. I've been looking through tiki central for a while now but have just recently discovered the "Ohana". Curious when the next gathering is? My wife and I live in St Paul and have a tiki bar in our basement with lots of mugs and tiki stuff. Keep me posted.

[ Edited by: ortha 2006-07-25 20:41 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:44 ]

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:44 ]

IZ

On 2006-07-25 14:41, ortha wrote:
I just noticed that there are a few tiki folks here in the Twin Cities. I've been looking through tiki central for a while now but have just recently discovered the "Ohana". Curious when the next gathering is? My wife and I live in St Paul and have a tiki bar in our basement with lots of mugs and tiki stuff. Keep me posted.

[ Edited by: ortha 2006-07-25 20:41 ]

Ortha, we missed ya at Psychos. We had a blast. Looked at photos from the Aku Tiki Room, and Scott and Kat's NW tiki adventure, and Niels filled me in on some primo thrifting in Omaha, of all plcaes. Hope you can make the next gathering (probably mid september). Love to see photos of your bar and mug collection.

Mahalo,

I, Zombie

[ Edited by: ScottMcGerik 2007-03-08 06:45 ]

[Edited to remove old meeting date and location.]

[ Edited by: Scott McGerik 2007-09-08 06:18 ]

[Edited to remove old meeting date and location.]

[ Edited by: Scott McGerik 2007-09-08 06:19 ]

On 2007-02-27 11:34, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Due to the inclement weather during the previous gathering, many were unable to attend. I'm hoping the weather on Saturday, March 10 will be a more conducive.

A venue has not been chosen yet. Suggestions are welcome. Time has been set tentatively for 6pm or there abouts.

K, we are meeting at Grumpy's

On 2007-03-07 15:39, ScottMcGerik wrote:

On 2007-02-27 11:34, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Due to the inclement weather during the previous gathering, many were unable to attend. I'm hoping the weather on Saturday, March 10 will be a more conducive.

A venue has not been chosen yet. Suggestions are welcome. Time has been set tentatively for 6pm or there abouts.

K, we are meeting at Grumpy's

I look forward to seeing all of you there.

IZ

Calling all zombies, tikiphiles, and no-good-nicks in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Area:

Join DJs Luke Andrews and Jet Set Planet's Glen Leslie at the King & I on Friday April 13th -- lucky lucky -- for amazing music and cocktails. No cover. 10pm - 2am.
LaSalle & 14th Ave. Minneapolis.

What better way to ward off all that potential bad juju
than to head for the King & I Thai to hear a righteous
mix from DJ Luke Andrews and Higher than Fi Glen
Leslie who promises to take everybody to the Jet Set Planet?

So come one and all for great music in a Sip n' Quip/
Munch and Mingle atmosphere that'll keep you on the
good foot all night long.

Spread the Vibe!

DJs Luke Andrews (from KFAI's the Groove Garden) and Glen Leslie (KFAI's
Jet Set Planet- KFAI.org)

King & I Thai
1346 Lasalle Ave, Minneapolis
(612) 332-6928
Friday the 13th
10pm to 2am

http://www.kfai.org/node/1126

TT

On 2007-04-09 17:25, I, Zombie wrote:
Calling all zombies, tikiphiles, and no-good-nicks in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Area:

I'm going to play the part of a no-good-nick that night so beware!!!! I just might put itching powder in your sleeping bags!!!

On 2007-04-09 17:25, I, Zombie wrote:

Join DJs Luke Andrews and Jet Set Planet's Glen Leslie at the King & I on Friday April 13th -- lucky lucky -- for amazing music and cocktails. No cover. 10pm - 2am.
LaSalle & 14th Ave. Minneapolis.

THANKS TO ALL WHO CAME OUT LAST NIGHT! It was a blast!

~glen

Calling all Tikiphiles in the Twin Cities! Kat and I will be at Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge on Saturday, September 22 at 6 pm. I invite everyone to join us for drinks and appetizers.

i hope everyone stayed out of the airport restrooms !!

wow Minnesota does have some Ohana.....well i will be in town 9/14-9/17 leave that morning......plans have been made for me but I am sure there will be some daytime hours I am free is Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge 2519 Marshall St. NE, Minneapolis, MN, USA, 55418 worth hitting?

email me if your free at all, [email protected]

evidently we are hitting some clube Sat night with a polka bar nextdoor and it will be a free for all with some of Lili's Burlesque Girls, a photog, and the guys from Cadillac (Rockabilly Band, and we will be checking thier show Sun as well)....

Dr. Shocker wrote:
is Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge ... worth hitting?

Depends on what you are used to with regards to Tiki bars. In the grand scheme of Tiki bars, Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge is way down the list of must-see establishments. However, given that it is currently the only Tiki in Minnesota, I'm grateful for what we have.

It has a large wooden Tiki in the patio, there are Tiki's on the walls and a decent collection of Tiki mugs to peruse. They have a largish selection of Tiki cocktails. The pizza is good and I like the appetizer menu with its deviled eggs, pickle roll ups, and tater tots. And the patio is a great place to hang out on a warm summer night.

Given that, there is no Exotica on the juke box and the Tiki cocktails tend to be too sweet. I always ask for extra lime wedges on the side. Also, the place can often be so packed there is no place to sit inside or outside.

Scott thanx for the response, I think I will try to hit it maybe for lunch or early evening.....it may not be the greatest but you should see what I have to deal with here in VTA

Hey Scott, looks like my son Diego and I will be making it out there on the 22nd. Thelma is having a girls night out so I figured I should have some fun too! Another couple that was at our BBQ should be making it out there as well.

Looking forward to it!

Chris (LED Tiki)

Great! I'm looking forward to it!

the place was pretty kool the patio and the food rocked. Drinks were a bit sweet but mugs were ok.......

Just a quick reminder to let all know the Minnesota Ohana are meeting at Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge at 6 PM today. I look forward to seeing everyone. I can be reached at 612 669-8856.

T

How was Psycho Suzi's? I was really looking forward to this outing, but as I am finding increasingly to be the case in the life of a new parent, I don't always get to do what I want to do with my evenings. :P

[ Edited by: tikimnky 2007-09-23 05:16 ]

On 2007-09-23 05:16, tikimnky wrote:
How was Psycho Suzi's? I was really looking forward to this outing, but as I am finding increasingly to be the case in the life of a new parent, I don't always get to do what I want to do with my evenings. :P

I heard children will do that to you! :wink:

It was a good time. Four new people showed up for the event. The weather was perfect for sitting on the patio. It stayed comfortably warm even after dark.

Several of us had gone to Tiki Oasis 7 in San Diego, so we discussed that. We also discussed Varla and Quince_at_Dannys recent trip to Hawaii. We talked about La Esquina Del Tiki's annual hotrod BBQ he holds in his backyard in Bloomington. There was a small world event when two of the new people and one of the regulars discovered they knew each other. There was also discussion about going as a group to Hukilau next June.

I'll be putting out a call for another gathering some time next month. It would be great if you could make it. :)

MH

Okonkuluku folks on TC!

Mr. Ho going to be in Minneapolis this weekend - is psycho suzi's all there is to see for tiki? Exotica? drinkos? I am coming out to see some of the nordic roots festival and hang. never been!

mahalo!

Mr. Ho wrote:
Mr. Ho going to be in Minneapolis this weekend - is psycho suzi's all there is to see for tiki? Exotica? drinkos? I am coming out to see some of the nordic roots festival and hang. never been!

Psycho Suzi's is our only remaining Tiki bar. Look above to see my response to Dr. Shocker for info about Psycho Suzi's.

David Fong's is an old-school Cantonese restaurant with decent cocktails. Several years ago, Quince_at_Danny's had this to say about David Fong's:

Next time you're in the Twin Cities, check out David Fong's in Bloomington. No tiki eye candy to be had, but it has a nice red vinyl/vintage cantonese chop suey joint feel to it, and they still serve up some good grub and classic drinks (Mai Tai, Zombie, Puka Puka, Rum Swizzle, etc.. ) Inexplicably, the drinks are great even though they use bottled sweet and sour mix, maraschino cherry juice, cheap rum and little to no fresh juice. I could make a better drink with really good ingredients, but I could never match what they do using what they use... That's alchemy!

You can also find decent cocktails and good Thai food at King and I Thai in Minneapolis.

For retro lounge, I would recommend Nye's Polonaise Room and Mancini's Char House and Lounge.

When will you be in town? I might have time to meet up with you on Friday evening and Sunday. I'm unavailable on Saturday.

I'll send a note to some of the other Tiki people in the Twin Cities. Maybe they will chime in with suggestions.

On 2007-09-24 09:36, Mr. Ho wrote:
Okonkuluku folks on TC!

mahalo!

Excellent. Nordic Roots is supposed to be terrific. Haven't been myself, but the reports have always been positive, so should be a good event. David Fong's, if you'r willing to risk the Fong Fever, might be the ticket. Look forward to seeing you.

~glen

MH

maybe we can get a hang together. Fong's eh? man, would they let me work the bar? no fresh juices? fakey syrups? come on minnesota ohana - send in those complaint sheets and petition for high quality Approved cocktails! :wink: thanks for the other recs - the mancini's looks awesome too. thai place interesting although low quotient of rum cocktails, my particular fave...

haha. so, maybe thurs or friday we can do a hang. flying back sunday afternoon. gotta check my schedule with my travel partner...

mr ho

IZ

On 2007-09-24 16:27, Mr. Ho wrote:
maybe we can get a hang together. Fong's eh? man, would they let me work the bar? no fresh juices? fakey syrups? come on minnesota ohana - send in those complaint sheets and petition for high quality Approved cocktails!

Yeah, let's do it. Thursday or Friday is cool with me, though Friday is better for the working stiffs. Looks like we can round up a small group to meet ya out.

Drink-wise David Fong's is on par with Bali Hai in Lynnfield and/or South Pacific in Newton (sans cool huts and murals) -- none of which have seen a fresh lime in like two decades! :)

I sat at the bar at Bali Hai one night with Quince_at_Danny's and we were frightened by the jugs of who-knows-what we saw the bartender working with! David Fong's can be frightening like that. But like Bali Hai, the magic happens more often then it doesn't happen.

Azia is another place that makes high end cocktails. Pricey, but very well made. Mancini's is great for Manhattans, Martinis, and steak bread. Let's see what Quince thinks. Quince?

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2007-09-24 19:52 ]

Fresh juices, quality syrups? Your best bet for good drinks that fit the bill is the home bar action. I, Zombie mixes up some pretty mean potions and I'm no slouch myself. I'd definitely be up for serving up some authentic Barrels O Rum, Mai Tais, Samoan Typhoons, Navy Grogs and a few of our originals!

IZ

On 2007-09-24 20:43, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Fresh juices, quality syrups? Your best bet for good drinks that fit the bill is the home bar action. I, Zombie mixes up some pretty mean potions and I'm no slouch myself. I'd definitely be up for serving up some authentic Barrels O Rum, Mai Tais, Samoan Typhoons, Navy Grogs and a few of our originals!

Quince,

Sounds great to me. I like the home bar idea. Mr. Ho, you up for a home-bar stop? How 'bout the rest of the MN Ohana? We could swap some mixology tips as well as be assured of superior cocktails. Let me know and I'll work out details with Quince.

Now we just have to work on Ted to open up his amazing Shag abode for an evening of happy-happy...

MH

oh that sounds great! i would be totally into the home bar thing. friday is good for me and hannah...best actually since thursday has a show we want to see for the fest. is mancini's food good? i love the pics etc - it reminds me of what you might see people eating at on that new amc show "mad men." im not a big martini drinker (everyone else is!) so is the food worth it? totally down with paying for high quality cocktails so send a link for that other place you mentioned Zombie...

oh yea, if you all have chambourd in stock, we can make you some of the brand new Okonkulukoolers - the official drink of WAITIKI as created by Beach Bum Berry. Does the tiki bar come with exotica music?

We're renting a car so we could drive somewhere...anything tiki enough in say a ....2-3000mi radius should be ok.

S

On 2007-09-25 07:53, Mr. Ho wrote:
oh yea, if you all have chambourd in stock, we can make you some of the brand new Okonkulukoolers - the official drink of WAITIKI as created by Beach Bum Berry.

Okonkulukoolers??

Recipe??

Yum!!

IZ

Excellent! Home bar it is. We'll post more details as we get them.

On 2007-09-25 07:53, Mr. Ho wrote:

totally down with paying for high quality cocktails so send a link for that other place you mentioned Zombie...

Here you go, HO: http://www.aziarestaurant.com/catepillar.htm

MH

i dont get notified when posts are replied here so if somebody wants to send me a coconut mail at [email protected] moving forward with details that would be great. ZOmbie probably has my number too already (mobile).

ho

TT

On 2007-09-25 14:14, Mr. Ho wrote:
i dont get notified when posts are replied here so if somebody wants to send me a coconut mail at [email protected] moving forward with details that would be great. ZOmbie probably has my number too already (mobile).

ho

Hi there Mr. Ho, I will be hosting Friday night and Zombie will be getting in touch with you soon enough with details. My pad is small, but there will be top notch drinks-that I can promise-I won't be making them, but they will be good. If people want to get out eventually Friday night, I know of a big bash at the Vegas Lounge in NE Mpls. I think it would be a hoot if I brought a big group to it. Looking forward to meeting you.
Ted Tiki

IZ

Hi everyone,

I sent an email out with all the details for the Friday Night Minnesota Ohana gathering. PM me if you didn't get the info, and I'll resend to you.

Thanks to Ted Tiki for hosting!

Scott, if I missed anyone on the email, please forward as necessary.

Hope to see you all there this friday!

glen leslie (I, Zombie)
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2007-09-26 21:40 ]

Scott, if I missed anyone on the email, please forward as necessary.

You got everyone who is on the regular Minnesota Ohana distribution list.

If there is anyone who would like to be added to that list, please send me a private message. That list is used for announcing and coordinating our regular gatherings and special events like Mr. Ho's visit to the Twin Cities.

Hey Scott and Kat. I'm a little late but I would just like to say that Thelma, Diego, and I all had a great time at Suzies. Wish we could have stayed longer. Looking forward to making more events when the schedule permits.

Chris

I'm passing thru the twin cities this for work, and I
stopped at a place called Grumpy's for dinner. Damn!
They make an amazing hamburger and the tater tots rule!!

MH

FYI - minnesota ohana:

We had a great time at your party! Friday night was killin. good drinks, company, decor , you name it. ted, mahalo for hosting mr. ho from waitiki. hannah had fun too. also, glen (zombie) - went to nordic roots at the cedar cultural. noticed that kfai was sponsoring...any chance they might help sponsor a night of exotica there? i have some other potential connections to the cedar cultural center in case the museum thing doesnt work out. both seem like very cool venues. send me an email with any ideas you have...

IZ

On 2007-09-30 22:18, Mr. Ho wrote:
FYI - minnesota ohana:

We had a great time at your party! Friday night was killin. good drinks, company, decor , you name it.

10 days later and I think I'm finally over my fear of booze and can come out of my room to post... too many Okonkulukukoolers! ... Beware the Chambord!

Ho, it was fantastic to see you and to meet Hannah... hopefully Waitiki will play in our exotic metropolis in the not too distant future!

glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2007-10-10 15:15 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies