Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Return of the Crusher!!!

Pages: 1 29 replies

Okay. This is not a song by the Ramones (oh, yeah... like that's gonna happen) or the Cramps or Southern Culture on the Skids...

The Ice Crusher is Back!!!

I own a vintage electric Regal Ice-O-Matic and bow down to it's Ice Crushing Ability! I've, also, spent the last few years looking for a newer model, only to find that Ice Crushers went out of style about the time that Marijuana came in.

Suddenly...! The New Wave of Ice Crushers has appeared!!! Check these out...

The Deni 6000 Ice Crusher (about $30 in most cases)

and the Waring Pro Ice Crusher (about $80 in most cases)

Either of them is worth every penny.

Ooh, good to see. A warning to the uninitiated in the quest for an ice crusher -- ice shavers are everywhere, and they make great snow-cone ice, but that's not generally what you're looking for when you're making a Mai Tai, you want your ice a little coarser. You want an ice crusher. Great to see that search is getting a little easier.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-29 00:35 ]

J
JTD posted on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 6:19 PM

Vic,
Great news! Thanks. I had given up looking for a modern crusher. I've got a stable of Ice-O-Matics, but was already dreading that day, someday, when I'd be back to pounding a zip-loc bag of ice cubes with a meat tenderizer.

JTD

my ice crusher is pretty old,but still does a sweet job.
it has these little arms that swing around inside and crush the ice. you can set it for different size crush but I don't know if this really works. is this how the new ones work or do they use lasers?

also "the Crusher", the band i think your looking for is the Novas!!!

Yes, The Cramps covered "The Crusher". The band the "Novas" from Minn. are the originator(60's) of this song! TheARTFINK is right on with this call! The song is about the wrestling giant Reggie "The Crusher" Lisowski(50's through the 60's). I know, who cares! Enough of this useless info.! Traitor, where do I get my hands on the Deni 6000 ice crusher? Anyone?
:D :drink:

RB

I picked up really cheap swing-arm crusher at Party City for a couple of bucks until I can buy a "real" one. It'll do the trick for a little while.

And when I think of "The Crusher," I think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he takes on the pro wrestler named "The Crusher"!

T

On 2005-09-30 16:28, Rum Balls wrote:
I picked up really cheap swing-arm crusher at Party City for a couple of bucks until I can buy a "real" one. It'll do the trick for a little while.

And when I think of "The Crusher," I think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he takes on the pro wrestler named "The Crusher"!

Theeeee Crusher!!!!!

That's exactly what ran through my head when I read the thread title.

Yeah I know the Novas did The Crusher originally. I was just mentioning a few more modern(?) ensembles who have flirted with songs and subjects of that nature. Good call, though, artFINK!

Amazon has the Deni 6000 ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002AU11Q/102-7454382-8454511?v=glance ) for $29.99 but if you just run a Google search on it you get, like, 12,500 hits. One of them is from Target so you might wanna just check there and avoid paying for shipping.

F

I thought you were talking about "The Crusher, The Man Who Made Milwaukee Famous"

I have an Ice-O-Mat in turquoise (of course). It's OK for small quantities, but a bit impractical when you're making a lot of drinks.

My brother's expensive big-ass fridge serves up both ice cubes AND crushed ice from the door dispenser thing. Just press the button....

Ah, yeah! That reminds me. Our fridge door does that too. Unfortunately, the crushed ice that it puts out is rarely of a consistent quality. Some really tiny pieces, some medium and, on occassion, an entire cube or two that slipped through the cracks. I have a vintage Iona blender with an ice crusher attachment that performs at about the same level. This will do, of course, but it's not like the ice that comes in a Mai Tai at Trader Vic's and that's what I'm after. Our refrigerator is about a decade old now, so the newer models may have improved tremendously.

We recently added the Waring Pro ice crusher to our bar collection (we also have their blender). I have to say they're both well worth the expense!

T

On 2005-10-01 05:06, finkdaddy wrote:
I thought you were talking about "The Crusher, The Man Who Made Milwaukee Famous"

That looks like Hulk Gingrich! Or Newt Hogan!

S

The crusher I now use is vintage and the best. It's an Oster SnoFlake like THIS ONE.

I've used a few in my day. I have tried the hand crank jobs and they can look way cool, but generally blow. Melt more ice than they crush, and just wear you out for a small batch. I have had a few electric ones too and they help, but have a similar flaw. They dump the ice in a drawer or something and you end up with melted ice (I think that's called water) all over.

I finally came across a beauty in a thrift store in Bristol for 99 cents that is perfect. It top loads, so you can just about pour cubes into it. It does dump into a tray, but it sits on the tray so you can just as easily set it on top of your ice bucket and it drops right in place and you can go through a whole bag of ice in no time.

Just search Ebay for "oster electric ice crusher"

I need to buy one of those! I can't wait for bridal registry any longer!! :lol:

Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

and there's my two cents.

I'm thinking about retiring my handcrank crusher, has anyone tried the Deni 6000?

RB

I picked up a Deni 6000 last summer fairly cheap, and it's OK...but not great. It takes a while to crush a cupful of ice, and it works better when crushing the smaller "cocktail ice" cubes, rather than the bigger full-size ice cubes.

I like stuff crushed the old-fashioned way:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/can-crushing-p1.php?vid=5035

Me two!

I'm still using the Lewis Ice Bag and mini-bat my father passed down to me in 1967 (though I've had to resew the seam a couple of times), and it still works as originally designed - no improvements needed!

I think pappy was refering to bags of a different sort

I recently discovered that its near impossible to rent an ice crusher in South Florida. And to purchase a commercial one will set a person back almost a thousand buck. Whew!!!

Has anyone had any luck finding a reasonable priced slightly larger scale ice crusher? For the project I had to seek the ice crusher, I ended up purchasing the Waring IC70 Pro Professional Ice Crusher. Its not indented for restaurant use 'Cuz it can't take the daily strain. But for a large party of people and the need to crush 15 lbs worth, it was the best option I could find. Heard it did okay, but the crushed ice seemed just fine when the final product came out in the drinks.

I've had the Oster sit-on-top-of-blender ice crusher for YEARS, found one for a buck in a thrift store, brand-spanking new in its original box. And there are always a few on eBay for around $25-$30 if anyone is interested... I now have a refrigerator that crushes ice for me, which is not very consistent in terms of particle size, but it works fine. So I still keep the Oster blender attachment crusher around as a novelty and for when I take my bar on the road to The Hukilau. It works great, is powered by the blender, and let me tell you that this is a serious high-quality vintage ice crusher. It's also nice to see how Oster has kept the same mechanical attachment format for so many years. I'm using a $19 Osterizer blender from Lowe's which I bought 6 years ago and thought would be a good "starter" blender, but it's lasted all these years, through many parties and many drinks, and I never have any problems with it. You can't beat this combination of vintage Oster ice crusher and Osterizer blender from Lowe's. Get 'em both while you can!

[Edited for better clarity.]

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2012-06-20 18:54 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-11-04 21:07 ]

I have lost count of how many ice crushers I have. I know I have never seen this one before nor have I ever heard of the manufacturer, ”Elweco”
No idea if its old( looks 80’s to me) but I’m anxious to try it out. The guts look very similar to the Ice-o-mats.

Edited to add pic.
I finally got a chance to use this crusher . The results are perfect for Daiquiri’s imo.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-11-11 00:25 ]

H
Hearn posted on Thu, Nov 5, 2015 9:10 AM
K

I'm more curious of Squidward's moai house in the background - what is that, a fish tank ornament?

L

On 2015-11-05 12:47, kkocka wrote:
I'm more curious of Squidward's moai house in the background - what is that, a fish tank ornament?

Yep, available at Petco.

On 2015-11-05 12:47, kkocka wrote:

Mahalo Loki.
Got it for 2 bits at a thrift KK.

Pages: 1 29 replies