Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki termites? please help my tiki is sick

Pages: 1 10 replies

L

I bought a TIKI in MAUI a few months back and recently figured out that it has termites. What is the best way to kill them off and save my tiki? I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. Please help.

H
L

Thank you....it doesn't sound good though. I'm afraid of them spreading it's already been in the house for 6 months. Do I throw him away? He's 3 footer that won't fit in the freezer.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 8:02 PM

I have no experience in this matter, so take it for what it's worth, but one thing I do know: just like you and me, bugs gotta breathe! If I had this happen, and the piece wouldn't fit in a freezer, I'd rub it down in lemon oil (noxious stuff that is good for the wood and (I think) it won't adversely effect the stain) and then double, triple, quadruple bag it so NO air can get in. Leave the multi-bagged tiki out in the sun for a week or two and see if that don't kill the buggers!

As I said, I've never dealt with this and am just guessing, but I'd do something along those lines before I threw it away.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2005 8:16 PM

Just had another thought...how about bathing it in isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and then bagging it up airtight for a week or more? With it's low viscosity, alcohol would fill even very tiny holes and it is very toxic. I think bug collectors use isopropyl alcohol in air tight containers to kill and "preserve" the little buggies for their collections. I don't know about the effects of alcohol on stain/finishes though. Still, better than throwing the tiki away!

Light it!!! Don't hide it!!!
Throw that thing in the fire place and let it burn. Of course this is someone from Southern California that loves to watch Tikis burn in a big bon fire at the beach.

Mineral Spirits usually work. Soak da buggah.
& If that don't work drink some other spirits ( with an umbrella in the mug of course ). Burp

J
JonPez posted on Sun, Oct 2, 2005 2:36 PM

I got rid of bugs in an old trunk by putting one of those "penetrating fog" insecticide cans in a large bag and sealing it up, kinda like tenting a house. Seemed to do the trick.
Maybe if someone in your neighborhood is getting their house tented, they will let you slip it under the edge to get a good dose. Don't do it yourself, or else the termites won't be the only things dead. Maybe a local pest control company might be of help. They may have a solution for ya or put it under the tent themselves...
I know my wife used ethyl acetate or cyanide for her Entomology class to kill the insects she was collecting, but in a pinch we used nail polish remover with acetone. Still pretty strong stuff (but readily available) and may harm the finish on some woods...

B

You can take it to a termite exterminator. They have rooms in their shops for de-bugging all types of furniture. A few nites stay and he will be good as new.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 2, 2005 7:08 PM

And there you have it!

-Gman

I think my girl tiki may have some critters living in her, I don't see any termite eggs...but maybe they are something different. Guess any critter would be killed at the exterminators though...so gonna check in to it. Once she is debugged, what is the best process for filling up the cracks and making them look like wood?

Pages: 1 10 replies