Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Any Tiki-Christmas Drink Recipes?

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

On 2015-12-18 10:00, mikehooker wrote:
I noticed Arriano's new batch of Don recipes has a Martinique Milk Punch that is quite a bit different than the Mai Kai recipe you posted from Saveur magazine. Besides the ingredient list, the proportions from Don appear to be a single serving whereas the Mai Kai's is a four person punch. Have you tried both? Have a preference?

I haven't tried Arriano's interpretation yet. The major difference, aside from the size, seems to be Don's Spices #2 (vanilla-allspice). Not a bad idea. My version is likely sweeter and less spicy, reflecting what I've tasted at The Mai-Kai. But I'm due to revisit that classic, so I'll be sure to post an update.

Here's a good recipe for Coquito, the Caribbean version of eggnog. It's eggless and very easy to prepare.

1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 can (15 ounces) Coco Lopez
1 cup of white or gold rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Add all ingredients to a blender and mix well. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg.

Mele kalikimaka!

T

This is one from Zen Tiki Lounge Podcast. I enjoy it

Xmas Helper

1 ounce Vanilla Rum or Vanilla Liquor (at least 50 proof)

1 ounce Seven Tiki rum

2 ounces Pomegranate Cherry juice

Lime peel

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with 1 cup crushed ice. Twist a long piece of lime peel over shaker before tossing in. Shake very well and pour unstrained into your favorite tiki mug or large rocks glass. Garnish with lime curls.

Here's one more, an eggnog riff that could easily be enjoyed year-round:

The Demerara Flip from The Atomic Grog ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/12/31/the-week-in-tiki-dec-14-27-2015-preview-new-tiki-bars-coming-in-2016-festive-new-years-events-a-new-kon-tiki-voyage-plus-more/#rum

Okole maluna and happy new year!

Good timing on this post as I'm fresh out of limes and was wanting something dessert-like to drink. I made two. First, with Hamilton 86 and next with El Dorado 12. I gotta say, I'm just not a fan of the Hamilton 86. I've made half a dozen drinks with it now and don't think I've truly enjoyed a single one of them. I tried another one of these with a different Demerara to see if it's the drink I don't like or the rum. It was definitely the rum. With the El Dorado it was silky smooth and enjoyable. The Hamilton just seemed unbalanced and unpleasant. Will have to give the ancestoral recipe with Martinique rum a whirl.

Pages: 1 2 53 replies