Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Any Tiki-Christmas Drink Recipes?

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

F

Every year my wife's family does a round-robin party around Christmas. This year the stop at our house is for relaxation, which means party games and drinks. Since this year I'm hoping to have my bar up and running I was hoping to make some tiki drinks that would fill everyone with x-mas cheer. Any ideas?

Mahalo! :drink:

P

Well, how tiki any of this is is debateable but...

if you go by the general rule that tiki = rum in a tropical styled drink:

Egg Nog is very Christmas. Rum spiked Egg Nog is common. I have spiked Egg Nog with a combination of Redrum and 151 Lemon Hart. That's the fruit flavored Redrum, not the Voodoo spiced redrum. It gives a fruity accent to the egg nog and adding a little demerrara gives it a nice kick. Call it Tiki Nog. Go easy on the Demerrara. A little bit goes a long way.

Then there's always hot buttered rum. Can't go wrong with that.

Tropical coffee - coffe with rum (I know, not very imaginative.)

DZ

On 2005-10-07 15:27, PiPhiRho wrote:

Then there's always hot buttered rum. Can't go wrong with that.

I couldn't agree more - hot buttered rum on a cold winters' night... MMMmm...

D

Trader Vic's makes a Tom and Jerry Batter

if you're providing drinks for lots of people, you could make your own

Yield: 6 servings

8 jumbo eggs
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2-tsp. cream of tarter
freshly grated nutmeg
hot water

For each drink:
1 oz. Appleton Jamaican Rum
1 oz. Hardy Red Corner VS Cognac

Directions:

Separate egg whites and yolks.

In a large mixer, beat yolks until they're thin and transfer to another bowl.

Clean the mixer and add the egg whites and cream of tarter, beating until stiff.

Add powdered sugar and fold in yolks.

Mix until batter is thick, but light.

In a pre-heated mug, add one heaping ladle of batter.

Add rum and brandy.

Top with hot water and dust with freshly grated nutmeg.

Serve with a paddle or spoon.
Chef's note: For a richer drink, boiled milk can be used in place of water.

I'm on board with the hot buttered rum recommendation!
Here's a previous thread with recipes.

J
JTD posted on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 6:40 PM

The Macadamia Nut Chi Chi (Intoxica, p. 50) reminds me of Christmas cookies whenever I have one. Try it.

JTD

I'm right in there with the Hot Buttered Rum and the Tom and Jerry ideas. Have you thought, though, about the Sidecar? It's a traditional Holiday Cocktail. Try making it with a good rum instead of the brandy (I think Beachbum Berry actually suggested this in one of his books... If he didn't, he should have).

TD

baked skunk?

C

I got this one from http://www.themodernmixologist.com

Hot Spiced Cider

1 750 Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
1 gallon apple cider
1/2 cup clover honey
5 cinnamon sticks
30 whole cloves
1/2 vanilla bean
(serves 15)

Start by breaking the cinnamon sticks and cloves and bruising the vanilla bean.

Next make a bag (with cheesecloth) with the spices.

In a large saucepan combine cider, honey and spice bag, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add Spiced Rum and serve in heated mugs with a cinnamon stick garnish.

......personally I would skip the bag and the whole saucepan and throw it in a crock pot and then strain out the spices with a slotted spoon.

But it sounds delish!

M
mbanu posted on Sat, Oct 29, 2005 1:58 AM

1 ounce spiced rum
1 ounce Grand Marnier
1 ounce heavy cream
a few dashes bitters

Shake and strain.

P

I always thought of hot spiced cider as more of a halloween drink than Christmas. That is probably because when I was a kid my mom often made hot spiced apple cider for the kids as a halloween treat. When I became as adult I added rum, brandy or bourbon to it and drinking one or two of these has become something of a halloween night tradition. My usual recipe...

heat apple cider in a sauce pan with ground cinnamon, allspice and cloves (in decreasing amounts). In a, irish coffee glass add a shot of brandy, bourbon or an aged or spiced rum, a little bit of butter, a teaspoon of benedictine and top off with the hot spiced cider. Use a cinnamon stick as a swizzle. Top with whipped cream and a little nutmeg as a garnish. Very nice!

Thank you all for holiday advice! I'm going to try a few of these before the event. In fact, the wahine's out for the weekend, so after the kids go to bed I think I'll try one or two tonight. :wink:

A

I whippped up a couple of this new holiday cocktail last night and thought it was great, if I do say so myself. Actually the girlfriend thought so too:

Christmas Island

2 oz Crème of Coconut
1 oz Don’s Mix
1 oz Falernum
2 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Blend for five seconds with crushed ice for five seconds and then pour into a cocktail glass. I garnished mine with a spent lime shell, but maybe a candy cane should have been pierced through it.

M

Here's another riff on the classic Tom and Jerry recipe:

Tabonga and Jerry

1/2 cup of Tom and Jerry batter
1 oz. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
1 oz. Presidente Mexican Brandy
1/2 oz. Fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Falernum

Add all ingredients to a tiki mug with a handle, then add boiling-hot water to fill. Dust with ground nutmeg and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

P

On 2012-12-09 09:44, MrBaliHai wrote:

Here's another riff on the classic Tom and Jerry recipe:

Tabonga and Jerry

1/2 cup of Tom and Jerry batter
1 oz. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
1 oz. Presidente Mexican Brandy
1/2 oz. Fresh-squeezed Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Falernum

Add all ingredients to a tiki mug with a handle, then add boiling-hot water to fill. Dust with ground nutmeg and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

That sounds amazing. I like a Tom and Jerry on a cold night as well as a variation called the Fernet and Jerry which uses 1 oz Fernet Branca instead of the rum and brandy but I make both of them with hot milk or a 50/50 blend of hot milk and hot water. I'm guessing the straight water with this one works best due to the lime juice? Regardless, I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

[ Edited by: poutineki 2012-12-09 16:51 ]

M

On 2012-12-09 16:49, poutineki wrote:
[I'm guessing the straight water with this one works best due to the lime juice?

Right. Mixing hot milk with citrus would produce a nasty, curdled, mess.

Rainbow Holiday Cup would qualify I think?

Classic "Egg Nog Cocktail"

Vanilla Egg Nog in a rocks glass
float some "Rhum Barbancourt" to taste & mix
dust with nutmeg.

Feel free to use your favorite rum.

You can also mix in a blender with some ice for a shake version.
So tasty!

Not sure if this would be considered strictly on topic, but my family always used to unknowingly Tiki up our Brandy sauce (for the xmas pud) by swapping the brandy out for Lamb's Navy rum. My Mum was a wonderful cook (exactly unlike myself), having done a cordon bleu course back in the day - so she knew her stuff! She used to swear by her Rum substitution trick, and would tell me every year that Brandy is too delicate and doesn't provide the depth of flavour that Rum will. She was right too. Rum xmas pudding sauce kicks Brandy sauce's arse..

I agree wholeheartedly with Atomic Zombie Bastard's take on the hard sauce which normally accompanies "Christmas Pudding". Every Christmas, my mother made "Christmas Puds" and my father made his legendary "Hard Sauce" with dark rum (Smith & Cross) instead of brandy. While my parents (English/Scott) were in the US and I was in Military School in the UK (Duke of York's Royal Military school) before passing "Selection" into the SAS (retired Lt. Col.), my one great feature each year, and worth the trip to the US, was my mother's Christmas Puds with father's hard sauce! It's a memory I shall treasure for the rest of my life, and one I repeat each and every Christmas (along with having Eggs Benedict for Christmas breakfast) - I've passed on the recipe to my son. SOME TRADITIONS MUST BE PRESERVED!
Merry Christmas to all! Politically correct or not!

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2012-12-11 17:59 ]

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2012-12-11 18:01 ]

GentleHangman, I would love to hear some stories of your time with the SAS!

Atomic Tiki Punk - I can appreciate that . . . but I signed the National Secrets Acts when I was "Badged" to the Regiment - a document I continue to respect to this date. I've been out of the Regiment for 30 years now. Suffice it to say that I was one of the participants in "Operation Nimrod" at Princess Gate in 1980 - and have the burns on my arm to show for it! My last two years with the Regiment were spent as Commander of the Jungle Warefare training Center in Brunai - accompanied by 2 Gurkah Rifles until I pensioned out it 1982. Bear Grills has nothing on me! I used to teach what he demonstrates on his "Man vs Wild" TV show! My nickname "Gentlehangman" comes from my uncle (on my mother's side) Albert Pierrepoint - he was married to my mother's aunt Annie. If you don't know who Albert Pierrepoint was . . you can look him up. I only knew him as the Publican of "Help the Poor Struggler" but he had another "Profession".

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2012-12-11 22:07 ]

Trader Sam's is serving A rum, strawberry puree, and lime juice concoction they call a "red nose zebra" that was quite tasty and I am not a "sweet" drink fan. They garnish this drink with cranberries for eyes and a nose and then place sprigs of mint to simulate ears and antlers.Oh those clever folks at Disney. They also had two other seasonal drinks on the menu. One was called gorilla nog and the other I cannot recall. I don't know what they put into em.
Cheers

A

On 2012-12-11 22:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Trader Sam's is serving A rum, strawberry puree, and lime juice concoction they call a "red nose zebra" that was quite tasty and I am not a "sweet" drink fan. They garnish this drink with cranberries for eyes and a nose and then place sprigs of mint to simulate ears and antlers.Oh those clever folks at Disney. They also had two other seasonal drinks on the menu. One was called gorilla nog and the other I cannot recall. I don't know what they put into em.
Cheers

Here's the recipe for Trader Sam's Red Nosed Zebra as well as the Mele Kaliki-Mocha:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/make-your-own-wild-holiday-cocktails-with-recipes-from-trader-sams-at-the-disneyland-hotel/

On 2012-12-11 22:04, GentleHangman wrote:
Atomic Tiki Punk - I can appreciate that . . . but I signed the National Secrets Acts when I was "Badged" to the Regiment - a document I continue to respect to this date. I've been out of the Regiment for 30 years now. Suffice it to say that I was one of the participants in "Operation Nimrod" at Princess Gate in 1980 - and have the burns on my arm to show for it! My last two years with the Regiment were spent as Commander of the Jungle Warefare training Center in Brunai - accompanied by 2 Gurkah Rifles until I pensioned out it 1982. Bear Grills has nothing on me! I used to teach what he demonstrates on his "Man vs Wild" TV show! My nickname "Gentlehangman" comes from my uncle (on my mother's side) Albert Pierrepoint - he was married to my mother's aunt Annie. If you don't know who Albert Pierrepoint was . . you can look him up. I only knew him as the Publican of "Help the Poor Struggler" but he had another "Profession".

Not to hijack the thread, "Operation Nimrod" was the SAS assault on the Iranian Embassy which ended an almost week long siege
on the Embassy, it was also the inspiration for the movie "Who Dares Wins" two years later
which I saw when I was living in London in 1982

"Albert Pierrepoint" was a famed British executioner, whom also was depected in several movies
You have a very rich & interesting history sir!

Arriano, Mahalo very mucho! I meet the coolest on T C.
Cheers

On 2012-12-12 08:41, arriano wrote:
On 2012-12-11 22:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
...recipe for Trader Sam's Red Nosed Zebra as well as the Mele Kaliki-Mocha:

I went to a small dinner party last night and brought everything needed to make these. I have never made either before, but didn't think there was going to be much risk. I was right - both drinks were a big hit with the group. Fresh strawberries were perfectly pureed by the host's stick blender in a bowl. 100% Kona coffee tasted very good in the "mocha" drink. If you're looking for ideas on what to serve to a non-tiki group any time of year, this worked very well for me.

Thanks to both arriano and nui 'umi 'umi for the tips!

Alright Ace! Can hardly wait to try one at home. once again we're shown that quality ingredients = quality drink. Glad that it went well for you.
Btw, just curious-what brand rum did you use? Silver or amber?
Mahalo

For the Red Nosed Reindeer I stuck to the recipe exactly as shown and used the Bacardi 8 since I've not purchased or tasted it before. I also bought cranberries for garnish, but did not have time to obtain mint sprigs even though I grow these at home. The Bacardi 8 is actually an aged gold rum of Bahamian origin. (A blend of 8 to 16 year old rums, I think.) I was surprised to read, on the bottle, that they mentioned that it was bottled "in Jacksonville, FL, by the Bacardi Bottling Company." I don't recall seeing that before. Bacardi has a large plant, and I know people who work there. They are diversifying into more higher-quality and better-tasting rums in addition to their staple lower-end stuff. They are a good and very much appreciated corporate citizen here in our city. At the end of the evening I left the bottle with our host, but I didn't think of trying it straight. But the drink was very tasty with the Bacardi 8.

For the Mele Kaliki-Mocha I used Kahlua as stated in the recipe. I forgot to bring my Orgeat (doh!) so instead used a fraction of a teaspoon of almond extract - that would be my only shortcut or cheat or improvisation. And the drink tastes great with or without the whipped cream. For future, I think it would be a very nice touch to take my micro-plane grater and drop some chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream. That would be a great way to get some extra use out of my micro-plane and would make a very nice garnish atop the whipped cream.

Ace, mahalo for sharing a bit of your bar-tending skills. I just had to Google "microplane grater" I love gadgets and cool bar stuff. I also like to gross my wife out.
I raved on and on about the grater and she thought it was cool til I showed her that they also make foot files. She gave me an unfriendly "look".
Merry Christmas!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-12-18 23:59 ]

My pleasure, sir! I'm always learning new things because I keep trying new things...

You made me laugh about the foot files - I haven't heard that before. I know that MicroPlane makes wood files, and I think that's how they started out. The MicroPlane design is now being copied by many others, and this is causing prices to drop. Any kitchen store (or outlet) is likely to have a selection. The MicroPlane is excellent for making falernum when you need the peel but not the underlying white pith. I recommend adding one or two size files to any bartender's Christmas list!

Bump.

Any new ideas out there?

Try this - I got it from Gaz Regan's email a few days ago, and he got it from Facebook, so I think it is fair to re-post this here. I haven't tried it yet, but thought since you're looking, that we could both try the same thing at about the same time. (I'm currently missing Dale's bitters.) Despite the thanksgiving-ey name, it might turn out to be a good "holiday" cocktail without all the trappings of Christmas colors, themes, etc. like the Red Nosed Reindeer recipe has.

I'm tending bar at a holiday party next week, and if this is good, I'll be making this along with the Red Nosed Reindeer, and possibly a couple other things for the attendees.

==================================================

Pilgrim Cocktail

*Original recipe by Dale DeGroff (created at the Rainbow Room, NY, in 1995), from The Craft of the Cocktail (Clarkson Potter, 2002)

"Back when Dale was working the Rainbow Room, he became friends with the photo editors from the Associated Press--who made a habit of taking their lunch break at his bar--naturally they loved his drinks. One Thanksgiving, Dale decided to surprise them by creating a holiday cocktail especially for them: The Pilgrim's Cocktail.

"It was a bitter cold day so he heated it the drink and poured into an insulated coffee pot on a silver tray with twelve stemmed crystal glasses. With tray in hand, dressed in his red Rainbow Room jacket, he rode down the elevator, fought his way through the holiday throngs gathered in Rockefeller Plaza, wove his way across the street to the Associated Press building, grabbed an elevator to the fourth floor, and personally delivered twelve Pilgrim Cocktails to a very happy holiday staff. Now that's what you call service!" Jill DeGroff

15 ml (.5 oz) dark rum

15 ml (.5 oz) light rum

15 ml (.5 oz) orange curaçao

60 ml (2 oz) fresh orange juice

15 ml (.5 oz) fresh lime juice

7.5 ml (.25 oz) St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

1 dash Dale DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic bitters

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Can be served hot or cold.

gaz [Regan] sez: I found this recipe on Facebook, and although the drink isn't "new" per se, it's a damned good quaff and it carries with it a pretty fabulous story that gives us a glimpse at Dale and who he was before he became King Cocktail. What he did with this drink is the stuff legends are made from, and Dale, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is a man who is far, far better than his legend. You see me, you ask me, I got Dale stories that will make you smile very large, indeed.

Update - I do have Dale's bitters, so I will try to make this tonight, although I have two Christmas parties and may not get back until it's too late...

I'll post my result when I do this, might have to wait until tomorrow night......

Thanks Ace. Look forward to hearing your results. We're hosting a party Saturday night and still trying to determine if I'll be making a cocktail, a punch, or just leaving some spirits out for people to spike their cider and nog with.

We made this last year and it was incredible on it's own and delicious with some spiced rum added:

https://happybladderblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/hot-butterscotch/

I will have to try the Red Nosed Reindeer this year.

Good thoughts... I found that the Red Nosed Reindeer is visually interesting when you make it in front of guests. Not many people (including myself) realize that a stick blender (or a regular tabletop blender) will liquefy fresh strawberries. Then when they see and taste the finished and garnished drink, it's visually nice and ties well into the holidays. It also has a moderately sweet flavor profile, therefore appeals to a lot more people. It can be a crowd pleaser.

When you say stick blender do you mean like a top down mixer?

On 2005-10-10 18:40, JTD wrote:
The Macadamia Nut Chi Chi (Intoxica, p. 50) reminds me of Christmas cookies whenever I have one. Try it.

JTD

Agree! One of my favorite and totally reminds me of a Christmas Cookie!

On 2015-12-15 12:59, mikehooker wrote:
When you say stick blender do you mean like a top down mixer?

Oops, I think it's more correctly called an "immersion blender." But a regular blender, and a food processor, will do the trick as well. The immersion blender is a bit more visually dramatic and "showy" when making the cocktail in front of others. I think that's because they've been around for a long time, but not many people have committed to spending the money to buy one. So they're fun to whip out at your bar. Here are some photos:

B

Last year we made Martin Cate's Yuletide Wave punch and it was a hit (recipe appeared in Imbibe Magazine and was reprinted in their book "Cocktails for the Holidays"-- Google Books allows you to see the recipe in a search). Brian Miller's Black Flag Grog is also excellent this time of year (the Blackstrap rum, orgeat, and nutmeg syrup work really well together):

http://punchdrink.com/recipes/black-flag-grog/

And yesterday Paul McGee released a Holiday recipe to benefit the Chicago Food Bank (Stranger in Paradise-- made one last night and it's a nice mix of Rhum Agricole Blanc, Reposado Tequila, falernum, pineapple, lime, allspice, cinnamon, and absinthe). A donation to the Food Bank scores you the recipe (and some others):

https://goo.gl/a3Lu6q

Happy Holidays!

K

On 2015-12-15 16:39, Bumboo wrote:
Last year we made Martin Cate's Yuletide Wave punch and it was a hit (recipe appeared in Imbibe Magazine and was reprinted in their book "Cocktails for the Holidays"-- Google Books allows you to see the recipe in a search).

I came here to express this same appeal for the drink. Great punch and the cocktail book in general is a good one.

AceExplorer & mikehooker:

DeGroff's Pilgrim Cocktail indeed makes a fine holiday cocktail. It's a bit heavy on the orange and light on the rum, but in a party situation that probably works fine. I made it with Coruba, which blended nicely, but you might want to try a more aggressive rum like Smith & Cross or an aged Demerara. Or maybe just have those rums on hand to add a splash for folks who might want a more rummy cocktail.

Note that the original recipe in The Craft of the Cocktail calls for Angostura bitters. DeGroff's Pimento Aromatic Bitters didn't hit the market until around 2012. I might actually prefer Angostura since the allspice dram already brings enough pimento flavor.

Also, here's the punch version from The Craft of the Cocktail:

3 ounces dark rum
3 ounces light rum
3 1/2 ounces orange curacao
12 ounces fresh orange juice
2 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
1 1/2 ounces pimento liqueur
6 dashes Angostura bitters

To serve cold: Assemble all the ingredients in a large pitcher and stir. Strain into a glass with an orange slice and a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg.

To serve hot: Assemble all ingredients in a saucepan with 6 ounces of sweetened orange pekoe tea. Heat to just under a boil, and serve in a punch cup dusted with freshly grated nutmeg.

From another cocktail master, here's one I highly recommend. It will be featured as the next Cocktail of the Week on The Atomic Grog:

Devil's Island Daiquiri
(By Jeff "Beachbum" Berry)

"This is basically a cold buttered rum," says mixologist Jeff Berry. "You could serve it during the holidays in lieu of eggnog."

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/devils-island-daiquiri-cocktails-2010

Also, I just created my own holiday cocktail that I'll be posting along with Jeff's recipe. If anyone wants to try it out, let me know and I can send it to you via PM.

Mele Kalikimaka!

On 2015-12-17 21:25, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Also, I just created my own holiday cocktail that I'll be posting along with Jeff's recipe. If anyone wants to try it out, let me know and I can send it to you via PM.

Mele Kalikimaka!

Gimme!

Does the Martinique Milk Punch work as a holiday cocktail? I've never had it.

*On 2015-12-17 23:21, mikehooker wrote:*Does the Martinique Milk Punch work as a holiday cocktail? I've never had it.

Sure, that's a good one. And of course the Hot Buttered Rum.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/18/mai-kai-cocktail-review-got-milk-punch-martinique-rum-adds-zing-to-this-classic/
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/25/mai-kai-cocktail-review-hot-buttered-rum-is-a-heart-warming-winter-classic/

I'm also partial to Coquito instead of eggnog. I'll find the recipe I used last year and post. There are many online that are way too complicated. No need to cook anything.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-12-18 08:15 ]

I noticed Arriano's new batch of Don recipes has a Martinique Milk Punch that is quite a bit different than the Mai Kai recipe you posted from Saveur magazine. Besides the ingredient list, the proportions from Don appear to be a single serving whereas the Mai Kai's is a four person punch. Have you tried both? Have a preference?

C

Pages: 1 2 53 replies