Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Quonset Hut fetish

Pages: 1 7 replies

Lots of folks like those Eichlers and the mid century ranch houses...but I have always loved the use of surplus Quonset huts in suburbs. They are often considered an eye-sore but when you see one nestled in amoung a bunch of bungalows somplace, it's heart lifting.

Does anybody share this interest in this fantastic and innovative type of stucture? Are anybody's favorite old haunts made in them?

I know there are still a number of them around, often hidden behind facades, or made into little suburban houses which are hated by neighbors.

They are certainly clever and tough...I hope to erect one someday.

H

Any pictures?

Being British I'm more familiar with "Nissen huts" which are similar the best adaption of a Nissen hut to other means was done by Italian POW's in the Orkneys (where i grew up) they turned two into a chapel which is simply amazing..

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/eastmainland/italianchapel/

D

Wow! I had no idea these buildings had names! I just always thought they were some kind of wacky tin can buildings the military used and left it at that. Very interesting!

T

I just went to a haunted farm last night and they had a Haunted Quonset hut! Whoooo!

Back in the ol' punk rock daze there were two qwonza(sic) hut punk "clubs" in OC (Brea and La Habra). My band at the time Raw Sewage played both of them. They really hold in the heat and the smell.

This record store is a few blocks from my house. They specialize in punk & metal & they've had gigs there.

Pages: 1 7 replies