Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

hukilau was fantastic.

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

B

Just returned home from Hukilau and it was great. Great Music.
Great Art. Great People. Did I say great Music?? To die for. The Mai Kai put on a Special Show for Hukilau that was just Unbelievable. They went Far Above and beyond their normal Great show. The dancers were totally worn out after the first show and with the audience pushing them into a frenzy they responded with unbelievable power. They were great.
I met many TC'rs there who I hven't seen before and many that I saw last year. I can't remember everyones name, even my own, but I can say that if Any of you want a really Great time, DON'T MISS next years Hukilau with the MaiKai's 50th Anniversary celebration. It promises to be the event of the decade. We will rock the house away.
Thanks Tiki_kiliki and All else who helped make This years Hukilau such a Smashing Success. Thank you, Thank You Thank You.
HappyHappyHappy.

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 2:10 PM

Mucho Kuddos to Tiki Kiliki and all who were intragal to gettin this wrapped up into what it was. Simply Amazing!

Some snaps from what Ben was talking about. In the Gardens alone, I took pics of every Tiki and Blossom and Wall covering. Wow!

Mahalo Ohana

P
pablus posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 3:52 PM

It was great to see all of the familiar ohana again and meet some new ones.

I'm still reeling from the Waitiki Denny tribute late last night. We finally evacuated the Mai Kai at 2:30 and hit the party at Unga Bunga's groovy pad.

I left there at 4:30 and the place was still swinging with the Haole Kats and King Kukulele and a couple of guys from Waitiki.

Awesome to hit the beach (not much surf yesterday) and strum a few tunes under the shade of the CocoPalms. Again last night in the Mai Kai gardens I sat there alone next to the big Barney West Tiki and strummed for an hour or so.

The Haole Kats are some of the best people I've ever met. And their music needs to be in every tiki bar in the world.

I got me a Lake Surfer Lono Tiki. I'll post pics in a few days/weeks when I get a chance to upgrade the Lagoon yet again.

The Mai Kai is the center of the universe.
Everything is done to perfection.

Nice touch by Basement Kahuna to give the gracious and lovely owner of the Mai Kai a hand carved Tiki that you can check out in Creating Tiki.

Thanks to all of the organizers and behind the scenes people who made it happen.

Oh and one more thing;
I've been imortalized in comic form in Tikilicious's Hukilau Coloring Book. What a gas that thing is.

More maholos later - pabby sleepy...zzzzzzzzzzzz.

p.s. - missed Al, Dr. Z and Danny this year along with Flounder, Kailuageoff and Jungle Trader. Others too - Jochen, you were missed braddah. And some other guy who drank Budweiser all the time last year - what was his name again? Reverend something or other.
Reedcloth Jimmy? Poplar Pete? I forget.

ARRRRRRRRRRRR!

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 7:04 PM

Jeeze, I don't even know where to begin...

What an experience. As this was my very first real tiki event, I feel as though I've been officially baptized into tiki culture. I'm sure I'll think of more things to say later, so for now here's my favorite pic of the whole event. Tara of the Mai Kai preparing my Coffee Grog:

As I first timer, I was impressed by alot of things but two things are going to stay with me forever. First, the Mai Kai was better than my wildest dreams (although, I hope they get the roof put back on for the 50th anniversary). Secondly, the Robert Drasnin show was magical--just one of those times you can't believe you're lucky enough to be there for.

I was also lucky enough to meet Benzart! (Ben, the Wahine has approved the Lono Tiki!)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 7:57 PM

Sounds like a cool happening! I want to get to one of these US tiki events one day.

Oh and one more thing;
I've been imortalized in comic form in Tikilicious's Hukilau Coloring Book. What a gas that thing is.

Awww sweetie, you know how much I love you! If I had known how much slimmer you have gotten, I would have drawn you like a swizzle stick! You look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GOD! When you first walked in, as you recall, I did a double-take because I barely recognized you! Youre a babe, through and through. :wink:

Thank you for letting me immortalize you! You are worth it, because you are so amazing. Steve and I cant wait to draw next year's, HUKILAU VOLUME 2!!!! People have already started signing up to be in it! Its been a blast to do. Especially when I get to draw such sweet people like you. :wink:

A great time was had by all!

kisses!
Will post pics tomorrow! Steve and I worked the home bar tour today and we are pooped! But I have SO many pics to post for everyone! Tomorrow. :D

G'night and Mahalo!

What a great gathering! It was made so, as is any truly quality gathering, by the people. The thing that impressed me the most was the passion everyone had for the culture, and of course, as a member of Waitiki, I saw it at its best during the performance of Robert Drasnin's music. That was a performer's dream! What a rare thing it is, especially these days, to see a roomful of people forego the urge to hang and converse in order to participate in so sublime and historic a musical event as performing and recording that music!!!

And the hangs before and after the performances were made special by the quality of people too. Thanks for your hospitality!

I would be happy to stay in touch with all of you!!

Keep sacrificing those watermelons, and whenever you see a fellow villager, don't forget the handshake! Okonkuluku!

OKONKULUKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS: The Martin Denny set at The Mai Kai was one of the HIGHLIGHTS of the entire Hukilau. Seriously. It was probably one of the top three most amazing fun spectacular moments that Steve and I experienced this weekend. You guys are... AMAZING. We will forever worship you, and hold that concert in our funny bones and our hearts. Mahalo!) :)

S

Ok, Saturday night kicked ass! As a matter of fact, so did Friday night. As a Hukilau newbie, i had a blast. So, now i get to save up for next year(and i'm definitely bringing more cash with me next year!)

And to The Intoxicators: you guys were awesome! And many thanks for the good company and the beer! Couldn't have had better neighbors in a motel.

:tiki: :drink: :tiki:

V

I just return from Florida...I have so much fresh memories.
It was the best time ever (although I missed my wife). I met some wonderful people, the eastcoaster took well care of me (especially Pablus), I had the pleasure to see some of my californian friends again and share a room with the great Monkeyman and Olga, the Mai Kai was a fantastic experience I'll never forget, I simply loved Robert Drasnin, the Waitiki were my favorite surprise, I loved Tongo Hiti, The Haole Kats, King Kukulele of course was great, I really enjoyed the Intoxicators, not to forget the fantastic slide show of Charles Phoenix...thanks a lot for this great week end, and now, back to boring life.

What happened to the car show?

P

Everyone got in a wreck on the way to the car show because they were so excited to get there. Ft. Lauderdale has some really bad drivers. :wink:

I'm not kidding about the bad drivers.

Car show was canceled and announced as such as everyone arrived.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:35 ]

Firstly, I will have to just "ditto" most, if not all that has been said above. And I will repeat that, Tiki_Kiliki, and associates did a knock-out job in all respects. Even though it was my first big tiki event, I felt at home with all the TC friends I was able to meet, and wish I had more time to meet countless others who I know were there, but I somehow missed. I was among the "who's who of tiki. And who are the parents of the 6 year old Christine who performed at the Mai Kai with King Kukulele? You are doing a swell job to have such a charming daughter. Thanks to all who gave me the unexpected thrill of signing your Tiki Magazines, and Books of Tiki. Heck, even my wife (not entirley into the tiki scene yet, and do to illness, missed the Mai Kai, BLASPHEMOUS, but she really gets nailed hard by a mysterious malady) wants to come back next year. And we will be there!

I would like to add my thanks to all who made this magical weekend possible. It was my first Exotica/Tiki experience with other eager fanatics and it was everything I hoped it would be. the ohana was great and everybody was a pleasure to meet and talk with. I spent waaaaay too much money buying Tiki's, music, shirts, glasses...you name it. I tried to support just about every vendor on the floor. I will be in debt for a few months, but I don't care. Wow! The music was the best! Loved all of it. The live performance of "Voodoo" By Robert Drasnin was at the very least a religious experience and at the most an historic event. I'll be back next year for sure!

The Hukilau was awesome - I'm glad I was able to go to all of the days this year. I've posted some pictures from Friday and Saturday here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nicole_macarthur/album?.dir=fe24&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I'll post pictures from the home bar tour later this week.

P

Oh yeah, one more mahalo.
The girls.

I mean, come on.

The beauty at this event was off the map.
And the outfits enhanced all of their lovely features.
Except for Monkyzuma, who may very well need an excorcism.

The Mai Kai Mystery Girl left many men speechless. It was funny to watch the reactions of the toungue-tied recipients of that special presentation of the Mystery Bowl. Kern, your girls are as talented as they are beautiful.

My eyes hurt.
And my arm, from Angela punching me as I was talking about it last night.

JV

Aloha

Biggest thanks too Christie, James T., and all that were responsible for this weekend.
We had a blast!!! The art, music, and people were too cool. Way too much good times to type into words here.

It was good to see everyone, and we'll see you all at the next........

-Joe

[ Edited by: Joe V. 2005-10-10 12:11 ]

i've been reading all of the post-hukilau tales with extreme jealousy!

are the dates announced for next year?

i think we're coming to the hukilau for our honeymoon! i can't think of a better honeymoon trip than the 50th Anniversary of the Mai Kai!

but...the wedding date is contingent on the hukilau dates, so i'm waiting on pins-n-needles...

J
Jawa posted on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 12:40 PM

Aloha!

Here are two videos I shot with my Fuji digicam during the Robery Drasnin set. They are not the best, but for a digital camera, the video is pretty nice:

about 11mb:
http://www.tikihappy.net/video/drasnin01.wmv

about 26mb:
http://www.tikihappy.net/video/drasnin02.wmv

I have a lot more video on my camcorder, but it takes longer to deal with, lol. Enjoy!

• Jason

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:57 ]

All I can say about this past weekend's activities is "MAHALO". Hukilau exceeded my wildest dreams. It was great meeting so many wonderful people and automatically feeling like a part of the Ohana. Can't wait for next year (as a matter of fact may have to get to Oasis now too).

K

Did anyone buy, or does any one have any pictures of the Hukilau 2005 Scorpion Bowl and Shots? What's your opinion?
Are they cool? Do you have to wait for shipment? Any details. Inquiring minds want to know.

Krustiki, there are two more glasses as merchandise aside from the scorpion bowl and shot glasses set. There is a tom collins and a double old-fashioned. Each glass has its own design with Hukilau 2005 images. Quite the collectible item.

Great job to Tiki Kiliki & Captain Pokie for the design as well as to South Pacific Promotions for cranking them out.

S

On 2005-10-09 19:15, pappythesailor wrote:
As I first timer, I was impressed by alot of things but two things are going to stay with me forever. First, the Mai Kai was better than my wildest dreams (although, I hope they get the roof put back on for the 50th anniversary). Secondly, the Robert Drasnin show was magical--just one of those times you can't believe you're lucky enough to be there for.

I was also lucky enough to meet Benzart! (Ben, the Wahine has approved the Lono Tiki!)

The thatch roof was a later touch. I don't think it was designed that way and was not that way when it was built. Think of it as going back to their roots!

It was fantastic to finally get to talk to everyone. Everyone's face is familiar to me, but I've always been so busy. Now I had the chance to really meet everyone. It was great to meet some for the first time too. I, Zombie; Bongo Fury; reverb; Poly Pop; Hanford!; Virani who sat with us at the Mai Kai and was totally entranced; the Ohio boys, Hoffa, Ku, Jim; Casey Jones and more. Too many to name.

The Mai Kai is always magical, and even more so when Martin Denny is played live.

But next year, let's not do the humidity thing... :wink:

H
Helz posted on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 4:56 PM

All,

I just wanted to add my name to the roster of the very appreciative attendees of the Hukilau this year. Thanks much to James and Tiki Kiliki for all of their hard work to pull of what was a great event (And I sadly was only able to attend on Friday, Saturday must have been amazing).

It was also great to meet so many of the TC Ohana, you all are truly people of distinction.

-Helz

And as a note, I have pics of Collins glasses added to my Ooga-Mooga collection, and will try to get them put up here very soon (along with the pics I have of the Scorpion Bowl). And my hats off to Holden and the guys at Tiki Farm and to Derek for creating such a beautiful piece. I can't wait for it to get here.

KK

Thank you to everyone responsible for this event.
Hukilau 2005 was a blast.
As with past Hukilau events, over-stimulation on all levels is the rule of the day- between accelerated "catch up" visits with the TC Ohana, meeting and supporting the artists, the musicians, and yes, the beverages, there was such a great vibe that every day ended way too soon. Next year I propose we lobby our government to institute (temporarily) the 48 hour day!
Thanks Pablus for the Crazed Mugs CD! It's playing in the background as I write. Basement Kahuna, the fantastic Solomon Island Club is a proud addition to our home, and will hang in a prominent place by the bar!
I think it's safe to say Robert Draisnin's (with Formikahini!) Voodoo set was the highlight of the Hukilau. Can't wait for the alluded-to DVD of this performance.
Thanks Christie, James and everyone for a fantastic event!

Can somebody Please post more Pic's!!! I need to live vicariously through those that were lucky enough to be there this year!! Thanx for the Pic's so far!!!
Later,
Spermy

S

Basement Kahuna worships at the Mai Kai altar.

On 2005-10-10 18:26, Swanky wrote:
Basement Kahuna worships at the Mai Kai altar.
THAT is the BEST photo EVER!

I want a poster --- I know it'll sell!

Wow!!!

We had a Blast!!! The Music... The Food... The Drinks... And Especially the OHANA were the best I've ever experienced for an entire long weekend in my life!!!

Thank you all for making our Hukilau trip so wonderful!

Oxoltol, friends...

This was my very first Hukilau, and I can assure you it won't be my last. Me and the other WAITIKI guys had some of the most fun we've had... ever! Mahalo to all who made this event a success, especially Tiki Kiliki, JT, the one-and-only Haole Kats, King Kukulele, and all the Villagers of Okonkuluku!

My personal favorite moment was watching Crazy Al do the Clam Dance to Tongo-Hiti's bar serenade (Space Kadet and I danced The Clam right away when we got back to Beantown).

Can't wait for Hukilau 2006...... Holler if y'all come up to Boston, or at least east of Okonkuluku! (That's west of Xanadu, for you Drasninites...)

Mahalo & Oxolotl,
Professah Humming Flower of WAITIKI

Hukilau = good
Mai Kai = extremely good
Mystery bowl and delivery = good
Robert Performance = good (even though I got locked out)
Cabana Bar = good
People at the event = Good
Baribault Creationz Tiki Stickers = good

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea, looking forward to next year I'm hoping to add Oasis in Palm Springs (may 06?) to my first list as well!

Thanks to all the people I met and to all the hard work that I know went into making it a special event!
Jawa - I missed ya - Monkeyman and Manic too - I guess next time???
Was it hot in that 1st seating happy hour at the Mai Kai or was it just ?

C

Wish I could have experienced all of the fun. I only got to shop for a short while on Sat. I met a few TCers but not enough. My daughter & husband bought 2 tikis and I bought 1.
A special thank you to Basement Kahuna for the mug I bought that said 'Judy' on the bottom. It has a special meaning to me (it was a sign that my sister was there with me) and I will always treasure it. All the vendors had amazing stuff. We got some great items there. To all who were involved in organizing the event - Great job! I hope to experience the entire Hukilau next year!

Tiki Kiliki and James did Hukilau well. How could it be better? Robert Drasnin, Waitiki, The Intoxicators........Yma Sumac, Bunny Yeager, King Kukelele......The MAI KAI...... a bunch of great TCers.....and more. Formikahini did a swell job with Mr, Drasnin.

I also benefitted from having Polynesian Pop and Kick_the_reverb as roomates ......we had a blast together. Remember to bring a 6' tall empty case next year to bring back the cool carvings. Great stuff by Benzart, Lake Surfer, Tiki G, Chisel Slinger, and more. I got some cool swag from TiKi tOny, Puamana, Crazy Al, Lake Surfer, Joe Vitale, Pablus, Hukilau, PolyPop and more. I definately needed another suitcase.

Good to see old friends and new. Good to see Casey there too. Did I really See the Mystery Girl getting friendly with one of ours? The show, food, and drinks at the Mai Kai was first rate. Tour of the back offices was cool. Hope to make plans for next year. Maybe Mrs. Fury can make it instead of prepping for the SEMA show in Vegas. Sorry I forgot my camera.

And a special thanks to an East Coast lurker that we hooked up with at the Bahia Cabana bar. He said he would post soon (as Cabana Boy?) This guy showed us some of the "other" side of Fort Lauderdale (the dancers at Automatic Slims in their schoolgirl outfits was better than their "Tiki" bar in the back room), even joining us at the Molokai Bar. Then afterwards piled into the car with me, PolyPop, KTR, SugarCaddyDaddy, and Crazy Al for some after hours fun......was that another Tcer getting out of a cab at Scores? Hmmmmmmm....Hope someone got some pics.

I left the party at Unga Bunga's early(?) as I had a 7:45am wake up and off to the airport. Hope to see all of you there next year.

K

I'm still recovering, but I wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone. You all were amazing, and I've never been more impressed by the warmth of strangers than I was at Hukilau 05.

Kiliki: Wow. My thanks could never be enough. You took such good care of us all and were as patient as the day is long. Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo.

JT: Like I said, you outdid yourself and frankly all others. The bar is permanently raised.

Pablus: thanks for making an Ohio boy feel at home in Florida. Come up some time and we'll go see the Bucks play.

Joe: Looking forward to our next meeting. You are the goods my man. You ever roll through Columbus, you got a home for the night and a drinking buddy.

Swanky: A pleasure once more. You are one of those rare cats that I just plain dig being around. I'll miss you until we meet again.

Jeff: Brother, you always come through. We live so close, we gotta hang out more often.

Vic: You crack me up, you live it up, you get down like you got it made. Nice to meet you, and I look forward to our next encounter.

The Cult of the Eye guys: I'll thank you in secret code so that nobody else understands.. Fly on wall, skyline falls, no more than ever more, never the better. 1114 and Lincoln forever. Cannibal, who loves ya baby?

Shoot, I know I'll remember to thank and say hi to more of you, but I'm tired right now and gotta hit the hay. So if I forgot, don't get sore at me. I'll try to continue this later.

I'll leave you all with a link to the FOM gallery where there's some pics and video snips I uploaded. I'll put up more as I get the time.

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=56

Enjoy!

Ahu

T

The Intoxicators! had a blast at Hukilau 2005!
Thanks Tiki Kiliki, JT, Dames A'Flame, the Mai Kai staff, and the awesome bands, vendors, and personalities that we met and hung out with over the weekend...
anyway... enough talk... here's some photos...

Brian from the Intoxicators! with the Molokai bartenders

The Intoxicators! performing on Friday night with Dames A'Flame

The great Monkeyzuma

The Mai Kai dinner show on Saturday

Waitiki on Friday night

Pablus entertains the tikis Saturday night

I will be adding photos to The Intoxicators! website in the next few days. The address is http://www.theintoxicators.com

[ Edited by: tikigoob 2005-10-10 22:17 ]

I want to share my first Hukilau memory with you - but first I have to provide a little background.

My home tiki room contains a vintage stereo system, which can be seen in the photo below.

I also have a large LP collection in my basement, and I will bring up and rotate a small number of exotica LPs to play on this stereo. Most of these LPs are mediocre and some are so bad that I will play them only once before discarding, but for the most part I generally prefer the ambience of the vintage sound that the records provide. A few of my favorite LPs (i.e. Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, etc.) will be kept near the turntable in case friends come to visit, but the majority are kept alphabetized in shelves in the basement.

Before this year's Hukilau, I went to the basement to retrieve a few of my Yma Sumac covers for her to sign - I also checked under my exotica section under 'D' to see if I owned any Robert Drasnin LPs. I thought that I might perhaps have his 'Voodoo' LP filed there, but there was nothing there. I debated about buying a CD copy of Voodoo before the trip, so I could familiarize myself with the music, but decided to wait.

Advance to Hukilau - Friday afternoon when the bazaar doors open. I make it to the table where Jeff Central is selling the Gecko/Drasnin Voodoo mugs, and I notice that sitting on the table is a small stack of a LP titled 'Percussion Exotique.' I immediately recognize the cover graphics, as it is one of the few treasured LPs that I own and keep next to my tiki room stereo. For unknown reasons, I never really paid any attention to who the LP artist was. It is only then that I learn that 'Percussion Exotique' is a re-released version of Drasnin's 'Voodoo' LP, with a different cover graphic. I had been listening to Drasnin's Voodoo for years, and didn't even know it!

Advance to Friday evening, as Robert Drasnin and his assembled orchestra are about to start playing. A brief introduction is made, and then Drasnin starts conducting the first song -- and my heart melts with recognition. I know this song!! I am familiar with this song!! Those notes have emerged from my tiki room stereo speakers dozens of times, and I am now hearing them being played live, with the actual composer there in front of me. I wasn't quite prepared for this - I knew exotic music would be performed by this orchestra, but I didn't expect that I would be so familiar with most all of the music. It was truly one of the most emotional live musical performances that I have experienced.

Understand that for most of his musical career, Robert Drasnin was either a supporting musician for somebody else's band, or a composer for television and movie orchestras who rarely had the opportunity to perform in front of a live audiences. The audience during the entire performance was very quiet, very respectful

Here are a few pictures from that Drasnin performance, starting with one that shows Tiki Central's Formikahini singing

A closeup of Robert Drasnin playing

And here he is, nearly 45 years after composing the original Voodoo composition, finally receiving a well deserved standing ovation for his work.

A wider shot - James Teitelbaum is standing in the shadows under the bright light (to the left of the man in white), and Tiki Kiliki is in the white dress. To the right of Tiki Kiliki, with hands raised in the air, is Hanford. The leftmost musician in the image, with the dreadlocks (if you zoomed in you would see a BIG smile) is Robert Drasnin's 18 year old grandson, who flew in from Washington state to play percussion for this concert.

I heard it mentioned several times that Robert Drasnin considered this moment to be one of the definite highlights of his life.

Hukilau memories don't get much better than this.

Vern

Hey everyone!

Thanks for asll of the positive feedback!

Just got home and I am completly exhausted - in spite of my nap at Pia's on Sunday afternoon(!) - but I just had to check out this Hukilau thread.

I was so busy running around like a headless chicken in organizing things all weekend, that I didn't really take any pictures at all, so please, please everyone - feel free to post as many as you have!

And of course let me take this opportunity to once again thank everyone who showed up for this weekend.

I spent nearly ten months putting together the Drasnin show, and your reaction to it, your appreciation for it, and your clear enthusiasm for it made it completely worth all of the work. I had to keep ducking behind the sound area to the right of the stage to hide, because I was getting all choked up!

It was fantastic to see all of the TC ohana there - I just regret that my conversations with everyone were so short due to my responsibilities... I would truly have liked for every conversation I had with each of you to have been about three times longer!

And now:

Everyone repeat after me: "Hooray for Christie!"

• James T (JT)

PS - Someone was asking about a DVD of the Drasnin gig. Although our video guy did get some nice footage, rumors that there was pro-quality audio being recorded were greatly exaggerated. Do not hold your breath for a full-length release of the performance. But definitely look for Drasnin's long-awaited "Voodoo II" studio-recorded CD in 2006 or 2007!

Alas, I have washed back up upon my own shore here in Georgia; I'll probably "come to" tomorrow and get my photos posted..this was one of the best times ever.

The thatch roof was a later touch. I don't think it was designed that way and was not that way when it was built. Think of it as going back to their roots!

I admit not knowing Mai Kai history and I admit to not having a marketing degree but you can't attract people off the street with a roof that looks like THIS. I hope they understand you can't wow anybody if you can't get 'em in the door. I say this with love--I wanna go back for the 75th anniversary too!

IZ

Aloha everyone,

Let me just add my THANKS! to everyone involved in this year's Hukilau. Just an amazing event. It was great to meet so many TCers finally, and put faces and voices with the names.

And a Big THANK YOU to JT (aka Tikibars) for the great music. For me, the whole tiki revival is really about two things: exotica music and great cocktails. Listening to Martin Denny's music live at the Mai Kai, while enjoying a Mara-Amu, is about as good as it gets. And the Drasnin set brought tears to the eyes.

It was truly an excellent Hukilau!

On 2005-10-10 21:37, bongofury wrote:
And a special thanks to an East Coast lurker that we hooked up with at the Bahia Cabana bar. He said he would post soon (as Cabana Boy?) This guy showed us some of the "other" side of Fort Lauderdale (the dancers at Automatic Slims in their schoolgirl outfits was better than their "Tiki" bar in the back room), even joining us at the Molokai Bar. Then afterwards piled into the car with me, PolyPop, KTR, SugarCaddyDaddy, and Crazy Al for some after hours fun......was that another Tcer getting out of a cab at Scores? Hmmmmmmm....Hope someone got some pics.

Hiya Bongo!
Yeah, Hukilau was a fun time - my first one. Saturday night was a blast with you, KTR, SCD, Poly Pop and Crazy Al. I'll post pics soon. Thanks to all involved who made my trip so much fun!

Cabana Boy - Flex on the Beach

I want to say that my family and I had a great time at the Hukilau. Much MAHALO to Christy, james T,Casey and please forgive me for missing many others. You all did a killer job organizing and running an AAAAAAAAAWEASOME Event!!
It was great meeting so many nice people an seeing so manny Talented venders and musicians. AWEASOME EVENT and we cant wait to go next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
Helz posted on Tue, Oct 11, 2005 8:06 AM

As earlier promised, here's a couple pics of the cool Official Hukilau 2005 Merchandise

These, of course, are the Collins Glasses that feature the artwork from the event...(I put a piece of white paper in the glass to better show the printing, the glasses are clear).

and, Drum Roll please....

The Hukilau 2005 Scorpion Bowl. These pics don't do much to give it a scale, but I was told that it is a smaller bowl that would hold approximately 30 oz. I think Holden said it best here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16740&forum=4&vpost=190932

Thanks again to everyone for everything that made this event such a wonderful experience!!

• Helz

… excellent photos ikitnrev of the Drasnin performance. I was lucky enough to sit front row center for the show… simply awesome.

Memories of the Hukilau… from Drasnin with Alice and Waitiki to meeting Yma and Bunny to Safari’s advice on how to finish off my tiki room to the always amazing Mai Kai… wow. Unfortunately I missed Charles Phoenix’s show due to &@%$# airline cancellations and delays but the rest of the event surely made up for it. It was a pleasure to meet some of the tiki central crowd. I want to thank Swanky for the mix and Steve Kyle for the short stack of musical goodness at the swap. My offering of White Goddess was meager but I hope some of you got to grab a copy. Also thanks to South Seas for the excellent “Forbidden Island” DVD. Great shots of “Marty” Denny at Trader Vic’s and more underwater SCUBA scenes than any human should ever be allowed to see. The after-hours parties were great… from I, Zombie’s daiquiris to whoever you were dancing on the coffee table.. I could have stayed until room service hauled me out. It was great to meet and talk with Waitiki… you guys, your band is incredible. Fortunately for me I live only a couple of hours from Boston … onkonkulukú! Last but not least, it was very nice to meet you Formikahini. Your performance with Drasnin was vocal exotica at its best. I just closed my eyes and let the sounds take me off to some little island in the South Seas… ahhhhhmazing. We do have to do something about the vodka and ginger ales though, when we meet again please ask me to make you a Demerara Dry Float.

Thanks to my crowd, I,Zombie & Carol, Krog of 7 with concubine and my wife Lovey for making every second enjoyable. Thanks again to Christy, James and to everyone who brought the Hukilau to life… it was sensational. By the way, where can I buy tickets for Hukilau 2006?

Aloha

Chief Lapu Lapu
(formally Quincy)

Our drinks arrive at the amazing Mai Kai

B

Here are some pic's I took of the vendors art.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asLo

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies