Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

hukilau was fantastic.

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

K

It's impossible for me to improve on the comments and pictures that Vern posted regarding the Robert Drasnin performance, as he pretty much summed it all up.

The Robert Drasnin concert was also a highlight of Hukilau 2005 for this kikakila player, as well. How James and Christie pulled that off is nothing short of amazing. The logistical and organizational considerations are compounded exponentially each time you add another performer. This was no small feat, and they nailed it!

Many, many BIG ISLAND MAHALOS to all of you for putting this together!

Kanekila

T

The Hukilau exceeded my expectations in every way! What a way to end a week long road trip.

The Robert Drasnin set brought tears to my eyes as well. I think we finally got to hear what exotica music sounded like during the heyday live with a large orchestra of incredibly talented musicians and a beautiful singer with a heavenly voice - formikahini, of course. This performance was the highlight for me of my entire week-long road trip and the Hukilau.

The only thing that could possibly have followed Friday night's performance without seeming anticlimatic was a night at the Mai-Kai. Although the place was packed to the gills the staff were amazing. They never seemed to break a sweat and were in a million places at once. The girls in the Molokai bar did an incredible job and kept smiling all the time. Mahalo to all the Mai-Kai crew!

Thank you tiki-kiliki for a fabulous time four nights straight. The fun never let up! And thank you JT for the incredible musical talent in every band that performed (the variety of music was terrific), and for the good bartenders in the Bahia Mar who made many delicious zombies for me.

</A>

[ Edited by: thejab 2005-10-11 10:43 ]

S

On 2005-10-11 03:20, pappythesailor wrote:

The thatch roof was a later touch. I don't think it was designed that way and was not that way when it was built. Think of it as going back to their roots!

I admit not knowing Mai Kai history and I admit to not having a marketing degree but you can't attract people off the street with a roof that looks like THIS. I hope they understand you can't wow anybody if you can't get 'em in the door. I say this with love--I wanna go back for the 75th anniversary too!

Try a roof that looks like THIS

C

On 2005-10-11 08:31, Benzart wrote:
Here are some pic's I took of the vendors art.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asLo

Awesome pictures of the vendors and their wares Benzart. Makes me realize I wish I had bought more!

On 2005-10-11 08:30, Chief Lapu Lapu wrote:
where can I buy tickets for Hukilau 2006?

Stay tuned at the ONLY official Hukilau web site:

http://www.thehukilau.net

(note: that is ".net", NOT ".com")

The dates are October 5,6,7,8 and the event marks the fifth anniversary of Hukilau, and the 50th anniversary of the Mai Kai!

We've already got some of the talent confirmed - including the return of Italy's I Belli di Waikiki - so watch the site for more announcements.

Does anyone have any info on the 4 ft. tiki at the entrance of the ballroom. He was holding a painted volcano. I was tryin all night to buy that bad boy, but noone seemed to know who to talk to. Other than that 4 foot problem, theHukilau was killa... I met so many greats...Sneaky Jack, Juno, Tiki Tony. Looking forward to next year. Maholla Back!!

TG

Freddie, "Mooneytiki" is the TC name your looking for.....You can find his post under creating tiki. Awesome work and a super nice guy too.

Thanx a ton, my man.

V

Some pictures :

Humuhumu and hanford at the Wreck bar

The jab listening to Robert Drasnin

The Jab having some escargots at the Mai Kai

On 2005-10-10 21:40, KuKuAhu wrote:
I'll leave you all with a link to the FOM gallery where there's some pics and video snips I uploaded. I'll put up more as I get the time.

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=56

Enjoy!

Ahu

This painting I found in Unga Bunga's Penthouse room's closet and was freaked out about how ugly it is!

Aloha....just put a thread up to keep all of the photos together...If you'll please post your photos on that thread I will post a pic of this moderator eating a bug..... Thanks!

Virani, it was nice to meet and talk with you at the beach on Sunday. Thanks for all the info on new exotica coming out of Europe... and the review of your California tiki trip. A possible trip in the future. I hope your flight back was a smooth one.

K

Here ya go Smiley:

Yeeesh. That thing still makes my skin crawl. Again I ask, why do they have bloody knees?

Ahu

K

On 2005-10-10 09:42, pablus wrote:
Everyone got in a wreck on the way to the car show because they were so excited to get there. Ft. Lauderdale has some really bad drivers. :wink:

I'm not kidding about the bad drivers.

Car show was canceled and announced as such as everyone arrived.

Wow... for a minute there, I thought it said "bad livers." A sign!??

I almost paid four grand for that painting in Unga Bunga's room when someone had the phony "auction" Yeesh, maybe I shouldn't have those 7 drinks at the Mai Kai.

Hukilau was indeed a Barrel o' Rum...errr, I mean a Barrel of FUN.
Trying not to repeat what everyone else said so I'll keep it short:
Thanks a lot to Tiki-Kiliki, JT , Casey and everyone else who organzied. The musical performances were great.
I had a great time helping Poly Pop at the merch table - I got to meet a lot of people this way. Hanging out with my room mates Poly Pop and BongoFury, and my old friends Monekyman & Olga, SugarCaddyDaddy, Crazy Al, King Kukulele, TheJab, Hanford, Humuhumu, Selektor Lopaka & Puamana, Mr. Smiley, Tiki Tony, Vern (and everyone else I forgot) was a blast (as always).
Meeting Swanky, Pablus, Basement Kahuna, BenZart, Virani, Formaikahini, Haole Kats, Inkylouise, Lake Surfer, Tiki G, Cabana Boy and many more in real life was important for me, and I'm glad I had this opportunity.
I was really excited to go back to the Mai-Kai almost 4 years after my first visit there (but I was thinking of the Mrs. all the time, wishing she'd be there, too), and waisted no time ordering the first couple of Mystery Bowls, which set the tone for the rest of the night. Spending an evening in the Mai-Kai (the greatest Tiki establishment in the world, IMHO) with likeminded people was definitely a moving experience.
Partying with Poly Pop, BongoFury , SCD, Crazy Al and Cabana Boy after that was so much fun, that most of us were too tired for the tcrj after-party at Unga Bunga's. (So much for my plans to drink with BK and Pablus).
Man, that Cabana Boy was a lurker here, but he certainly opened our eyes on his home turf.
Going home on Sunday was a little hard (especially since I was bummed out about not being to go on the home bar tour), lugging around the AWSOME tikis I got from Lake Surfer (check out his work) and all the mugs I got from BK, forced me to do some creative shuffling at the airport weigh in.
Hoping I can make it next year (with the Mrs. this time)!

Silky smooth,

Ran

T

Weekend Mai-Kai drink tally:

2 Derby Daiquiris (I drove that night)
2 Mutinies
1 Jet Pilot
1 Zombie
1 Barrel O' Rum
1 151 Swizzle
1 Kona Coffee Grog
2 S.O.S.

I would have tried even more but during the 2-for-1 happy hour I had to have two of the same drink. My favorite drink this visit was the 151 swizzle. It's served in an ice cone in an aluminum cup so it stays ice cold forever.

Here's my official Saturday night drink rundown:

-Rum Barrel (happy hour)
-151 Swizzle (happy hour--did the switcheroo with Chief Lapu Lapu)
-Pina Passion (bonus drink courtesy of Mrs. Lapu Lapu)
-Black Magic
-Zombie
-Special Plantation Punch
-Mai Tai (the people at the table next to us left before their last drinks showed up. I took advantage)
Plus, I had some sips of my friends' drinks--the Shark Bite, Mara Amu, Martinique Milk Punch, Mai Kai Swizzle, and the Yeoman's Grog.
At the after bar I had one of I, Zombie's Floridita Daiquiris and a Scorpion (don't know who made that one.) Oh yeah, did I mention that by that point I was LOADED?

Over the last few years I've managed to try nearly every drink at the fabled Mai Kai, and they are, collectively, the best drinks I've had out--by a country mile. That place is unparalleled in quality. The prices always seem steep at first but then I take a trip to the "reminder room" when I get back home to Minneapolis and routinely pay $9-10 for drinks that are at best inferior to the very worst Mai Kai drinks.

My favorite Mai Kai drinks are, in no special order, the Special Plantation Punch, the Shark Bite, the Zombie and the 151 Swizzle--although I have a place in my heart for many, many more depending on the mood.

CA

this one was all time!!! what the f' will they do next year to top it????????????

it just got better and better.............and better...
then the rain 'God' steps in to put a perfect down pour on the killer back yard tiki party at Pia's just while we where wrapping it up...mud dance anyone?........no need for faux showers on the windows here!

nice.......see ya next year... and on the pics pg a bit later

SOLD! to Quince at Dannys for $4000.

(still think it was better than "The Horse Race")

T

On 2005-10-11 20:58, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Over the last few years I've managed to try nearly every drink at the fabled Mai Kai, and they are, collectively, the best drinks I've had out--by a country mile. That place is unparalleled in quality. The prices always seem steep at first but then I take a trip to the "reminder room" when I get back home to Minneapolis and routinely pay $9-10 for drinks that are at best inferior to the very worst Mai Kai drinks.

To try every drink there is a great goal, one I've tried to accomplish, but between trips to the Mai-Kai I forget which ones I've had. I agree they are totally worth the cost in taste, strength, and in quality of ingredients.

I admit I was surprised that so many people at the Hukilau stuck to the Barrel O' Rum. It's an excellent drink but there are so many others. Variety is the spice of life, isn't it?

I tried the Mutiny for perhaps the first time (thanks to Bamboo Ben for the suggestion!) and was very pleased with it. It's similar to the Black Magic but with a little less coffee taste, which makes it better IMO.

I have not tried the Special Plantation Punch yet. Next time!

Everyone who looked at that painting shivered with the "heeby geebies" and I bet is scarred for life!

I wonder if it will still be hanging on the wall NEXT year!!! :)

On 2005-10-12 05:15, Chief Lapu Lapu wrote:
SOLD! to Quince at Dannys for $4000.

(still think it was better than "The Horse Race")

My Mai-Kai drink count is not so thrilling;
A couple Rum barrels
an SOS (?) Jab recommended it-good!
About 30 Zombies
And one flaming Russian Roulette!

Yeah, but "if memory serves me correctly", one of 'em almost brought the house down...
:o

V

My only regret of this hukilau is having missed Purple Jade. Maybe more than the memory of Martin Denny, I would have liked to dedicate this event to Purple Jade, who could have not come to the party with us, considering her hurricane lost. I hope next year she'll be there.

Many Mahalos to everyone for your comments! I am so glad that a great time was had by all. So much went into making this year spectacular and many thanks for all of you for saying this is the best Hukilau EVER! I must agree. The Drasnin performance just sealed it for me and the Home Bar Tour was just too much fun!!

Again, mucho mahalos to everyone who attended. I'm most proud to see new faces on Tiki Central. The part of Hukilau that is so special is that the event brings so many people together and raises their awareness of the community. New friendships are born and existing ones become stronger.

My favorite highlights of the weekend: Charles Phoenix's slideshow - you are now a permanent element of Hukilau!, Drasnin's performance is still playing in my ears - what a spectacular addition to this years event and one of the best live performances I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy, WAITIKI!!! - you guys are most definitely playing at one of my events again, the Haole Kats rocked!, Pablus in the Tiki Bazaar playin' up a storm - we listened to your new CD during the Home Bar Tour!, and many many more! King Kukulele, Crazy Al and Charles Phoenix on the bus - I laughed so much I hurt!!

Here's my official Saturday night drink rundown:
-2 Black Magic's (my absolute favorite)
-1 Shark Bite
-1 Mai Tai
-1 Jet Pilot
If I had to tell you from the start of Hukilau you guys might get a little worried! I'm on my way in just a while to have a few more as we discuss next years event!

On 2005-10-12 11:28, Kava King wrote:
Yeah, but "if memory serves me correctly", one of 'em almost brought the house down...
:o

feel the BURN!!!!

Jet Pilot was my theme for the year.

Weds:
-2 jet pilots

Sat:
-1 jet pilot
-1 mai tai
-1 zombie
-1 shrunken head

I decided that after getting so accustomed to the Trader Vic's mai tai and zombie after visiting the Chicago, Emeryville, SF, and Atlanta Trader Vics all in the past year, that I would like to compare the Mai Kai versions.

The shrunken head was picked for my by Dave from Turner newtowrk, who wanted me to hold the mug while he did an interview. I protested that the mug isn't actually a Tiki... but that's showbiz.
At least they sprang for the cost of having a real drink in it at the time!

Here's my drink rundown from da Mai Kai:

Weds:
Mara-amu (had to get a mug!)
Bora Bora
Jet Pilot

Sat...
(during tongo-hiti):
Shrunken Skull
151 Shizzle-my-nizzle
Zombie
Deep Sea Diver

(during dinner):
mai-tai
chocolate snowball

(between dinner and denny tribute):
jet pilot

(after martin denny tribute, thanks to dave levy):
barrell o' rum

Damn, you can see, I love those MAI KAI COCKTAILS!! thanks to JT for introducing me to the Jet Pilot!

As we'd say in good ol' Hawai'i Nei....... Maika'i (haole trans.: yee-haw)!!!

Moved pictures to the thread for that purpose.

"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere!"

[ Edited by: Trader Rick 2005-10-13 09:20 ]

On 2005-10-12 15:06, professahhummingflowah wrote:
Sat...
(during tongo-hiti):
Shrunken Skull
151 Shizzle-my-nizzle
Zombie
Deep Sea Diver

(during dinner):
mai-tai
chocolate snowball

(between dinner and denny tribute):
jet pilot

(after martin denny tribute, thanks to dave levy):
barrell o' rum

Damn, I would not have let you on stage if I knew you had all of those cocktails in you!
:)

How do you play so well with seven Mai Kai drinks in your gullett?

Dang!!!

All I remember (really well, anyway...) is the Mystery Bowl!!!

Okay... I actually remember a couple of Black Magics in the bar. And I ordered (and consumed) something so that I could bring a mug home... And then I had something else during the WaiTiki show...

Hey! I Remember My Name, Though!

TG

I have been reading alot of post & praise on all the bands and performers who performed at this year's Hukilau (which is definitely deserved by all), but nothing mentioned about "Slip & the Spinouts" on Thursday night for the meet and greet. These guy's were jammin'. We really enjoyed grooving to some good old Florida Rockabilly/Bluesy beats. Trish and I were out there getting our groove on, cutting some rug trying to break the ice for the crowd.

Nice talking with you Slip. Your one Smoothe Cat. We thought you guys sounded AWESOME!!!!!! Hope your back next year.......

G.

H

Just now resurfacing for a short bit... my sincerest apologies to anyone at Hukilau who thought I seemed a bit aloof -- what I thought at first was a strangely un-kickable hangover turned out to be the flu. :( I spent too much of Hukilau, especially at the Mai Kai, in a daze. But oh what an environment to be dazed in! It was a beyond fantastic time, for all the reasons everyone else has laid out already. Personal highlights: Waitiki, Unga Bunga's afterparty (never listen to my party planning tips), listening to Drasnin, Waitiki, meeting Yma Sumac, Waitiki, Black Magic, sharing the Mai Kai with Hanford, Waitiki, the Wreck Bar, buying too much stuff, Waitiki, Waitiki and Waitiki.

On 2005-10-12 22:21, tikibars wrote:
Damn, I would not have let you on stage if I knew you had all of those cocktails in you!
:)

How do you play so well with seven Mai Kai drinks in your gullett?

Ahhh that is the secret trick of the Villagers of Okonkuluku... no, actually the real question is, "how did we load all that equipment on stage", with seven Mai Kai drinks in my gullett ... !!

On 2005-10-13 10:16, Tiki G. wrote:
I have been reading alot of post & praise on all the bands and performers who performed at this year's Hukilau (which is definitely deserved by all), but nothing mentioned about "Slip & the Spinouts" on Thursday night for the meet and greet. These guy's were jammin'! We really enjoyed grooving to some good old Florida Rockabilly/Bluesy beats. Trish and I were out there getting our groove on, cutting some rug trying to break the ice for the crowd along with "Crazy Al" and a swinger....

Nice talking with you "Slip". Your one "Smoothe Cat". We thought you guys sounded AWESOME!!!!!! Hope your back next year.......

yo, i gotta agree - SLIP is one cool mofo, and thanks again for letting me use your flaming bass on the drasnin rehearsal! slip, we gotta learn to play uke though, then we can really jam with the haole kats!

-randy of waitiki

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2005 5:49 AM

On 2005-10-14 00:09, professahhummingflowah wrote:
-randy of waitiki

Argh! Professah, the Waitiki site is unavailable, and I need some jams here at the office!

Edit...site is back up now! Woo Hoo

http://www.tikihappy.net
Code of the Moai Blog

[ Edited by: Jawa 2005-10-14 10:28 ]

On 2005-10-13 20:39, Humuhumu wrote:
Just now resurfacing for a short bit... my sincerest apologies to anyone at Hukilau who thought I seemed a bit aloof -- what I thought at first was a strangely un-kickable hangover turned out to be the flu. :( I spent too much of Hukilau, especially at the Mai Kai, in a daze. But oh what an environment to be dazed in! It was a beyond fantastic time, for all the reasons everyone else has laid out already. Personal highlights: Waitiki, Unga Bunga's afterparty (never listen to my party planning tips), listening to Drasnin, Waitiki, meeting Yma Sumac, Waitiki, Black Magic, sharing the Mai Kai with Hanford, Waitiki, the Wreck Bar, buying too much stuff, Waitiki, Waitiki and Waitiki.

So sorry to hear you were not well. I for one would never have guessed it.

So glad you enjoyed our humble offerings. I look forward to next year already!

H

On 2005-10-14 13:42, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
So sorry to hear you were not well. I for one would never have guessed it.

Ah, but this is because you hadn't met me before -- other TCers can attest that I'm usually a little... livelier... at events. :wink: No dancing on the kitchen counter, no f#@king the bear, no riding of giant wooden fertility idols, no risque mistletoe placement demonstrations, no cow udder fondling, no getting bench pressed... I was downright tame at this event. I hope to make up for it at tomorrow's Hooptylau!

T

If this is Humuhumu on a bad day ... you should see her on a good day!

(on right)

Now I understand why this year was so, um, tame, Humu2!! Hope you're on the mend, go-go partner!

Where to start with the thanks and the applause? I already went on and on on the Thanks Home Bar Tour thread, so I'll leave that there. But I'll say, if you EVER get offered one of these, folks, DO it. The chance to hang out in a relaxed atmosphere is the BEST. My favorite part of my first Chicago Exotica had been the bar tour by bus, so I knew this too would be killer. And it was. Loved sitting next to Casey, who also was FI-nally able to just relax and enjoy himself - yay! Loved meeting Nicole (Tikigimp?) and husband Ken (Crazy Al's twin) - y'all were the cutest couple! Wish I could've hung out with the super cool/super cute Slip more (you guys ROCKED!). Anyway, FAB magical mystical tour. I could listen to Charles Phoenex and King Kuke all night!

HUUUGE thanks to Christie and to James T for having gotten me for the Drasnin gig. I'll name my first-born children after you for that one. Or my next dogs. For me to have sung that music - with Yma Sumac in the audience - well, what's left!?!! The whole show - all the entertainment - was just top-notch. I already raved on the Haole Cats, and I'll add my name to pile of new Waitiki devotees. I plan to set up my hut in the village of Okonkuluku and take many husbands there....

The merch, as usual, top notch. I love the official Hukimerch and my bags were STUFFED with offerings from many lands. You know the new 50 lb limit on your big bag in the airport check-in? Mine was 47.5 lbs!! I'm damned proud of that one. And it didn't include the VERY heavy carry-on, laden with the bulk of the mugs and glasses (and huge chunks of cheapo coral I found on the beach Monday with Pearly Shell and Mean Gene). Thank gawd for bubble-wrap and my remembering to pack LOADS of it, and to pack half-empty bags! My new Chisel Slinger Witco-ish mask with the zazzy background fabric is itching to be mounted.

The Mai Kai? What can I say that hasn't been said 100X. Nothing, except I WILL be there for next year's celebration!! Those people just do it SO RIGHT. Even when they have us in their homes!! And hearing the Martin Denny set in there...ohhhhhhhhhhhh. I said to Gary, the marimba player who'd done the Drasnin gig (and is now a devotee of exotica!), and who came to the Mai Kai for the set, where else is it considered GOOD form to make monkey cries and bird calls DURING a band's performance?? And to throw a sock monkey onstage while they're on?? (Go Inky!!) It was just magical. I was too wired during the Drasnin thing to let myself drift away then, but I got to with the Waitiki boys' Denny set, and it was the BEST.

I'll have to edit in a list of all the it-was-great-to-see-you's and other stuff I'm leaving out now later, but I wanted the organizers to know now HOW MUCH I ENJOYED HUKILAU. THANK YOU!!!!!
alice b

CA

Hey I caught Mr. CabaƱa Boy admiring the uniquely painted official Hukilau Necklace...
(he said something about lacing S.D's neck or something)

if you didn't get one get yours here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16897&forum=12&start=last&

So many Mahalos/So little Time!!! Gonna give it a shot anyway :

James & Christie > Can't thank you both enough for all your hard work and the opportunity for having the Kats be a part of Hukilau this year. Your kindness of recognition onstage at the Maikai was unexpected and touching.
By the way, I think The Stones are trying to reach the both of you for their 2006 tour !!!

Crazed Mugs > Mahalo for all your support all the time and your invaluable help (at all hours)for helping haul our gear from one venue to another at the event. Performing with us onstage at the Mar on Friday and having us record on the your Cd was a stone groove.

Waitiki > To say you Cats were a musical treat will never be enough! Hanging at the hotel and getting to know you offstage was a trip... Thanks for the Cd's and the Hawaiian Candy and would someone please tell Mr.Ho that the "Profesa" has his copies of the Haole Kats Cd's so he can finally get his punk-ass dance-groove
on !!!

Slip(& the Spinouts)> For those of you who might not know, Slip performed a kick-ass set on Thursday night but then hung through the entire event from the Cabana everynight thru the Home Bar Tour.. Thanks for your interest in the Ukes & Steel and we ain't done with you yet ....

DJ Jazzy (Exotica) Jeff > Not only were your sets on Friday a treat for me but the way you seemed to always be there for Mr. Drasnin (especially on Saturday)Thanks for the CD's and since hooking up with you & Deb at Exotica this past summer I would like to say I could not be prouder of 2 Homies from my Hometown.. Tell Deb to keep wearing those awesome shoes and be sure to play "South Sea Lullaby" for her at bedtime !! "Where are my White Castles" ???

Tongohiti > Couldn't catch your Maikai gig as we were working but everyone said it was killer. It was a blast working with you up in Atlanta and that I did get to hear. Stay in touch...

Intoxicators > Surfs Up !!! These were some of the nicest and talented guys to work with... Looking forward to working with you up at Trader Vics (Atlanta) Stay in touch !!

Mr.Drasnin > Your kind words to us (in public and private) will never be forgotten along with your magical music that you shared with everyone. We will send you those tracks when they are finished as promised and it must be said that a more talented,humble man we will never meet !!!

Pia & Drew > Thank you for having us in your home for the bar tour.. Your thoughtfulness,your kindness,and help during the afternoon and evening was unprecedented by any standard. We didn't forget about Christmas or the great surf music Drew kept playing.. Please say hi to Kern and Elke for us along with Chip & Andy (Who because of the weather related circumstances we were prevented from visiting on the last stop)

The King > From meeting and working with you at Exotica (Fitzgeralds and Chef Shangrila)to Hukilau you are the hardest working Cat in Tiki Show Business, not to mention the most talented. Hail to the King!!!

Alice > Where there is a King there must be a Queen (so it is written...) From the S.C.O.T.S show in Chicago to Your performance at Hukilau only one phrase will work "you are amazing " May the Formika be with you

To :KuKu,Jim,Lake Surfer,Vic&Susan,Dade City Frazier party mongers & son, Poly-Pop,Mr.(John)Orlando,Crazy Al,Vern,Unga(party central)Bunga,BK&Niki,Kim,Mr&Mrs.Val,Humu2,Hanford,MeanGene,Tikilicious Mr&Mrs.Swanky(ok not quite yet),our Cabana Detroit neighbors,Tiki Soap
Guy,Tiki G&T,Cabana Boy,Mr.&Mrs. NeptuneTiki,TikiBree,KicktheReverb,Idreamoftiki,TampaBay ohana,and anyone I omitted at this time along with the above mentioned I will PM later...

For those of you who have not yet fallen asleep reading this post,the most important is saved for here at last.

The Biggest Mahalo on the planet goes to: (insert drum roll here)>

"Everyone" attending this years killer event. Without all of you it would not exist. We would not have met you,heard your kind words,shook your hands,hugged you,enjoyed your artistry,your music, your intoxication,and most importantly the chance to cherish your FRIENDSHIP !!!

As the songs says "On a Coconut Island we'd love to be Castaways with each and every one of you" [Ok ,song lyric embellishment is allowed this once]

Peace and Thanks to all !!!
Aloha,
Joe/Haole Kats

[ Edited by: whollycat 2005-10-18 07:49 ]

D

aLoHa-

I WAS THERE! Guess I was overwhelmed by the fact that I had my senior prom in June of 1984 in the VERY SAME BALLROOM where Hukilau 2005 was held at the Bahia Mar. How's that for freakin wierd? In some parallel universe the me of today and the me of my 1984 prom were shaking hands and conversing. Probably saying something to each other like:

"you're me future guy? you're at a hukilau? what's that?"

"I was you, teenager? That blue tux is hideous!"

They also used to hold the Broward county/local TV affiliate version of The Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon in that ballroom. You know...the tote-board, people performing, a few tiers of people answering phones in the background...

I loved the Charles Phoenix slide show. Brilliant! And Waitiki blew my mind!

To the guys in Waitiki: you are amazing musicians! I never thought Exotica music could be performed with as much passion as you guys put into it. Amazing. Come to NYC and do your thing. i want my friends to check it out.

Basement Kahuna: you had the best goods in the house! I went back on Friday (or was it Saturday) afternoon and looked for your table, but you wuz gone! Did you sell everything? Looked like you were doing well, selling your stuff right out of the box. Nice work!

I would checked out more Hukilau stuff, but I was running around visiting family and stuff.

**I was hoping for more people with vintage merch like Basment Kahuna. Very cool stuff dude. Particularly old tiki postcards. Outside of Kahuna's table, couldn't find many of those there. Just as well...probably saved a boat load 'o money. Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep. I had her sign my LP of 'Voice of the Xtabay' and my EP of 'Mambo'. I was hoping to get a signd 8x10 too, but $20 worth of autographs was where I had to step off. Oh well.

Fun time!!! I will probably be at the Mai Kai hopefully several times before next Hukilau, until then see you in the 1984 prom flashback ballroom at the Bahia Mar next year for Hukilau '06.

Wow! What a weekend!

I'd like to first thank James & Christie for inviting us to be a part of HUKILAU...it was awesome! You did a great job of keping things together under pretty chaotic circumstances. I can't wait for next year!

Waitiki -- You guys are inspiring! Your passion is contagious. Not only can you play your asses off, but you're all cool guys, too! Randy -- I had a great time jammin' with you Saturday night, I sure hope we can do it again.

Slip -- You guys sounded great Thursday night! It was cool hanging with you over the weekend - drop us an e-mail when you're ready to come up for a Uke Jam!

Intoxicators -- Gary, George, Adam & Bryan are 4 of the nicest dudes you could ever hope to meet. Talented, too! If you like Surf music, check these guys out.

I also had the pleasure of briefly meeting and speaking with tons of TC'ers...thanks for all the kind words about our music! Let's see if I can remember who I ran into....

Formikahini, PolyPop, SugarCaddyDaddy, Kik the Reverb, Jeff & Deb, Swanky & Stephanie, Pablus, Scott & Russ of The Crazed Mugs, Lake Surfer and the lovely Jenni, Crazy Al, King K, Unga Bunga, Hanford & HumuHumu, ikitnrev, Mean Gene, Cabana Boy, John Pez, Gary & Trish, Benzart, Basement Kahuna & Nikki, KuKu Ahu, Kelly, Dade City Crew, Voodoo Val & Mike, Tikilicious, Idreamoftiki, Neptune Tiki & Wahine, and of course, the lovely Tiki Bree!

If I forgot to mention you, blame the rum!

I'd also like to thank everyone who helped support HAOLE KATS!!! by purchasing our CD's. THANK YOU!!!

I'll get some pics up on th proper thread ASAP.

Josh

On 2005-10-17 19:07, donhonyc wrote:
Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep. I had her sign my LP of 'Voice of the Xtabay' and my EP of 'Mambo'. I was hoping to get a signd 8x10 too, but $20 worth of autographs was where I had to step off. Oh well.

Could be worse, dude. William Shatner charges $150 to start for his autographs at trekkie conventions.

]

Can't say that I was too thrilled with the prices of Yma Sumac's autographs. $20 for an autographed 8x10, and $10 a piece to sign your own memorabilia? Hmm...kinda steep. I had her sign my LP of 'Voice of the Xtabay' and my EP of 'Mambo'. I was hoping to get a signd 8x10 too, but $20 worth of autographs was where I had to step off. Oh well.

I was autographing my image in the comic book for FREE!! DANG, I need a new manager!! :)

On 2005-10-19 11:29, sickmont wrote:

Could be worse, dude. William Shatner charges $150 to start for his autographs at trekkie conventions.

One... fif-ty... But... that's... like... twelve... less... zom-bies... I... could... have... had.... (spoken like William Shatner)

I too signed my pictures in the coloring book for free... and a couple of our cd's too...
Does anyone know who Shatner's manager is?

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies