Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Anyone heard of Tino Contreras???

Pages: 1 3 replies

I have one song by this guy that starts out with bird calls and lots of heavy drumming!! Very Cool Exotica. It is called Brazil. This song came from the Ultra lounge Tiki Sampler. I want more from this artist but can't find anything. Any suggestions?

Mahalo

Ka maka

[ Edited by: ka maka koa tiki 2005-10-10 23:13 ]

bump

T

I have an album by Tino Contreras called "Percusiones Mexicanas." (Capital T 10310)
The liner notes say he was born in Chihuahua and drummed his way up to Ciudad Jua'rez and Mexico City where he was discovered by Luis Arcaraz. He toured with him for 2 years and then formed his own combo. They won prizes at jazz festivals in Indiana, Chicago, and Mexico City.
It also says that this is his first album released in the US.
The album contains the following cuts.
Side 1:
1.)Perfidia
2.)Brazil
3.)Stompin' At The Savoy
4.)Stella By Starlight
5.)Rhythm Medley :Samba - Bembe' - Mambo -Merenque - Rhumba

Side 2:
1.)Night Train
2.)What Is This Thing Called Love?
3.)Ebb Tide
4.)Matilda
5.)Frenesi

I also did a Google search on Tino and found a biography on a Jazz page... Here is Google's translation of that...

The Mexican drummer, Tino Contreras , are in his country and the world of the Latin jazz a true legend. Creator and composer, during five decades have given reputation to Mexico anywhere in the world. He has recorded more than 40 discs in Argentina, Spain, France, Germany, and of course, Mexico. In the Forties first orchestra forms his "the cadets of swing" in its native city, Juarez Chihuahua. First tour by South America makes debut with the orchestra of Luis Alcaráz to principle of the Fifties making his and the Caribbean. Later it forms what first orchestra in city of Mexico was his, standing out like the most important drummer of the time.

In 1954 "Jazz in Mexico" records the disc and since then, its discografía is prolífica and were very outstanding the following works: "Tropical Jazz" (1962); "Mass in jazz" (1966); released in the Palace of Beautiful Arts Mexico, "Jazz mariachi" (1973); "Tarahumara Symphony Jazz" (1984); and "Betsabe Jazz fantasy" (2004) among others. Their talent and great creativity have taken to him to fuse infinity of elements and musical instruments including diverse pre-Hispanic instruments. Outstanding throughout its race not only like an extraordinary drummer and composer, but also like an interesting pianista, trompetista, and vocalista is had. It has represented Mexico in important clubs and festivales of jazz in the U.S.A., Europe, Asia and South America. Awarded by his important diffusing work as of the jazz recently it obtained prizes like the distinction of "The Emmy Awards" in 1997 and "Brave one" in 1999.

In the occasion of its fifty years of profession, Tino Contreras offered a commemorative concert the 9 of 2004 July. Also that history lived intensely by Tino Contreras has been gathered in its books ' My love to jazz' or ' history of the jazz in Méxicó . One of the moments summits in the race of Toni Contreras f ue when Small O´Farrill and he, appeared in October of 1962 and August of 1963, respectively, in the Palace of Beautiful Arts , the temple of classic music. ÓFarrill offered its famous "Aztec Suite" with Chilo Mora'n like solista, - a suite that he had written originally for Art Farmer , - while Contreras I present/display ': "Orfeo in the Drums", accompanied by the Ballet of Camera of the Palace.
(this biography was found at http://www.apoloybaco.com/tinocontrerasbiografia.htm)

Brazil, of course, is a bit of a standard. Maybe not as popularly known as Caravan or Quiet Village, but way up there. I love the 1961 Tito Contreras version, but there are a lot of good ones out there. The song itself dates back to the end of the 1930s.

Vintage Lounge has a 1946 edition available by Morton Gould. See the first entry on http://vintagelounge.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_vintagelounge_archive.html

It was Carmen Miranda's version that was used in Terry Gilliam's film Brazil.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners 2005-10-22 10:39 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies