Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Chiseled Hand (Graphic) 1 Week Later 10/20

Pages: 1 29 replies

This afternoon I was starting a new project and around 20 minutes into it I was thinking these chisels seem a little dull. Right around that time the chisel slip off the wood and found the inside of my palm. Now I never carved palm before and I'm looking forward to getting at some.
But not my own Palm!!
Pictures below are of my newly started Tiki and my first palm carving.

I'm making light of this but at the hospital they said I may have tendon damage. I'll find out in a few days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (on the right hand).

I guess it's true dull chisels bite.
Wes

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-10-19 21:36 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 12, 2005 7:48 PM

Ouch! Hope that mends up okay.

M

(prays to the tiki gods)

Healing mana your way Moondance. I hope you get carving again soon but not too soon.

I hereby bestow upon you the PURPLE TIKI for wounds recieved in the line of duty. I have three of them....

Thank you Hewey, Manakoa & BK for your concern.
I'm starting to really worry now as my middle and ring finger are numb. My fingers felt like they were broken right after it happened but now the numbness.
Please count me in on the carving lessions in the Spring. I believe my so called technic would be classified under (Not The Right Way).
Wes

Yikes!!! In the meantime,tell everyone that it's one of those stigmata things. Pilgrims will trek many miles to see the miracle and leave you gold.
Worked for me!

Get well soon

B

I could swear I posted to this thread already..
Man that is some tiki bite, he must have been hungry.. I remember asking you if you had cut any tendons and the answer was no. We All know we have to be careful and Still these things happen to us all. it won't be the last, but most will not be as bad,

Heal quickly, my friend!

Well, no one can say that you're not an eager carver. IT always sucks to have the chisel bounce of the wood and hit something a wee bit more soft.

Heal quickly, my friend

Ouch !! , like the others I wish you a quick recovery.

W

OW! oh I hope everything works out well! I'll keep a good thought for you too.
(I won't let my hubby play with power tools anymore becuase he keeps doing this kind of thing to himself.)

hope you feel better soon..i had my first chainsaw"incident" last week...right across my foot...YEOOUUCH!!!

Thank you all for the support. I've have a DR appointment tomorrow and I'll see what up with the numbness.
I said to Annie at the hospital last night maybe this means I should do more chainsaw work. She smiled and now today I can't find my chainsaw!?
Wes

Another wounded tiki warrior!I am happy to see all digits attached.Wishing you a speedy recovery.Capo

ooh...Hope you will be better soon my friend. take care of you

[ Edited by: turbosickboy 2005-10-13 12:00 ]

B

Many years ago I poked a 1/4" skew chisel thru my left fore finger and it went numb. Went to the doc and was referred to a neuro surgei=on. He took a piece of nerve from my forearm and grafted it into the finger. It took about 3 to 4 years for the numbness to go away. Strange that was the amount of time I was Originally told that it would heal and regain feeling on its own...Someone explain that?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 13, 2005 4:21 PM

Moon,

That sucks. Please get some heavy leather gloves...and use them. Let us know how the rehab goes. Maybe you should switch over to a chainsaw....those chisels are too dang dangerous!!!!! I'll give you lessons :)

-Gman

"I said to Annie at the hospital last night maybe this means I should do more chainsaw work. She smiled and now today I can't find my chainsaw!?"

I think your right G, chainsaws aren't as dangerous. She said maybe I should switch to painting still life. It would safer. Safer yes but not as much fun.
Thanks for all of your concern.
Wes

Ouch!
Heal up fast, I love your work, looking forward to seeing more.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 13, 2005 6:03 PM

Moon,

If I give you chainsaw lessons, I want a medivac helicopter standing by for you....

-Gman

8T

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "HAND CARVED"

I guess if you can't do much carving until you heal, you can get all the tools sharpened and then plan a few more carvings to start when you are all back to "normal".
Heal soon. Hope this won't keep you from attending Camp Whittle-tiki next year.

I am having awful flashbacks to my impaled finger accident! I don't suppose a fez-wearing monkey bandaid will help that wound either. I so hope you heal quickly and no major damage has been done!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2005 6:07 PM

Moon,

How did the follow up visit go? What did the doc say?

-G

They bumped it back to Tuesday @ 8:00 am. The pain has decreased and the numbness has also. So I very optimistic but it's driving me crazy not being able to use it as I want. Patience is not a strong point of mine and the Tikis floating around in my head need out. :)
Wes

My hand feels much better and it's only been a week since my slip of the chisel. 90% of the feeling in my fingers has return. Man am I happy the feeling is returning.
Thanks to all who have expressed their concern. I was quite concerned about any permanent damage.

Carving will commence very soon.
Wes

<

<

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-10-19 21:59 ]

W

OH so glad it's feeling better nerve dmamge is susch a scare!
GET PROPER GLOVES! isn't there a glove that basically just covers the palm of the hand?
keep healing Moon!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2005 4:43 PM

Moon,

Good deal! Glad things are looking up. Now wear some leather, sharpen those chisels, and get carving!!!

-G

OOOOHHH man! That graphic makes me cringe!! Hope it heals up quick!

I have off today and decided it was long enough for the healing process. Well after about 20 minutes of carving the F'in fingers were numb again. So Annie has informed me that my hand is tell me NOT YET!
Is what they mean when they say talk to the hand???
Frustrated,
Wesley

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 4:56 PM

Wes,

Take the weekend off, I'll move enough wood for both of us.

-Gman

Pages: 1 29 replies