Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Ukelele Dream - Herb Ohta Jr.

Pages: 1 3 replies

If you haven't checked Herb Ohta Jr. out, I strongly recommend you pick up the CD "Ukelele Dream". This cat plays Ukelele as if it were a classical guitar. A "must" for true uke fans. You can purchase it online at: http://www.hawaiianmusicstore.com/cds/cd149.html

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

MTM

V

A chip off the ol' block.

Ohta San has a huge catalog and besides traditional Hawaiian music covers songs by the Beatles, The Carpenters and other pop groups. My first exposure to him was in a long defunct tiki bar at Ala Monana Shopping Center (The name escapes me now) on a casual visit in the early 80s, his version of My Sweet Lord was in the background and one of the patrons was praising his talents. I never forgot the name although I've only found one if his Lps in my hunts, good stuff.

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2005-10-18 10:33 ]

Herb Ohata Jr is an amazing musican and a real nice guy as well. I have seen him play a few times and believe me when I tell you the guy can bring you to tears with his playing. Some of his tunes are that beautiful. Unfortunately, I missed his last visit to Santa Cruz with his Pop. I heard it was a great performance. Highly reccomended if you want to hear some who has mastered the Uke and plays it like a nobody's business.

And that's the truth as I know it.
Chongolio

Pages: 1 3 replies