Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Seeking a bit of advice from you eBay sharks

Pages: 1 6 replies

M
mig posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 2:19 PM

A little question for you eBay sharks: should I sell these two things individually, or as a lot?

I have these two very rare travel posters, both in good shape, that I am considering putting up on ebay. They are from the same series-- David Klein, done in the early 60's. Klein did about a dozen; these are the two most highly sought after (Vegas and NYC).

I love them, but I have them in the small size (something like 20x30 inches). I would rather acquire them in the large size (which is around 26x40). So I'm thinking of offloading them, because I could easily get $250+ each for them. I already have the NYC in large size, I just need to get the large-size Vegas one at some point.

(In my perfect world, I'd trade my two small for a large Vegas... too bad ebay doesn't work that way!)

Anyway, my question is this: do you think I will see a better financial return if I list them individually, or if I put them up there as a lot of two? For people that are after these, it would be pretty much a once-in-forever chance to acquire them BOTH at the same time, in good condition. But at the same time, doing them singly might put them more in peoples' price range.

Thanks!

mig

W

If 2 or more items each have fairly good retail value seperately, then it is usually best to split them to maximize return. However, if one item is a dud you may want to toss it into a lot to boost the perceived value and possibly up the sale price. For example, if one print is in great condition but the other, while a desireable version, is foxed or damaged in some way, combining them might help move the lesser one.
But, if they both are in good condition and if someone wants them both badly enough, let them bid on them seperately and may the highest bidder(s) win.

Individually, and (duh) state clearly that you have another relative poster for sale at "this" Ebay address.
Where ya been stranger! You gonna be in the LA area this holiday season like last year?
Good luck on the auction.

M
mig posted on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 3:40 PM

Thanks for the good advice. And Unga Bunga, nice to see you again! I read on here far more often than I post... a lot of times I just don't have anything to say so I keep quiet. :lol:

Not exactly sure where I'll be over the holidays, but I'll be in the Bay Area for xmas...

[ Edited by: mig 2005-10-26 15:41 ]

T

Will and Unga both offer good advice.

Definitely list these separately, unless one is signifigantly less valuable.

Just FYI, there ARE 'swap' sites out there, where you list what you have and then brwse or search around for what you want, and the site sets up the deals.
One is swappingtons.com

Also, try Craig's list.

I agree with the sage advice so far. Generally I can make more by splitting up groups and selling the items individually. There are occasionally exceptions.

For example, I just sold 6 of these small plates:

Normally these sell for about $20 apiece. I was lazy though and didn't want to ship 6 individual plates. Plus it's enjoyable to give the buyer a deal as often as possible. I sold them as a group hoping to get about $100; a little less than the $120 I'd get if I sold them separately. Instead, I started a bidding war and got $152 for the group.

Just like I was lazy in selling all six at once, I think some buyers likewise don't want to go through all the trouble of accumulating a set one dish at a time. In this case, they were willing to pay a premium to get all six dessert plates at once. If you were selling all twelve posters in the set, then you might make more selling them as a group, but since you're only selling the two, I vote to sell them individually.

There. I've needlessly muddied the waters. I agree with the advice so far. Split 'em up.

Sabu

T

Split em up! Always the best way to make more dough.

Pages: 1 6 replies