Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The second-ever Tiki Central & Munktiki Mug Design Contest!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 183 replies

On 2005-11-15 11:43, Tangaroa wrote:
Oh man... Hanford Lamoai!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job Mach.

It needs a HuMoai by it's side.

I'm kinda feeling Jadie on that first design...I think the computer keyboard nailed it in for me... I may still throw something in the pot..but that one is gonna be tough to compete with...

But then there's Mach...that's a doozie also..

A

Wow! So many ZAZZ designs! PJ - I love Shekina - our very own Venus! I've never seen you, Hanford, but Lemoai is a hoot!!!

Keep those great designs coming...the judges will definitely have their work cut out for them.

amiotiki

i can imagine that shekina would feel very comfy in the hand... she gets my (not to be tabulated) vote :) frankly my wife w.k. has started to amass a tidy little "female" tiki mug collection (wahines, tiki goddess etc.) and this would be an excellent addition...

I must say, so far all the entries are very impressive!
I do have one question. I have jotted down a few ideas for my other two designs, but I was wanting to know this:

I was looking at the Munktiki website and all of the mugs are "smooth" and "cartoonish" (I'm trying my best not to compare them to Shag-style). Do we need to fit those specs or go hog wild on detail?

If this is a question that cannot be awnsered, I appoligise.

Dont worry about conforming to our design style. Go hog wild, though I may regret saying that in the end.

One thing to think about though.... the detail and technicality of a design directly relate to its cost to produce. A super detailed piece may result in a higher cost mug.

-stuckie

On 2005-11-18 08:11, stuckieshaft wrote:
One thing to think about though.... the detail and technicality of a design directly relate to its cost to produce. A super detailed piece may result in a higher cost mug.

Oh, in that case, I choose Johnny Dollar's design. :D

yeah, i could make the master sculpt for #1 out of play-doh :)

I have to admit that I like the spiked skulls on the back of Rantiki's submission.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 21, 2005 4:00 AM

My first entry. A human figure in a grass skirt and masquean inspired mask, holding their tiki mug (shecky perhaps?) close. Shirt could be a bowling style shirt, traditional hibiscus pattern Hawaiian shirt, or my fave, the TC background Hawaiian shirt. The mask could be given a stone or wood style effect. The side shot needs more depth to it, but thats my crappy quick sketch.

T

Foamy, Probably the best mug that I seen. Wow This mug is the mug that people ten years from now are going to pay 1000s for. (inflation) You have great ideas and your drawing skills are top notch too. I think that I would pick your mug over any that I will throw into the ring. I think that they just keep getting better. As soon as I see a winner the next one comes out.

I would love to see a TC scorpion bowl or volcano bowl!!

And now for today's comedic relief! Here is my official entry...

Enjoy!!
Holden

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 23, 2005 3:22 PM

On 2005-11-23 12:40, smogbreather wrote:
And now for today's comedic relief! Here is my official entry...

Mate, there is nothing bad about that. I was trying to think of something that is not an actual tiki, and you came up with a really cool idea. I love it. Captures the TC spirit nicely!

HEY wait a minute Smoggy. You said you were going to do a stick man. I feel let down.

It seems I forgot to self promote.

All hail the savage.

Can someone post a link to the "First Ever" Tiki Central/Muntiki Mug Design Contest? I tried searching and couldn't find it. Mahalo! :)

On 2005-11-26 16:08, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Can someone post a link to the "First Ever" Tiki Central/Muntiki Mug Design Contest? I tried searching and couldn't find it. Mahalo! :)

All accounts of the first-ever Tiki Central Tiki Mug Contest were lost to the sands of time.

Tiki Central started out as a Yahoo Club. When Yahoo merged Clubs with Yahoo Groups, most of Tiki Central's early posts were eaten away, including all the posts about the first mug contest. This is why there's so much mystery surrounding the origin of Shecky's name and logo, and other early Tiki Central rituals. It's also why I and others got sick of Yahoo and moved Tiki Central here, where it prospered!

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-11-27 01:40 ]

I'm probably gonna need some artistic help on my mug design, I've made some sketches & I'll try to work them up a little better on Monday.

I literally dreamt this up on Thursday Night/Friday Morning.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-11-27 17:57 ]

On 2005-11-23 11:14, Digitiki wrote:
I would love to see a TC scorpion bowl or volcano bowl!!

I'd just like to say that I didn't see this post before I had my dream of the FlaMoia Bowl, but I hope the bowl makes you happy!

AA, I still would love to see a Reloy with a Leroy-with-a-Chainsaw for a handle!

Before this contest is over I'd like to say how much fun this has been, checking the threads daily and seeing the new designs. We have some very talented and creative members and I'm glad that I decided to participate. There are several designs that I would definately want to purchase out of those submitted so I'm really excited to see who wins. Thank you very much for making this contest and special thanks to those that submitted an entry (or three), you've all made my day for the past month or so.

T

I second Spork

Daily excitement seeing and reading new mug post.
The thoughts and illustrations to create a mug on paper.
A bit of friendly competition
Finding out who wins
Seeing the finished mug
Buying it.
Loving it.
Can there be anything more fun for all?

Thanks guys for dreaming this up. There are so many great entries... It was super fun to play!

If the Suffering Hanford and Lemoai don't win - these should be made up anyway... They're GREAT!

Visit http://www.cherrycapri.com!

[ Edited by: cherry capri 2005-11-29 22:14 ]

T

I would love to see some of these images on t-shirts maybe runner up shirts or other items!! The entries are all so wonderful it would be fun to retain some of the excitement of the contest by having them as a keepsake of some type. Just a thought since I now know that some of the TC'ers have Cafepress affiliations.

Great stuff! Goodluck everyone.

ALRIGHT... Well this was the first time that I have ever posted anything on Tiki Central that had an image, and for some reason even though the image that I scanned was a 4x6", it's viewing as though it's a 1.5 x 1.5 image. Please help. I followed all the the shutterfly, & TIki FAQ's, yet no matter how hard I try my mug is faintly visible

Hi All,

Remember, the deadline for the contest is at 11:59 tonight! Today's your last day to enter!

Help!!!! my camara's not downloading the pics i've got for the contest. Anything special needing to download. It's not my normal canon but a fujifilm 3800

On 2005-11-30 00:08, vegatron wrote:
ALRIGHT... Well this was the first time that I have ever posted anything on Tiki Central that had an image, and for some reason even though the image that I scanned was a 4x6", it's viewing as though it's a 1.5 x 1.5 image. Please help. I followed all the the shutterfly, & TIki FAQ's, yet no matter how hard I try my mug is faintly visible

When you were following the instructions, you right-clicked on the tiny image in Shutterfly instead of the big image. the image you click on is the one that will show up in the post.

~Hanford

T

Ramba Zamba- Welcome, seems like a few poeple's first post on TC is for the mug contest. If your mugs don't win, at least you will have a few nice pictures to frame up and hang. Sell maybe too, very nice drawing and coloring. -teaKEY

Hope this works, otherwise Sabu The Coconut
Boy offered to help me out here!
Mahalo
~ ML ~

[ Edited by: Mark London 2005-11-30 14:57 ]

T

I thought the "Hanford Lemoai" had it all sewn up (and maybe it does), but Chongolio's Ohana Hut is off the hook! I think it would be cool if it were huge, but it might be too expensive. The nice thing is it could be adapted to just about any size, from single to double to quad. Can I order one now?

D

So many super designs. Although I understand Hanfords reasoning, I can't help but wish Tiki Central members could cast our votes for the design we feel would be best to follow in the shadow of Shecky. I can't wait to see who wins...good luck everyone!

Has there been any talk about when the judging will occur?

Okay, all the entries are in, now it's off to the mysterious second phase, the judging. I am incredibly happy with the turnout and I can't wait to see who wins!

Stay tuned .....

Can we place our orders yet!

Put me down for one please.

Mahalo

Good luck to everyone that entered. I dont envy the judges at all.

No kidding, this is going to be a tough contest to judge as tehre are some seriously good designs out there. The talents of those here never cease to amaze me. Is anyone interested in making a peoples choice topic? Maybe even making it a poll though there would be a lot of choices.

I think a poll would be fun........I wanna see how bad I loose....hehehehe

Do we really need a poll? Its kinda apparent of which ones are favored by the few commnent added on? And I really don't want to know what folks thought of mine. I already know what I can do to improve 'em.

Aw, darn. My marq needs a nose! :oops:

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-12-07 10:17 ]

On 2005-11-30 09:52, scarysnarles wrote:
Help!!!! my camara's not downloading the pics i've got for the contest. Anything special needing to download. It's not my normal canon but a fujifilm 3800

try going to fuji's website and downloading the driver for their 3800 camera. that should fix it.
Holden

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2005 1:26 PM

Wow, I can't believe all the entrees that came in just before the close of the contest. Three pages all month and three pages the day of. I have to say that Munktiki will not have to make a stick figure mug, for many talented Tiki-Centralites, with all different ways of showing us the perfect mug. And on top of that, Munktiki can only improve on what we have, to make something eye-catching and beloved.
All this buildup for the last month and now there is a silence. The suspense of not even knowing when we will know. I know its been only two days but tack that on to the last month and the fact that its cold and snowy there.

Its got to be the snow. Anyways, I was looking back through the mugs for consideration and I see that Mauitiki, you have updated your entry to what looks to be the real thing.

It doesn't appear to be homemade, is it? Or what is it? I thought that it was a fine design. The Tappo and X eyes are two of my favorite mugs.

That Ohana Hut may be the coolest mug/bowl I have have ever seen. Hopefully somebody will produce that regardless of whether it's a TC item or not. I know I'd buy at least two (one to look at and one to use).

UB

On 2005-11-01 06:41, tikifish wrote:
Am I allowed to enter? Or will I be run out of town for even suggesting that?

Well, you got a place to crash here if you wish (fully stocked Tiki bar included). :)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 4, 2005 4:25 AM

So, when do we find out the lucky victor?

M

TeaKey... My friend actually made me 4 mugs for me from my drawing. It turned out to be much more work than we anticipated. We had hoped to make some for a local Maui restaurant, but couldn't make the numbers work.

hey, when do we find out the results?!?!?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 183 replies