Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mug Design Contest Entry topic

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

I am a fan of Munktiki work, so my design tends to lean towards that streamlined Modern minimalist appraoch. Although rendered in greyscale, I would suggest a classic Tiki Central Forest Green glaze.

For your consideration Design #1

Visit http://www.cherrycapri.com!

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri 2005-11-29 22:34 ]

I know it's deritive, but it's just so tough doing a follow-up to the famous Shecky.
So perhaps there should be a precursor instead? ...as in Shecky's "Hoity Toity" Uncle Milton...
For your consideration... Design #2

And finally a Scorpion "like" Bowl... There is no central reservoir for lighting though - which makes for more room for booze AND then bowl can be used to serve snacks when not in use for cocktails! Again, I'd suggest a classic Tiki Central forest green glaze color.

For your consideration... Design #3

Visit http://www.cherrycapri.com!

[ Edited by: Cherry Capri 2005-11-29 22:37 ]

Similar to playing the lottery, one has to enter in order to win.
Here's my toss in the hat.

Entry 1: Winky Marq with dimples

Entry 2: Tambua tiki

Ooops, my Tiki Central name on the bottom got hacked off. My apologies. Lets see if I can reload it before the contest ends. Stuck on dial up for a day or so.

Best of luck to everyone entered. Lets see how we do. :drink:

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-11-30 07:27 ]

H

T.C.Palmetto I

T.C.Palmetto II
[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-29 20:36 ]

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-30 23:06 ]

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-30 23:08 ]

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2005-11-30 23:10 ]

Allright, here's my first foray into this Tiki Madness, it's big, it's slab sided, it's designed to hold ALOT of alcohol! My first concept was more cubist with Top Knots as an additional set of smaller mugs but time, etc. I think I'll develop them out at some point anyway...

Enjoy!

Captain Pokie!

H

This is a design I came up with a while ago. Instead of "the pirate" on the back, I would go with "tiki central" on the back, surrounded by an assortment of tikis. Just cause everyone loves the spirit of adventure and dreaming that a pirate conjures up.

J
john posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 10:35 PM

for my entry i would like to enter "Wo-Fat" he is my first tiki and my favorite, he is the original glass tiki, so it would be fitting that he be mde into a tiki glass :)

here is in a monochromatic and colorful images
-john

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
Fused Glass Tiki Art
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: john 2005-11-29 22:41 ]

Triple Trouble.
Three devil faces, one mean beverage vessel. Say no more...except perhaps "bartender, may I have another?"
Horns could be separate small recesses for flame effects.

[ Edited by: MonkeyToy 2005-11-30 11:28 ]

Here are my 3 sketches.
#1 untitled (traditional)

#2 Ta Moko (I meant no offense to any Maori peoples)

#3 untitled (contemporary)

I'm no wordsmith. Maybe someone else could name them?

E

First I just want to say, "WOW!!!" to everything I've seen. Amazing job done by everyone!

I wasn't going to enter this contest but started tinkering around in photoshop tonight with virtually no plan. ha

I started with the TC design which I feel should be used in at least one of the TC mugs and did a back design. Then I got to the front so my approach was really lame.

Since I'm running out of time I decided to leave the tiki to your imagination:

Then I decided to borrow MachTiki's Lemoai (which I personally think is the winning mug!) so you can get an idea (it actually looks a little like a chocolate Hanford but you get the idea):

I don't think I have the winning mug, but it was fun!

K
Kono posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 2:31 AM

Here's mine:

Obviously he is strongly inspired by August Holland's "Bowl of Light" painting, a painting that nearly every TCer has or wishes to have.

The shallow bowl would be used to hold some flaming high proof or dry ice. There could be some wood grain effect as well as the tattooing.

I'm not the best at drawing. In the second sketch that bowl would actually have a larger diameter, like in the first pic.

After uploading these to fotki last night I'm not so sure if I like the pot belly. Not wanting to draw it again I did a quick hack job with PSP to give him a skinnier and shorter torso to emphasize the head more. An alternate version.

Hi guys,
this is my first posting on TC. So let me say a few words.
I am from Germany and working with Haikai in our Designstudio Spielraum.

Here are my sketches for the tikimug contest.
The first one called "holzkopf" and is designd to appear like bamboo.

The second mug in volcano style is called "hitzkopf".

The shortend rocket is design nummer three and goes by the name of "zündkopf".

Thanks for the oportunity!!

S
sumu posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 10:35 AM

Ok, so, technically, she's not a tiki. However, this is my salute to all the 50's Marwal busts, head vases, ethnic chalk and ceramic busts, as well as Cosmo De Salvo (the Bali Beauties illustrator). And, besides, no one did one. She has simple, more graphic details, glossy skin and face, textured hair, one color bronze colored glaze. Sip your cider thru the opening in the back. And of course, the obligatory tiki necklace.

On 2005-11-29 12:33, vegatron wrote:
Aloha everyone out there in the world of tiki. My name is Javier, and I am a graphic artist, and a bartender at the Rendezvous Tiki Loungs in Kenosha, WI. The owners, and co-workers told me about the contest and thought it would be a good piece for my portfolio that I'm building to get into a graphics college. Hope you enjoy my work. Bottoms up!

Just found out about this today!

No idea how to "host" images...so I
sent a Jpeg of my (done in 1/2 hour)
King NepTiki rendering (with seperate
chrome trident!) to the Munktiki website.

This is my own little tribute
to the old Pacific Ocean Park.

~ ML ~

ok so my lazy ass forgot to do this before the last day (I am good at that) so use lots of imagination and here are my two entries......pieced together from pats I found

This first one is a tiki god with a mans body half of the body is traditional tribal styled tattoo the other half is retro tattoo of a wahine pin-up drinking from a mug (Shecky?) the idea was to represent both the traditionalist and the neuvo tikiphiles

This one is a concept I had......we do a drink menu wrapped around a mug with each mug being the best of the mug competition (not the ones I used as fillers) then the text would read name of mug and who designed it........this way everyone gets in on the design.......but it may be too hard to do as well.......

E

Here is my final tinkering. Back by popular demand is MachTiki's LEMOAI, except this time he's turned into a 3D Volcano God.

He should be sculpted just deep enough so that a sugar cube soaked in 151 will fit into his noggin. Think of the hours of fun you can have burning up Hanford's head! But don't limit your thinking to sugar, sweetie...how about incense? Love notes gone bad? Well, you think of the rest....

Here is my 1st attempt

It seems that many have taken Shecky on some wonderful adventures.
While on one of these adventures he wandered off and was never seen again.
Turns out he was captured by a tribe of rum soaked head shrinking tikiphiles.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2005-11-30 13:38 ]

Well here goes.

A couple of designs for the competition. I'm guessing everyone thinks I'm coming in late to protect my ideas, but truth is the day job is super busy, I wanted to do 3 designs.

This design is a warrior with shark tooth club and Ikika helmet.

This fella is a more traditional mug design, but using a trend from hot rodding of using green as an accent colour. Not steel wheels, fire wall and engine block this time, but eyes, mouth and chiny beard.

Hope you like them and nice job on all the other designs in comp. I'd hate to be a judge on this one.

Cheers

Ok here is my entry. Not really a mug but more of a bowl. Here it is the Tiki Central Ohana Hut (or the hale that Zazz built)

This one is inspired by all the cool friends I have made here on T.C. This hale style bowl is designed to be shared with all your T.C chums. The glyphs on the side could be be changed out to represent the various interests of our community or maybe even embossed replicas of some of the other entries.
I suppose the whole thing could be made smaller and serve only one person but where is the fun in that?
I really liked all the entries and I feel sorry for the folks who have to try and pick a winner out of all these killer submissions. Good luck everybody! Thanks for a havin' this great contest y'all.

Chongolio

" I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain
http://www.Lost-Isle.com
http://www.piggod.com

[ Edited by: chongolio 2005-11-30 20:50 ]

B

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-02-17 19:54 ]

Here is my two meager attempts. There are some really great ideas in this thread!

I wanted to do a whole scene that wrapped around the mug without a specific front or back.

This one is a carving that went to Dr. Z on his birthday. I thought it would make a cool mug if it were tall and thin like a collins or mojito glass. Of course it would need a base that was flat and wide to make it stable.
Thanks for letting me use this Dr. Z! :D

[img]

The sleeping Moai as a stand alone mug

King Nep-Tiki!
Rhinestones in crown and a
single stone in Seahorse's eye.

~ ML ~

R

Here's my entry #3 - How about a Bamboo Mug with some bite. I call him the Big Bamboo.

[ Edited by: RanTiki 2005-11-30 16:06 ]

A

What the heck - I'm no artist, and I'm way out of my league, but this is what I was able to whip up in half an hour...

He's my lucky tiki guy, complete with a string of cowries and seeds around his neck for that truly worshiped feel...hehe.

Front view

and...

Side view

amiotiki

E
eel posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 7:01 PM

OK sorry for my bad drawing but getting what was in my head on to the paper was pretty tough.

Many of us have been upset, angered, or passionate about at least one thread through the years but then there have been the times TC makes us laugh so hard tears come to your eyes....this was my inspiration for "Strait Shooter"
Hold him up and he's angry, nostrils flared, spitting mad, eyes blood shot from staring at the screen but turn him over and he's laughing so hard he's crying.
As you can see from the less detailed side view, there are two drink containers, one for a cocktail like a Mai-Tai and the bottom one large enough to hold a chilled mixed shot (do I hear a shot contest in the future) or maybe a fine rum for sipping. Pick your poison or your mood.
I'd love to see him in a mat red...the color of passion

D

I haven't posted anything for a long while, and there's nothing that focuses the mind like the last minute...

I only have one concept for the mug. The monkey behind the tiki represents the monkey-like quality of TCers. That is, that we are fun, love to wear the fez, love tropical drinks with umbrellas, and are attracted to shiny mug-like objects. He is sitting on a human skull as a reminder to anyone who challenges the tiki gods. Also, we all really seem to like the headhunter mugs (or the straight-up skulls) so I wanted to incorporate that into the design, without being a skull mug re-tread. There is also a bit of the savage animal Vs. refined hipster conflict symbolism there... The tiki is on the front of the mug because Tiki is the first thing that Tiki Central is about...I mean, really, think about it....:wink:

I tried to limit the color palette to approximate the glazes that the mug should have. It would be a low relief, and there would be some extras glazed on (like the red for the fez). The first one is in a "rolled out" view. The second one (the quick and dirty one) shows a bit of the relief that it would have. Personally, I don't like mugs that are really deep relief, or shaped weird...to drink out of. This mug should be something that you would want in your collection, but not something that you would not feel comfortable holding at a gathering (or would have those hard to wash recesses...you know, that catch all the pulp...)

Anyway, everyone's mugs look great, this has been a great creative "kick in the pants" for me. I hope we can do more of these....

Mahalo.
Jared

OK here is my mug design "Merkin" I would guess he would be roughly 7" tall and about 2.5" is diameter. On the back, I wouldn't mind if it had its name on it or not. Hope you like.

This was alot of fun. Much thanks to the contest coordinators. Here is my entry - Tiki Surfer Dude. After I completed it, I kinda thought it looked like Crazy Al???

http://www.paradisefoundonline.com

[ Edited by: great kahuna 2005-11-30 19:40 ]

Sorry I made the picture so big. I had a problem getting it uploaded.

[ Edited by: great kahuna 2005-11-30 19:46 ]

M

Time is running out, so I'll give you my final 2 sketches.

The one on the right would/could have a colorful hula girl in the mouth.

Great designs everyone, may the best mug win!

B

These drawings are just quick and dirty, but here are a couple ideas to throw out there...

How about a Milan Guanko homage? We have always loved his carvings and felt that his style was under-appreciated or at least under-represented. Maybe do the Tiki Central monicker in relief at the base like an old Hawaii Kai or Aloha Hut mug?

Also in the vintage classic vein is a PMP style mixed with the Chin Tiki guy holding a sign:

He sure seems happy, no?

We are not quite sure what the hell this is... part simple, stylized, Tiki Bob-esque, part masked Tiki do-gooder or super hero (Green Hornet?). Probably not best not to scribble drawings and mug ideas under the influence of several Chef Shangri-La Mai-Tais... Whatever:

-Duke and Amy

Thanks for all the entries! The contest is now closed ....

I'm bumping this topic to make it easy for our Judges to find it!

Pages: 1 2 82 replies