Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

dear g*d!!! more piantings i'll forever be without!

Pages: 1 36 replies

K

Lunar Activity1
2X4'
$1750
gouache on paper
SOLD

Lunar Activity2
8X10'
oil on panel
$750
AVAILABLE - contact Rhoda at La Luz de Jesus La Ca

Lunar Activity3
8X8"
$250
gouache on wood panel
SOLD

Lunar Activity4
8X8"
$250
gouache on wood panel
SOLD

i had a great time signing books and drawing tikis for anyone that cruised through the gallery tonight...if you missed it then you missed it...if you didn't and you cruised by...thanks and thank you to all the other artists (esp Stuckie of Munktiki with his kick ass shot mugs) and good luck to Otto and his family! He had to cut out right when the event was starting...his wife was in labor!!! CONGRATS???

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 5:20 AM

Some very nice art there. Tasty

C

Wow, I agree. Nice paintings...I especially like Lunar Activity 1. Eye catching imagery, I like the funky style of the Tikis and animals. I could look at this painting for a long time and keep noticing new things about it. Whoever ended up with it is one lucky individual. Do you sell prints of your work in addition to originals? Just curious. Congratulations on a successful show.

K
kooche posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 8:07 PM

yeah i have a couple of prints for sale...

http://kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/printsales.html

and another one that looks like this...

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/copronason/blackandtanhulahands.html

thanks for looking and thanks for expressing the liking y'all!

ALO-HA!

S

Miles-
Sorry we could not make it, probably a good thing for the checkbook.
The lunar activity peices are incredible. Glad to hear there were 3 wise people who snatched up your paintings, and I am sure it is only a matter of time before the 4th is gone too. We love our originals and I am sure the lucky buyers feel the same way.
People, you better jump in and pick up some kooche art before he blows up and the tiki art disappears.

K

LOL

don't you mean before i blow myself up? the book signing was a total blast...i sat next to David Burke and we just kept laughing the whole time...making fun of the fact that i kept mis-spelling names all night...at the end of the night i was sitting there with Shag and we were still signing/drawing for the straglers who were still buying up books...i even signed a couple of books that were just Shag books...his idea and it felt weird buti was flattered as hell...

afterwards the Tiki Ti was LO-CO ... the whole night was great! i met sooo many new people and am starting to realize that there is no WAY to remember their names ... just too many tiki fans!

aloha y'all!

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 5:47 PM

Sirginn, I would have buy one of the two bottom but they are already sold. They are the closest to my price range. I love the last ones bright bold colors and the one above has a great tiki to go with the more vintage colors. I need to get a better paying job so I can blow my earnings. I got more time than money right now. Working of my own painting. Watch out. Its coming along good.

Everything good happens in the west. I would have came to the book signing if I lived anywhere is Cali. I would have things to do all the time. :(

M

We went to the booksigning/art show event at La Luz last Saturday. Wow, such a lineup of talent all in one room, we were blown away! The paintings that Miles did stole the show in my opinion. Those pieces were incredible in person! Too bad the show is only up through this week. If you're in the area, hurry over and see it before they take it down this weekend.

Thanks Miles for spending time chatting with us and for deliverying some mind altering art. We're definitely expecting to see much more of your work at La Luz (and other galleries of that level) in solo shows in the near future. There is no doubt in my mind that your art will get all the recognition and respect that it deserves. Keep up the great work!

This is just another great example of why we like Tiki Central so much. We've been exposed to so much inspired talent here, and Miles is without question one of our favorites.

Most sincere mahalos,

Rich & Marianne

B

Kooche, Nice to see more of your art. Wish I could have been there to see you and Shag and everyone else having that blast.
NICE.

P

Awwww, man!

I missed ModMana.
I was there. You were there. How'd we miss each other?

K

Rich and Marianne...

thank you SO much for your encouragement and sincere support...you two are much like the other San Diego collector unit Scott and Christine...i feel that the La Luz book signing/show was more important to me than any other show i've had to date...i collect books and art and most of what i buy i get at La Luz... by moving to strike in such an agressive manner on the painting you decided to buy you made a statement to the gallery...you made it clear to them that people like my images and that they would do well in such a venue...

since the show i have developed an understanding with the gallery and they have offered me an opportunity to show there in 2007 if not sooner...it has made the last 5 years SO worth it to me...i can't thank you enough for being a part of my art...you have helped me achieve something that SO many people want and it's something i won't forget or EVER take for granted...i can't thank you enough!

i'd also like to throw a big THANKS out to anyone that i have met through TC for their encouragement feedback and support...it's been more beneficial to my morale than i can say...i'd be lying if i said i didn't have more than a couple of commissions lined for the beginning of 06 and that is a great feeling!

most humble thanks TC
Miles Thompson

F
foamy posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2005 5:04 AM

Lunar Activity 1 is my favorite painting by anyone in the past few years. Certainly my favorite that I've seen here on TC. You and your work deserve what you've gotten and more. Please consider doing a full size serigraph of that one (if possible) - I'll buy one for sure. You're kill'in me these days. Can't wait to see what comes next. It sure must feel good.

It is about time they woke up and smelled the Kooche!

M

On 2005-11-14 17:13, kooche wrote:
...since the show i have developed an understanding with the gallery and they have offered me an opportunity to show there in 2007 if not sooner...it has made the last 5 years SO worth it to me...

Very happy for you MIles! For those of you not familiar with La Luz de Jesus gallery, THIS IS A BIG DEAL! There are countless very talented artists out there that greatly aspire to get their own show at this gallery. Why? Because it is commonly accepted as the launching pad for many artist's careers. A show there usually brings incredible public exposure to the work, media attention, and catapults the artist's reputation. All that can lead to the artist having some serious influence on popular culture, not to mention a huge spike in the value of the work. This definitely takes things to the next level.

We should all give Miles a huge congratulations because this is a great accomplishment! Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

S

Miles-

Congratulations again brother, I am gald others are finally recognizing what we realized years ago, you are an incredible artist with unique style. It has been a pleasure to see your art/style progress from the first show at Dion Gallery to present time.

When people come over to the house, it is your paintings that get the most attention and comments, not the Shags, Rydens, Barrs, Marshalls etc...

And now you have the opportunity to show at La Luz, the gallery that helped launch the career of many of those artists!

You deserve it man, it is long overdue.

Now go paint some more.

K

man...

i remember before i had really shown in galleries how i was SOOO quick to judge an artist's work...having only seen images printed in books or posted on line...but when you see it in person for the first time there is usually 2 typical reactions...

1 "i thought it's be way smaller" - thanks to publishing
2 "the color is WAY different than when i first saw it" - again publishing

this is true of EVERY artists work...so having work seen is the important part...not selling...comments critiques and kudos are what it's all about...seen in a book - great ... seen in person - always better... and that is why la luz is such a big deal...if you go to an opening there it's not just a stop in a gallery...you get to hear music you wouldn't have heard...thumb through books you didn't know existed and i can't afford but want...see people you know but won't return your phone calls...make love to strange a lurid men/women who's names you won't catch...get polio and find the cure and this has been happpening at La Luz for 20 years now...every other low brow gallery is a byter...they byte artists and clients...buy and re-sell...everyone goes to shows at la luz/billy shire gallery because everyone else is going to be there...ESPECIALLY gallerists!

there is a reason people want to show there and i am blessed to have the support that i have found here at tiki central in order to make a gallery like this one notice me and give me a chance to show there...so thanks everyone!

Scott and Christine - Rich and Marianne ... and to the rest of TC... thank you!

2007 will be a great show...you MAY even find a piece in there that you like even if it ISN'T a tiki piece?

H

Congrats, Miles baby! LONG overdue. So, so happy for you. I can taste that pre-show Chi Chi now....

Separation anxiety!?!?!

Another artist told me.
"Some times you gotta sell one of your kids."

I would have a hard time parting with any of those paintings.

Congrats!

EB

Kooche, I don't know why I haven't replied to your posts before, but I just have to say that I absolutely love your work. When budget allows, I will definitely put a piece on my wall. Thanks for sharing!

Aloha kooche!!!!
Really cool work !!! keep the creative art coming! Aloha Jimmy Mooney

K

thanks you guys...i can't believe a la luz show is finally a reality that i wake up to every morning...it's sooo cool! hard work pays off! thanks for being my incentive!

incidentally - anyone that is interested in owning a smallish (affordable) tiki piece might want to contact roq la rue gallery in seattle WA and get ono the list as there will be but one in my december show there...it'll be for the month of august - the hottest month of the year!

thanks again y'all...going now to get more painting going!

aloha

K

so now this topic has truly lived up to it's name...all of these paintings sold out of La Luz de Jesus...YES! i am very happy to report that the final piece of "lunar activity" sold to a celebrity that i LOOOVE! i won't name them but i am forever flattered and happy to know that this person saw something in one of my paintings...i say YES!

merry xmas tiki centralites!

Congrats Miles!!! You deserve plenty of sales and recognition!!! Hope to see you at Tiki Ti in a week or so!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Later,
Spermy

K

thansk man...

tiki ti???
dude i am there!
TORO!

T

I bet it was Leo who bought it. :) Are there pictures of the event?

Congrats miles - that's awesome news! These paintings are INCREDABLE - and even more incredable in person!

K

LEO...haha...very insider of you...but no...this person is to me WAAAY cooler than leo D...though i have to admit it if he were the buyer that'd be collectortastic...i'd dork out just as hard on that sale in a different light...

my wife is teasing me about it so i know she thinks it's cool...i feel totally dreamy! i'm just glad the piece is in someone's home and not here at my house...but it really has made my year complete!

see you at the bar!

...you may want to bring some of your cool art to chicago in june for the dva gallerys 2nd annual group tiki show and anniversary party....,

you can contact david at the gallery via the link:

http://www.dvagallery.com

it's kinda early, but these things tend to sneak up on us...i'd would love to see your work up close and add a painting to my collection...

... very colorful...

S

Miles-

congratulations again, we are very happy for you.

I am sure the dude is as happy about his purchase as you are about selling it to him, and he will likely come back for more kooche art. We speak from experience, and are going to need to a new house to fit all your stuff.

K

look...an ebay item that has my name on it!

T

I saw that, its a 5x5 inch. Its a little on the small size, although I like it. Nothing tops the tall tale tiki

K

:drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki:

"Dalianiage"
8.5X11"
oil on wood
$325

the Shooting Gallery
presents
"the Portrait of the Artist"
a group exhibit
reception 7-11PM Thursday Jan 12th 2006
:drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki: :drink: :tiki:

Its a powerful painting. The stare of the 2 Dalis is piercing.
Great job and good luck with the exhibition.

Thanks for posting it.

EB

T

Yesterday I saw this post and it freaked me out some. The night before yesterday, the last thing I did at night was looking through a Dali book.

The background is a spot on Dali. My favorite part on the painting is the Dali in the back. I don't really like when Dali painted like that, but I think you nailed that spot better than him. You have brought the two together and I,'m not sure if Dali even did that. You bought it together for me in my mind as well.

I read that the last paintings in Dali's life may not have been painted by him . He signed them and some that he did, he did not sign. This paint could possibly pass as one.

Anyone go to the showing?

K

thanks y'all!

dali is so amazing...puts the pro in prolific...the thing about dali fakes boils down to him signing reams of blank paper...that way you could pick up a few sheets and do some art of your own and sell them as dali originals...nobody knows for sure how many things he painted/printed...no true archive! i love that man...he duped us all WAAAY before warhol came along!

thanks again for all of the kind words!

K

the record cover is finished and MAN it worked out great! anyone that wants a free magnet or pin of the cover image of this record should email me from my site...QUANITIES ARE SLIM!

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com

[ Edited by: kooche 2006-01-29 07:50 ]

Pages: 1 36 replies