Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

the Robert Drasnin Voodoo II info thread

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

T

Hi everyone.

To say that Robert Drasinin's performance at Hukilau 2005 energized Mr. Drasnin into a renewed enthusiasm for his Exotica work is "a little" bit of an understatement.

The warm - no, ecstatic - reception the 'ohana showed him really moved him, and gave him the boost of creative energy that he needed in order to place the writing and recording of Voodoo II on his list of priorities for the near future.

He wanted me to make a post here to give you an update on the project.

At this time, he has five pieces of music written - those of you who were at Hukilau heard them. Due to various commitments in his life, and the nature of scoring these pieces, he estimates that it will be late 2006 before he finishes writing the record.

He'd like to record it in early 2007, and have it out in time to debut the CD and the rest of the new material at Tikikiliki's 2007 Mai Kai/Ft. Lauderdale event (be it called Hukilau or otherwise).

The one problem that he faces is that fact that after hiring pro musicians, paying for their rehersal time, and paying for the type of pro recording studio that he'll need (no home-baked project here!), it will cost between $10,000 and $15,000 to record it.

He will have to pay for this out of his own pocket, and the reality of the current music business indicates that he will more than likely not make his investment back.

And yet, he is stoked up enough about this project and the renewal of interest in Exotica, that he wants to record it anyway!

Mr. Drasnin, Hanford, and I have been talking about this situation, and we've come up with a project that will allow all of Tiki Central to get involved in the recording of Voodoo II - and for some of you, to even be present at the recording sessions.

There's some legal stuff we have to sort out before we make any announcements, but some time shortly after New Year's, we'll be ready to spill the beans.

We think you'll all be pretty excited about what we've got going.

(hint: public television, NPR, and Jerry Lewis).

Watch this thread for news about the TC project, the recording, and all other Voodoo II news.

This is GREAT news James! Count me in to help out in any way shape or form. We must continue the ball rolling to make Voodoo 2 a reality for Bob. Thanks for spearheading this fund raising project. It will be well worth it!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 6:45 AM

Great news! Count me in too! Any idea if Dionysus Records be involved in the release of Voodoo II?

T

On 2005-11-07 06:45, Kenike wrote:
Any idea if Dionysus Records be involved in the release of Voodoo II?

Remains to be seen, but I do know that Mr. Drasnin has been pleased with his relationship with Dionysis so far, and would definitley consider working with them again. I am sure he will contact them next year when there is a release timetable in place.

Yo Tidal Wave-Baum,

WAITIKI sends our best to the Voodoo II project - let us know if you need help from us, we'd love to be involved.

-Randy a.k.a. WAITIKI's Professah Humming Flowah

I think I speak for everyone, when I say: WOO HOO!

On 2005-11-07 13:04, pappythesailor wrote:
I think I speak for everyone, when I say: WOO HOO!

... or, VOO DOO!!! Hahahahha.......

Needless to say, if I can lend a hand, ear, camera, or time... I'm more than willing. You know where to find me when you need me.

V

Great, great news, can't wait for it

Ah, a Voodootooathon! Excellent. I can think of a great premium... that is, if the editing and legal hurdles can be overcome. (see thread: Robert Drasnin performance at Hukilau on DVD?)

bumpage

I don't suppose I can look forward to VooDoo II anytime soon, can I?

T

Yes - any latest news?
I remember almost passing up my $1 copy of Voodoo at a thrift because the big "Tops" logo turned me off the otherwise cool cover-art (this was years before I got into the actual genre of music). Glad I didn't - it eventually helped usher me into the world of Martin Denny, Baxter, Esquivel, etc.

It looks as though it's been a while since any posts on Bob Drasnin's Voodoo II project have appeared. I can tell you that he expects the CD to be released in May. I got to hear his studio master the other night when my partner/bassist Guy Wonder and I came by his place to meet him for the first time. We've been booking a jazz/lounge/exotica scene over at The Derby on Monday nights that we call The Purple Pit, featuring our band, NUTTY, and other bands in the same vein, and we approached Bob to do an opening show for us with songs from his Voodoo I album. This particular show is on this coming Monday, April 2nd, at 8pm, with Nutty to follow at 9:30pm. Basically, members of Nutty will back him up with revamped charts that we pared down for a sextet. It's gonna be a great night, so anybody on this forum that digs exotica and lounge should try to make it. The Derby is in the Los Feliz area of L.A., a landmark known for its swing nights and an appearance in the film "Swingers", and I'm tellin' ya it's the place to be on April 2nd. You can find out more about Nutty and The Purple Pit by going to our website, http://www.nuttyjazz.com and our myspace pages, http://www.myspace.com/thenuttylounge and http://www.myspace.com/thepurplepit. Hope to see you there!

Sonny Moon of NUTTY

T

Nutty... you cats, sound like Richard Cheese !!!!

Actually, we sound better than Richard Cheese. He's great, but what Nutty does is focus more on the musicality, so the material sticks with you. True, we're kooky, but there's more going on. Listen for the jazz signatures and t.v. theme references. Imagine hearing "Take Five" become "Nights In White Satin" or "Purple Haze" appear out of the "Pink Panther" theme. It's wild stuff.

bump

Any news? My copy of Voodoo needs company. I originally bought Robert Drasnin under the title Exotic Excursion (Amazon), but when I found Voodoo in a music store and found it had an extra track I bought that too.

Hope this thing does not get bogged down in distribution.

The Exotic Excursion CD is absolutely stunning. That CD came from the original Master tapes but Pickwick omitted 2 tracks to fit in with their "budget-line"????

Your album should actually have 2 extra tracks on it.

Here is my short interview with Robert Drasnin during the Voodoo 2 sessions.....

http://www.digitiki.com

A BIG thanks to digitiki for putting this together so professionally.

Expect the CD in May.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Your album should actually have 2 extra tracks on it.

Holy mackarel kingfish!

Robert Drasnin is so good I was happy to pay $30 for one extra track - I'll have to compare CD's tonight - two extra tracks you say? - how good is that!

This music just keeps getting better - listening to it in the office right now

M

Thanks Mashuka!

The sound samples are great!! Every track too!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

D

This album with go perfectly back to back with the original "Voodoo!" I can't wait to see Drasnin at Hukilau in June!!!

Ooooh....checking mail for my delivery. :)

On 2007-05-15 20:42, VampiressRN wrote:
Ooooh....checking mail for my delivery. :)

And???????

Nah belay that - why mess around? My order is in.

[ Edited by: Vonratnick 2007-05-24 21:23 ]

My copy came in the mail today! Exquisite...

N

Has anyone that ordered directly from Mr. Drasnin, for a premium price, received their CD's yet? Seems to me, paying 5X the list price ought to get you a CD in a reasonable amount of time following the release, no?

Scott

R

Right today receveid my Voodoo II CD... fantastic songs (East of Xanadu the best one for me)

T

On 2007-05-30 13:11, new2tiki wrote:
Has anyone that ordered directly from Mr. Drasnin, for a premium price, received their CD's yet? Seems to me, paying 5X the list price ought to get you a CD in a reasonable amount of time following the release, no?

Geez Scott, the disc just came out last week.
Last I heard from Bob, he was signing them this past Friday, trying to get them mailed Saturday or Tuesday (29th).
Don't know if he got them out then, but I am sure if not, it was soon after.

What is 'unreasonable' about a disc being mailed a week after its release?

It's not unreasonable at all....I just was curious, no one was saying anything, and http://www.robertdrasnin.com appears to be gone. And I've seen no updates anywhere.

Thank you for the update.

Scott

On reflection, I see that my initial post was pretty snippy. James, you're right---I think the whole "gotta have it NOW! No, Make that YESTERDAY!" attitude that is so prevalent any more got to me. I'm really excited about this recording, and being able to have helped it come to fruition in a very small way.

Your TRT II update spoiled me, but I realize Mr. Drasnin most likely has many other things to do besides placate some whiner like me on a WWW BBS.

I apologize for me comments, and I really do appreciate the update. That is truly all I was looking for.

Mahalo,

Scott

I got my signed copy in the mail today, and have listened to half of it already. FANTASTIC!! Well worth the wait and money, since it was directly to Mr. Drasnin and in the form of a donation for his wonderful project. The signed CD was his return thanks for the donation, not a purchase.

Thanks for the great new CD, Robert!!!

Aloha.
Myke

T
Thomas posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 9:07 AM

Wow! An instant favorite. Love how it is so recognizably "of a pair" with Voodoo ("I") despite the passage of time between the two. Really brings the tiki scene to life for me -- maybe only seeing the live performance at Hukilau (which I didn't :( ) could have done so more.

I love this CD; thanks Robert! And I enthusiastically recommend it to anyone sitting on the fence.

RB

The Great Summer of Exotica has begun! Received my autographed copy in the mail today up the Left Coast in Oregon.

C

Well this is a real gift to start the summer lounge season. This is wonderful stuff and
the distinguished percussionists are a real treat. A big big THANK YOU to all the peeps who
made this thing happen.

I got my CD of VooDoo II yesterday.
Downloaded it to my I POD and then strolled to the beach to watch the sunset and listen to Robert's beautiful music. I gotta tell ya, it was one of the best "tiki" moments ever!
Thanks Robert!

S

Wow! ...when's Voodoo 3?

P

Robert and his orchestra just finished playing the entire album at The Hukilau about an hour ago. Simply incredible!

How exciting that must have been!!!

I got my signed copy and have had it on continuous play in my car....just wonderfeul. Classic exotica....I love it. I am ready for VoodooIII. :music:

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-06-15 21:36 ]

For those who haven't heard it yet, I'm playing a sampling of a few songs from Voodoo II on my show on LuxuriaMusic this Tuesday (June 19)...

More info and a complete playlist on the TUNES! page at http://www.maitaionline.com

Thrifting for Tunes with John T.
A short, weekly program of thematically compiled musical content, recorded behind the bar at the exotic Mauna Loa Lounge.

Listen: Tuesdays at 10am pacific/1pm eastern on http://www.LuxuriaMusic.com

The Hukilau is now concluded, the batteries are recharged for another year or so. It was a fantastic experience to share the stage with Mr. Drasnin for a second time, and although this is a studio album through and through, I have concluded that the music here is best experienced live. The live performance gives it a life and a vibe that playing a CD does not provide. It is difficult to provide good sound for such a group of musicians, but the company this year was up to the task, and the sound out front was apparently great.

I hope this can happen from time to time!

T

On 2007-06-15 16:44, spy-tiki wrote:
Wow! ...when's Voodoo 3?

Ask Formikahini!

Aloha Tim,

The comment above about the sound company doing a good job with the orchestra was right on. We happen to know Alex (from Coda Sound) and I will pass on the compliment to him. You Cats sounded great ...PERIOD)

Joe/Haole Kats

Having listened to this a hundred times now...I am especially in love with tract one and eight. Tract 8 is my fave though...and the vibes part is kewl....but basically the beat is so driving and upbeat....I can hear it in my head even as I type. :music:

S

Got " Exotic Excursion " and " Voodoo 2 " ( Thanks Jeff ! ) discs in the post today . Deeply digging both , natch . For anybody who hasn't got Voodoo 2 yet , it has , FWIW , my highest recommendation !

Was very pleased to see that drummer Roy Harte played on Voodoo ( EE ) . Roy Harte and Remo ( yes , Remo drum heads ) Belli started Drum City in LA back in the 50's . I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before . Drum City was one of the hippest drum shops on the planet for many years . Roy and Remo developed the synthetic drum head over 50 years ago ! Cool that Roy played with RD . : )

... I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before...

You've probably heard him on dozens of recordings and didn't realize it was him. For example, he plays on some of the earlier Martin Denny albums.

One album you HAVE to find by Roy Harte and Milt Holland is "Percussion Unabridged." It came out on both the World Pacific and Kimberly labels with different cover art. The Montgomery Brothers are all on the album (although Wes is definitely in a support role). It sounds like if Martin Denny made a record on which they all stretched out and included more space for improvising in the arrangements. It's a really top notch and overlooked exotica album.

S

On 2007-08-20 06:07, OnyaBirri wrote:

... I , being into vintage drums , knew of Roy , but had never heard him play before...

You've probably heard him on dozens of recordings and didn't realize it was him. For example, he plays on some of the earlier Martin Denny albums.

One album you HAVE to find by Roy Harte and Milt Holland is "Percussion Unabridged." It came out on both the World Pacific and Kimberly labels with different cover art. The Montgomery Brothers are all on the album (although Wes is definitely in a support role). It sounds like if Martin Denny made a record on which they all stretched out and included more space for improvising in the arrangements. It's a really top notch and overlooked exotica album.

Will do . Came across Perfect Percussion which also features the Montgomery Brothers .

Yea ...studio musicians in the old days almost never got album credits . Look at Hal Blaine !

Will do . Came across Perfect Percussion which also features the Montgomery Brothers .

This is the SAME record! At least two titles and at least three different covers...

S

New Denon CD player ( still made in Japan and not China ) arrived this morning , a replacement for my trusty 12 year old Onkyo which was showing its age and not really worth putting $ into .

Christened the Denon with Voodoo 2 !

Pages: 1 2 60 replies