Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

4th annual Florida Ohana Luau @ Hawaiian Inn, Daytona Beach

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies

I can't think of a better way to make my first post on Tiki Central in several months than to announce plans for the fourth annual Florida Ohana Luau at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach.

The dates are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, January 27,28, 29. Friday will be dinner at Julian's (they DON'T take reservations, but we'll let them know approximately how many are coming), and Saturday will be Teauila's Hawaiian luau and show at the Hawaiian Inn (they do take reservations).

We picked these dates because they are close to my wife's birthday (which is how this party got started) and because Tiki Bree and Tristan can make it on that weekend.

As those that have been to this party in previous years can testify, this is a very informal event intended as a chance to relax and party at one of the best Polynesian Pop culture sites in the state.

In case anyone is wondering we've tried vending, but everyone has been too lazy to bother with that - so just pack a suitcase and show up with no worries. Also, this is basically an adults weekend meaning you can bring kids if you want, but don't be surprised if the cops come looking for you at 2 a.m.

As in previous years everyone is responsible for their own reservations.

For hotel information and reservations, go here: http://www.hawaiianinn.com/

For dinner and show reservations, go here:
http://www.teauilashawaii.com/index.htm

If you intend to join us, please post below so I can sound like I sort of know what is happening when I talk to the guys at the hotel.

I'll post a few more details as the date gets nearer. If you have questions better asked off-line, e-mail me at [email protected] and write "Hawaiian Inn" in the subject line. Please don't send me e-mails asking me if you will be welcome or whether you will have a good time because you are and you will.

Mahalo & aloha,
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2005-11-07 10:16 ]

Captain Pokie and I will most definitely be there! Count us in and email me if there's anything I can do to help you out in any way Geoff!

TB

Yipppppeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

I start looking forward to this intimate gathering by February (as in: as-soon-as-it's over) and have to wait sooooooo long for it. It's almost here!! Thanks KG for the superb date choice, this would be one very sad wahine if I coudn't come.
O Vern, are you sure about you decision?????

H

Well, I wouldn't miss it! I'll need to run through the details with the better half, but the annual East Coast Tiki Revival at the Hawaiian Inn has been a high priority, and pencilled into our calendar for some time now.

I missed the last one and the last Hukilau but now that I finally am getting my shit together promise to make it to this one. It just sucks that Geoff and Pablus will be there.

J
JonPez posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 4:18 PM

Would not miss it for the world!
Trying to find a shirt that will look faaaabooolous in the blacklight of Teauila's show is going to be my priority until then...

Don't let Flounder know but I'm changing the dates. I'll send everyone but him a private message. Shhhhhh! :lol:

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2005-11-07 17:02 ]

J
JTD posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 5:18 PM

Geoff,
Katie and I (and perhaps #1 son) will be there. No wimping out for us this year!

Thanks,
JTD

P
pablus posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 8:13 PM

Sounds great.
I think Haole Kats and The Crazed Mugs will make the trek together and jam the weekend into the ground... or surf.

FURTHER, I may MIX a super Zombie Barrell, but I guarantee that I won't be supping it... much...

K

Gotta love it......tag me in for the weekend. No guarantees however that I won't be supping on the Zombie Barrel........that is a drink right Pablus?

TB

On 2005-11-07 12:05, Humuhumu wrote:
Well, I wouldn't miss it!

Humuhumu.............can we still have our annual slow dance together???????
You wont mind, will you Hanford.............

We can't wait!!!!!! The Hawaiian Inn party is a blast with an awesome group of tiki people!!! YIPEE!!! I know exactly what dress I will wear! YEAH!!!!!

On 2005-11-11 14:35, Neptune Wahine wrote:
We can't wait!!!!!! The Hawaiian Inn party is a blast with an awesome group of tiki people!!! YIPEE!!! I know exactly what dress I will wear! YEAH!!!!!

Pretty girls in pretty dresses is so tiki! YIPEE!!!!
KG

S

And the annual bench pressing of Humuhumu?

We're in....

B

Damn! Why can't y'all do this the first week of December when I'll be in Florida? Sounds like a lot of fun. Well, maybe we can join in next time.
-Duke

TB

On 2005-11-12 18:28, Swanky wrote:
And the annual bench pressing of Humuhumu?

I'm game if Humuhumu's game.........

I

I enjoyed last years event so much, that I will definitely consider attending again. An initial look at the calendar shows that the weekend is free, all I have to do is look at a few of the other variables ($$) involved. It actually helps out that the weekend is in late January.

Vern

Please come see us Vern. We really enjoy your company, plus you find some of the greatest tiki treasures.
KG

TB

On 2005-11-15 14:52, Kailuageoff wrote:
Please come see us Vern. We really enjoy your company, plus you find some of the greatest tiki treasures.
KG

Yes, Vern, pretty pleeeeeeeease............

Andy and I will be there this year. Our first time for this event and for the Hawaiian Inn, very excited!

A few updates...

Tampa's own Haole Kats have offered to play an afternoon set on Saturday for the ohana. Exact timing is still to be worked out, but do plan on a mid-afternoon of vintage Hawaiian tunes at the hotel.

NeptuneTiki and I were talking today and it seems the 24 hour Rolex GTP race is in Daytona the same weekend we are there. That means hotel rooms might be tough to reserve if you wait much longer. Marian and I booked a one bedroom suite today, but I suggest anyone seriously planning on this party make their reservations soon.

If you want to vend out of your room, please do so. We'll try to spread the word on who is where with what, when there.

I have a collection of vintage south sea adventure movies featuring Jon Hall (first husband of Florida's Frances Langford) and am thinking of screening "South of Pago-Pago" before the Haole Kats take the stage, if there is any interest in that.

KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2005-12-07 19:02 ]

Steve and I are all aboard! :D
See y'all there!

HK

KG -- Thanks for the reminder about making reservations. We're looking forward to it!

Josh

P

OK, I booked a room. A suite like last time we can all fit in - hopefully.
I also put in a request to gather all of our rooms in the same general area.
We've had the cops called on us 2 years straight now and though we made the best of it by trekking to the sea last year, it was still kind of a bummer. Tiki Bree in handcuffs and Trader Trick and Wayne Coombs beating the cops up. A bloody mess. A real palaver.

Anyway, Geoff - you seem to know the owners the best so maybe you could pre-empt any trouble this year with room proximity effect because I guarantee you that the Haole Kats and the Crazed Mugs will be making some noise until the wee hours. Josh himself could talk enough to melt drywall.

Flounder, you're not invited and no one wants you around.
Cybertiki, same with you. Don't show up this year.

(shhh - I'm using a little reverse psychology on the dummies - they won't even know why they'll suddenly feel so compelled to be there.)

EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL!!!
BRING IT!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!! We cannot wait!

TB

On 2005-12-29 10:57, pablus wrote:

Tiki Bree in handcuffs

Oh.......thoooose handcuffs? They belonged to Humuhumu.........

K

On 2005-12-30 19:25, Tiki Bree wrote:

On 2005-12-29 10:57, pablus wrote:

Tiki Bree in handcuffs

Oh.......thoooose handcuffs? They belonged to Humuhumu.........

Wait a minute... just WHAT kind of party are we talking about here!?

:o

Update 1/10/2006:
An oppurtunity has arisen that will allow me the chance to attend. If all goes well, I'm looking for to seeing and meeting y'all.

Please take lots of pictures and maybe some video. Gotta look at these events like precious moments in time for our group.

Cheers to the east coast Ohana event and to all coming from afar to join. Please do raise a glass for those of us who are with you in thoughts and spirit. :drink:

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-01-10 18:24 ]

TB

On 2005-12-31 15:59, I dream of tiki wrote:
. Gotta look at these events like precious moments in time for our group.

Cheers to the east coast Ohana event and to all coming from afar to join. Please do raise a glass for those of us who are with you in thoughts and spirit. :drink:

We will with deepest affection. Our events are most definitely precious moments in time shared by a group of extremely extraordinary people.

Trader Trick and I will be staying at the Makai Motel in Ormond Beach because they accept pets, and as you all know Tiki Bree is always accompanied by her Tiki Pekingese.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2006-01-01 15:13 ]

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jan 1, 2006 9:27 AM

I just started a new job and can't take time off. So, I can't make it this time. Which sucks, because I enjoyed hanging out in Pablus' room with everyone more than anything. I'd rather go to 3-4 get togethers like this than one Hukilau or Tiki Oasis. Hopefully soon.

This will be my first year and I'm really excited about it! I've made my reservations for the hotel and dinner, so I'm all set.

Jimi

TB

Swanky, what a bummer!!! We will definitely miss you this year. Ya sure you cant come down for Saturday, at least? Oh, forgive me, I know it's a long trip.......just wish you could be here.

More Hawaiian Inn Party stuff!

Marian and I went to see the Christmas show at the Hawaiian Inn two weeks ago. We touched base with Wayne and Teauila and they are looking forward to hosting our upcoming tiki party for another year. The only stipulation is that Flounder and Cybertiki are banned from the premises...

Good news for the rest of us though... Wayne said it is no problem for the Haole Kats & the Crazed Mugs to set up Saturday afternoon inside the showroom. In fact, he thought the whole idea sounded great. I still need to make sure he'll have a bartender on duty for us, but I don't think that should be a problem. I'll ask for Frank since he loves to abuse us so much.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but judging from posts, I am thinking we'll have about 30 of us - about the same as last year. Although this number should be no problem, when you make reservations for Teauila's Hawaiian Luau and Show just tell whoever answers the phone that you want to sit with the "tiki party", or "Geoff's tiki party" and they'll add you to our party. Seating is usually fairly flexible, but it is better to give them a heads up on who you want to sit with.

Pablus: I have no idea what room they are going to give us. I also made a reservation for the largest room they had available but don't know where it is located. I'll call Wayne soon to see if he can work something out. I agree it would make things easier if we could be as near each other as possible.

Also Pablus, are you mixing the Zombies this year, and is there anyway we could score some fruit from Rusty's trees? Even though he won't be with us, I would love to have him contribute to the party in this way. I think he would smile about it. We'll post soon about people contributing the other necessary ingredients.

Here are a few other special requests:

Pia and Kern from the Mai-Kai were interested in attending our party, but I haven't called them yet to make sure they know about it. Maybe Tiki Kiliki can handle that for us....? If they can come it would be wonderful, if not, at least we asked.

Also, Wayne and Beki Coombs have been coming to our party for years. I'll call them, but it might be good if Bre-elle drops them a line as well.

If anyone can think of others we need to get a special word to, please do so. Not everyone stays current with TC.

Lastly, someone needs to give Julian's a heads up about Friday night and set a time for dinner. They don't take reservations but did hold a big table for us last year when we told them several weeks in advance that we were coming. Again, Bre-elle can you handle that for us?

One last item I want to share with you non-Floridians.... we have been getting a lot of bad press about our weather - what with hurricanes and the assorted inconveniences they create - but the weather has been f***ing fanatstic the last few weeks. High seventies most days and beautiful blue skies. No guarantees for the end of the month, but it sure would be nice if this climate sticks around.

More later.
Aloha,
KG

PS: Swankster - Sorry you can't make it this year. You'll be missed.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-01-03 18:34 ]

P
pablus posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2006 7:41 PM
H

I'm very sad about it, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out this year -- it's just too much of a strain on the pocketbook, and our work schedule. My heart will be there with you, though. Thank you so much for making me feel like part of the Florida 'ohana each time I've come out there, and I look forward to any and every opportunity to return the favor when Floridians visit the Bay Area.

Have a great time!

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 3:20 PM

Well that's a bummer.

We'll play a song for you and lift a glass for you.
But we won't be molesting any Witco for you.

I think that's probably the shot where Hanford's glasses shattered and he started writing poetry again instead of code.
EAST COAST TIKI REVIVAL BAYBEE!!!

Pablus,
You da man. Here's the recipe from last year...

It is the Zombie concoction from the 1946 first edition of Trader Vics Book of Food & Drink. The book says this serves 60 people.

We need donations of:

2 - 750 ml bottles of Jamacian (dark) rum

4 - 750 ml bottles - Puerto Rican (silver) rum

1 - 750 ml bottle of Demerara 151-proof rum

2 - 750 ml bottles orange curacao

3 quarts lemon juice

3 quarts orange juice

1 quart grenadine syrup (a bottle of Trader Vics would be great)

2 ounces Herbsaint or Pernod

Please post if you are able to donate a bottle of booze, or curacao or syrup. And, be sure to bring a mug. I'll bring the oversized rum barrel.
KG

Humu- we are goig to miss your infectiously naughty behavior. Wait, that sounds gross. We are going to miss your impish sense of humor. Wait, that sounds ridiculous. We are going to miss you like a sister. That's better... Sorry you can't join us.

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 7:38 PM

2 - 750 ml bottles of Jamacian (dark) rum
CHECK

4 - 750 ml bottles - Puerto Rican (silver) rum

1 - 750 ml bottle of Demerara 151-proof rum
I THINK I ALREADY HAVE THIS

2 - 750 ml bottles orange curacao

3 quarts lemon juice
CHECK

3 quarts orange juice
CHECK

1 quart grenadine syrup (a bottle of Trader Vics would be great)
CHECK

2 ounces Herbsaint or Pernod
CHECK

Well heck, if you're gonna bring all that I'll bring the silver rum. Florida's own Matusalem Rum.

Who's gonna bring the Curacao?

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-01-05 18:10 ]

TB

Wahines, lets bring munchies for the after party. I'll bring a cheese platter with crackers/breads, would someone like to bring a fruit platter? Cookies? etc?? Veggie platter?

Also could I get a head count for Julian's Friday nite?

HK

Unfortunately, $ issues will be preventing us from making it to this event. I hope everyone has a great time! Hopefully we'll get a chance to hang with some TC'ers before too long...sniff.

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

K

KG and Pablus-

I can bring the 2 bottles of orange curacao if it is still needed.....as it is all about the zombies! Also, Tiki Bree I will bring an assortment of after party munchies to keep us fueled up. I have made my room and Luau reservations, but please count me in for the dinner at Julian's. As mentioned the weather here has been stellar. That along with the folks from TC will be nothing short of total inspiration for a fantikitastic weekend. Looking forward to it......

If I'm not invited then I'm going to have to ask you all to quit using the phrase "East Coast Tiki Revival" I coined it and have a copy write on it. If you would like to keep using it you will have to pay a fee or invite me. Actually you will have to beg me to come. Then just maybe.

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart 2006-01-10 17:19 ]

If the 151 Demerara turn out to be in short supply, let me know and I'll contribute my bottle of Lemon Hart.

P

IDOT, I just happen to have a bottle of the Lemon Hart 151 ready for sharing. So save yours for the next Ft. Lauderdale luau.

Mahalo for the offer.

Last year JTD came down and dropped off a bunch of rum and took off for Jax.
This year - I hope he gets to enjoy a serious Zombie.

Floundy, would you and maikaina girl please come to the Hawaiian Inn Luau?

On 2006-01-09 08:32, Tiki Bree wrote:
Wahines, lets bring munchies for the after party. I'll bring a cheese platter with crackers/breads, would someone like to bring a fruit platter? Cookies? etc?? Veggie platter?

Also could I get a head count for Julian's Friday nite?

The wahine is going to offer up some cookies and some of her special ham-wrapped pineapple as well.

And, we are travelling as 4 for Julian's Friday night (Chip, Andy, SteveSteve and Tikilicious)

Just came back from Detroit and am glad to see all the new posts, except that the Haole Kats can't make it. Oh well.... these things happen.

Flounder, I have a tiki shirt for you from Pittsburgh. You can pick it up at the Hawaiian Inn.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies