Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

4th annual Florida Ohana Luau @ Hawaiian Inn, Daytona Beach

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies

I Dream of Tiki (Liz) and I will be heading up just in time to join everyone for dinner at Julian's so Bre - count us in. Also, Al Knepper is coming from California!! I just talked him into it yesterday. Everyone tell him how excited we are!

I'm also bringing all leftover rum from the Hukilau Home Bar Tour this past year. I believe there's more Gold than anything. We can add that to the mix!

Really looking forward to attending my first Tiki event other than my own.

P

Whoa - Al-ii!?!

Alllllriiiiiiigggghhhhhtttt.

Man, I gotta trot out some new tunes for this crazy crew.
Back to practicing.

Oh yeah - I don't think we'll make it for Julian's but we'll be at the hotel waiting for you when you get finished and we'll have a big batch of something cool, frosty and tropical - bring your own mugs unless you want to drink out of plastic cups.

I think I'm bringing Palm Farmer Johnny - Koka Nut - and possibly the Amber Love Goddess - she's a maybe.

Dang, I miss Rusty Key. He'd be all wacky for this trip already.
I think I'll call his mom right now.

Aloha.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-01-12 15:35 ]

I probably wont be there till Saturday morning and am not sure if the wahine will be able to come.

Very excited to see everyone.

How about a Key Lime rum cake? Just made one for the holidays that came out great!

This is close enough to me to do this as a Day Trip. (There are probably no more rooms to be had in Daytona if it's a race weekend). When do things kick off on Saturday?

P

Whenever we wake up.
In the past that's been sometime between 10-12 pm.

If it's sunny and warm, we'll be on the beach playing some ukulele.
If it's cold and blustery, we'll be on the beach playing some ukulele in jackets.
If it's raining we'll be on the room balcony overlooking the outdoor bar.

btw, I vote for cake.
That sounds great.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-01-13 11:22 ]

I vote for cake as well. That's at last two votes for cake. Anyway I'm really looking forward to hoisting a few zombies with my tiki Florida friends and the imports as well. Life is getting too hectic and I really need a tiki weekend.
Cheers in advance.
KG

CAKE?!? Now I feel even worse...sigh.

Josh

A
Al-ii posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 2:39 AM

CAKE!!!!!
Mahalo,
Al

Aloha! Steve and I will be attending the event with Chip and Andy! We cant wait to see everyone there! We had so much fun last year. We are really going to miss Rusty Key this year. :( He was so much fun last year, and we just fell in love with him, and in love with listening to him and Pablus beautifully serenade the night away. This year will be in honor of him. :) We are really looking forward to it! See you all then! :)

~Lenore "Tikilicious" Shaffer

PS: LET THEM/US EAT CAKE!

Bre ---- I'll bring a veggie plate. Neptune and I are definitely in for both nights. We love Jullian's. What alcohol is needed? Just tell me what to bring and we will bring it on down!

I'm counting down the days.......

Wow, I might have to make 2 rum cakes and throw in a Mai Tai Pai. I'll need to borrow someone's efficiency unit for last minute touch ups. :)

No fair planning all this cool stuff when I can't be there. :cry:

J
JTD posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 8:08 PM

finkdaddy,
Come on down!! You're in Wiscomsin, fer chrissakes. When would be a better time? I'll buy ya a drink. c'mon!

JTD

Last night I dreamt of Liz' cake.

sigh

Is it time for cake yet?

E

I guess I'm the new guy on the block. I'd really like to come out meet everyone, but I can only come on Saturday around 4pm or so. I chatted with a few of you through PM's and this sounds like it's going to be an awesome event! (and not to be missed since I'm only 30 minutes away)... I'd love to have dinner and see a show. Is there any name that I use when calling for Saturday's reservations? Also, where do I go when I get there late in the afternoon? I'll be flying solo, so if you see some big guy wandering around with a empty tiki mug and a lost expression on his face, give me a holler!!!

Ps. If there is anything you need for me to bring, please let me know!

Mahalo to all, Mark

Ugh - Another underfinanced hobby...

[ Edited by: em-de-em 2006-01-18 15:29 ]

Just sent you a PM, Mark!

I called Julian's today and told them to hold a table for 20 for dinner Friday after next. I asked for 7 pm, but they told me 7:30 was better.

Anyway, let's plan on meeting in the lobby of the Hawaiian Inn no later than 7 so we can all drive over there for dinner at more or less the same time. Our group will be the ones wearing floral attire (and tiki-related items).

Also, Marian and I plan on being at the hotel by noon on Friday in case anyone else arrives early.

Again, if you are making reservations for the show just tell them you are with the tiki party or Geoff's tiki party, and they'll know where to seat you.
KG

I

Sadly, I will not be able to attend this year, but hopefully I will make it some other year, as it truly is a fun weekend.

Vern

TB

On 2006-01-18 17:45, Kailuageoff wrote:
I called Julian's today and told them to hold a table for 20 for dinner Friday after next. I asked for 7 pm, but they told me 7:30 was better.
KG

Thanks Geoff, I was going to call tonight........
Have you heard from Jon Pez? Is he coming??

Vern, we'll miss ya darling.

It looks like we're going to have a fun feast Saturday late night!!! Cake, yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!

On 2006-01-20 07:31, Tiki Bree wrote:

On 2006-01-18 17:45, Kailuageoff wrote:
KG

Thanks Geoff, I was going to call tonight........
Have you heard from Jon Pez? Is he coming??

Vern, we'll miss ya darling.

It looks like we're going to have a fun feast Saturday late night!!! Cake, yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Nope, I've not heard from the tiki dispenser, but hope he and Julie will show. Whether our gig is you and us or much larger makes no difference. We will have FUN!
Aloha and good night.
KG

Thanks for making the reservation for all of us KG! Very shweet of you!

See y'all then! :D

TB

Trader Trick and I will meet everybody at Julian's Friday nite at 7:30pm. We are staying at the Makai because we have our little tiki Peke, Martini with us for the weekend. She thoroughly enjoyed Hukilau last year and is anxiously awaiting this event.

Hey Gals, whatcha planning to wear to Julian's?? I might go off theme and come dressed Mod 60's for Friday.

Bree-
I was thinking of a mod-60's look as well. See you Friday!
Marian

Bre - I'll follow that 60's theme for Friday. Can't wait to see you and Trader Trick! I'm bringing surprises for everyone!!

Hey Pablus, be sure to bring a cd for me! I can't wait to see you the most!

Hey, I have a silly idea. I've had this not-so-secret hope to have an anejo rum tasting. I have a couple of bottles to pitch in for a handful or so of judges. Since a fair amount of us are gathering, do we have any folks that would be up for the idea for Hawaiian Inn weekend?

On 2006-01-22 20:24, I dream of tiki wrote:
Hey, I have a silly idea. I've had this not-so-secret hope to have an anejo rum tasting. I have a couple of bottles to pitch in for a handful or so of judges. Since a fair amount of us are gathering, do we have any folks that would be up for the idea for Hawaiian Inn weekend?

Count me in. I have two different Rum liqueurs that I'll also bring for tasting purposes - Havensight and Nassau Royale. Friday night after Julian's would be ideal.

TB

Trader Trick wants to know if any more rum is needed for Saturday.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2006 8:47 AM

Hi gang, I'm going to up to Daytona for the Rolex 24 hour race and i might be able to stop by for a drink at Jullians...it's only a mile from my folks house. Dont think i can make it to long...have to get into line for the race Fri night...hope to meet some TC'ers.
Aloha for now..

Loki, Glad we'll get to see you for a bit. See you at Julian's and have a blast at the races.

I'm going to bring some anejos that don't come up on the rador so often, from Central & South America. Gonna bring Santa Fe Anejo (Colombian), Ron Viejo de Caldas (Colombian)- not an anejo but what the hey, Ron Abuelo Anejo (Panama) and Ron Centenario Anejo Special (Costa Rica). Last but not least, one bottle of Ron Diplomatico (Venezuela), which is a fabulous mixed sipping rum. Anyone with any fav anejos, please do bring.

Mahalo for the interest.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-01-25 21:50 ]

Loki, it will great to see you again. Are you bringing the wahine?

To everyone.... I can't decide between proscuitto wrapped pineapple or a huge bowl of chex mix. Hmmmm, or both? The cookies are made and being hid from the husband.

We are very excited about our first trip to the Hawaiian Inn. What are the must see's and thrift store stops for Saturday?

On 2006-01-24 07:02, Tiki Bree wrote:

I plan on making a run to the local rum seller as necessary on Saturday. I'm sure we can find a use for a spare bottle of silver or a bottle of dark Meyers, if he wants to bring one of those.
KG

TB

On 2006-01-24 19:36, Kailuageoff wrote:

On 2006-01-24 07:02, Tiki Bree wrote:

a bottle of dark Meyers, if he wants to bring one of those.
KG

Dark Meyers it is!!

P

Good News. I conned... errr... talked Haole Kats into coming and crashing on my extra beds and couch.

Dry wall will melt!

Anyway. They'll be coming in Saturday afternoon so start listening for the laughter and music and you'll find us.

K

Nice work Pablus...we will be watching for you on Saturday!!

Glad to hear the Kats have overcome their Polynesian paralysis and will be joining us afterall. Can't wait. We might have an extra sofa if Josh doesn't mind sleeping on top of Flounder. But hey, who sleeps at this thing anyway?

On 2006-01-25 18:52, Kailuageoff wrote:
Glad to hear the Kats have overcome their Polynesian paralysis and will be joining us afterall. Can't wait. We might have an extra sofa if Josh doesn't mind sleeping on top of Flounder. But hey, who sleeps at this thing anyway?

Is Josh cute?

As far as additional Rum - don't forget I'll be bringing close to 10 bottles of Cruzan. Mostly dark - they're leftover from the Hukilau Home Bar Tour.

I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone!

P

He looks great in cartoon form.
http://www.whollycatsband.com/

He's the Cat on the right.
Your right.

HK

I prefer DREAMY! Move over Floundy! Quit hoggin the covers.

J

K

Oy... looks like it's gonna be a wacky weekend...

On a coconut island
I want to be a castaway with you...

TB

WOW!!!!!!! What a wonderful weekend!!!! Fab people, great times! Thank you Geoff for all you do to bring us together, and thank you EVERYONE for coming and making our time together the best.

I will attempt to post photos soon.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2006-01-30 07:37 ]

Many Mahalo to everyone for a fabulous weekend! A very special thank you to Kailuageoff and Marion for hosting the weekend. We are so there for next years gathering!

Here is the first of many pictures to come...

The whole gang at the dinner show on Saturday.

EDIT - More pictures

The view from our room

Friday Nights Dinner

Tikilicious warming up the pole before breakfast Saturday morning.

The CASIO of Doom!

Let the Tiki Jam begin!

More pictures are on our website, stop on by
http://www.ealoli.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=36

I feel sorry for those who don't drink. When you get up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2006-01-30 10:18 ]

E

What a great picture! I guess I should have stuck around instead of making a mad dash back to #106. Do all tiki floor shows last that long?!? OMG! It was like 2 hours long! Funniest moment by far, was Tiki Bree being assaulted by the bubble machine during Tiny Bubbles! What a hoot! Thanks to all for my first event - very memorable for sure. Liz, Christine, Flounder thank you again! What a GREAT group of people!!!

(I count 10 exclamation points in this post)...

What a great weekend indeed. I had a wonderful time visiting with everyone and growing closer to those I just really don't have the chance to see very often. The Florida ohana is made up of some truly special people. Kim, Ali'i and I Dream of Tiki - I had so much fun discovering our goodies together and our mid afternoon cocktail at Julian's Mini Bar! Flounder, so good to see you and give you a big hug - thanks for the postcards and my print, to whomever brought that yummy popcorn!, the Zombies were yummy Pablus! and of course the sounds of the Haole Kats! Tristan and Bre-elle, you guys are just fantastic! And what about the performance from Tikilicious! Wow!!!!!

It was such a nice getaway with everyone.

Geoff and Marion - you'll be seeing me up in Orlando very soon!

On 2006-01-30 08:06, em-de-em wrote:
What a great picture! I guess I should have stuck around instead of making a mad dash back to #106. ... Funniest moment by far, was Tiki Bree being assaulted by the bubble machine during Tiny Bubbles!

The bubbles! The black light! The guys in hula skirts! As much fun as the dinner show was, I think the music in 106 was better! The food was definitely better!

(I can only get to five exclamation points without cheating and using multiples....)

Here's another group shot....

Mahalo to everyone who joined in the party. Special thanks to my brother Pablus for getting a suite that he shared with us even though he never did spend the night there. Also, mahalo to those who brought food, beverages and music - all the gifts were much appreciated. Although a few of us have been doing this gig for awhile it was great to see some new faces at the Hawaiian Inn this year like Kim, I Dream Of Tiki, Chip & Andy, Christie, Ali-i, the Haole Kats, and Pablus' friend Scott. Marian and I really enjoyed getting to know some of you for the first time and getting to know others better than we did before.
And one last thing... much aloha for our special friends the Neptune Tiki's, Flounder, Bree & Tristan, & JonPez. Thanks for your ongoing support of the annual Hawaiian Inn party and more importantly, for your friendship.
Geoff and Marian

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-01-30 15:36 ]

H

Awww... makes me all squishy inside to see all those smiling faces gathered together, even though I'm sad I couldn't be one of them. Sounds like it was a fabulous weekend. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 163 replies