Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Lucite Wall in Kelbo's, Los Angeles

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

K

To anyone in Los Angeles -

Remember Kelbo's, the coolest place on Earth?

For those who do, does anyone know what happened to the fantastic, pop-art lucite wall that used to be inside?

For those of you unfamiliar with the wall, it was a floor-to-celieng lucite block embedded with random objects from 1963 (the year it was made), including barbie dolls, teacups, records, silverware and, I beleive, a fried egg. The whole thing was eerily lit up from beneath, with the objects artfully suspended inside.

Does anyone know the fate of this unique object d'art? I kind of doubt they left in in there when they convereted the place into a strip club.

If it's no longer in exsistence, does anyone know where I can find a pic somewhere?

P.S. The Kelbo's wall was an endless source of fascination for me as a kid. I'm not looking to buy it, just want to make sure it's OK and has a good home somewhere. Thanks!

Dammit, I wish I'd seen that back in the day! I couldn't find a picture on Google Images.

H

I know the person that has these. He rescued them from a dumpster. Rest assured that they are in good caring hands. In a round about sort of way I do have a photo of a portion. I will try to scan it and upload it in the next 48 hours. I will also contact the person that has the panels and see if I can get some additional images to upload.

H

As promised. You'll probably be disappointed with the photograph and I did say it was a roundabout thing but it's the best I have right now.

Here's the back story of the photo. The person that rescued the panels took slide photos of them. Note my plural reference. Maybe it used to be one piece but by the time it hit the dumpster I believe it was in more than one. Anyway, this photo was taken in 1991 at an outdoor party in the Mojave Desert. That's my band in the photo. We were called Blank Tape and I was doing keyboards and manipulations. The guitarist on the left (my wife) is blocking the view of me in the photo. Well it just so happens that my friend that rescued the Kelbo's panels was doing the live light show blending together multiple projectors, slide projectors, liquid projectors, etc. For the slide projectors he would just load them up with whatever good slides he had in his personal collection, amongst those are slides that he took of the rescued Kelbo's panels. This photo just happened to be taken at the time one of those slides was being shown.

Well there you have it. As soon as I am able to get some digital copies of the slides I will post them here.

...and here's a not too helpful closeup:

K

Thanks for posting those photos! I appreciate the effort to help put this issue to rest.

I honestly can't tell if it's the same wall - I was only a kid when Kelbo's was open, and I kind of remeber it differently. Perhaps there was a local artist in the 1960's who made these lucite things. Anyway I think they're incredibly cool and I'm glad to hear someone else out there is taking care of at least one of them.

Sarah

Ah, the famous "conversation window". It was made from at least two large panels with many single resin sheets in them, each containing a collection of found objects like coffee can keys, pills and such.
John English was the vigilante preservationist who noticed the to the hilt full dumpster and made a late night call before it was emptied into the trash truck.

Welcome to Tiki Central Sarah!
Nice post.

My Grandfather Eli Hedley did the original Glass Block wall. He did work on both Kelbo's. I have pics but no scanner. If you are in the So. Cal. area, stop by the BB store on a weekend, noon-ish, and you can see the pics. Was just looking at one yesterday.

I also had a voice mail from the owners ( Kelbos) daughter and was planning on calling her this weekend ( or today see below). I'll keep you's posted.

Arrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-01-12 10:54 ]

Just got off the phone with Susan. Wow! Many stories to be told.

She has a diary/book her Mom made of all things Kelbo's.

I told her about Sven and he is going to contact her also.

This is all too cool.

(p.s. where/when do I get my Urban Archaeologist badge?? :)

On 2006-01-12 10:52, RevBambooBen wrote:
(p.s. where/when do I get my Urban Archaeologist badge?? :) )

Sorry, this's the best I got:

(P.S. - Keep up the fantastic work! :D )

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-12 14:32 ]

KelboKid

Regarding Kelbo's famous windows, the ones with all the keys, coins, bottle openers, pasta, knives, forks, spoons and other doo-dads embedded in them, they were made of epoxy resin and had to be a good 2-inches thick. They had yellowed over time. I believe they pre-date 1963, the year you gave. I started going there with my parents in 1949, and as far back as I can remember, those windows, with all the embedded stuff, were always there. I too would love to have a piece of those great windows.

The original Kelbo's was located on Pico Blvd. in W. Los Angeles. Sometime in the 1960s, they opened a second and much smaller Kelbo's near Television City near Fairfax and 3rd Streets, but that one didn't last too long. I ate there once, but it's decor wasn't exotic or unique like the original restaurant.
Kelbo's was always a family-owned and operated business. I really, really miss those Hawaiian-Style Barbecue Spareribs. They were probably baby-back pork ribs marinated in some kind of molasses-brown sugar-pineapple juice recipe. I've not been able to locate any other restaurant - tiki or otherwise - that comes close to them.

I would love to get a menu, a Flaming Zombo bowl or mug, or anything from Kelbo's that would remind me of that once great restaurant.

[ Edited by: Let's Luau!! 2006-01-30 18:57 ]

T

On 2006-01-30 18:55, Let's Luau!! wrote:
KelboKid

Kelbo's was always a family-owned and operated business. I really, really miss those Hawaiian-Style Barbecue Spareribs. They were probably baby-back pork ribs marinated in some kind of molasses-brown sugar-pineapple juice recipe. I've not been able to locate any other restaurant - tiki or otherwise - that comes close to them.

I would love to get a menu, a Flaming Zombo bowl or mug, or anything from Kelbo's that would remind me of that once great restaurant.

Man, that sounds REALLY good. I wish that kind of "Polynesian" food was still around. The ribs at Bahooka are ok, but these sound really amazing.

Bamboo Ben...try to finagle the recipe from that Susan person :wink: BTW....I still have the bamboo framed hawaiian-shirt-glued-onto-a board-and-shellacked wall art picture I bought from you a few years ago...

Great stuff !

K

Hey guys, thanks so much for your responses on this post! I'm thrilled to hear that other people remember Kelbo's restaurant and its fascinating decor, and that there are those willing to go out of their way to preserve it. Most of all, I am glad to finally find out the name of the artist who created the amazing Kelbo's window. RevBamboo, thanks so much for providing a name!

P.S. I live in LA and would be thrilled to come by and see some photos. Where is the store located?

P.P.S. It's a mystery to my why I've always been drawn to vintage Hawaiiana. I'm 26 and by all accounts should be a strict adherent to big-box decorating stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond and Pottery Barn, but frankly I hate that sh*t. I much prefer the originality and whimsicality of yesteryear!

E

Ahhh do I remember Kelbos on Pico. Opened in 1947 and we had a friend working there (I was just a kid). He used to bring us leftover ribs and cold-cuts in the early 1950's. I remember one time when two families of four went (8 people including 4 starving kids) and one of the parents paid the bill..I was astounded $20.00 seemed like a fortune. The building was expanded in the early 1960's and a second floor added for extra space and parties. The resin wall was put up at that time so 1963 seems about right. Now the rib platter.. about 6-8 meaty ribs, pineapple, yams (w/ butter) and a nice green-goddess salad. I can still taste it! 2 mai-tai's and I would have to be careful of the drive home. (best ever) mai-tai's were not too sweet and not from some commercial bottle as they are now. They mixed up a large batch at one time and remade it as necessary. My only concern was the dust from all the objects that were hanging from the ceiling (blowfish) large paper balls and lights. Claimed to be a deep pit barbecue (and probably was)the ribs had a glaze on them like caramelized brown sugar with soysauce..plus other ingredients. Enough for now..I have come close to duplicating but never right on. Eldeeko

V

I just sold a Kelbos mug on Ebay. Wow ! I was surprised how much I got for it too!

I would be so damn happy if someone came up with some photos from inside kelbos from the 60's and up. I have found nothing in years of searching. If the guy with the panels ever needs some $$, have him call me!. TWT

I would be even happier if the lab would have not screwed up my ONE roll of slide film I took at Kelbo's, underexposing it badly. Here are some somewhat usable shots:

The so called "Conversation window" in silhouette:

Part of the Beachcomber lamp ceiling with the light box cocktail menu in the background:

And the mural on the side of the building:

...plus as an added bonus, an old business card:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-01-18 19:50 ]

B

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:35 ]

YESSS!, I knew someone had to have this, I only have a B&W xerox of it. Biff, you are quickly becoming an achieved urb. arch. docent here. Thank you, it sometimes seems like a lonely job, when M&M collectibles and parties are the "hot topic".

thank you bigbro and bif for the pictures - those are priceless!

where does one have a lucite wall or table like kelbos made?

thatch has a need.

The last time I was at the Purple Orchid, Rebecca said they were going to do a bar top like that.

can you guys tell me about Kelbos. It was my grandfathers restaurant and he died before i was born. Do you have a picture of it?

Hi Annabellie, it is always great to hear from relatives of original Tiki Bar owners. Are you Tom Kelly's granddaughter? I wish I had more images than these but at least I have an exterior:

This building, with the lighthouse, was built after the original burned down in 1960. Apparently Tom and June Kelly lived in the penthouse apartment (complete with lap pool) above the restaurant. There also was a location on Fairfax avenue, of which I have never seen pictures.

I used to go to Kelbos in the late 80s/early 90s, when Joey Cheezhee had his lounge revival events there. He actually might know a lot more about it, he became friends with Tom Kelly and must have heard lots of stories. It was an amazing place inside, a Beachcomber style, found art museum.

I usually don't like to post material of this inferior quality, but for your benefit, here is a B&W copy of a brochure.
Maybe someone here has an original, I would love to get a good color copy version of it:

It has some really nice info about the resin window...

...and the map of the various artifacts is really great, too:

What information can you contribute, I am always grateful for any tit-bits?
Here is a close up of the cocktail menu lightboxes they had at every table, these must have been put in in the 70s:

I also have three more photos from Kelbo's in my "Book of Tiki":
The Tiki by the juke box, and the mug on page 178, and the sign on page 170

I somehow remember hearing that one of the two owners, either Kelly or Bouk, was involved with Horrace Heidt's band, that's why they had the "swing dance under the coco bowl" events up until the 80s, where lots of old folk gathered to exercise their dance legs:

Here's a jacket pin I just dug up, this design was also on their T-shirts.

And for the life of me I can't remember what bifcozz had posted above once,
and what I got so excited about...and I sure wonder why it's not up there anymore!?

Wooo...what happened? I just checked, and ALL of Biff's posts are erased! Did someone piss him off? Was he 86ed? Too bad, he had added some valuable material here.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-04-27 06:12 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2007 5:00 AM

On 2007-04-26 21:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
There also was a location on Fairfax avenue, of which I have never seen pictures.

Could this be it?

Forgot to add, pics came from here- more details in the "Cars - and one for Hewey " thread.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-10-06 05:12 ]

BB

That is the corner of 1st Street and Fairfax with the CBS building across the street in the background so I'd say Yes that's It!

Nice work Paipo.

Jeff Berry has a picture of the Fairfax Kelbo's in his new Sippin' Safari on page 58, now. By 1968, they had added a big Tiki by the sign.

BB

On 2007-10-06 05:00, Paipo wrote:

On 2007-04-26 21:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
There also was a location on Fairfax avenue, of which I have never seen pictures.

Could this be it?

Here is that same corner today 10/6/07.

It’s funny how I don’t have time to exercise, eat right, clean my apartment or do laundry but I can drive 5 miles to take a picture no one is dying to see. :)

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-10-06 17:56 ]

Boris, I hear you...because I DID my laundry (AND my son's!) yesterday, AND finally unpacked my suitcase (usually takes me a WEEK), I am "allowing" myself to post these pictures in response to your survey now:

Now the Tiki really has a reason to frown!

...the words that begun this thread echoing in our minds full of irony:

On 2005-11-09 13:54, KelboKid wrote:
Remember Kelbo's, the coolest place on Earth?

M

I guess now it's the "smarmiest" place in the world. This type of urban archaeology always amuses me.

T

Neat thread.

Guys, I don't know if this is going under the radar, or if it's being watched by many, but there's a Kelbo's slide on ebay going off tonight. Thought those interested might want to know (if they don't already). I just happened to see it, it's not my auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280160322405&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123

[ Edited by: TikiSOX 2007-10-12 04:40 ]

Thanks man, I am gonna get it! That must be the Fairfax one. I often wonder what treasure trove of Poly pop images lies in slide boxes and photo albums (and gets tossed), and am frustrated that there is no way to know, or to get to them.

Charles Phoenix is doing a great thing, but considering the tens of thousand of slides he has had to sift through in his quest, only a few had great Tiki quality. But every find counts. Thanks again.

T

Glad to be of help BigBro. Every now and then you find something that isn't in the main categories. Neat pic though. I love those family photos.

Good luck with the auction!

Hey! Got sniped! But then, really wouldn't have wanted to pay 30.- bucks for a maybe too dark slide...
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=280160322405

On 2007-10-12 17:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hey! Got sniped! But then, really wouldn't have wanted to pay 30.- bucks for a maybe too dark slide...
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=280160322405

Aloha Sven,
Find me the way to transfer old negatives to prints and I betcha there are some of Kelbos in my Eli/Ely stash.

pm or email me.....

K

Ben - scan the negatives and then invert the colors with Photoshop or simpler image software and you're in business. Two clicks and you're done, but the scanning will take some time.

[ Edited by: Koolau 2007-10-12 22:43 ]

T

Sorry you didn't get the slide BigBro.

On 2007-01-18 17:49, bigbrotiki wrote:
I would be even happier if the lab would have not screwed up my ONE roll of slide film I took at Kelbo's, underexposing it badly. Here are some somewhat usable shots:

The so called "Conversation window" in silhouette:

Part of the Beachcomber lamp ceiling with the light box cocktail menu in the background:

Well, I didn't have much else to work with, but I used Picasa to lighten them up just a bit:

Chris

The pics on this thread are "F"ing amazing!, I have been waiting for these for years!. My little piece of heaven...

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-11-06 06:34 ]

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-11-06 20:16 ]

Just a little detail about Kelbos I remember from when I was a kid. They had plastic marijuana leaves plastered on a few opaque white globe lights hidden in the ceiling decorations. The previously posted photo of the ceiling and menu board shows one of those lights in the upper left corner. My parents thought it was decadent, but of course my brother and I thought it was incredibly cool.

On another note: With all the TCers in L.A., why doesn't somebody put together a nonprofit to buy Kelbos from the scum balls that have the place now? What an incredible modern archaeological project it would be to turn it back into a Tiki palace. If Forbidden Island can do it from scratch and be successful, in Alameda of all places, why couldn't it be done in West L.A.? Come on, there's got to be grant money out there to rescue old bars. :)

Rev BambooBen, I am probably too late but what you can use for turning negs into prints is a transparency scanner. I just did 3000 slides into prints. My cheapo epson scanner has an attatchement for negatives and slides So, for all you people out there that have negatives or slides you can spend about 100 bucks. It only does about 1 strip of 5 negatives at a time, so yes it is very time consuming but well worth it. Put all my old pics onto discs.

"when I win the lottery".....i'm gunna buy Kelbo's and partner up with the mike and Mike and call it "tiki-ti west"!.Now we just have to scare those russian mafia guys into selling it...

Okay, 2WT, I'll bring the Kalashnikovs and the hand grenades, you bring the cash...

That outta scare those Russian Mafia guys into selling. Especially if we show up for negotiations tatooed Maori-style!

Tell ya what, if either of us win the Lottery, let's still rescue the joint. While she still stands, there's hope yet...!

Mele Kalikimaka, and there's always hope in the New Year...

Anyone know how to set up a no-profit? Maybe part of the building could be set up as a museum with the rest being (ah-hum) the 'museum cafe'. I'd certainly make a nice donation to the Mid Century Museum of Polinesian Pop, Art and Culture. Lectures, symposiums, art exhibits, performance shows. A serious acknowledgment of Tiki culture.

Seriously, I've seen more obscure endeavors:

http://www.hem-usa.org/

http://www.wyandotpopcornmus.com/

http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/MA3127/

M

The Bum unearthed the brochure mentioned earlier in this thread and here's some bee-yootiful hi-res scans for you all. I never realized that the big-tooth grinning tiki and the Bumatay tiki inside the palm tree that both became mugs at the Islander were real tikis and at Kelbo's. Maybe everyone knew this already. Anyway, enjoy:

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Rotated photos. - 2011-02-19 21:42 ]

I have been looking for the color version of this brochure for years, and where did one urban archaeologist (the bum in this case) have to go to find it? All the way to Ashville, North Carolina! And what a satisfying piece of Tikiana it is! Some of the best interior photos ever, AND the conversation window in all its glory!

On 2008-02-03 08:48, martiki wrote:
.... I never realized that the big-tooth grinning tiki and the Bumatay tiki inside the palm tree that both became mugs at the Islander were real tikis and at Kelbo's. Maybe everyone knew this already....

Maybe some knew, because it is shown in the BOT - but easy to overlook:

If I would have had this brochure then, I certainly would have used the better examples depicted in it, for both of these pages.
Here is a close up of Bumatay Tikis at the Sea & Jungle store:

Actually, the full shot of this postcard shows a similar long nose Moai than the one on the cover of the brochure leaning by the sign, so it seems likely that this is where Tom and Jack got their Tikis from (BOT p. 234).

I am currently working on a Bumatay Tiki post, coming to these pages soon. :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-03 10:09 ]

Well, funny thing is, back in the day, I remember going there, as a kid, my uncle Arturo was the main bartender at the Pico location and my Uncle Leo was the lead cook at the Fairfax location, sorry to say, both have passed on, however my family does enjoy the rib marinate, and you are correct Molasses-Brown Sugar are some of the main staples in the recipe.

As for the drink menu on the tables, my Uncle Arturo is the one who photographed those for the restuarant.

Good memories, sorry to see that the place is no longer there.

On 2006-01-30 19:44, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2006-01-30 18:55, Let's Luau!! wrote:
KelboKid

Man, that sounds REALLY good. I wish that kind of "Polynesian" food was still around. The ribs at Bahooka are ok, but these sound really amazing.

Bamboo Ben...try to finagle the recipe from that Susan person :wink: BTW....I still have the bamboo framed hawaiian-shirt-glued-onto-a board-and-shellacked wall art picture I bought from you a few years ago...

Great stuff !

Howdy all, I have been away for a while, after seeing the color Kelbos pics, my tiki batteries are recharged!!.

Pages: 1 2 49 replies