Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Unusual Kahiki ashtray.. and more from J.J. Hite (2-26-07)

Pages: 1 11 replies

K

Found this on my rounds the other day. You'd think one of us from Columbus would have seen one before, but alas, none of us can place it.

It appears to be plaster cast from a clay original. Makers mark "Hitiki".

There are more pics of it here:

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1&page=2

Anyway... if ya have some info on this piece, or if you happen to have one yourself, let me know.

Mahalo,

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2005-11-11 13:47 ]

[ Edited by: kukuahu 2006-04-28 09:58 ]

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2007-02-26 20:02 ]

K

Case closed!

The mystery origin of the ashtray and its maker was resolved thoroughly over on the FOM thanks to Fellow Moai Trader Jeff. Thanks for having a look though.

Ahu

K

Alright, I'll pull this one back out of the depths.

This was found at a local junk shop here in Kahikitown. I actually passed right by it at first without even stopping to examine it. I'm usually good about that sort of thing, but it had a distinct "made for my dad in 3rd grade" look to it.

Anyway, I went back to check it out after all, and...

Here's a quote from Fellow Moai Trader Jeff regarding it's origin:

"Hitiki items were the earliest handmade collectibles made available by the Kahiki restaurant. Besides the ashtray there were also small Moai heads (I'll post a pic) that he made as well. I am not sure what else was available. The makers of these artifacts was a man named J.J. Hite. Hence the HiTiki name. Mr. Hite also made the beautiful female tiki that was built into the desk of Lee Henry upstairs in the Kahiki offices."

I proposed that Mr. Hite was also likely the maker of the tiki head fixtures in the restrooms, but this has been so far unproven.

It also came to light that 2 other Fellows have similar ashtrays. One belongs to tiki carver Jim "Chisel Slinger" Robinson, and it says "Tahiki". I have seen it in person and it is certainly a Hitiki work.

The other belongs to artist Hoffa. His is smaller and has the same figures at each end, but I believe he said it was unmarked. I have not seen it though.

I'll try to get pics of both of those two put up in the FOM Gallery as well for any interested folks.

I did get a number of swell offers for this item aftre posting it here, but I cannot part with it. We are all still mourning the loss of the Kahiki here in Columbus, and anything from there as rare as this is staying right here for us to enjoy.

So there ya go.

Ahu

Good one, I had missed that post! Never saw that toad Tiki ashtray before, or the little Moais mentioned by Jeff. I photographed that Tiki statue in Lee Henry's desk, and it's little engraved brass plate inscribed "HITIKI by J.J. Hite", it's on the 2nd Kahiki page in the BOT. A fine example of Tiki Modern, lucky Jeffy snagged it at the auction, what a prize.

Other than the (original ones in the B&W photo) restroom faucet Tikis, I believe Mr. Hite also did that basement lava wall Moai, and assorted Moai that stood in the Kahiki gardens outside.

MH

ALoha

Brother Cleve gave Mr. Ho (that's me!) a video of the salvaging of the Kahiki restaurant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MpgQKKpKc

Mesg:

"The Kahiki Super Club was one of the greatest Polynesian Restaurants in the world. Located in Columbus, OH, the Kahiki opened in 1961 and remained in business until August, 2000, when it was demolished to become a Walgreens. Because what the world really needs is another Walgreens,

I shot the salvage operation, including this footage of the Moai fireplace, the centerpiece of the Kahiki, being yanked from it's home through a hole in the roof.

The music is Robert Drasnin's "Voodoo," from the record/cd of the same name.

Visit http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com for more Kahiki information and photos from the demolition."

K

More from Mr. J.J. Hite:

Two masks, both marked "Hitiki ® Sealock". Each is about 16" long and 9" wide.

Plaster cast with a wood grained finish. Quite heavy, and in great shape. No idea where the Sealock name came from, as it does not appear on any other J.J. Hite item I have seen so far. A total shock to find masks by this maker. I do not recall ever having seen these at the Kahiki. Found in a junk shop amidst some vintage toys.

I cannot identify the one masks influence, but obviously the other is a moai kavakava. Very cool to find a Rapa Nui inspired piece like this. If anyone knows what the unidentified mask is with regard to the polynesian origin that inspired it, I'd be very appreciative.

Ahu

Ahu, you will find the original mask in this Kon-Id mug thread below, under the "Picasso Mug":

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14265&forum=12&0

It's a Kifwebe mask from Zaire: "...made in the bush far from outside eyes, they are consecrated during a secret ceremony in which the spirit takes possession of the new masks..."

They always were one of my favorite examples of the primitive modern convergence.
Congrats to the great finds, very cool!

(Note to the mug-obsessed: Do not derail this thread- The above link is an old thread, the sale is over, inquiries will be ignored, any Kon-Id mugs I might have left will go on e-bay.)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-26 20:52 ]

K

Thank you Sven.

That was exactly what I was looking for. A quick search of "kifwebe mask zaire" on Google image turns up some very unique masks.. the square protruding lips seem to be a common element, and the eyes are unmistakable.

Now if I can find someone who has seen these elsewhere or perhaps owns a set. I'd very much like to find out if they were made for a restaurant, or if they were art made as part of a home furnishings line. Mass produced or just a few made.

At any rate, very unique pieces.. a moai kavakava mask is something I have never seen, and now the kifwebe is identified. These are the type of find that really makes the hunt worth it. And of course any items that require a little research are all the more rewarding.

They will get a prominent and well lit spot in my bar.

Thanks again for the info.

Ahu

S

I came a cross a giant version of this African mask yesterday in an antique store here in TN. Looked like this:

But, instead of maybe 17 inches tall, it was about 4 feet tall. Very cool.

i know where one is in asheville for something over 130 usd. It's about 3 ft. I wish i had over 130, but i don't and it does look cool. maybe i'll drive by and get a photo to post later.

Got the picture, 140 usd is the cost, it's about 4 foot tall.

Looks like the neighbor came over for tea... :)

Pages: 1 11 replies