Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine #3

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

Just sittin' here on a beautiful sunny San Diego afternoon sippin' a cocktail & watchin' The Big Lebowski when along comes my mailman with my new issue of Tiki Magazine. It just doesn't get any better than that! The latest issue does NOT disappoint. If anything it's getting better. TiKiBoNg & Madam Bong's hut is incredibly cool. Don Tiki & Don the Beachcomber get good coverage. If you subscribe, be happy it's comin'. If you don't, get yer ass down to the newsstand and pick one up.

H

If not, start subscribing you will love it like we do.

Glad you guys posted this message. I keep forgetting to sign up for this magazine. I am a much newer Tiki aficionado than most of you guys and need to soak up all I can to get up to speed. I have heard nothing but great things about this mag; I am signing up today!!

Sweeeeeeeeet....I can't wait...

Those first two,I have to say, were fantastic. I enjoyed them thoroughly..

Another Nice Job, Nick and Jon Paul and crew!

Great cover art Doug!

Bongs pad looks even better than I remember.

The higher quality paper is a real nice touch.

Its clear that when you all do something, you do it RIGHT!

R

Just got my copy of Tiki Mag #3. What an awesome issue.

But, Jeez! After Hanford successfully booted Bong off Tiki Central, I open my new issue and I see Bong all over the damn place. He's the centerfold for Christ's sake!

I mean, why is he still into Tiki and play in a Hawaiian music band? Doesn't he know that he is banned from Tiki Central?

Hanford, can you please do something to get all of his tiki stuff taken away? Only people on Tiki Central should be allowed to have so many quality tiki items. When will Bong learn?

(at least he thanked Hanford...)

Ooh! I'm gonna call in sick to work so that I can hang out by the mail box while I wait for Tiki Magazine #3!

There are only two magazines I subscribe to I genuinely look forward to. Tiki Magazine is one of them!

H

Would be interesting to know what the other magazine is!!

T

Juxtapoz art mag, is the other one for me. I buy back issues just to sovle some of this problem. Tiki is a part of this mag.

Just got mine today....WOW! Very slick! (or should I say..zazz!)

M

Mine showed up on Saturday. Once again, an excellent job!

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've written here. I just got my new Tiki Mag in the mail too. I can't believe how much better this thing looks everytime I get a new copy (even though it's always looked better than most fanzines). The interviews with Danny and the guys from OA were amazing. I love Duke's and Cherry's features in every issue, too. There's still a bunch of stuff in the new issue that I haven't even gotten to yet.

Anyway, I came across the great picture of my band, 'The Smokin' Menehunes' on page 15. I wanted to let everyone who knows our band, and all of my friends here on TC, that I have left the Menehunes. Biff's Mahalloween party was my last show with the band, and the last time I've seen any of the other band members. I never had any intention of ever leaving the band, but I was forced to leave due to 'personality issues' with one of the guys.

We were just hitting our stride too, sounding better than ever. We had just finished recording the CD, so the next time I see any of you, I'll be sure to have a burned copy of it for you. I'm afraid that I don't think it will end up being pressed. I just re-did the vocals and I'm super stoked on how the CD sounds now.

I don't know if Kevin and Miguel are planning on going on with the band, or what direction they will be taking it (For sure it will sound different then how it sounded with my playing, guitars, and influence). For now, I'd like to leave it at that. Thanks to everyone who have supported us at all the shows. It was a real fun time playing for you, especially the last several shows, including the AstuART gallery and the House of Tiki anniversary party.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, I just thought that, as a founding member of the Menehunes, the TC family would want to hear about this. I'm looking forward to the next issue of Tiki Magazine. Keep up the good work, guys. Mahalo.

Got mine today, wow, it just keeps getting better and better.

While I always appreciated Spike (Lucky design's) talent and style, I am dismayed he has seen fit to go public with his reasons for leaving our band. While it is true there were personality issues (as there are in most bands)I had not intended to go public on this or any other forum with the reasons for Spike's leaving us. I believe it is unproffesional to do so. Spike did bring a unique style to this band, but it was a Rockabilly style which Kevin (Tiki Bong) and I have decided not to continue with. Rather, Spike has already been replaced by our new guitarist, Lynn Kalima who is a welcome addition to our band. Lynn has been playing on the Big Island for many years now, and has recently moved to SoCal. At the same time, we are currently looking for one aditional guitarist as well.

Kevin and I believe strongly in the Smokin Menehunes, and will continue to strive to make this band one of the best traditional hapo-haole style Hawaiian bands out there. In fact, we believe our sound is better then ever, as we have gone back to the original concept. For the record, Spike was asked to stay with us, and decided to go his own way. I tried my best to convince him otherwise, but to no avail.

We are pressing the new CD with new cover art even as I am writing this, and it will be available soon through our coming website. As it were, our new guitarist is a web designer so we will have it up and running very soon. Our band is committed to continuing, and although Spike's leaving was a regretable loss, it is not, I repeat, not the end of this band. I wish Spike continued success as the leader of his own Rockabilly/surf band, and I know he will be happier in the long run. His new band was at our last gig, waiting in the wings, so I know they are happy as well.

My reasons for posting this are simple: Our band does not need anyone thinking we are out of business. We are still here, stronger then ever, and waiting for you to hire us for your next Luau, office party, bat mitzvah, wedding or pre-trial hearing.

hiltiki wrote:
Would be interesting to know what the other magazine is!!

Modern Drunkard Magazine.

IZ

Scott,

Bring em along to Mancini's ... be interested to take a peak...

I, Z

Nick, just got the new issue from Naomi. Wow! Congrats!
Going full color (well almost) and switching to the glossy paper make for a huge improvement!

Now the images have the eye candy quality that Tiki culture stands for. I love the photo of King Kuku and band in front of the Egyptian mural. And that shot of the "Don Tiki dancers at home", I always dug that, that should become a centerfold!
And finally one can see all the detail in the collections, I feel like having been to Bong's garage now (which by now I SHOULD have anyway, I know).

And the lay out has improved hugely, no more mix ups as to what is an ad and what is an article.

Again, congrats to this further step to achieving your vision. Keep up the good work!

I can't wait to see it!! How does my Don Tiki article look?

T

The tiki mag is a nicely done publication, but it's not cool of the publishers to simply pull photos from Tiki Central for use in their publication without giving any credit. I was looking through an issue yesterday and was surprised to find 2 pics I had shot during the NorCal Tiki Crawl printed in it. I have no problem with someone using my pics for such purposes for free, but it's just lazy to not at least make a minimal effort to credit the owner of those pics. Since they were obviously taken from TC, it would be very easy to track down the owners through their (my) profile.

I realize tiki is a pretty small sub-culture in the grand scheme of things, and I certainly don't expect to get rich or become suddenly famed for my photography, but it's just not good mana to use them without permission and offer no credit when it's so easy to do so.

N

Thank you for the kind words regarding Tiki Magazine, issue 3. We're very happy with the issue. Doug Horne did an outstanding cover!! If you haven't seen his art, its a must! Subscribers, my data base was given to the mailinghouse as soon as the magazines were printed. If you haven't received your magazine, please be patient.

Thanks,

Nick

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2005-11-22 17:27 ]

Tiki-Bot's words may be harsh, but he's right. His photos should not have been used without credit. If it was just an oversight, Nick should apologize. If Nick thinks its OK to use other people's work as long as it's "promoting" something, he can get into a lot of trouble. I'm sure he wouldn't be happy if another magazine re-published some of Tiki Magazine's articles without payment or credit.

I can't speak for Tiki-Bot, but my husband Krustiki has spent thousands of dollars on camera equipment, and spends hours taking photos and then editting and posting them. He probably puts alomst as much creative effort into his photos as some of the carvers and artists in this forum. Many Tiki Central photographers will post pictures for the free enjoyment of our friends, but if they are good enough to be published in a for-profit venture, they deserves a photo credit.

Another great issue! Keep 'em coming!

Bummer! I'm trying to be patient, but I haven't received the latest issue of TikiMag yet!

I second Scott McGerik. Modern Drunkard is the other mag that is most highly anticipated at our house. But then...we both live in Minnesota - there isn't much else to do here but drink and read about drinking.

(Modern Drunkard, btw, can be found free at some local drinking establishments now.)

Nick - Welcome to the thankless world of publishing! I notice you're already getting the 'where's my magazine?' posts! And you've insulted Tiki-Bot in a post regarding your product, I guess this means you've officially arrived. Seriously, it's a great magazine, but Bot is right. I mean, you pulled the pictures off a thread where all the photos are posted by the person who took them. I don't mean to question your publishing experience, but reprinting photos without permission or without giving credit is a giant no-no. Calling someone gutless for not contacting you directly to complain about it, is sort of ironic, eh? You didn't bother to track us down and ask if it was ok to use our pictures, but we're supposed to track you down to ask you why you didn't ask us if you could publish our photos in a magazine you make money from? Excuse us for our indignation! I think perhaps instead of slinging mud at someone you've wronged, even ever so slightly, you might just say, "I'm terribly sorry, I was rushing to get the magazine to the printer, I'll print credits next issue, send me your address, I'll send you a free copy!" and everyone would have thought, "that Nick is a swell guy, he can swipe our pictures any old time." Instead you've started 'ONE OF THOSE THREADS' where everyone is bickering over whether Tiki-Bot is rude, TikiMagazine steals from TC users, blah blahh blah, instead of talking about how nice your magazine is.

BTW - Nick, please see this thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16160&forum=9&14 to find out how far "we're really busy with our lives, and this is why we make mistakes with our tiki magazine" will get you with this crowd!

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple 2005-11-22 09:05 ]

Nick - I love Tiki Magazine as well - but Tiki-bot is correct. You gotta ask before using someone's photos! That long promised article I'm doing for you - well, I'm making sure I have permission from all the owners of the various photos before I include them in the article... I'm just sayin'!

T

" I think that's extremely gutless to blast me as lazy on TC without contacting me first. I did not know those were your pics and had I known I would have given you credit" -Nick

No one questioned your 80 hours of work a week but you missed that one extra five minutes to track down the owner of what is probably a good photo. He didn't contract you first, well you didn't contact him first, in the first place.
You didn't know who's photos those were. You did know, those weren't your photos and that they were someones. I hope that you use something of mine one day and I won't need money just a name under it.

I know that when the first guy reports that the mag. has reached his house that I still have a week or more to go until I see it. Its kind of neat to hear it coming a week before you see it. I feel like Superman.

V

Anyway, great job on this issue, and once again, thank you Beachbum for your really good article. I loved it.

N

Before this gets too out of hand, when putting together issue 2, I spoke with one of the organizers of the event (SF Tiki Crawl) and wanted to include it in the Summer issue of the magazine. I know people are busy, but the info that was given to me was super close to deadline (like the day before we went to press). I was under the impression that the photos in question were okay to use. I would never just help myself to another person's work. My buttons were pressed when the word "lazy" was used concerning the magazine. I know how hard I've worked and this is my first time in the publication business. I try very hard to give credit concerning the magazine. The magazine is by no means a solo effort. I have some great people helping me. If the photos given to me did not have the permission of the photographer, I am sorry. I would be more than willing to give retroactive credit for issue 2, in issue 4. TC Ohana, if in the future, I make a mistake, please contact me directly ([email protected] or (858) 722-4599) and give me a chance to make amends before posting it to Tiki Central.

Respectfully,

Nick
Tiki Magazine

H

Nick you are a great guy I am sure this was a mistake and you will do a great job next time.

Dang, I've been hanging out by the mailbox day and night with no sign of Tiki Magazine #3! Luckily, I have back issues to read and plenty of rum to keep me warm. :D

I just got Issue #3 & all I can say is WOW!

Great layout, excellent photo reproduction, wonderful articles! A class act all around...
I will definitely resubscribe...

P

Ah, it looks like it has made it to the Los Angeles area. Of course, it has been at other places, like Tiki Ti and Lucky Tiki, for a while now. I think they could be walked up from San Diego faster than the subscriptions are arriving. This give a whole new meaning to "snail mail." Fortunately, the magazine has so far been worth the wait, but it's too bad that the subscribers are being penalized for having to wait so long for their subscription issues to arrive. It seems that there is more going on here than the usual postal inefficiency.

It seems that there is more going on here than the usual postal inefficiency.

From my experience, I have learned the Post Office is not all that concerned about delivering magazines in a timely manner. Or without somehow tearing the cover. Or to the correct address. sigh

Us East Coasters have it the worst. I'll get it just as issue 4 is coming out, just like I did with issue #2.

-g-

The magazine looks great. Congratulations to Nick and all involved for a job well done.

Just try living in Hawaii! Sometimes mail is fast....Bills are real quick! But anything you want, So Slow! I can feel how sorry you all feel for me, poor girl stuck in Hawaii!!!

I will be very happy when my issue arrives. I wrote an article about La Mariana, and hope you all like it. Every other article I've ever written was about environmental or travel subjects. So it was fun to write about some thing I love. And the long hours spent drinking Mai Tais there, to make sure the bartender had it right... Again, POOR ME!

I hope everyone gets their magazine soon! Here are some photos to cheer everyone up. First the sunset at Sunset Beach on Oahu:

And a lucky rainbow pointing to my house in Kaneohe:

[ Edited by: WenikiTiki 2005-11-23 12:41 ]

[ Edited by: WenikiTiki 2005-11-23 12:43 ]

Well worth the wait Nick! A big Mahalo to you and the crew for putting together what has become a very slick and entertainin' mag. It just keeps getting better.
Cheers!,

Chongolio

I just got it today as well.
Way to go Nick! Your mag can really recharge the Tiki battery.
Now I want to go out and buy some more Tiki shit. Wish I could, but family has to get a Christmas present. :)
I even broke out the Grog Log and made some new Tiki drinks to accompany the magazine with!
Were lucky for you and the other participant's efforts.

Nick,

Congrats on another great issue!!! It keeps getting better and better.

Erich

On 2005-11-30 18:37, Unga Bunga wrote:

Now I want to go out and buy some more Tiki shat.

Classic.

( unga- will let you know when the kona club is officialy going to open soon}

Back to Tiki Mag...

I didn't get # 4 yet??

N

Thanks for all the kind words guys. We're trying to improve every issue. Bamboo Ben don't get me in trouble, issue 4 doesn't come out till April. Issue 4, will feature a Crazy Al cover!

D

Yes Nick, there's some great stuff filling the pages of this issue. Mr. Longpiggi's my new favorite cartoon!
And it was really nice to see TikiBong's Hut. Was it just me or did I notice Bong more than once in this issue!
Hi Bong! :)
What about a tiki etiquette column from the fellas perspective?
We already have a tiki beauty (Cheri's column) but who's representing the the tiki beast point of view?
Could be Bong :wink: Oh well, it was just a thought :wink:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2005-12-01 17:36 ]

J

This may be a little off-topic but how bad-ass is Barris' Kargoyle ?! That pic included in the write-up of the tiki art show had be running to the internet to see more!

Here's reminder for those who didn't notice...

T

The photo in the mag looked even better. I don't remember seeing the graphic of the side. I think I like it better without.

L

The Kargoyle is rockin'! There is a great write up in Tiki Mag #3 on Doug Horne a local tiki artist here in AZ. He just did a stint at the Tempe Arts Festival. Great guy, super great Tiki art! Highly recommend checking his stuff out.

http://www.swampfirelounge.com

On 2005-11-22 19:34, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Dang, I've been hanging out by the mailbox day and night with no sign of Tiki Magazine #3! Luckily, I have back issues to read and plenty of rum to keep me warm. :D

Thank God! Tiki Magazine arrived today. I've been hanging out at the mailbox for two weeks and have read the back issues a dozen times over. Plus, I ran out of rum two days ago. It's been hellish! Especially the last two days. Thankfully, I can go to the liquor store now.

M

On 2005-11-14 15:30, Riptide wrote:

But, Jeez! After Hanford successfully booted Bong off Tiki Central, I open my new issue and I see Bong all over the damn place. He's the centerfold for Christ's sake!

I mean, why is he still into Tiki and play in a Hawaiian music band? Doesn't he know that he is banned from Tiki Central?

Hanford, can you please do something to get all of his tiki stuff taken away? Only people on Tiki Central should be allowed to have so many quality tiki items. When will Bong learn?

On 2005-11-14 15:30, Riptide wrote:

Are you serious? This is a joke, right? Let me ask that you're saying that "only people on Tiki Central should be allowed to have so many quality Tiki items" is an intended sentence. Please expose the joke to me - thanks!
Holden
Tiki Farm

Pages: 1 2 62 replies