Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's (in yer opinion) the superlative Scotch?

Pages: 1 44 replies

Any Why?

For example...I think Ardbeg 10 is about the best thing to drink there is, but it's pricey. An argument can be made that "Finlaggan" is tops (it's a brand name from Trader Joe's) which has a similar peatyness, but is about 1/4 the cost.

McCallan and Dalwhinnie seem to be the ones I offer to people most that they are gushy about.

Atomictonytiki sort of talked me into bringing Scapa to a Scotchtasting, and it was the item which was most clammored for of any malts there.

What is your opinion of this?

I don't know many scotches, but for Christmas last year my dad got a bottle of Highland Park single malt that was some of the best booze that has ever passed my lips. I think it's quite expensive, though.

T

I'm not a big fan of single malt Scotch. I prefer the more balanced flavor of blended scotch. Johnnie Walker Black label is my daily driver for scotch on the rocks or scotch and soda, but a Dewar's or Cutty Sark is fine for highballs as well.

Oban 14 year has always been on my short list. Very smokey.

Glenrothes 12 year (I think) is nice when you're looking for something a bit cleaner/crisper.

Any of the older Bowmore (17 yr and older) are wonderful. I've heard them described as salty or "briney" and I guess that is a fitting description. Very tasty.

It seems that (in Michigan at least) Glenlivet & Glenfiddich are paired up at most bars that feature a limited selection... as if the local distributor has a basic "must have" list. When faced with those options, always go with Glenlivet which is suprisingly good considering how common it is.

As for blended, I too reach for Johnnie Walker Black as my standard for mixing. in Rob Roy's mostly... and I did recently get to try Johnnie Walker Blue which was ok, but I was expecting more.

This last weekend I was at a silent auction and was given 3 drink tickets at the door. After I was teased by the great selection of malts behind the bar, I was informed that the tickets were for "well drinks" only. I had to pick between Kmart brand light rum and J&B. I picked the J&B and woke up the next morning feeling like death.

-Z

Lagavulin, a 16 year old malt distilled on Islay, is my favorite single malt whiskey - and one of my favorite drinks in general. It's got a distinctive, smokey flavor that'll really warm you up on a winter's night.

That said, some folks will tell you that drinking Lagavulin is similar to dragging your tongue along a peat bog. If Lagavulin's intense, peaty flavor is too much, you might give Talisker (distilled on Skye) or Laphroaig (Islay) a try. Both these are very good, not as peaty and less expensive than Lagavulin.

Just bottled this year is Lagavulin's "The Distillers Edition." It's double matured, which seems to make it go down more smoothly and leave more mellow aftertaste.

Cheers,
Chris

Lagavulin and Laphroaig are the best single-malt Islay scotches, as far as I'm concerned: they're meaty, peaty, big and bouncy.

Laphroaig is the more "difficult" of the two; drinking a couple of fingers is like being ritually strangled, set on fire, and tossed into a peat bog as a pagan sacrifice. I was first introduced to it when I lived in Germany 15 years ago, and polished off a fifth on Christmas Eve with a couple of friends.

Lagavulin is also mighty peaty, but has a refined taste that you wouldn't be afraid to bring home and meet your parents.

Laphroig is a great peat reek Islay malt for sure (Prince Charles agrees by warrant).
In fact all the Islay malts are nice drams. My favorite however is Ardbeg. It is supernacular and is an enigma.
Laphriog is 20 parts per million phenol, where as, Arbbeg is a whopping 60, but finishes quite delicate!

I'll tip you guys onto a little trade secret of the distillers..Mortlach. Considered by many Malt Maniacs to be the creme de la creme of single malts. Not available through distillery label, but by armchair bottling at fine bottle shops.

By the way, I just designed the ultimate Scotch dramming glass for Bottega del Vino in Verona, Italy. It is called the Johnson's Whisky Tot. If anybody wants one (or four) for Christmas let me know and I will get you wholesale.
Made by hand in lead free crystal.

I have incised the exact measure of "dram" and "gill" into this glass to the cl, which makes it unique. If you want to buy it at retail go to: http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com
Otherwise contact me.
A copy of the press release:
BOTTEGA DEL VINO® CRYSTAL STEMWARE RELEASES STUNNING NEW “WHISKY TOT” SINGLE MALT GLASS

Single Malt Whiskys Know No Finer Glass

CHICAGO (August 22, 2005) – Bottega del Vino® (222 N. Maplewood Ave.) is pleased to present its newest hand blown crystal offering, David Johnson’s Whisky Tot, Single Malt Glass, which will be released to retailers on September 30, 2005 (2005 introductory pricing is $19.98; 2006 pricing will increase to $24.98). Executed in Bottega del Vino’s proprietary lead-free crystal, the newly created Whisky Tot’s graceful curves add to the glass’s exquisite presentation and provide an ideal shape for the proper tasting of preferred single malt whiskeys.

Throughout Scotland’s history, a variety of whisky measurements were developed yet only a few remain steeped in Scottish tradition. Bottega del Vino® chose two measurement marks for their Whisky Tot to aid in serving: the famous “wee dram” of Scottish legend, which is equal to one ounce, and the more robust “gill,” traditionally equal to five ounces.

David Johnson, of Phoenix, Arizona, historiographer on Scotch whisky, aided in the design of this unique glass to insure fair measure to the connoisseur with historical panache.

Made with barium oxide instead of lead, the durability of Bottega del Vino® crystal is beyond compare. The stemware defies tradition by making repeated trips through high-power, restaurant-grade dishwashers and escaping without a scratch. Using barium oxide results in a glass that is lighter than lead crystal but gives comparable brilliance due to its high refractive index. Each of the line’s fourteen varieties of stemware and decanters are blown entirely by hand, by Italian countryside artisans who have mastered the age-old craft.

A complete description of the crystal collection as well as a comprehensive list of retailers is available at http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com or by calling (888) DEL-VINO. Bottega del Vino® stemware is also available in fine wine and tabletop stores.

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-11-16 12:57 ]

Ardbeg, Yeeesss.

I carried a Liter of it home from Ft William like a baby. (Only I wouldn't feed the Ardbeg to a dingo)

I was so pleased to have gotten it...I had read so much about it's muscle but soft finish.

I was furious to see it for sale about two weeks later when they started importing it.

I got some from a Gordon McPhail show once, it was 17yr and silky...however I must confess to likeing the more assertive younger Islays.

Ever try Ledaig? (from Mull?) It's very nice, but it's friend Tobermorey is to be avoided at ALL costs.

J&B is a great everyday whiskey

Slainte Kon-Hemsby:

Ever try the J&B Ultima...now that is a superlative Scotch with over 100 Single Malts in the blend.
Sadly, I have drained my last bottle last year, and it is hard to find.

L
Len posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2006 8:46 AM

HOLY SMOKES!!!
Rum Numb Davey's single malt glasses are BEYOND fantastic!!!

If you enjoy single malt whisky, do yourself a favour and
order a few of these glasses.
Your scotch has NEVER tasted better!

cheers!
Len

On 2005-11-16 12:52, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

By the way, I just designed the ultimate Scotch dramming glass for Bottega del Vino in Verona, Italy. It is called the Johnson's Whisky Tot. If anybody wants one (or four) for Christmas let me know and I will get you wholesale.
Made by hand in lead free crystal.

I have incised the exact measure of "dram" and "gill" into this glass to the cl, which makes it unique. If you want to buy it at retail go to: http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com
Otherwise contact me.
A copy of the press release:
BOTTEGA DEL VINO® CRYSTAL STEMWARE RELEASES STUNNING NEW “WHISKY TOT” SINGLE MALT GLASS

Single Malt Whiskys Know No Finer Glass

CHICAGO (August 22, 2005) – Bottega del Vino® (222 N. Maplewood Ave.) is pleased to present its newest hand blown crystal offering, David Johnson’s Whisky Tot, Single Malt Glass, which will be released to retailers on September 30, 2005 (2005 introductory pricing is $19.98; 2006 pricing will increase to $24.98). Executed in Bottega del Vino’s proprietary lead-free crystal, the newly created Whisky Tot’s graceful curves add to the glass’s exquisite presentation and provide an ideal shape for the proper tasting of preferred single malt whiskeys.

Throughout Scotland’s history, a variety of whisky measurements were developed yet only a few remain steeped in Scottish tradition. Bottega del Vino® chose two measurement marks for their Whisky Tot to aid in serving: the famous “wee dram” of Scottish legend, which is equal to one ounce, and the more robust “gill,” traditionally equal to five ounces.

David Johnson, of Phoenix, Arizona, historiographer on Scotch whisky, aided in the design of this unique glass to insure fair measure to the connoisseur with historical panache.

Made with barium oxide instead of lead, the durability of Bottega del Vino® crystal is beyond compare. The stemware defies tradition by making repeated trips through high-power, restaurant-grade dishwashers and escaping without a scratch. Using barium oxide results in a glass that is lighter than lead crystal but gives comparable brilliance due to its high refractive index. Each of the line’s fourteen varieties of stemware and decanters are blown entirely by hand, by Italian countryside artisans who have mastered the age-old craft.

A complete description of the crystal collection as well as a comprehensive list of retailers is available at http://www.bottegadelvinocrystal.com or by calling (888) DEL-VINO. Bottega del Vino® stemware is also available in fine wine and tabletop stores.

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-11-16 12:57 ]

Those glasses are nice...a pal gave me some very similar which I found out later cost over 70.00

something special in a vessel like that...like a portal which allows the Scotch Gods to be interpreted more clearly.

I just got some White Horse, which while it sounds like a Hawaii-5-0 term for heroin, is a nice Blend...I'd love a dram just this minute...but my f-ing fence blew down.

H

Someone gave me a bottle of Oban and a bottle of The Glenlivet and told me they were really good!!!

Hiltiki: Oban is very nice malt..I once played shinty in the wee hamlet of Oban..got me arse kicked by some hurling Gaels. Let's say it was like Field Hockey on steroids.

The Glenlivet is certainly fine single malt, as well..but not my cup o' tea.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:04 ]

On 2006-01-06 00:59, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
Let's say it was like Field Hockey on steroids.

Never play a field sport that is really training for wielding a claymore. The only game that the phrase "you'll have somebodies eye out" was invented

T

If you ever get the chance, take it with "Old Fettercairn" - A light Speyside single malt with a screw on top. It's fantastic. I had it in Scotland, and for a while I could order it online at parkavenueliquor.com . It's a well-kept secret. I forgot to mention the best one I've had overall - it would be Edradour, also hard to find.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-01-22 17:14 ]

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-01-22 17:20 ]

Q

For my money, it has to be Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood. It's a single malt aged in two diffent kinds of barrels, the last one a barrel that was used to age sherry. The stuff is REAL smooth and has a very distinctive honey-like aftertaste. Best of all Trader Joe's has started carrying it for about $39.

T

Balvenie is pretty good - but you should research the history of it. The marketers for Bacardi (who owns most of the scotch distilleries in Scotland), developed Balvenie specifically for the American palatte, and markets it only here! I'd be surprised if you can find Balvenie of any flavor in Scotland... It's not a "heritage" scotch.

That said, it IS a delicious scotch, with a very smooth finish.

I guess the cottage scotch industry has gone the same direction as the american micro-breweries (being bought out by large breweries, but still marketed as micro).

My brother-in-law brought a bottle of Dalwhinnie back from Scotland a few weeks ago. I finally tried it this week. It was wonderful.

P

On 2006-01-25 20:11, tikigap wrote:
Balvenie is pretty good - but you should research the history of it. The marketers for Bacardi (who owns most of the scotch distilleries in Scotland), developed Balvenie specifically for the American palatte, and markets it only here! I'd be surprised if you can find Balvenie of any flavor in Scotland... It's not a "heritage" scotch.

Not true. There may be a particular type that us only available here, but the Balvenie website points to distributors in Australia and France, plus the whiskey canbe bought directly from the distillery (although they will not ship outside of the UK).

This is what I want to find...

http://www.balvenie.com/shop/rumwood.html

I have had the portwood 21, the founder's reserve 10 and even the 30 and all are superb.

Tiki-Kate: Dalwhinnie is tops...really nice stuff that.
Of that type of Malt I think it (and maybe Glenrothes) are about the best there is. Not so challenging as some, and great before bed with a piece of toast and a bitter marmalade like Coopers, or Robertson's Scotchshred.

Maybe even a marmalade with a sour note like King Kelly would go with those...hmmm.

T

On 2005-11-13 17:38, Gigantalope wrote:
Any Why?

For example...I think Ardbeg 10 is about the best thing to drink there is, but it's pricey. An argument can be made that "Finlaggan" is tops (it's a brand name from Trader Joe's) which has a similar peatyness, but is about 1/4 the cost.

McCallan and Dalwhinnie seem to be the ones I offer to people most that they are gushy about.

Atomictonytiki sort of talked me into bringing Scapa to a Scotchtasting, and it was the item which was most clammored for of any malts there.

What is your opinion of this?

I really like McCallan's... it's wonderful. I'm a speyside guy. Highland is pretty good too. You can have the Islays.

I'll have to find the source of my (mis?) information about the Balvenie. It truly is good scotch - tastes great! less filling! But there is some marketing trickery going on there.

gap

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-02-02 22:03 ]

Wrong on so many counts. In fact, the only thing right in this post is that Balvenie is good whisky. OK, Balvenie was founded in 1892 and has been in continuous operation ever since (that enough "heritage" for you?) and is widely available and drunk here in Scotland - I'm a particular fan of the Doublewood if you can get hold of it, very smooth. Bacardi aren't anywhere near being the biggest distillers in Scotland, last time I checked that was Diageo (the guys who make Jonnie Walker) by a mile.

Personally, I prefer a whisky with a bit more depth to it. I recommend the Lagavulin 16yo, which is deep and smokey, with a smooth toffee-ish edge and a lingering finish. More esoteric choices would be Clynlish 14yo, smokey again, with a salty, maratime edge (one of my faves) or Old Pultney 12yo, from my family home of Wick, in the far north of Scotland, which is very smooth, with a hint of the sea on the finish - all much more interesting than your standard Speyside.

Finally, if you will insist on drinking your whisky with ice, it doesn't matter what you drink, you won't taste it anyway. Oh, and a bottle of blended scotch is handy to have around if you run out of anti-freeze in the winter (I can't think of anything else it's good for).

On 2006-01-25 20:11, tikigap wrote:

Oban is pretty damn good too --Laphroig is a friend of mines favorite but that stuff is WAY too peat mossy for me

Welcome to Tiki Central, boomshine!
It's great to see someone from across the pond - Scotland no less! - chime in on this discussion in particular.

Has anyone else tried Monkey Shoulder, Triple Malt.
I recieved a bottle yesterday,and it's very nice, it seems to be pushed as the whisky for Cocktail bartenders with many of our countrys finest Bartenders on the team.
To find out, why the strange name, watch the Video on the Website http://www.monkeyshoulder.com/
Hey AtomicTonyTiki, if you see this, they are also having a Tiki Monkey party this Tuesday in Edinburgh at the Dragonfly

P

Yes, I have had Monkey Shoulder and I think it is very good. It is a blend of three neighboring speyside distilleries. I remember two of them, but am not sure how to spell them so I won't try. Another excellent but leser known scotch from the same region is Mortlach. It too is among my personal favories.

I don't know how I've avoid it for so long, but I tried some Bruichladdich this weekend, and was quite impressed. I drove 50 miles to a store that had Ledaig from Mull, another nice malt, and they had this too in the shop...

It comes in a variety of incarnations (I chose "Moine Mohr" = Big Peat)...it bills itself as "The Refined Islay" and I must say, it was quite a treat.

Does anybody else have experiance with this Malt? Also I was curious if anybody else has habitually drank (on your own nickle) the Blue or Green Label (Johnny) I keep thinking I'll have some at a party or some place, but have yet to try either.

The Dragonfly? I had to look it up, its the done up "Firestation" an imfamous old underage drinking den and whorehouse.

I frankly don't have very high hopes on the "Tiki Monkey" night, Edinburgh has a bad tiki reputation the shudderfull "Waikiki Beach" (a super pub in the florida style) was a prime example.

Well whatever it turns out like, there are going to be some damn fine coctail Bartenders there so you'll get a good drink, i was going to go myself as i'm carving some tikis for it, but i can't.
I can probably get an invite for you if you want.

Truly one of the finst Scotches I have ever encountered is a 25 year old, cask strength, Royal Brachla. Whaaaaaa.

T.F.

I wholeheartedly support the Lagavulin camp but I've found one even better for about the same price. Caol Isla 18 year old. Heaven in a glass.

Speaking of glasses, I really need to get a hold of those glasses on pg. 1.

D

Since I'm a huge fan of smokiness, my favorite region is Islay. My favorite Islay is Laphroaig. However, the intense smokiness and peatiness of single-malts count against them when you're trying to make a Blood and Sand, so I use Cuttysark's for that.

Has anyone had Jura scotch? Or some of the American vattings? I've read a little about them, but never went looking for them.

T

Ok... I have a scotch question.. I bought a bottle of The Glenlivet 24 year scotch like 10 years ago, it hasn't been opened. Do I now have 34 yr old scotch or just an old bottle of 24 yr? I'm pretty sure I know the answer.. but am unsure. Thx in advance.

MM

Unfortunately, spirits don't age in the bottle--only in the barrel.

EDIT: 'Course it will change character over time in the bottle, but the age on the label is the barrel age and you can't add to that once it's been bottled.

[ Edited by: Mr. Moto 2010-12-11 20:39 ]

T

On 2010-12-11 20:35, Mr. Moto wrote:
Unfortunately, spirits don't age in the bottle--only in the barrel.

EDIT: 'Course it will change character over time in the bottle, but the age on the label is the barrel age and you can't add to that once it's been bottled.

[ Edited by: Mr. Moto 2010-12-11 20:39 ]

That's kinda what I suspected. It's been stored in a cool dark place, so it should be just fine. I remember it being quite a pricy bottle when I bought it.. haven't had a good reason to crack it open, maybe soon.

H

Lagavulin 16yr old malt distilled in Isly is my favorite of all times. I like the smokey flavor and the clean clear taste. I am hoping for Santa to bring a bottle for me. :) So far I am paying $21.00 per shot at Musso and Frank Grill, ouch!

I am a single malt Scotch Girl myself. I have always enjoyed, 18 year Glenlivet. But that was only until I recently tried Bruichladdich, described on their site as a sophisticated Islay Single Malt. It was given to us as a gift and when I went to replentish our supply I realized why it was so good. $150 a bottle, but so sweet and smooth with nice complex flavors. If you ever get the chance to try it or invest in a bottle you won't be disapointed. In my opinion by far the best one out there. Here is their site. http://www.bruichladdich.com/

In the "people who like this sort of thing..." category; Just tried Laphroig Quarter Cask, and I think it's my new favorite. Smokey as hell, and a lot of flavors going on. Z

J

As usual, I'm chiming in late.

I have several faves. For cigar duty, my absolute favorite is Aberlour 10 y.o. For mixing, Johnnie Walker Black. For sipping I'm torn between Macallan 25 y.o. and Balvenie Doublewood. For the "WHAAAAAAAT???" factor, you can't beat Costco's Single Malt. (It's a 19 y.o. Macallan for +/- $60/bot.)

Now you know.

H

For Christmas a friend gave me a bottle of Glenroths Reserve, has anyone tried this yet?

On 2011-12-29 22:09, hiltiki wrote:
For Christmas a friend gave me a bottle of Glenroths Reserve, has anyone tried this yet?

A long time ago. I remember really liking it though, but can't remember much else....

Pages: 1 44 replies