Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help a young guy save an old-timer

Pages: 1 7 replies

This old timer needs help
The Story is that He came from Hawaii in the early 70's. Was kept indoors for about 20 years, then placed on an outdoor patio in Florida.
But kept out of the Rain and the elements. He use to have a complete base that both him and the reservoir bowl sat on. The receiving bowl
Was cracked in half and un repairable. As well as the base that had rotted in nothing. I would like to try and rescue this one if possible.
He appears to be make of cedar but it doesn't have the smell of cedar. He looks as though be might be a brother to the on in the Book of Tiki
That I show in the picture. He was fitted to be a fountain/spitter and his tongue is still intact. Suggestions on reviving this one.
Should I amputate the lower body and replace w/ similar. Also does any experts think the time frame is possible. I saw the post by Keigs
that B. Kahuna bumped up, and his were also very similar. Witco? I don't know. Input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

the receiving box

the Book of tiki Pic

H

That's gotta be a Witco! I think I've seen that design before. He actually looks like he's in pretty good shape, I'd try to keep it as intact as possible. Someone more knowledgable will have to weigh in with the "how" part. :)

You have yourself a gen-ew-wine Witco Fountain of Fortune!

PCT,

Cool find.
Yes, it's a Witco.
Don't "amputate" it.
Clean him but don't cut him.
Keep'em dry.
It's got history.
It's got character.
It's got a story.
Respect it as is, just dust if off and let it age gracefully.

Just my two coconuts worth.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2005 4:06 PM

Wicked find...at least he found you...what better person to take care of him:0

I

I had a similar situation with the tiki poles that were formerly in the Honolulu Restaurant. Perhaps you may gain some insight from how I handled things here.

When I picked the tiki poles up, I discovered that the bottoms were rotted - a combination of ground moisture seeping up, and past termite damage (the owners told me the termite damage had happened long in the past, and the wood had since been treated, with no further termite damage.)

I decided to saw off the bottom 8 inches of the poles, mainly to provide a more solid base for it to sit on. Here are pictures of the two sawed off portions, and a cross-section of how the rest of the poles looked at that point.

Here is how the two poles looked, without those bottom 8 inch pieces.

There were two things I did not like about these shortened poles.

1. They no longer came close to reaching the ceiling
  2. The bottom figures looked wrong without their 'feet' sections no longer there. Both poles should consist of two equal sized tiki figures, as if one is standing on the head of the other. With the two figures being of different sizes, the scale was just whacked off balance.

I knew if I displayed them as is, I would always think that the poles were grimacing because I had amputated their feet.

My mission then, was to raise the two poles to their proper height. Fortunately, I had saved the two bottom 8 inch pieces. I chipped away the rotted portions of those sections, keeping the colored facade portion. On one of the sections, I chipped too much away, and that facade broke into several pieces.

I formed two molds, using tape and old LP covers, and simply poured a cement mix into the mold. I made the diameter small enough that the former facade pieces would still fit in front. My main concern was to provide a place for the main poles to sit on top. Afterwards, when the main poles was on top of the cemented segment, I think I inserted some small wedge pieces to properly align the two pole sections.

Here are pictures of the two poles as they exist today, raised to their proper heights. To keep the main pole sections vertical, I screwed large eye hooks into the wall studs, and used bungee cords to hold the poles to wall. I painted the cords to match the tiki colors, and I rarely notice them anymore. I found some tiki looking cloth to cover the space between the tiki and the wall, and to hide the eye hooks. Overall, I am pleased with the results.

If there is a moral to the above it is ...

1. Whatever you do, try to have the finished tiki be at the same height as you obtained it. It will likely look odd to you if it is shortened. Even if other people don't notice it, you will.

2. I probably should have tried to use some drilling tool to chip as much inside rot as I could, and then fill it in with cement or something solid (foam?) That might make the whole item too heavy, but in my case, the cement is only contained within the two bottom pieces.

3. It may take a bit of work, but the feeling of satisfaction of rescuing an older tiki item is very rewarding.

Good luck, and have fun with your restoration efforts!

Vern

Thanks for the replies . I had alread decided that if I cut off the rot then I would rebild the base to resemble the original. I also thought of hollowing and rilling it in ...but its in bad shape for about 12". There isn't much carving on the base so I could easily make the relacement look authentic. But I want to leave as much a possible. I don't plan on starting on him till after the first of the year.

Mahola.

Pages: 1 7 replies