Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

new trend?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Damn.
These mugs NEVER come up & I was curious to see where it ended.
It looks like another buyer was talked into ending the auction early by the lure of some cheezy big money offer.
Is this happening a little too often?
Doesnt seem very sporting to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=736591334&rd=1

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-11-19 10:05 ]

On 2002-11-19 10:02, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
It looks like another buyer was talked into ending the auction early by the lure of some cheezy big money offer.

Do you mean SELLER?
Yeah, I had no idea sellers could do that, I thought once the object is up on e-bay, one has to stick with the the way the auction goes, all the way to the end.. Kind of makes the whole thing pointless...

Isn't edge of texas (a real mug maniac from the frequency I have seen him on e-bay) part of this board? Or someone who knows him?

That mug is the brother to the one on page 178, a more elongated version, and I have only seen it once in my friend Dug's collection

Bigbro,

I've got the shorter version you're referring to.

Kelbo's was the second tiki bar I had been to after turning 21 in 1981, the first being Sam's where I had my first 'legal' drink.

I'm a seller myself, and when somebody e-mails me and asks if I'd be willing to end the auction early for a hefty price, I take this as a golden sign to keep the auction open as long as possible.

The fact that they're interested enough to make the offer shows me that the item is probably going to go for a lot more than the offer they're making. All I have to do is be patient and wait it out. I've never been proved wrong yet.

I don't really blame the potential buyer for asking - they're just being ultra-competitive. But I'm sure it would have been in the seller's best interest to wait it out. The price they would have received in the end for this Kelbos mug would have inevitably been higher than the quick cash they received from this eager buyer.

A slightly less tacky way to handle this situation would have been for the seller to add a Buy-it-Now price and let the potential buyer know. That way e-bay still makes it's fair commission.

Sabu

Yep, that was a typo, I meant seller.
I get requests to end my auctions pretty often.
I usually dont because it is usually a lowball/wholesale offer. Or they ask what price would coprrupt me.
If someone said "I'll give you $200 to end your item now", I might consider it.
It does seem a bit unfair to other bidders that actually play by the rules tho.
What a great mug tho!
I have the short version from The Islander, Stockton & I love it.
Is this one supposed to have a lid like the shorter version?

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-11-19 11:37 ]

S

I have had sellers pull an auctione early because they had a store and someone came in and bought the item. That's reasonable, but I still think once it's on Ebay, it should have been pulled.

T

That auction wasn't ended early - if it was, it would have said 'this auction was ended early' and no winner would have been posted.

Edge of Texas won fair n square as the high bidder - you CAN have 3 day auctions on Ebay, you know - you can choose 3, 5, 7 or 10 days.

Unless I'm missing something here, that's what happened.

S

Look again Tikifish...you're missing the fine print.

"The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price."

T

I feel for the 2nd place guy edged out over a $. I am sure this probably would've went for more. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what do I know?

T

Ah yes, I did miss that. Very odd indeed.
I didn't think Ebay allowed that. That's something new.

And something snakey!

sssssss

T

CC Rider also has this tall Kelbo's mug, he posted a pic of it to the Tiki Gallery. A rare one for sure.... I'm betting that edgeoftexas offered the seller close to $200 to end the auction.

T

I think Edge of Texas should de-lurk and tell us all about his evil plans to take over the planet, one tiki at a time!

We know you're out there. Show yourself. Use the force.

Howdy y'al!

R

REALLY, Fish! You said it!

That guys wrecking it for us honest Texans trying to scrap for any bit of tiki that washes up on our shores!

Pages: 1 13 replies