Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

advice please

Pages: 1 12 replies

I posted this in tiki finds but I really would like to have some advice on this mask.
I have been looking for a large mask to hang over the entrance of the passage to my bar/lounge.The passage is down 7 steps, and I wanted a mask that would be the watchful guardian over the place looking down upon all who enter. I've found plenty of small masks or very thin masks, but nothing big enough till now. I was really excited at first, mostly due to this masks size.
Now however I am wondering if this is an appropriate mask. What ever I hang here will set the tone, and although most people will never know the difference, I will know. Does this pass as tiki?
The mask appears to be hand carved as you can see very crude chop marks, and the eyes, (or whatever those holes are) are nowhere near symmetrical.I don't mind the crudeness of the piece.
Please post your opinions as why or why not this would be considered tiki. If it turns out to not be tiki, the mask may still have to suffice until I find something more appropriate, but at least I can say that to my arriving guests.
My dream mask would be a nice large KU. He's always been my fav. but so far $$$$$ prevents me from a purchase.
Thank-you,
melody

hi melody,

the concensus as shown in the following thread

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16404&forum=5

is that these types of masks are not of 'tiki' origin, but that does not mean that they are not present in classic tiki meccas such as hala kahiki.

hope this helps.

how large a space do you need to fill.. give me the dimensions I might have somthing for you... Willing to talk trades....
lemme know.. (mainly the flat surface area, and width)

Thanks Johnny$$$$ I saw this post but really wasn't sure if mine looked like the examples, but I do see the similarities now. Glad you showed that.I wonder if some person tried their hand at carving a copy of one of those? Mine is quite heavy and very hard wood of some sort, with no grain that I can see.
It's nice to know that masks such as this do hang, or hung in some very well respected places.
Rustbeltcat, as soon as I get home I will measure and get back to you. Thank-you!

You see things and say, Why? But I dream things that never were, and say, Why not!

[ Edited by: exotica59 2005-11-21 08:59 ]

K

I think your mask is just fine for a home tiki bar.

And I'm sure there are plenty of carvers here that might make you a Ku mask for a reasonable price if you were to ask them.

Ahu

KuKuAhu wrote:
I think your mask is just fine for a home tiki bar.

Heck yes! If you need to give that mask up for adoption, please consider me as I would pay loving attention to it. :wink:

H

I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not it is tiki, but rather if it fits what you want your bar to be. You're the only person who can make that call, and it sounds like you're not convinced it will "set the tone" that you want. There are ways to remedy that -- arrange it with other items that do set the tone you're looking for, or as you mention, keep looking for something that you feel fits better. But it's gotta be your call, because your own home bar is a reflection of you.

I've seen worse than that in real tiki bars. (kahiki comes to mind) but thats what it was. I have that same style, only painted up, in my home bar. you did fine, thats tiki babe.

Thanks for all the advice. I really am trying to do as good a job as possible on my bar. As I find better examples of tiki things I am sifting out the not so tiki to other parts of my house.
It's been a challenge I have enjoyed for a couple of years now. I learn something new everyday, some from my growing library and a lot from everyone here.
Thanks!

Made in Mexico, these masks are. Yup, look up Mexican dance masks folk art etc...

I think it's a great mask for a tiki bar!!

G

These may be common, but I like the masks here: http://www.earthboundtradingstore.com/images/products/woodhandcrafts/masksindex.htm

Bought a few of 'em for my bar at one of their stores when I was up in Little Rock visiting my folks. The prices and the quality are good. But I'm with Humuhumu... go with what works for YOU. When I'm buying these things, I'm only concerned with if I think it looks good and if it adds to the mood I'm trying to create.

Gator Rob, those Indonesian Surfer type tikis with hair are fun, I've seen alot of them around. Interesting note: Don't blieve any of the B.S. on the website you listed.

They are claiming that The Asmat made these hairy tikis, They dont !!! They list Irian Jaya as an island of Indonesia, this is almost correct. Irian Jaya is the Western half of the Island of New Guinea, which the Indonesian Government inherited from the Dutch, whilst the Eastern half received it's independence from Australia and became the nation of Papua New Guinea.
So Irian Jaya is not an island but a state. Geographically it's not part of the Indonesian islands and neither is it ethnically. The Asmat are a Melanesian tribe related to Aboriginal Australians and Solomon Islanders etc... The Indonesians are Austronesian descendants like the Polynesians.

This style of Commercial "tiki" is obviously derivative of the long haired tiki removed by the Bishop Museum from a Royal gravesite in a cave. It has no resemblance to Asmat art whatsoever and isclearly made in Bali or another populated austronesian island. The Asmat still carve very traditional masks and shields in their distinctive style.

The surf blond haired tikis are fun, just wanted to make sure people aren't deceived. Part of the fun of tiki is combining all the Oceanic cultures with a dash of Asian and Carribean and a south american shrunken head and some Zebra rugs thrown in for good measure. I'm all for this, but retailers shouldn't lie to their customers about their products!!

Aloha
Sneaky

G

Holy cow, I just thought they looked good. :)

You wouldn't happen to be a wikipedia editor would you? Seriously though, thanks for all the info!

Pages: 1 12 replies