Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Have You Seen A Glass Float Like This....

Pages: 1 9 replies

The person that had some of these (among lots of nautical stuff) said they were used to catch rain for drinking water. About 12" across but a little more squashed than the regular floats. This one should make it easy to light up!

T

On 2005-11-23 14:01, bongofury wrote:
said they were used to catch rain for drinking water.

err... if I were going to catch rain for drinking water, I'd make the hole on top as wide as possible. How much rain is this little hole going to catch, as opposed to something (for example) two feet wide... or funnel shaped...?

-TC islander engineering department

F
foamy posted on Thu, Nov 24, 2005 4:54 AM

Sailors would stretch sails for a large surface area and then weight one end or corner of the sail so that the rain water would run into a barrel. I suspect the jug was more or less a glass canteen that could be filled from the water barrel.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:28:20 ]

It's a wine bottle

I've got one. it's called an onion jug ( for its shape) I suspect they were corked and used to float nets.

Here's what I found with a little research:

These were also known as carboys and were used to hold a variety of liquids... rum, water, etc. A glass jug enclosed in a wooden crate shares the same term. The ones that look like glass floats were hung in ships, freeing up valuable floor/deck space. The rope netting was to protect from breakage as they swayed in rough sea.

B

Thanks to all for the info. Funny how you think you have an unusual find to then find out that it seems to be more common than you thought. TC and it's members are a great resource. I wish I could have checked here before I paid too much for it. Aloha

Pages: 1 9 replies