Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents “Welcome Home Sven 2!” at Tiki Taix XVIII on November 25th, 2005.

Pages: 1 5 replies

Friday November 25th, 2005 10PM No Cover

Sven Kirsten is back again! One year after our first “Welcome Home Sven” party, we will welcome him home again as the guest of honor. So come on down and buy him a drink and show him how much you care. Let’s celebrate his homecoming with some Tiki Time!

The Dumb Angel #4: All Summer Long Film Block returns with authors Dominic Priore and Brian Chidester bringing you four more ultra rare film clips, you won’t see these anywhere else! Starting with : 1. Aloha A Go Go – 1965 KHJ Ch.9 Fire Dancers with screaming teens?!? 2. Pacific Ocean Park – 1959 A wonderful travelogue of the Venice, Ca. amusement park in the late 50’s. 3. Duke Kahanamoku Travelogue – 1930’s What is believed to be the only footage of Duke surfing with a closer look at the legend himself. 4. The Astronauts Play Firewater in “Surf Party” – 1963 A special clip of the early sixties surf scene played by The Astronauts.

AND

Sven Kirsten is back from exile in deepest Bavaria, and for those interested, willing to share some strange images of Katholic paganism encountered on location. Join us in welcoming back Sven. Known for his classic “The Book Of Tiki” as well as being an accomplished Director of Photography, this is a rare opportunity to view images that will not likely be found in book or film.

ALSO

King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis play their song “Shakalolo” live and give the history behind the character Kanaka Ed from Waikiki. Who was this man and how did he find himself in this crazy predicament! The band will also play other songs from the Friki Tiki CD as well as comic classics and romantic ballads to boot.

PLUS

The Barcelona Tiki Bar Challenge Part 3 -- Try to choose which Tiki Bar reigns supreme in Barcelona by taking a video tour of all three bars. This month we’ll feature the wonderous Kahala Bar. Just walking distance from the other two Tiki bars, the Kahala is definitely worth a visit. It features the work of L.A.’s own Tiki Diablo and The Kahala Bar was kind enough to send Kahala Bar decals for the kids. Come to Tiki Taix and get a Kahala decal (but don’t let it sway your vote for Barcelona’s Best Tiki Bar) This short video peek inside will give you just a taste of what Barcelona has to offer.

AND

Trader Vic Chapter 6-- Vic himself once told the wildly dramatic tale of his heroic search for a real buffalo to cook for a visiting dignitary from a far away land. We don’t know if Trader Vic was aware of the fact, but his story has been recorded in its entirety. At Tiki Taix we will present Chapter 6 of this epic saga and give the audience a little insight into the storytelling talents of the one and only Trader Vic.

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

Oh my goodness, this is welcome news! We're going to be in town for a couple days to get my crapola; we've been planning on taking a break from packing dredgery for one night -- a night at Tiki Taix with Sven will fit the bill perfectly. Aaaaaah. Man, if only Tiki-Ti were open, too.

Krustiki and I plan to be there. See you tonight!

...and I will have SOME Tiki on view, from Munich, and a couple of preliminary layed out pages from my new book on Witco.

I just got back after being away for the holiday and I am sad to see that I missed - SHAKALOLO! I have requested that one more than a couple of times. I also would have loved to have seen the Pacific Ocean Park footage. Dang. Welcome back Sven and happy belated b-day, King!

Actually, you didn't miss Shakalolo. The POP stuff was really cool, though. Another fine show from the King.

Pages: 1 5 replies