Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Loki and Stump Grinder: 5-11-08 Koru style wall hanging

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies

L
Loki posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 6:12 AM

Well with the new image tool i have no excuses to put it off. Here is the other moai mask that was sent to VA to live.

I added a light kit on it so it can cast an erie glow. Sorry about the crappy pics but it looks much better in person.

Mahalo for looking.

Looks great. Lets see some that other stuff you've been working on.

B

Loki, the mask looks great, especiallt in the bigger pictures allowed with Hanfords new photo uploads..... Really nice finish on this guy, you must have sanded on him for a few dayz. Glad to see you posting again, don't stop with this one.!

WAY COOL!

A pair of those on either side of a door guarding the entrance..... Colored lightbulbs, yellow maybe, in the light kit..... A wahine with a Mai-Tai on the other side of the door......

You work on the masks, I will work on the Wahine with the Mai Tai :wink:

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 11, 2006 3:06 AM

I'm stoked to see some new work from you - that moai looks great, if somewhat scary. I'm a big fan of the "hollow eyes" look.

J

Sweet. I like the lighting effect. Glad to see you posting again.
JP

L
Loki posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 9:34 AM

Here is another mask getting close to being done. Been busy as usual so the carving time only comes in small spurts.

Still have lots to go, but he's getting there.

Looking good. I'm glad to see that your not too busy to carve. I like the way the "mouth" runs flush at the bottom. Keep 'em comin'.

T

lookin' good, loki!! you wouldn't guess it's all hollowed out on the back by looking at it from the front. it's looking great so far, keep the progress pics coming.

hey that looks REALLY nice. good stuff. like the nose on em

B

LOki, this Mask is really Nice, probably among your Best piecesss. Verrry Nice! I Likee!

HK

Looks great, Loki! And hey, don't worry about the coming in small spurts - it's pretty typical actually...

L
Loki posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 1:19 PM

Josh, i set that up just for you....just wait till tomorrow night..i'll be the guy heckling from the back of the room... :wink:

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 2:05 PM

That's a really crisp and clean piece of work Loki, I'm looking forward to seeing how you're going to finish this guy.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 4:10 PM

Been busy building a new bar and finishing some new masks. My father in law (Papa Bear) is visiting and has been helping us with the bar build. Stumpgrinder had knee surgery on monday so she got to be on the artistic side of this build out.

we wanted a clean design with a modern shape. The idea is to have the piece look like a nice piece of furniture and not a bar. It is on casters and will sit against a wall and has a tile top, almost like a butchers block. We also wanted a Maori theme to it. No disrespect to the Maori people intended with it being a bar. All the booze will be hidden in the inside and it will only be rolled out for bar use. I think we got close. Its all custom made from the design to the finishing touches.

The frame is made from 2x3's, and we used venered 1/2 plywood for the skin.

A Maori pakura pattern was drawn onto 1x3 pine boards by Stump Grinder and I carved the design into the wood. It was over 32 feet of custom carving. Very tedious but fullfilling. I actually carved it faster then Stump could draw it. I think she had the worse job. We were closed up for Hurricane Ernesto, so we had the time. She really started to get the hang of the pattern and i really got quick with the carving.

The artwork used were prints of Maori Chiefs we bought when we visited Rotorua, NZ. We wanted to use them in the house but just couldnt decide what to do with them. Then we got this idea. Stump Grinder cut the shapes and burned the edges to give it an aged look. They were glued on and then lightly stained the same Red Oak we used for the finish color. She applied the Poly with added stain to the prints and gave it a few heavy coats to seal them in well.

The bar in its new home with Slacks Ferrets Tiki's Playing Poker art. Thanks again Slacks, it looks so great on the wall.

The inside of the bar has a custome made lazy susan for all the syrups and smaller bottles to use the space more efficiently and we have plenty of storage space for glasses and bar accessories.

The photos dont really show the true color of anything. It looks so great in person.

Well thanks for looking and cheers.

More goodies coming in the next few days.

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 4:26 PM

Loki is represent'n !!! Dayumm! That mask, The bar! The details....Whoa! (and I saw the STI! Keep it down there please) Too fast for my wanna beast (stage III SC comin soon though.)

Awesome work Loki

Peace

Mahalo

McTiki

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 7:08 PM

hey, loki, here's that pic. weird, huh?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 7:34 PM

Loki,

Wow, I love the carved trim you put on there. Very nice! Who is that funky lookin' dude with the goate and the back brace? He looks kinda shady? It looks like Stumpgrinder came up with the magic touches for this one. A beautiful project all around. I bet it look awesome in the house. Is it down by the pool table or up in the main room? I love the whole idea of it. Very well done!

Tell Stumpgrinder to heal fast and feel better. I hope she is doing OK. It's time for you to run that race car across the state for a bone session.....and to pick up your hogfish gyotaku......

-Gman

That looks great. Can't wait to put it to task.

B

First, Say a Big HELLO to Pappa Bear, Nice to see him in your garage again! HappyHappyHappy.
The work you are doing on the Bar is really SWEET. I love how you did the border and with a Hand chisel even! Also I love the frame you found for the poker players too!
KEep up thr good work.

Nice bar! I'm with Aloha Station, Can't wait to put it to use. And, I see you already have the El Dorado out and waiting.......

L
Loki posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 6:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the nice comps on the bar...it was really fun to build.

A little update on the marq mask...since the burning thing seems to be taking off i thought i'd try my hand at it....he gets stained and finished this weekend.

thanks again for looking and more goodies soon.

H
Helz posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 8:34 AM

Loki!

Great work on the bar! I love the originality of the pictures and it looks great sitting in your place. And the mask...it's just great. I really like the style you've got going with the Marqs.

B

Boy, that burning really makes him POP, Can't wait to se this one done. Whats pappa Bear up to?

L
Loki posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 1:16 PM

Papa Bear is carving pendants like crazy...i'll post pics soon. Plus he's making custome shelves for the bar area as i type this. He's a machine and a wiz with a table saw. I never knew things could be done with one until i saw him going at it. Benz, he sends his greatings...

TD

loki man that looks insaine good. really like the burning on that one. very cool
good stuff

P
pdrake posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 2:38 PM

loki, did you hand draw all the pattern or transfer it over and over? if you did, what did you use?

the pattern on the moulding for the bar.

thanks

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-09-03 14:39 ]

B

Thanks Loki and Pappa Bear. I am Really Happy to hear PB carving thise Pendants. Maybe you guys should come up this Saturday and say hello. Sherry will be in Ohio and TikiGand Trish are coming down along with MaTiki to drop off a carving for Hukilau and generally shoot the poop and maybe who knowz.HappyHappyHappy

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 3:45 PM

The bar and the Marq both look great, I wish I had the space for some projects like that. Nice work Loki.

L
Loki posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 5:52 PM

pdrake...we made a template for the 'S' shape and hand drew the supporting lines. Tomorrow i'll try and get a picture of the templates we made and the process. The S Shape just continues but once you get the hang of the smaller lines its not to bad...the hardest part was centering the shapes so they would end up at the corners. It took time and lots of erasure.

Thanks Papio, we had to move a huge ugly piece to make it work, but it is much cleaner looking in the room now. i appreciate your comments, coming from a great talent like you and Benz it means more to me. Glad you approve.

We've got some more goodies coming in the next few days....stand by

L
Loki posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 6:13 AM

pdrake...this is the template we made for the edging work around the bar. We cut the shape into a stenceling paper, traced the shape so it would line up for the corners and added the other lines by hand. Tedious, but the stencel helped big time.

The marq mask is finished. The owner wanted an old aged look, so i think i got close.

Papa Bear has been busy with pendants.

It's been a busy few weeks in our garage...will add pics of the shelves when they are insalled later tonight.

Again thanks for looking.

B

Your last tiki turned out Really great Loki, the finish is Supurb. Enough to drool over!
The Pappa Bear pendants are Awesome too. He should really Not carve more than 1 or 2 Thousand!! He really has the knack.

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 8:32 AM

thanks loki. that mask looks great.

i think i might have a rubber stamp made. hmmmm, seems like most of the work is drawing the pattern on.

That mask came out great. So what's next on the work bench?

J

Lots of nice stuff going on there. Great bar with a couple new nicely done tikis, not to mention the pendants. Keep going at that pace and you will fill up your house in no time.

JP

Loki & Stump,

Tell PapaBear the blow fish is FANTASTIC. It makes me giggle.

See you soon... Andy

Kia ora Loki. Slowly getting around to check out all the great work going on... Great looking bar (scrolls look choice!), nicely stocked too! The prints are by a painter named Charles Goldie, gone down in history as the first great 'documenter' of how the Maori dressed/looked, though he has his detracters who say some of the compositions were a little 'posed' ie; sometimes he adjusted the way cloaks were worn (to show off border patterning) or loaded up the models with too much jewellery, etc. That said, there he has left a wonderful legacy, yes?

Love the Marq mask too. Didnt realise how big it was! The pyro work looks really good! Couldve stopped there & left the contrast of dark pattern on light coloured wood (the customer is always right tho!!)

Nice one! Tama

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 2:20 PM

On 2006-09-06 14:08, Tamapoutini wrote:
The prints are by a painter named Gottfried Lindauer, gone down in history as the first great 'documenter' of how the Maori dressed/looked...

Fixed! :)

Lindauer was an accomplished and meticulous draughtsman and his paintings present a faithful ethnological record. In depicting Maori garments, ornaments, and weapons, Lindauer has not been surpassed. His rendering of Maori features and moko (tattooing) are highly valued by ethnologists. He never permitted imagination to replace authenticity in recording the customs and the way of life of the Maori people of his day. As a result, his work lacks the romantic appeal of later artists, like C. F. Goldie or H. Linley Richardson, who searched out the fast-disappearing picturesque types, the relics of those “bygone” days already recorded by Lindauer.

*Thank goodness Mum is here to straighten us out, haha... Thanks Paipo' - Sorry Gottfried... (either way, looking good Loki!)
Tama The Terrible-at-remembering :)

M

That marq mask realy looks old, what kind of paint did you use, ore was it burned?

L
Loki posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 8:05 AM

I used ebony colored stain watered down, then lightly sanded. In the spots that were a bit to light i used a piece of charcoal and rubbed in the color. The entire aging process took a half hour. It is going to be kept inside so the elements will not kill him.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 5:51 PM

I've been very busy and carving has been slow, but here is the newest project i just finished. A Maori triple twist made from florida mahogany. Such a beautiful wood grain. The design was a devil to figure out and its not perfect by any stretch. It's just short of a foot long. I'm going to make a few more. This one is a gift and will be living in Germany as of tomorrow. So long triple twist.

H
Heath posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 6:16 PM

Absolutely gorgeous!

Although it does make me hungry for a donut.:wink:

B

Loki, that triple twist was really Sweet and Excellent, especially since it came from the heart. Very well done. Did you kike working with the Fla. Mahagoney? It is such special wood both in beauty and in carvability , I can see that this is a special piece.
How is your trip plan coming along, when are you leaving?

L
Loki posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 7:00 PM

thanks heath...it really is a cool design and like benz said they are made from the heart...only to be given, never bought for oneself.

Benz, we are leaving tomorrow and will be back next weekend.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 4:45 AM

Loki,

That twist is a real beauty! As Benz said, it truly looks to be carved with heart. Very nice job. Have a safe trip and PM me when you get back, I think you need to come over for a carving day and maybe a night trip to the sandrail pit.

-Gman

B

Have a great trip, hope all works out as hoped
Cheers all around!

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 2:25 PM

Lovely piece Loki! Now you just gotta work out how to do the cut-throughs! The twist has become assimilated into the repertoire of "Maori" design here, but is actually a very european piece that was inspired by flickering flames , according to its creator, who originally called it "flame form". You can read his story here (scroll down bit for the jade and his thoughts about the twist) - he is a very interesting and eccentric character who I have met a couple of times, and is an expert on the earliest years of contemporary jade carving in NZ.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-10-23 01:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies