Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Palama's goin' back to the woodshed

Pages: 1 13 replies

After several weeks of malingering, and after having carved a palm tiki this weekend that looks more like a Edvard Munch/Freudian nightmare, I have decided to take A-A up on his challenge to carve up a Kanaloa.

"How about Kanaloa? This is one unique Hawaiian tiki that I've not seen anyone carve here on TC. Check him out..."

Although I've done a search and found different carvings identified as Kanaloa...

I'm going with the design that Aaron posted. I'll be carving him in yellow pine. This will be a significant step up for me, and I'll be at a time disadvantage for the next 6 weeks, as i am in the middle of training for a half-marathon, the holidays are coming up and I can only carve on weekends, so i will need the ohana to keep me motivated to get this guy finished.

I will post progression photos as i carve, so I'll need lots of advice from all.

Sounds great. Can't wait to see the progress.

Good choice of Mentors.

Aaron always has superlative words to motivate, and his work is such that you feel guided by someone with excellent skills.

More important than his Skills is his taste for Marmalade which boarders on disturbing. (Robertson's Gold Shred is his brand)

The more you challenge yourself the better you will be, just do like he does and take your time, think before you cut and follow your plan.

Cheers to creating!

[ Edited by: Gigantalope 2005-11-29 07:01 ]

Thanks Matt and Gigantalope, i appreciate the encouragement.

hmmm.... i guess i need to be eat'n me some Marmalade!

L
Loki posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 9:26 AM

Cant wait to see what you turn out...good luck training too..i guess thats about 4.5 times around Lake Hollingsworth?...i used to run 5-10ks there years ago...

Thanks Loki... not sure how far it is around Hollingsworth, although i should know since our daughter attended Florida Southern College. a half-marathon is 13.1 miles. The one i'm running is the Disney half, which takes you from Epcot to and through the Magic Kingdom, then back to Epcot. should be fun.

Palama,

That pic was the oldest authentic Kanaloa relic that I could find on-line. I think it's a cool idea to go as far back as you can for source material, then try to add some unique styling as the polynesian pop carvers did back in the tiki heyday. I need to get a copy of that "Hawaiian Sculpture" book that everyone has been mentioning lately. I'm sure there's lots of good source material there.

I also saw a few variations on the Kanaloa theme in the small resin tikis that they sell in Hawaii gift shops. The main theme is the tall stylized headpiece. Just like with Lono there's lots of variations but all are recognizable as the deity that they are.

Your second pic looks like something between Kanaloa and Ku to me, but I'm no expert!

The third looks totally non Kanaloa-like.

Have fun with this. It will be cool to see Kanaloa make his entrance into TC. Take your time and share the progress. Now, if you'll excuse me I've got to go make some toast.

A-A

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2005 9:49 PM

Good luck Palama! We'll support you on the condition you regularly post updates. I dont want to hear about any half marathon - just tikis!

Cant wait to see pics dude.

I really like that design . Wonder what the back looks like? good luck and keep updated pics often.

A-A, i agree that we need to go as close to the original source as we can. i do see lots of variations even in some of the "original" carvings, so i guess the old-schoolers took the basic look and put their own interpretation on their carvings, which i most likely will be doing, probably more inadvertently than intentionally. :)

Rodeo, i was wondering the same thing about the back; i have a resin figure identical to the #2 photo that i posted, so i can use that as a guide for the back side of the body, but i'll have to use my imagination for the back of the headdress. if anyone has photos of Kanaloa's backside, or any imaginative ideas, please share!

Hewey, how about if you send me one of those original "Hewey's Tiki Lounge" t-shirts that you were talking about making, and i'll wear it during the half-marathon...? size Large please. :)

B

Good luck on the Marathon too, but like Hewey says "we want tikis". Can't wait to see the progress photos. Come on down one day and we can both chip it out.

Thanks Benz! i'd love to come on down, but i'm outta vacation time for this year, unless you could work in a saturday or sunday carving session. let me know; i also need to return your BoT.

Good luck carving and even better luck on the run. I plan on going through lake wales non my way to tampa probable on Saturday before x-mas. I still have your tiki. I figure it could be a x-mas type gift.

Thanks PalmCityTiki! give me a heads-up when you are ready to come over and i'll give you directions to my place. your moai are ready for you.

Pages: 1 13 replies