Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

J

Does anybody have a good drink recipe using Captain Morgan's Tattoo Rum? In case you haven't had it is a very sweet almost berry tasting spiced rum.

Thanks in advance!
JohnnyP

C

I can tell you what not to do with it, mix it with Coke®.

A bar near where I live was running a drink special on all tatto rum drinks. I normally like most spiced rum in Coke® (especially Trader Vics spiced rum). This stuff just does not taste good (mixed with cola).

Good luck finding something to mix it with.

[ Edited by: captnkirk 2005-12-07 15:44 ]

M

A friend of mine recommended Tattoo to me and I picked up a bottle. I have yet to crack it open, but it looks like it's dark (could just be the bottle). Is it considered a dark or medium rum?

I can't wait to see some recipes to use it with.

F

On 2005-12-07 15:43, captnkirk wrote:
I normally like most spiced rum in Coke® (especially Trader Vics spiced rum).
[ Edited by: captnkirk 2005-12-07 15:44 ]

I know this is a bit off topic since I don't know anything about Tattoo rum, but I do own a bottle of Trader Vic's spiced rum. I have never tried sucking on a sweaty year-old gym sock, but if I did I think that's what it would taste like. That stuff is awful! :(

H

Tattoo tastes very much like cough syrup. Thus, it's a natural for making a Flaming Moe, but probably not much else.

Or is that a Flaming Homer

some rums should never be mixed......they are meant for sipping or drinking straight( mainly, the real expensive rums). I suggest you stick to the less fruity flavored rums for mixing...after all, the whole point of tropical drinks was to disguise the taste of rum to make it more palettable to the general public, without compromising the alcohol content........if a rum already has a sweet flavor to it it needs no more....

M

I checked the Captain Morgan website and this was all the info they had:

Make your mark with Tattoo, the bold, spiced black rum from Captain Morgan. Great straight. Or add a shot of Tattoo into your favorite energy drink.

Then, they're (only) recommended recipe is:

Ink Drop
1.5oz. Tattoo (chilled)
3 oz Energy Drink
Serve straight.

Hmmmm. Not very Tiki at all. Seems we aren't the target market on this one.

On 2005-12-09 10:29, MachTiki wrote:

Then, they're (only) recommended recipe is:

Ink Drop
1.5oz. Tattoo (chilled)
3 oz Energy Drink
Serve straight.

Hmmmm. Not very Tiki at all. Seems we aren't the target market on this one.

Energy Drink + Tattoo. Isn't that how Belushi died?

I know that you're trying to make something from this rum and I applaud you for that. It took me years to find a good recipe for my years old bottle of Campari. But that recipe on the Capt Morgan site should be enough for you to just dump the bottle and make yourself a decent tiki drink. I suggest the Noa Noa which in contrast to what Tipsy says can be made with your finest. I prefer Lemon Hart Rhum Demerara.

Hey I don't want to seem like a tiki drink(ing) rum snob here but the Ink Drop 1.5oz. Tattoo (chilled) 3 oz + Energy Drink? Come on!

J

Thanks for the responses.
I did check the Captain Morgan website a couple months ago when I first bought and tried Tattoo. At that time they did not have any recipes listed. I guess it took a while to find something to mix with it. The Ink Drop does not sound all that good and I don't think I want to drink this straight, so it looks like I get to have a cool looking bottle on the shelf.
JP

Here's my hoitytoity opinion on said rums:

If you can find it on your neighborhood supermarket shelf, it is usually shite.
All except Myers and Mount Gay. But what else does one see there:

Bacardi, bacardi and BaCardi. Malibu and Malibu, and Captain Morgan. All FLAVORED rums are yuck, in my taste. That includes all these new designer rums, like Voodoo: It has a Tiki on it, but it ain't Tiki. A man's rum is a rum that is hard to find: Like Barbancourt, Lemonhart, or Dagger.

And by god, what was riding the Trader people when they chose the rums for their new labels. What a shame, what a shame. Here was a chance to undo the taste aberration crime that had been perpetrated by the Bacardi syndicate when it squelched all other brands, but no, they missed it. Palpable for profit. Sigh.

D

Jp Try it with cherry 7up or cherry coke. I like it in a 14oz. glass filled with ice to the top, 1.5 oz. of rum, add coke, enjoy. For a stronger drink, use 12oz. glass. Remember, different rums for different folks. Doc Tiki

M

AFTER THE STORM
1/2 ounce Stolichnaya Orange Vodka
1/2 ounce Myers Rum
1-1/2 ounces Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum
1-1/2 ounces pineapple juice

Mix ingredients together and serve in a tall hurricane glass. Garnish with orange slice and lime twist.

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-12-15 16:14 ]

J

Actually the drink "after the storm" posted my MachTiki wasn't too bad. Not my favorite but ok. It did taste a little like rum and Dr. Pepper though.

Anybody else try it? What did you think?

Thanks MachTiki.
JP

TD

HOITY TOITY?....... DEAD BANG!

I thought it taste like jeaguarmister(spelling). ???

Blech, this stuff is horrible. I'm a fan of rum in general, including those spiced and flavored. I'm a huge fan of Captain Morgan products, too, but this stuff is awful.

It literally tastes like black pepper mixed with some sweet but unflavored and syrupy rum. Even mixing it with strong flavors like cola did no good; the black pepper taste just screamed all the way down my throat and almost made me gag.

Honestly, mixing it with an energy drink won't help that much.

PK

Horse dung soup tastes better (and has more fiber) than this tripe. SAILOR JERRY is the best new spiced rum on the market. IMHO.

I have to agree with Primo Kimo. I have a big ol' gallon bottle of the Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum. It's great!

Okay, I am in the Retail Beverage biz and I just have to say that this stuff is another crack head line extension. I suspect that when the Gurus behind the Capt. Morgan brand began to fret over Sailor Jerry rum stealing their market share, they waved their magic cutlass and crapped out this product to appeal to the tattoo crowd. ( World renowned for their un quenchable thirst for spiced rum )Really who the hell knows. This kind of thinking prevails in the liquor industry. Just like when Cool Aid's answer to Aussie wine ( Yellow Tail ) took off and started this horrifying trend of cutie animal wines. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

T.F.

A friend of mine found a good use for this stuff. He made a soy sauce based chicken marinade and one of the ingredients was the tattoo rum! I gotta say it was very very good and the rum taste was a distinct influence on the flavor. So if you're stuck with a bottle,like I am, move it from the bar to the kitchen. I'll try and get the actual recipe to post later.

I buy Capt. Morgan for the logo. Arrrrrr!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-05-22 19:34 ]

The Mr likes it with coffee, Godiva Liqueur, cream and a little chocolate drizzle. Nothing like a wide awake drunk! He thinks it tastes more cola nut-ee than fruity. I think it tastes like cough syrup as well. Or WD-40. Or this horse liniment I used to use on my horses legs. It would occasionally get onto my face and I'd inadvertently taste it!
Of course I can't drink anything everyone else does due to sugar restrictions. Give me a plain ole diet tonic and tequila w/ a lime and I'm happy. Not very tiki, but I add a tiki swizzle stick.

I tried it and didn't like the way it tasted at all.I do have some friends that drink it with Mountain Dew of all things.

Over and out
Donny

M

I just got back from Maui, came across this site and thought I'd share a Tatto rum recipe! A restaurant over there has the best drink with Tattoo rum...called a Tattoo Tiki, it's a varation of a Mai Tai..It's big..probaby a 20 or 22oz drink, fill with ice, and:

1 oz. Parrot Bay
1 oz. Captains Spiced Rum
fill with equal parts pineapple and orange juice
float Tattoo Rum (1/2 oz.- 3/4 oz. ??)
Garnish with Pineapple slice and cherry

I haven't made this drink at home yet (can't find any Tattoo around!) but if my ol' bartending skills are up to speed.. that should be the right recipe! Enjoy

Now what part of that recipe makes it a Mai Tai variant? Is it the garnish?

S

On 2006-06-10 16:17, mauimama wrote:
I just got back from Maui, came across this site and thought I'd share a Tatto rum recipe! A restaurant over there has the best drink with Tattoo rum...called a Tattoo Tiki, it's a varation of a Mai Tai..It's big..probaby a 20 or 22oz drink, fill with ice, and:

1 oz. Parrot Bay
1 oz. Captains Spiced Rum
fill with equal parts pineapple and orange juice
float Tattoo Rum (1/2 oz.- 3/4 oz. ??)
Garnish with Pineapple slice and cherry

I haven't made this drink at home yet (can't find any Tattoo around!) but if my ol' bartending skills are up to speed.. that should be the right recipe! Enjoy

Hey! A recipe to feed two repulsive rum variants to guests with no discrimination in taste! You could make a batch of something good like a Test Pilot and a batch of these and anyone that sips on the Test Pilot and gags can have it taken away and be lead to the other "thing." Have this party outside, away from your precious tiki items that they will make fun of and break.

Sorry mauimama. We take our drinking very seriously here and your recipe is way off the mark. And calling it a Mai Tai is wrong. You order a Mai Tai at 99.9999% of bars and you get something like what you described. That is not a Mai Tai. And it's a real shame that people think it is. Sort of like what Party City calls "tiki" which is pretty awful and yet has become a major image of tiki to the public now. I refer mainly to the awful colorful tiki face things they sell.

Try a real Mai Tai and you'll see the difference.

Is any flavored rum a "repulsive variant"?

Not everyone has access to fine, aged rums. Although they represent everything bad about trendy, vacuous bars, the flavored rums still have their place.

S

On 2006-06-12 19:48, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:

Not everyone has access to fine, aged rums. Although they represent everything bad about trendy, vacuous bars, the flavored rums still have their place.

I say, why buy coconut rum when I already have rum and coconut cream? Why buy vanilla vodka? Orange gin? Etc... Flavored liqueurs I can understand. I have a good many, from coffee to creme de cassis. And I admit I used to really like Absolut Curant. But, in terms of mixing a cocktail, few are needed. One recipe in Berry's books calls for Coconut rum.

M

So then yes, it is like a Mai Tai..like a Mai Tai that is ordered in 99.9999% of all bars, which is where this was made.
Someone asked for a good recipe with Tattoo Rum... I thought this drink was pretty good and thought I would share. Sorry, if you don't like it...probably not for the "serious" fine-aged rum drinkers, but, for someone who might want the occaisional fun cocktail, this seemed to have worked.

[ Edited by: mauimama 2006-06-13 17:43 ]

On 2006-06-13 17:11, mauimama wrote:
... I thought this drink was pretty good and thought I would share....

Welcome to TC, Mauimama. As to your drink recipe... You like it and that is all that matters. Most good drinks are only good because of the memories that drink has. I had some of the nastiest Mai-Tai things on a dinner cruise in Honolulu, but, I remember them fondly and try and make the nasty things every year around the anniversary. Ah, to be in Honolulu on your honeymoon......

So, if you haven't figured this out yet, the Mai Tai is like a Holy Grail of drinks to most people here. Your comparison to the Mai-Tai caused many people, including me, to shout 'Are You Nuts?' We, the drinkers of TC, are always looking for the "Great Mai Tai" and are going from bar to bar to bar to find it. And, this is one of those quests where the journey is the goal, not the destination....

and

On 2006-06-12 19:48, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:

Yes. Well, to me at least. If you like them go for it! I have found many recipes that call for flavored liquors and most of them are quite tasty, or at the very least fun to mix (Try Bacardi Melon, Orange Juice and Champagne). But, when mixing 'Classic' recipes, they are evil. Orange Rum is not the same as adding Rum to Orange Juice or adding Cointreau or Curacao to Rum.

And, to get back on topic: I don't like Tattoo. I find it to be overly astringent on the tongue and the only spice I can taste is pepper. It smells OK, but I really don't like the taste. And this is the point where those of you who do like should be saying "Good! More for me!"

That is my two cents worth. And, I will say it again... drink what you like and like what you drink. We should all be drinking to be happy!

Tattoo Rum is horrible.

Sailor Jerry Rum is ruling the local world and heading for domination.

Real product, based on a real dude. High proof (92) with AMAZING TASTE.

This is going to be the real deal in no time at all.

ROCK STAR RUM!!!!

Also welcome to TC Mauimama . . . don't feel too bad. At my first foray into this forum I was sent directly to "Mai Tai Hell" where all those 'variants' dwell!

GH

I have to say that I am a die hard Captain Morgan (Spiced Rum) lover, and I was not disappointed with Tattoo! I got bored in the kitchen this weekend and came up with this-- simple, but sweet!
In a one cup glass, mix one shot of Tattoo and then fill the rest of the way with apple juice and a good margarita mixer. I like it best on ice. :D

EDIT: Sorry for digging up such an old thread! I actually had Googled mixed drinks for Tattoo rum, and this page came back. I couldn't help but respond. ;3

[ Edited by: SparkleDog 2007-04-22 16:53 ]

mix one shot of Tattoo
STRIKE ONE!

and then fill the rest of the way with apple juice
STRIKE TWO!

and a good margarita mixer
STRIKE THREE! YOU'RE OUT! Back to the Tiki Bench.

people here are ELITISTS...though often with good reason

No, the people here simply fight for keeping Tiki culture true, and fight against the watering down of it.(..as I put it, the "Jimmy Buffetization" of it). That's what this forum is about.
One reason why people began staying away from Tiki temples was that the art of mixology became forgotten, Bacardi cornered the market, dark rum was "out"...and what where once delicious taste sensations (the original recipe cocktails) deteriorated into syrupy sweet cool aid. So the temples fell into ruins.

To try to bring back a lost quality of life is not elitist for me, it's merely an attempt to survive.

B

I was never disappointed by making mixed drinks with super premium ingredients, instead of using middle of the road components- You know the old saying "garbage in garbage out."
Some might think it vulgar, or wasteful, but the truly decadent hedonist can overcome these objections and relish in the bliss of the "Patron Margarita" the "Potrero Rye Whiskey Sour" and the "Ron Zacapa Zombie".

After all you only live once.

I do get irritated with the Tiki snobs on the board. We should at least have a sub-board or a sticky that allows us to share recipes that takes advantage of products made for consumers.

I love true tiki, but I'm a college student. I don't have the money to go out and buy Pyrat, Grand Marnier, or 20 limes whenever I want.

There have to be others that agree with me.

Aaaah, the two lasts posts represent both ends of the spectrum here, but there is a middle road. Mixing on a budget is still no excuse to use bad stuff like Captain Morgan. Jeff Berry himself does not recommend using your most expensive stuff for mixing, but saving it for sipping. And there are great tips here on TC on how to find inexpensive but quality rums ...via MAIL ORDER. All it takes is a little more time and effort, or- a true love for the ancient craft of mixilogy.
There are tons of other cocktail mixing boards for generic stuff...come to think of it, most of them are probably haunted by some "elitists", too. :)

S

Yeah, what bigbrotiki said.

You can save a buck by buying Cruzan white, or spend an extra buck buying Ron Matusalem Platino - both of which are better than Bacardi. The Foursquare Spiced Rum I recently tried is about the same price as the regular Captain Morgan, and beats it by a mile.

And buying limes when you need them is certainly cheaper than the quart of sour mix (though you do have to scratch up more often).

Well, I'm living in downtown DC right now, with no car. Liquor stores here are small, space is at a premium. Accordingly, the only spiced rum around, for example, is Captain Morgan. It will have to do, at least until I get out of here. I don't trust the University mail system to deliver me rum.

RB

Believe me, I'm no "elitist"...my"one/two/three strikes" was meant to be a gentle chiding.

poked it with a STICK i did....
I am kinda BETWEEN these factions here--bad is BAD (Tommy Bahama certainly proved THAT this weekend!) but newbies here DO take a real THRASHING just because they express a certain amount of NAIVETY to what is pretty much a lost art of crafting ACTUAL COCKTAILS...you go out to a ny CIVILIAN BAR (non-TIKI) and its a CRAPSHOOT as to what you're gonna get when you ask FOR ANY of these ancient concoctions...there was a thread once on the tiki road trip site that rated Mai-Tais at every stop he made---and the standard for THAT drink certainly got lost in the shuffle over the years! Just that all the Falernum/orgeat/orange liqueur talk that seems to be MINUTELY picked over DOES strike a few of us BETWEENERs (and YES I HATE buffettization--keep it Denny or at least Combustible Edison!) as a bit OBSESSIVE. Some of the cheaper products thrown in a Coke are just FINE..its just you wouldn't wanna SIP them. ..but you don't always have the TIME or WILL to drink straight liquor of ANY kind--if you do more power to ya though

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2007-04-24 07:23 ]

I was on my way towards the authentic Tiki camp, and then literally fell head first into it after my first Zombie at the Tiki-Ti. But the only way to get Tiki back to anywhere near where it was 40 years ago is to embrace and extend the newbies. So I have a high tolerance for stuff like the what do I mix with Tattoo? (a quart of lime juice to cut the sweetness...)

But then I would try to go in the direction of: have you tried a rum that is spicy by nature, not because anything was added? Barbancourt 8 perhaps? Or smoke and spice...Demerara. Then there is this thing called a Demerara Dry Float... Get them interested in the history, the flavors, the methods, and the mood of real Tiki drinks.

To the guy in DC on a budget, those small (usually narrow and deep) liquor stores usually suck for Tiki ingredients. Try the Internet. There are some stores up in New York that ship, and you're relatively close (as far as UPS is concerned). Astor Wine and Spirits comes to mind...

I think I stated in my post that I had GOOGLED THIS UP and I only posted because nobody seemed to have any good mixes for Tattoo. I'm sorry if you don't like it, I do. And yes, I apologize for trying to be friendly even though I really don't know much about mixology-- I'm not old enough to (legally) buy it for myself yet, so I work with what I've got. And no, I'm not some idiot fifteen year old who cleans out her parents' stash, so please don't start with that.
As I said before, sorry, guess this'll be my last post here since I'm not "tiki" enough. :P Thanks for introducing me to what your "culture" and little "community" here is all about, though-- a complete and total refusal to anyone who may be curious. :(

Sheesh! . . . and . . . Yikes!
As I stated earlier, when I ventured out for the first time in this community . . . I was thoroughly trounced (must have been by the Elitists) and sent directly to 'Mai Tai Hell"! I not only survived . . . I've thrived . . . and I'm still here!
A sense of humor and a light attitude goes a long way.

Concerning Capt. Morgan. This summer I gave a party at home and someone showed up with a bottle of regular Capt. Morgan, "Well, I didn't find that St James stuff you suggested, so I brought that 'cause I'm a pirate" uh... Thanks! It was very nice of him, but I don't know what to do with that bottle. Anyone has an idea? I tried to mix a Mai Tai with it and man, it was painful. So, if anyone knows any way to take pleasure of Capt. Morgan, please let me know.

And about the newbie thing: well, I am a newbie myself although, though I have very few posts, I have been several months around here. Anyway, moreover I'm european, and not even british or whatever, I'm an spanish guy with lousy english and a lot of difficulties to find certain tiki supplies. So, usually my posts go like "I can't find Demerara 151, what should I do?" and that kind of pain-in-the-ass quiestions. And I have never been treated in a mean or rude way.

It's true that I have always been very shy and never explained how I mix a Mai Tai with Bacardi (once I did) or things like that, because when you enter a community you have to look around and try to understand what's happening.

And the veterans around here should understand that not everyone is born with a deep knowledge in rums and limes and stuff, I think that's the point in a discussion forum like this one, spreading the word.

Mahalo for reading all that, Um, and sorry for reviving this, just wanted to give my oppinion.

BS

Pages: 1 2 66 replies