Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

S

Personally, if you mix a Mai Tai with Captain Morgan or Bacardi and find it terrible, please let folks know! There's no such thing as a failed experiment, since you'll always learn things. And knowing what sucks can be just as important as knowing what's good or great.

And you'll be helping folks in similar situations - that is, folks who can't find tiki stuff. At least now they'll know not to try CapMorg in a Mai Tai just in case they get desperate. So maybe that person will try something different, and maybe post that it's bad but drinkable. Or good and very drinkable. Or that it didn't taste right. In any case, that's more knowledge.

As to your Captain Morgan, I'd try "fixing" it. Take a look at the "Bumbo" forum for some ideas on making your own spiced rum. A touch of nutmeg, some sugar, and a splash of a better rum can possibly salvage it. I recommend going slow. You've got little to lose. So add 2 teaspoons of sugar, a few ounces of juice, a little nutmeg and wait a few days and shake it and taste it every day. Once the nutmeg is strong enough, strain it, and add a little bit of some other spice. Vanilla Extract, almond extract, allspice... There's a list of good spices and things to try at the end of the Bumbo thread.

I had a housemate once who was a Captain Morgan fanatic. Personally, I can't stand the stuff. He was such a great customer, CM sent him a leather jacket with the logo on the back.

His ONLY drink was CM and Coke.

On 2007-10-26 06:33, Scottes wrote:
Personally, if you mix a Mai Tai with Captain Morgan or Bacardi and find it terrible, please let folks know! There's no such thing as a failed experiment, since you'll always learn things. And knowing what sucks can be just as important as knowing what's good or great.

And you'll be helping folks in similar situations - that is, folks who can't find tiki stuff. At least now they'll know not to try CapMorg in a Mai Tai just in case they get desperate. So maybe that person will try something different, and maybe post that it's bad but drinkable. Or good and very drinkable. Or that it didn't taste right. In any case, that's more knowledge.

As to your Captain Morgan, I'd try "fixing" it. Take a look at the "Bumbo" forum for some ideas on making your own spiced rum. A touch of nutmeg, some sugar, and a splash of a better rum can possibly salvage it. I recommend going slow. You've got little to lose. So add 2 teaspoons of sugar, a few ounces of juice, a little nutmeg and wait a few days and shake it and taste it every day. Once the nutmeg is strong enough, strain it, and add a little bit of some other spice. Vanilla Extract, almond extract, allspice... There's a list of good spices and things to try at the end of the Bumbo thread.

OK, Scottes, I'll take a jar and begin to pour rum and other stuff. That sounds like fun!

That's the kind of nice answer one usually get here. Thanks!

S

OK, Scottes, I'll take a jar and begin to pour rum and other stuff. That sounds like fun!

Keep notes! Then you - and we - will know what to do the next time.

I have a bottle of Tattoo hiding in the bar that I never found many options for. It blends into pineapple juice reasonably well but almost disappears. Mixing 1 part Tattoo, 1 part Malibu and 4 parts pineapple results in a drink that can be served to someone who dislikes strong drinks and does not want to taste their rum.

Another amusing recipe I came across when Tattoo was released but never dared to try out out was "The Captain's Gobstopper" which was 1oz each Tattoo and orange vodka and 6oz of Coke.

My advice is to mix it with something that doesn't center on rum. I particularly like the Spiced Cap'n in some ginger ale, but never comprising more than 1/4 of it. That's what you have to do: mix it when there's not much of it to mix. It's not refined enough to be the center of attention.

Tattoo isn't one of the capt's better ideas. Seems most recipes involve energy drinks or ingredients going for a grape taste. With that in mind, I just mixed tattoo with some fierce grape gatorade I had in the fridge. Not a bad drink, for sure it's no worse than tattoo straight, and you can drink as much as you want and not wake up with a hangover headache! woohoo!

Try Tattoo and Pepsi.....pretty good. Much better than Tattoo and coke

S

I haven't found anything to mix Tattoo with that comes out well...I do like sipping it to some extent.The first time I tried it though ,I went through a pint in about 20 mins on an empty stomach with no effects other than my face getting flushed.What?.....It does have a real molasses-y,raw kind of taste......makes me think I would have found something like it in 1700s Port Royal.
I have never been a fan of Bacardi products...they all taste like they belong in plastic bottle in the generic section...
I saw a ton of the Sailor Jerry rum at my local package store...haven't tried it yet though.I should get the spiced type right?I know it's priced pretty well here.

[ Edited by: savoy6 2008-08-23 05:18 ]

K

this stuff is bomb if you mix it with mountian dew im drinking it right now

RB

Apparently mixing Tattoo & Dew causes impaired spelling, grammar and loss of apostrophe

On 2008-10-22 07:48, Rum Balls wrote:

Apparently mixing Tattoo & Dew causes impaired spelling, grammar and loss of apostrophe

Well then, it must be bomb if youre drinking it right now.

H

I like all CM rum. Tattoo goes with Diet Dr. Pepper. It makes it taste like regular Dr. Pepper. I actually thought that was why they made it. Everyones had a rum and coke. Dr. Pepper is a very popular soda and as soon as I took a wiff of tattoo I instantly assumed that it was for mixing with Dr. Pepper. It tastes berryish to me as well. Try it.

I absolutely love Tattoo Rum! I mix it with (because I drink diet) Diet Cherry Pepsi... it is so good. At least to me and whoever I have had try it! You have to try it, it is not very good with reg coke/pepsi. That cherry gives it something I love! But I do like it straight out of the bottle too...especially right out of the freezer! Let me know what you think!

Funny how this thread attracts one-time posters who all suggest mixing it with soda

I know! This last post is like a pure parody of bad rum taste! "Add bad soda to the bad rum and it will make it taste GREAT!!!" :lol:

On 2012-05-08 17:03, CaptainMorgan518 wrote:
I absolutely love Tattoo Rum! I mix it with (because I drink diet) Diet Cherry Pepsi... it is so good. At least to me and whoever I have had try it! You have to try it, it is not very good with reg coke/pepsi. That cherry gives it something I love! But I do like it straight out of the bottle too...especially right out of the freezer! Let me know what you think!

I

Okay...

1 oz. Malibu Rum
1 oz. Captain Morgan Tatoo Rum
2 oz. Fresh Pineapple Juice
3 Drops of Pernod, Herbsaint or Absinthe
1/2 Lime
1/2 Cup Crushed Ice

Squeeze lime juice into shaker and throw the spent lime rind in too. Throw 1/2 cup of crushed ice on top. Pour all the booze in and shake it like hell... Pour, unrestrained into glass... And you got a Bad Tiki Tatoo! (haha!)

~ickytiki

[ Edited by: ickytiki 2012-05-09 14:27 ]

Indeed! Captain Morgan AND Malibu together...you might have to go as far as your SUPERMARKET shelf to find those ingredients!

Q

How about this one...

3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz El Dorado 15
1 oz appleton 12
6 oz crushed ice
1 bottle CM Tattoo

Shake first six ingredients thoroughly and pour into a double old fashioned glass. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.
Enjoy a beautiful Mai-Tai while looking at the bottle of Tattoo. You can heckle it if you like.

Cheers!

Couldn't resist

Pages: 1 2 66 replies