Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Book-In Search Of Tiki

Pages: 1 2 replies

This is a book you can easily find.......

French Archeologist checks out Fatu-Hiva's people and history in 1955

Thanks, Bongofury. I found it used at alibris.com starting at $13.69. Looks good:

Description: Adventurer's Club.1962. Hard Cover. 8.5x5.5. 190pp. 25 photos. Diags. Maps. dj. Fine. 367g. In this well illustrated book the author has brought back from one of the most incredibly beautiful regions on earth an enthralling story of excavation and detective work. He went to prove his theory that the Eastern Archipelagos of Eastern Polynesia had been peopled by pre-Colombians.

This is the book I initially wanted to borrow the title from for MY tome...and I planned the cover concept carry on the theme:

IN SEARCH OF TIKI
Polynesian Pop in America

The cover was going to be done by Mark Ryden, in the style of Frederick Catherwood's Mayan ruin lithographs:

Looking over the shoulder of an (urban) archaeologist who is pulling away the foliage, we see a clearing in a jungle, with overgrown ruins of an A-frame Tiki Restaurant, a broken and askew 50s neon sign looming over it.

But alas, Taschen felt it was too cryptic, he wanted something more commercial, more catchy in title and imagery...and since he let me do the rest of the book pretty much how I wanted it, I complied, and I must say I am very happy with Moritz's cover.

Only sometimes do I regret not doing it that way, because it would have brought home the fact better that almost all in the book is gone and forgotten, which people seem to be not aware of sometimes.

And Mark's painting sure would have been pretty, he has the perfect style for swampy overgrown jungle landscapes.

...so I am fond of this book, but I find it a difficult read, maybe because it was translated from French, or maybe because the French just tend to philosophize and wander rather than get to the point.

Pages: 1 2 replies