Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

KONA Club w/ Smiley Thurs 12-22-2005

Pages: 1 18 replies

M

Ok, who wants to join me the Thursday after the Kona opens? Lets meet for dinner at The Alley bar @ 3325 Grand Ave in Oakland around 7:30 pm.
http://eastbay.citysearch.com/profile/1020128/?brand=smx_bar-nc and then head over to the Kona Club around 9:15 pm @ 4401 Piedmont Ave in Oakland. (you just drive up Grand Ave from the Alley and it curves around at the Kona Club will be on the right). ZAZZ!!!

NOTE; I corrected the address for the Kona Club!

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-12-20 17:16 ]

T

There's no doubt that I will practically be living there for a while. So, count me in.

I have to work until 10 that night....dang it.

On 2005-12-14 00:36, cynfulcynner wrote:
I have to work until 10 that night....dang it.

WE will just be getting started by then! Come on by. :)

See pics of last night's preview party:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17671&forum=4&0

How cool of you to include the Alley! (From up in heaven, "Stormin' Norman" is hurling benedictions down upon ye.) Now the Grand Lake area has TWO great theme bars, and as you point out, they're such a quick hop from each other! It never fails to surprise me how many vintage-loving folks have never experienced the labyrinthine and faintly seedy MEGA-retrosity that is "The Alley".

Of course, I also like Scary House* :wink:...but I'm Irish, so I can't help it.

(Now if a TRUE W.C. Fields-o-phile would just buy ol' Egbert Souse's a little further down the street and spruce it up--Mae West imitators, anyone?!?--Piedmont Avenue would be a hoppin' street for classy boozehounds!)

To get to the point, we might be able to make it. We could drag Paul over. He DO love them cheeep Alley steaks!

I still say Oakland is ripe for a dive bar crawl--not just Tiki! OVERripe, probably...:wink:

tikivixen

*aka Kerry House

I can't wait--I may even hit it on the way home from Vic's tonight!!

T

I'm craving an Alley steak. MMMM.

ok--what drinks are good, which ones should be avoided for now?

T

As far as the drinks go, so far they are pouring like they do at Club Mallard. There is no tropical drink menu (yet), but the bartenders are ready and willing to make anything that they have the ingredients for. They have fresh limes and lemons, and a small selection of good rum. I was drinking daiquiries made with Zaya rum and fresh lime last Saturday. The friendly new bartenders Nanrisa and John were doing a great job on Saturday with special requests. I know that Tage (spelling?), a veteran of Club Mallard, is supposed to be working at the Kona on fridays, and he knows all the classic tropical drinks. I heard that they will have tiki mugs eventually, and maybe a drink menu of select classic tropical drinks.

M

I had a chance to peek in the Kona Club last night and I gotta say it is purdy darned ZAZZ!! I am looking forward to Alley steak and hanging out at the Kona next Thursday--see you there! :)

MT

Bruce is frozen in awe and wonderment watching the volcano erupt

Hangin' loose with the blasé Mr. "Have A Day"

M

I am thirsty AND HUNGRY!

On 2005-12-22 14:14, mrsmiley wrote:
I am thirsty AND HUNGRY!

I am thirsty and hungry AND CRANKY! Gimme a drink!

T

I plan on being at the Kona around 8, possibly with a friend who goes only by the initials L.T.G.

M

Hang out Tiki-bot--we will get to the Kona about 8:45 or 9-ish

MT

I'm thirsty!!! And maybe hungry too!

H

How fortunate, I've got a serious paucity of L.T.G. in my diet. We'll see you at the Kona -- we're probably going to skip the Alley. See you tonight!

MT

I've heard they make a nice 72 ounce steak. The only catch is that you have to eat it in less than an hour...

Pages: 1 18 replies