Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Other uses for your drink bowls

Pages: 1 8 replies

When not filled with grogs or punches, I try to make good use and display of my drink bowls. Here is an idea for Christmas... mix tiki and Christmas together. I bet you have other suggestions!

Tikiwinebear,
Your arrangements are GOR-geous!!! I mean, AMAZING!! You do this as a pro, don't you!

Besides holding my tiki bar matches for display, the only other thing for which I've used my bowls I have to credit to Mizz Cherry Capri. Among her festive party suggestions, some of which are quoted in Tiki Magazine 1, she suggests serving nuts or other hand-munchables in them, if you're not too much of a purist to be offended by such sacrilege.

I am not, so I do :wink:

WOW! Those look great! Did you use a block of foam, or a floral frog, to hold up the flowers?

Those look really fantastic!
I love how you've merged Hawaiian with Christmas, very nicely done!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Thanks so much for your compliments! No, I don't do arrangements for a living.. I work in computer software. I am lucky to have a fantastic floral shop nearby who gets fresh Tropicals every Wednesday. I got all the flowers you saw in the arrangements for under $70. The heliconias really make the arrangement. I got the idea of adding the Douglas fir boughs from Mama's Fish House in Maui, thus instant Christmas arrangements.

I use 4 or 6 inch floral pin frogs to hold the stems - with frogs you can angle the stem, or make it stand straight up. I place a plastic drink coaster between the ceramic bowl and the steel pin frog so I don't scratch the bowl. I use all my bowls; the TV Kava bowl is great for longer stems, while the smaller bowls are great for a few flowers, or to be used for nuts / dried fruits / party favors, as suggested by Formikahini and Cherry Capri. The Mai Kai Mystery bowl can hold lots of wider stems like the down-turned heliconias or gingers.

For my summer tiki parties, I have used birds of paradise, proteas (all sizes and colors, but especially love the pincushion variety), tuberose, and lots of tropical leaves / greenery. Here's a link to some of those:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mykecmi/album?.dir=51c5&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mykecmi/my_photos

Merry Tiki-Christmas to you all.

• Myke

Those are great arrangements... and a great idea to use your bowls. I never thought of that.

I am fortunate enough to get tropical flowers like that near me too. They have a big farmer's market and flower market at the swap shop/flea market near me in Ft. Lauderdale. Great prides. They have the torch ginger for about 1.50 a stem.

T

good work on that looks great

...now the trick is to keep those arrangements AND serve cocktails in them! That would redefine the term "garnish".

Thanks for the idea! I may just have to have my friend make me up a silk tropical arrangement or two. I have a few bowls, so one or two as silk arrangements wouldn't get in the way of making the occasional drink bowl type drink.

Pages: 1 8 replies