Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Texas Tiki Tour?

Pages: 1 5 replies

R

Any fellow Texans in here want to plan a get together? There's a former Trader Vic's space here in Dallas that can be rented out for a get together, and I could host a tour of where some other famous Tiki temples USED to be. There's Ocean's 11 in Austin, as well as Chuy's "Hula Hut" restaurant. We could go down to the coast and stay in the newly-founded town of Tiki, Texas... although I think the most "tiki" thing about that town is the name...

Ideas?

BY THE WAY... I'm not suggesting we tour the entire state at once! I got an email suggesting that I might have given that impression... Just wondering where the tikiphiles are in Texas and which town should host the first one!

[ Edited by: Reever on 2002-11-21 23:47 ]

[ Edited by: Reever on 2002-11-23 08:19 ]

Reever -

Count me in!

Man, I wish you Texans would make it farther out West to CA and hook up for some tiki happenings here!

I'm afraid you're gonna get your a$$e$ 'whopped' by some good ol' boys that don't understand what men in flowered Hawaiian shirts is all about.

P.S. I'm not baggin' on the great state of Texas as my momma was from Deport, TX (yeah, I'm white-trailer trash)

R

Hardy, har.

Believe me, Bong, I do my darndest to get out to either coast (or Hawaii for that matter) any time I can to soak up some mana. But, as Humuhumu says, "the best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed."

I want to do my part to learn what other Texans know about our historic tiki past, as well as to get enough interest up to salvage some of that past and support and create new Tiki goodness.

You have to admit, a state that could produce Ren Clark's severed head mug has something vital to add to the Tiki scene!

P.S. I wear aloha shirts nearly every day, and I haven't gotten a cross word yet from any good old boys. Hit on, maybe, but not a cross word... :)

[ Edited by: Reever on 2002-11-23 08:17 ]

I had heard that "Ocean's 11" was closed for remodeling. Is it open again? I would love to check it out before I leave Texas this month.

I'd be up for hosting a tiki bash at my pad after i get my backyard finnished!

(sorry i'm a year late in joining in the discussion, going through archives)

Pages: 1 5 replies