Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rare One-of-a-kine Moai carving!!! new buggah added 2/28 spark it!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

KK

Aloha again all you!!!

I can truly say this carving is one my rarest and most interesting to date! The story is...Ive had this material sitting around the studio for some time (a gift from a friend). And I wasnt sure exactly what I would be able to with this rare stuff, so I sat on it for months until I finally looked at it one day as saw what was just waiting on the inside to be revealed! I have a few pieces of this stuff in various sizes, colors & textures and although its mostly used for ceremonial purposes or by expensive custom Knife makers who use it for handles, I finally found the perfect "ki'i" to carve in to this rare kine stuff!

You see, this material is known by the inuits as "oosic", which in plain words means, the penis bone of a walrus! Thats right, penis bone! The inuits consider this material sacred and it carries heavy mana to the ancient as well as modern cultures...This particular oosic is actually ancient fossil material (over 4000 years old) and has a really nice coloration & grain structure. It polishes up like glass and holds detail well, for bone thats not altogether very strong or dense.

So I looked up one day and saw a Moai just waiting to come out so I went ahead and threw on the respirator and got to work! Im not sure if I want to set it up as a big 'ole pendant (I mean big!) or maybe just sell it as a display piece, But Im sure Ill figure that out after he sits around and stares at me for a while! I hope you all enjoy seeing this true rarity! Its not everyday you see a Moai made from the Ule of a walrus!

Once again, hope you all enjoy this peek into my world of Tiki carving! I promise one day soon to dig out the chisels & mallets and make a few big buggahs for you all to spark!

Mahalo for viewing!

Malama Pono and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year!)

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2005-12-31 15:02 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2005-12-31 15:03 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-16 11:35 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-16 13:14 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-16 13:15 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-20 09:44 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-25 10:29 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-28 10:29 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-31 12:16 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-02-11 12:14 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-02-11 12:15 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-02-11 12:19 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-02-16 14:19 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-02-25 23:59 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-02-28 12:07 ]

If ya rub it will it grow?

Sorry bad joke...Very nice work.

great joke and great little carving...c'mon Kaha yer killing me with this stuff...I love it and
I'm amazed by the teeenie outrigger you sent me.....

KK

Aloha Rodeo & Conga brah's!
Mahalo for the nice words! Sorry no get bigger when you rub it! Already hard as a rock! The jokes do go along with this material! I had it sitting on the counter here at the gallery and people would grab it and pick it up asking "what is this?". Once I let them know, People had some funny reactions! I have fairly small pieces of da kine but imagine the bone in all its glory, around 3 feet long!

Pupule!!!

Mahalo again for viewing!

B

And a Fine Moai he is too. Whoever gets this will have a real treasure. I Love the carving. Thanks for sharing.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 1, 2006 4:10 AM

The carving is cool in its own right. The material used for it is awesome. Nice work man

My Uncle deals in antiques, and once came across a club made from the penis bone of a walrus. It was about 16" long.

Nice Moai.

That's heavy duty chops. Perfect form, too! Chakkas on that one; all of your work is gallery quality.

KK

Mahalo everyone! Especially BK! Youre work is pono fo'shua bruddah! Cant wait to own one of your masterpieces someday!

Mahalo again!!!

Malama Pono!

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 7:27 PM

Very nice artwork on that piece.

MD

Gotta love the measuring stick right next to a penis bone! A bunch of walruses sitting on the beach braggin' and this one drunken whiskered wal, whips it out and lays it on the table........
Heres something you dont see everyday!
Great carving by the way, just a beautiful penis head ya have there.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 12:24 AM

Nice Carving! I'm getting the desire to try some bone carvings. Thanks for the tips.

KK

Mahalo bruddahs!
Id like to thank everyone for the Kokua with the posts and all your kind words and aloha!

Malama Pono bruddah's and sistah's!

J

A tiki out of a tiki. They look terrific.
JP

KK

Aloha bruddah's & sistah's,
This update is in response to the "tikibay" thread started a few days ago for artists to display & sell their work using the Tiki marketplace here on TC. Im showing these carvings for fun but they are also posted in The TikiMarketplace if anyone would like to own one of these buggahs!

The first carving is a "one-off" original made from Ancient walrus bone. This pendant depicts the beautiful & mysterious creature, The Manta Ray! This piece measures 1-5/8"x1-7/8" and includes a Hawaiian Kaula (at any desired length, in 3 colors brown ,black or natural). This piece also features genuine tahitian black pearl shell eyes!

This next pendant is a miniature version of an ancient Hawaiian weapon commonly known as a "knuckle-duster". These are well known as the kahiko Hawaiian version of brass knuckles, ouch! Measuring 2-1/2"x1-5/8" this pendant is made from genuine Hawaiian Koa wood and features authentic tiger shark teeth. this piece can aslo be mounted to any length cord desired...

This next piece is one of my "Tiki" makau featuring a full body Moai from Rapa Nui! Carved from rare, extinct stellar sea cow bone makes this a very special makau and a true rarity. This pendant measures 2-1/2"x1-3/8" and is tradtionally lashed onto a 20" Hand plaited Hawaiian kaula...

These next two pendants are known as "palaoa" which were worn by the "ali'i nui" or Hawaiian chiefs and were origianlly made from the teeth of whales. These pendants held great meaning to the kahiko Hawaiians and are mistakingly commonly referred to as "hooks". Both of these palaoa are made from High grade, solid mammoth tusk Ivory and measure 1-7/8"x3/8"(small) and 2-3/8"x1/2"(large)and can also be mounted on any desired cord length...

These next makau are finely made miniature versions of ancient Hawaiian shark hooks (Mano Makau). These carvings are made form Genuine Hawaiian curly Koa wood and feature genuine mammoth ivory barb points. Measuring 3"x1-1/2" (left) and 2-5/8"x1-1/4" (right) these makau are both tradtionally lashed and mounted on a 20" hand-plaited kaula...

Up for sale as well is another one of my "tiki" makau made from ancient walrus bone. This makau features a stylized version of the Hawaiian God Kanaloa. Measuring 2-3/4"x1-1/4" this makau is also traditionally lashed on a 20" hand plaited Hawaiian kaula.

This last makau is a true rarity! Made from genuine Tahitian Black lip pearl shell and south pacific white pearl shell, this makau is a rarely seen version of an ancient Hawaiian composite makau. This style makau originates from the south point of the big island over 1000 years ago. Originally made from human or animal bone, this piece includes genuine Hawaiian koa wood "lashing wedges" (a true Hawaiian innovation where small pieces of wood were used to tighten up the bottom lashing connecting the barb & shaft together, very strong!). Measuring 2"x7/8", this makau also comes tradtionally lashed on a 20" hand plaited Hawaiian Kaula.

If youre interested in any of the above works, visit the tiki marketplace and personal message me with your inquiry and Ill get back to you wikiwiki with a price! Mahalo for your interest & viewing this long winded post! I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Malama Pono!

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-16 11:40 ]

WOW!!! I still cant get over how amazing these are.

Mahalo for sharing.

KK

Aloha again!
Hey RodeoTiki brah! mahalo for the kind words! Now dont you want to wear one of these buggahs yourself! Ill "hook" you up anytime brah, just let me know!

Mahalo again cuz!

Malama Pono!

A
Alldo posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 1:20 PM

Wow Kaha,
You have some serious talent! Each one of those is a treasure for sure. I especially like the palaoa and the meaning behind the piece. Keep up the carvings.

KK

Mahalo alldo!
I appreciate the aloha! I love your liitle logo too! What musical notes is da kine 'ilio expelling from its okole?! Funny one!
Mahalo again for the kind words!

Malama Pono!

Aloha kaha your carvings ar just amazing.i love your work.

B

Kaha ki'i, I Really love your work. The pieces you posted in the Marketplace are Awesome. It's as if each new piece starts the discovery "Experience" all over again.
HappyHappyHappy

KK

Mahalo Marcus & Ben!
I really appreciate the kind words and aloha, especially coming from two amazing carvers I have great respect for! More to come as Im finishing up a few new pieces this week! keep an eye out for updates!

Mahalo again bruddah's!

Malama Pono!

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-16 14:35 ]

where does one get the old mammoth tusk ,etc.?

F
foamy posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 2:03 AM

Beautiful, beautiful, work. How long have you been carving and polishing? Looks like forever.

J

I keep coming back to this post. These are terrific. The manta ray just kicks butt. I am totally impressed buy the quality of your work. If I ever get to Hawaii your studio is a definite stop.
JP

KK

Aloha again bruddah's & sistah's!

So, scarysnarles, I get my Ivory from a close friend who's in the trade. He supplies knife makers, instrument makers and all kine carvers with genuine ancient mammoth & mastadon Ivory as well as all kine other rare materials...
Like many carver's, I think its bad mana to use any "green" material (an animal recently killed) such as Asian or african elephant Ivory. So, I only use ancient materials like the mammoth ivory. Ancient Mammoth & mastadon Ivory comes from Alaska and Russia (usually a bi-product of the gold mining business). The tusks & bones of the ancient creatures are buried in the permafrost soil and are exposed by collector excavations or while gold mine companies dig up the earth. Some of these mammoths and mastadons have been in the ground for up to 30,000 years but the Ivory I normally use is dated around 10,000 to 15,000 years old. And, although its considered "Fossil" material, it isnt mineralized and you dont have to own lapidary tools to work with it. Also, The ancient material is different from the modern elephant and a lot of ancient ivories have beautiful colorations from the tusks absorbing the minerals in the soil over thousands of years...And the best part! Its completely legal to sell & trade unlike other Ivories & marine mammal materials which are highly regulated by Fish & game....

Aloha Foamy Brah! Well cuz,Ive been carving & sculpting for many years (sculpture is what I studied in college) but Ive only been a "bone carver" or "Subtractive sculptor" for around 10 years...Its funny what you said brah, cause sometimes the polishing takes longer than da kine carving! Most of the materials I use are affected by heat & moisture so you cant polish too quickly or hastily...Sometimes it takes quite a while to polish da kine right, but the almost "ceramic" feel & glass-like finish make it worth the extra time!

And bruddah Johhny P! Mahalo for your kind words and aloha! The wife and I have an art gallery here on the mainland too (where we spend a lot of time) so if youre ever in SoCal you can come by the shop and check it out! The actual work shop and "Cabanilla Makau Headquarters" is in Lana'i City but we wont be back there until the end of February (Im missing the big winter waves!) so if youre ever close by (socal or Hawaii) feel free to contact me and stop by anytime!

Mahalo again everyone, Malama Pono!

That it just the coolest stuff you make Kaha Ki'i. We get over to Pasadena every now and then for the swapmeet, hope to visit your shop too. Colorado Blvd is a great location, I couldn't believe everything going on down there. Thats one cool area to visit. Hope its been good for business too.

KK

Mahalo Jim!
I appreciate the kind words! Next time your in the area, look me up brah. My wife and I have the gallery and design studio here on Colorado Blvd. and I do have a display where my work is shown as well as some wacky paintings and other art my wife has put together. We do spend a lot of time back home in Hawaii too, but during the winter months were usually both here working...
So feel free to stop by anytime. You come to Pasadena for the rose bowl flea market, yeah? Theres also a great swap meet at PCC (pasadena city college) you might want to check out sometime too...That goes for all the TC ohana here in socal. Ive found many "tiki" kine items at both, so its a fun shopping experience, lotta discoveries to be made!

Mahalo again for the kind words brah!

You've got a shop in Pasadena!?! So close! We'll have to get over there sometime, and also to check out the flea market. Sounds great!

KK

Aloha Bruddah Josh!
Sounds pono brah! Check my website for address and phone numbers and let me know when you might stop by someday! Depending on how my sales go, I might have choke carvings for sale or just one or two to check out so let me know when your in the area and feel free to get a hold of me anytime!

Malama Pono!

KK

Aloha again TC ohana!
Here's a couple of new carvings for you all to spark!
This buggah is one of my original designs featuring a Hawaiian/Tahitian style honu. The honu is a fairly common image seen all throughout Polynesia but with this buggah I combined the two different styles to create an original Honu carving!
Made from ancient walrus bone, this pendant features Tahitian Balck pearl shell inlay and a nice walrus bone bead (which adds a nice touch and hold the pendant securely on the kaula...

This next buggah is a kahiko style Hawaiian "gorge" makau made from rare Sperm whale rib bone for a customer in Florida. I make da kine like this all the time but I thought you all might enjoy seeing another new creation!

More to come soon! Mahalo for viewing da kine!

Malama Pono!

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-20 10:29 ]

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 10:16 AM

Bruddah Kaha Ki'i...most execelent as usual. I must say, i appreciate like your in depth knowledge, and stories about your work, and the materials you use. It's like a history lesson. I also enjoy it when you translate words for us. Keep it up.

B

Loki took the words right out of my mouth. It's such a pleasureseeing such perfection and emotion in your carvings tese last 2 pieces are Way out there, Kaha. I'm So Glad you found TC and decided to share your stuff. I mean "Stuff" in a Great way.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 4:51 PM

Wow! Incredible work. Thanks for sharing all your work with us and keep making more.

-Alldo

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Loki, Ben, Alldo...Big mahaloz for the kind words! You bruddah's are all pono in my book fo'shua! I really love being a part of this site. Ive been to TC for years but just recently joined and I feel like ive always been a part of this great, global ohana!
Ill keep posting if you all keep looking!

Mahalo again everyone for the all the aloha!

Malama Pono!

The inlay is just beautiful. keep em coming.

KK

Mahalo Rodeo tiki!
Ive a few more pieces Ill be postings soon! Look out for da kine!
I appreciate the kind words too!

Malama Pono!

J

That turtle is very nice. I like the way you inlaid the shell. It is a very striking work of art.
JP

B

Kaha, We'll keep looking as long as you keep posting. You might as well start from the beginning and tell us your whole story, How you started and what made you start carving tiki. We want the Whole story, not just bits and peices. I think it's important to see how you became such a successful artist. I want to know everything!Thanks for sharing.

KK

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-22 14:02 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-29 21:53 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2007-09-20 13:11 ]

Great story there, much enjoyed that! Keep postin', I'll keep readin. Your stuff is DA'KINE!

B

Yes, noy boreing at all, infact just the opposite. Like I said there are lots of young artists here(including Me!) who need to know they can start from scratch and become the artist they dream about. However, you didn't start from scratch, it's in your blood, your upbringing, your education and somewhere the Old ones steered you to the tolls and the pieces you love so much. I would love to hear All the "Fluff" as that is probably the Fun stuff.
Thanks for sharing a bit of your life. I know it's hard, but you have So Much to be proud of and So much that people are Envious of.
Mahalo!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 7:21 PM

Awesome work man! I love the ray carving and the turtle. Very sweet carvings. Love em. The detail you get is so sweet. I'd love to get some, but I dont think Aussie customs would let em in! Keep the cool pics comin!

Kaha Ki'i-
Man I really like your work!! the two I really like is the Makau made with the black lip pearl shell and I also really like the "gorge" makau made from rare Sperm whale rib bone. Your work is amazing!!
Mahalo for sharing your work!!
Spermy

e komo mai Kaha Ki'i,
thanks for postin' I enjoyed your readin' your story and lookin over your art too. All very nice indeed. I looking forward to readin' more of your stories and seeing more of your woodworkin'

Chongolio

H
harro posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 5:04 AM

i also have to say that these carvings are unbelievable!
fantastic stuff.
cheers and thanks for putting so much effort into your posts (and for the translations!)
harro.

KK

Aloha Again TC Ohana!

Surfntiki-Mahalo for the kind words brah, I really appreciate the aloha!More to come soon, so keep checking in!!!

Ben- As always, your words mean a great deal to me. Coming from a true "kahuna", it really makes my day to hear all your positive feedback and encouragement. The akua has blessed you my bruddah and all of us here on TC look up to you, with great reason!

Hewey brah- Big mahaloz to you down under! I have sold a few pieces to customers in AU, so maybe we could get you one of my pieces someday!

Spermy- Mahalo to you bruddah for the comments and kind words! Maybe someday we get a nice sperm whale bone makau around your neck! Seeing as how youre the "Sperm whale"!

Chongolio and Harro- Mahalo nui loa to you bruddah's too, for all the kind words and interest in my carvings!

More to come soon so Ill keep updating if all you kanaka's keep looking! Again I appreciate all your aloha and support!

Malama Pono!

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Heres a few more new carvings for you all to spark!

This first carving is another one of my "tiki" makau. Carved from rare extinct stellar sea cow bone, this makau features the ki'i of Hawaiian god Lono(god of peace & prosperity). Carved front & back, this makau is finished off with a nice knotted ridge lashing and a tradtional Hawaiian style plaited kaula...

These next buggah's are a few new kahiko style Hawaiian makau. Starting on the left, ancient style "jabbing" hook made from ancient mammoth Ivory. Next is an "ulua" style Hawaiian makau made from rare mammoth rib bone (nice chocolaty color, yeah?) and one the far right is an ancient Hawaiian style "incurved" makau made from stellar sea cow bone!

Mahalo for looking! Some of these carvings are for sale so check the Tiki marketplace if you'd like to inquire about owning one of da kine!

Malama Pono!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies