Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rare One-of-a-kine Moai carving!!! new buggah added 2/28 spark it!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies

B

More unbelievable hooks. I had NO Idea that there were so Many different variations of the ancient fish hooks. Your historical knowledge is Remarkable. You should write a book about these guys as I'm sure you have enough knowledge to fill many pages. Meanwhile keep posting Master Kaha Ki'i.

KK

Aloha bruddah Ben!
Howzit?! Well actually Ben, there are thousands of different styles of makau, then multiply that by the number of island cultures in the Polynesian triangle and it goes into the tens of thousands!
There are a few books about Polynesian fishhooks but Id have to be an anthropologist to be able to document and list all the kine makau styles out there! As a matter of fact, Hawaiian anthropoligists use the ancient fish hooks to date temple sites and village sites and to come up with an accurate time line of the history of Hawaii...Pretty cool , yeah?

I appreciate all the aloha Ben, mahalo for checking in!

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-25 12:05 ]

T

Your stuff looks cool (of course)!
I didn't know that the hooks could be used to date archaeological finds. I guess I never thought about how designs and materials could or would change over time. Very interesting? You mentioned that there are books on the subject. Got any recommendations? I'd check Amazon, but I never know if I'm gonna pick a good one.

KK

Aloha Bruddah Josh!
Well, there are a few books I could point you to to learn more about Hawaiian makau and archaeological history. One is from a volume of books called Arts & crafts of Hawaii, by Peter Buck (volume 7, fishing). Get the complete set because these books are a great source of history and info on kahiko Hawaiian kine arts & crafts, including weaponry, music, food etc.

Another is the great book called "Feathered gods & Fishhooks" by Patrick Vinton Kirch,An introduction to Hawaiian archaeology and prehistory. Both of these books can be found by going to http://www.nativebookshawaii.com or at the Bishop Museum bookstore at http://www.bishopmuseum.org

Some of the best resources I have are in books that are currently out of print like "Pacific Island records, fishhooks" from the british museum in London last printed in 1928! But, the most valuable information Ive ever received was by studying at the Hana cultural center and the Bishop Museum as well as learning from the local Kupuna and the ohana back in Hawaii, especially what hooks were used for different types of fish & fishing techniques...

Hope this helps you brah and mahalo for the kind words!

Malama Pono!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 3:25 PM

Awesome fish hooks brah! Mahalo nui loa to ya bruddah for sharin with us ya makau! You a true kahuna yourself, malama pono!

KK

Big Mahaloz bruddah!

I really do appreciate the aloha fo'shua! Keep lookin' cause Ill keep postin'! Ill have a few new pendants and things li'dat to post soon so keep sparkin' da kine!

Malama pono!

Kaha Ki'i man I love your work!!! That Lono makau kicks ass!! Thanks for posting!!! I too am salivating over here!!!
Later,
Spermy

P.S. One of these days I know I will be the proud owner of one of your masterpiece's!!!

EEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaaaaOOOOooooooWWWWWwwwwWWWw

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-01-25 17:11 ]

Kaha - your fishing hooks and carvings are simply beautiful. Very smooth looking, precise and detailed for such small work. I too hope to own one of our pieces one day.

I love coming back to your thread and seeing your work, thanks for posting it!

KK

Aloha again!
Mahalo Spermy & Polynesiac for the kind words and aloha! Anytime one of you bruddahs wants one of my makau, just let me know and Ill "hook" you up makepono style!

Mahalo again!

Aloha kaha the turtle is very cool the detail is awesome love it love it love it.

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Mahalo for all the kind words and aloha from everyone! Here's a few new buggah's for you all to spark...
This first carving is a "Mini Moai" pendant carved for a TC member from ancient Mammoth Ivory (NOW THEY DONT WANT IT SO ITS UP FOR SALE! CHECK THE TIKI MARKETPLACE FOR INFO!). This little guy measures 2"x1/2" and I still need to attach a nice 14 KT gold bale to the top of the head, add a Hawaiian style hand-plaited kaula then da buggah will be pau! (I think Ill add a nice top-knot to the next Moai I carve!)

This next carving is a "one-off" creation I recently designed. This makau is a Stylized version of a Hawaiian shark hook (mano makau). This one has more fluid lines than traditional Hawaiian makau and a nice paua shell inlay which makes it more "Maori" in style rather than Hawaiian. Made from Genuine Hawaiian curly Koa wood and Mammoth ivory, this buggah is on the larger side measuring 3" in length and is sealed with a beautiful oil/urethane finish...

If youre interested in the makau, check the tiki marketplace and PM me with inquiries...
Mahalo for looking!

Malama Pono!

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-31 13:43 ]

Aloha Kaha Ki'i !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really love your carvings and the super clean lines that you create!!!! You have an amazing eye for detail and flow it must be from the Aloha in your soul my friend! Mahalo for sharing with all of us and keep the soul flow , Aloha , Mooney

Braddah Kaha....gotta say yer new moai is kine ono....really pono....and da hooks are
hookin' me every time...truly outstanding work from da island man....love em all.
MALAMA PONO MY FRIEND

been workin on the lingo....does it show?

KK

Mahalo bruddah's!
I really do appreciate all the aloha! Congabrah and mooney, you two bruddah's are da kine fierce warriors in our carving clan! Keep up the good work, both of you!
Ill post more pics soon and mahalo again for your kind words!

Malama Pono!

J

Perfect as usual! I really enjoy your style. Makes me want to carve smaller art, although I wouldn't do you justice.
JP

KK

Big Mahaloz JohhnyP!
I apprecite the aloha brah! You should give the small kine a try someday. Its just as hard as carving big but you can put da buggahs in your pocket after a hard days work and scrutinize and such, big kine carving make it a bit hard to do that! Sometimes Ill bring home a makau just to sit and think how to make it mo bettah or come up with new designs. Many times my wife comes in the house and Ive got my polish rag and Im sitting like a mental patient polishing, checking, polishing, checking...!

Mahalo again for your comments! More pics soon!

B

Wow, that Moai is realy Fine , such a Nice smoothe finish. He must have taken extra time. BUT the Koa Hook is just got me Droolin all over the desk, Man that is Awesome. Fantastic work Kaha.

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Mahalo again Ben for your comments and aloha!
Heres another new makau up for sale in the Tiki Marketplace...This one is a custom Cabanilla Makau version of an ancient Maori style fishing lure called a "Pa Kahawai". These makau were extremely well crafted by the Kahiko carvers and used such diverse materials as shell, wood & bone. The paua shell overlay would flash as the hook rotated attracting the fishes strike, thus embedding the barb, Hana Pa'a!(fish on!)
This makau is made from Genuine Curly Koa wood, New Zealand Paua Shell and ancient mammoth Ivory for the barb. Finished off with a nice knotted ridge lashing, this makau is mounted on one of my Hawaiian style hand-plaited kaula(cord.

Mahalo again everyone for the kind words and I look forward to your comments! Again, check the Tiki Marketplace thread fi you want to get da kine for yourself!

Malama Pono!

B

Kaha, this Last one is a beauty too. It's different, you say it is a Lure. Was it actually used as such? It still blows me away, your knowledge of these ancient ways, not to mention your talent to put something like this together and have it come out so beautiful And functional.
Thanks.

A
Alldo posted on Wed, Feb 1, 2006 10:01 AM

That is an incredible piece! The inlay is perfect. Did they really use the shell to attract the fish? Keep em coming I always enjoy looking at your work.

Alldo

T

Amazing work, as always! Love seeing your work here. Keep 'em coming.

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Ben, Alldo & Tikibot, Mahalo for the kind words! To answer your questions, Yes! The ancient Polynesians used all kine shell lures to catch the big pelagic fishes! The Pa Kahawai from the Maori is by far the most beautiful of them all with the wood shank, shell overlay and bone barb. Just to think how strong fish like the kahawai, ahi etc. are, makes these type of lures even more amazing! Here is a photo of an actual ancient Maori Pa Kahawai lure...

My version of the Pa Kahawai is more stylized than the ancient kine (especially the barb style) but in essence its still fairly authentically accurate and fun to make!

Once again, I appreciate all the aloha and great comments! More works to come soon so keep looking!

Malama Pono!

A

Enjoying my Kanaloa makau, as well as your posts touching on Hawaiian arachaelogy/pre-history and fishing implements. Please post more! Also, how old do you think the follilized walrus bone that you used to created my makau is? AFter all, it adds to the story!

KK

Aloha aikiman!
Howzit brah! mahalo for the kind words! Im really happy you like the kanaloa makau bruddah! Now if we could only get the rest of our bruddah's & sistah's here on TC to get one for themselves so theyll know your kine satisfaction!

To answer your question, The walrus bone I use is dated at around 3000 years old, which makes it fall under the "fossilized" category (even though its not mineralized...). Its one of my favorite materials to work with and the spirit & mana of the ancient animal really comes to life when you carve! I never use "green" materials (which means anything recently killed) and the ancient kine stuff is way mo prettier anyways! Plus, no poor walrus had to be killed or maimed so I could carve their bones & tusks!

Ill keep posting more miki'oi kine stuff for you all to spark! And if anyone has any questions regarding any of the above mentioned topics, just let me know!

Malama Pono!

F
foamy posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 6:51 PM

Those are sweet! Love the line work on them as well, makes the whole piece.

B

KAha Ki'a, we will make it Official. I just Must have one of your fine Fish hooks. Callingnthem a "FIsh Hook" seems so Improper, but thats what I have always known them as. Anyway, we are going to work a magic trade, Maori chief for a Pa Kahawai like the ancient Maori's used to lure their bug fish! I just can't keep looking at this stuff and not have it. I guess you could say, got "Hooked" by the best!
HappyHappyHappy

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Mahalo Foamy! I always appreciate your kind words!
And Bruddah Ben!!!!!
Im saving a really nice makau for brah!(remember the last one you liked? shark hook with paua shell inlay?) I do have a few more pa kahawai in the process (da buggahs are fairly difficult to make actually!) so Ill "hook" you up here shortly, so to speak!

No worries too Ben, There ARE fishhooks so calling them that is pono..But if you want to be gramatically correct Maori's call them matau and Hawaiians call them makau! But you can call them whatevas makes you happy! Especially since you show me so much kindness and aloha! You da kahuna here Ben!!

Again, big mahaloz to everyone who has showed me their appreciation and aloha!

Malama Pono!

T

Wow man! Those lures are way cool! I am always amazed by the awesome stuff you put up! I don't know how you can bear to sell it. Great job (as usual, of course)!

M

You may now all address me as "Manta Midnite"! Considering my given name is Ray, picking up this Manta seemed just so.... dang appropriate.

Super carving, I am now even cooler, if that is at all possible, with my manta. This may not be the last piece I acquire from Vince. Great stuff, even when worn by a hipster doofus like me.

manta midnite

P
pablus posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2006 2:33 PM

Oh yeah?
Wellllll, I got the koa and shell hook with the cool braid wrap.
And hook catches ray (but gets covered by paper?)... or somethin'...

J

So when are you going to post more?
JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 10, 2006 4:32 PM

Yeah, what gives? YOu cutting us off?

KK

Aloha again Bruddah's & sistah's!
Been bumbye on the posts lately but Im back!
Manta Midnite and Pablus! Mahalo for the kind words and Im stoked you bruddah's dig your new carvings!
Gman and JohnnyP...Ive got a few new carvings for you all to spark! Although Ive been busy with custom orders, Ive had some time to play around with some nice Curly Koa and carve a few new composite makau (some of which will be up for sale).
Here's two new PA KAHAWAI (one normal size and one "small kine") lures made from curly koa, Paua shell and Mammoth Ivory barbs.

And this buggah which is abit smaller than the one pictured above...

Here's a new Mano Makau (shark hook) made from curly Koa with a sperm whale jaw bone barb!

Here's a composite "south point Big Island style" stylized makau made from the same curly Koa with a mammoth Ivory shank point and Paua shell lashing wedges...

Now this buggah is the "caddilac" of makau! This is an accurate version of The "South Point Big Island Style" Composite makau...Made from da kine curly Koa wood as the ones pictured above, this buggah features a Sperm whale tooth Ivory barb shank and Tahitian Black Lip pearl shell lashing wedges! The rare and highly regulated whale tooth Ivory material makes this a true rarity and because of fish & game laws, the sale of this makau is restricted across state lines. But, da buggah turned out pono so Im going to keep da kine for myself!!!

Mahalo again for looking! I know there's not much tiki being posted on this thread lately but Ive got few pieces Ill be posting soon for you all to spark!

Malama Pono!

Aloha my friend awesome work as always that small stuff is very tedious.

B

All I can say as I Drool al over is SWEET, Sweet Sweet. Missed you while you were not here, welcome back. I was getting ready to email you to make sure all was OK.. Of course I love the one I can't have.
HappyHappyHappy

Holy %$#@!! Nice stuff. Hana Hou!

T

awesome stuff, as usual! I love seeing new pictures posted when I visit. You do the coolest work!

Man I love your work!!! Thanks for posting!!!

J

Thanks for posting, These fish hooks are great.

What could be more tiki than art created by somebody who actually lives there. Besides Captain Cook collected a lot of these, he was the first western tiki enthusiast.
JP

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Marcus, Tiki Josh and Spermy- Big mahaloz for the kind words bruddah's!
And Hello Tiki- Your comment had me crackin a nice smile! Mahalo Nui Loa to you in Hawaii Nei!
Bruddah Ben, Big mahaloz to you to! Im so stoked you get so much pleasure from my work! Shootz Brah, wait till you have da kine in your hands brah!
Im stoked on our trade mana'o too! I have a few surprise for you coming soon!
Johnny P- Mahalo for your kind words, your great work and Aloha! Im actually only part-time kama'aina but Ill be back in Hawaii soon and be thinking of all of you who are a lot tougher than I am living in those cold climates!

More pics coming soon! Mahalo again to all of you for your comments and aloha!

Malama Pono!

Aloha My friend , that is one killer carving!!!!!!!!!! I love the combo with koa and bone. Great stuff my friend and thanks for sharing,aloha ,mooney

KK

Mahalo Mooney!
Howzit cuz?! Glad you like da kine! Right now JohnnyP's nice work got me all going and Im finishing up a couple of unfinished kahiko Hawaiian weapons Ive had sitting around the studio for too long!...
Ill post pics soon as the buggahs are pau!

Mahalo again to you and all the pono bruddah's who be sparking da kine!

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Well, after sitting around the studio unfinished for some time, I finally completed a few Hawaiian Weapons and one implement. Actually, seeing BK and JohhnyP's weaponry, it got me going on finishing up the buggahs I had started some time ago...As most of you know, Makau's are my specialty but making the Kahiko hawaiian weapons can be a refreshing change every so often!

The first carving is a "Pahi"...Its an ancient Hawaiian implement used for many things but its basically a kahiko Hawaiian carving knife! (thought my fellow carvers would appreciate this little buggah!) Made from curly Koa, this Pahi has a nice, big & sharp tiger shark tooth blade!

This next one is a Kahiko Hawaiian weapon known as a "kuckle-duster" (Ancient Hawaii's version of brass knuckles!)and is also made from curly Koa and features 10 tiger shark teeth for maximum cutting action! This buggah would really hurt being thrust across your jaw, yeah?

And now for the true Pu'ali...Here's an open frame version of a "Lei O Mano" warclub. Made from straight Koa stock, this buggah has 14 tiger shark teeth and like the rest of the carvings, is lashed in the kahiko style using Olona fiber. This design was used a lot and had multiple uses (if the teeth didnt get you, the handle was also used as a dagger!) and these weapons were reserved for only certain members of the ranking warrior class which makes them very special!

Hope you all enjoy these carvings, but more makau are on their way so spark it when you see it!

Mahalo for looking!

A
Alldo posted on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 3:20 PM

Wow those are KILLER!! pun intended. All your work is so clean and pure. You must have the ancients guiding your hand brah. I'm going to have to look you up at your shop in Pasadena. My real ( boring ) job takes me up that way about once a quarter and I'm due to get up there in a few weeks. PM your address and schedule and maybe we can hook up ( another pun that was intended ).

Alldo

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-02-16 15:21 ]

J

I always enjoy seeing your work! I admire how polished a professionals art is.

Thank you for the tips! I do appreciate them.

JP

KK

Aloha again TC Ohana!
Its been awhile but Im back with a few new pieces for you all to spark once again!
ALLDO- sorry not get back to you brah! If you ever want to stop by the shop, just go to me website and grab the phone #'s...Im usually around most days 9 to 5-ish! And, I usually have a small display of my work you could check out...

So here's a new manta ray pendant a bit bigger than the last one some of you may have seen in my previous post.This buggah is made from ancient walrus bone with Tahitian Black pearl shell eyes!

Here's another "Lono" tiki makau made from rare Sperm whale jaw bone! This is a special order for one of my bruddah's from Wainaie, a Hui Hou brah!

This next "Lono" tiki makau is very special custom order! This buggah is made from Sperm whale tooth Ivory! Its a pretty tricky material to work with when carving because of the combination of hard outer enamel, and softer inner dentine layers...Plus, this is the most highly regulated marine mammal material available. This tooth was pre-1927 antique from the old whaling days, now living a new life as "Lono" god of Peace & prosperity...You also have to very careful not to heat up the material as you carve & polish and if you work it just right it comes out pono, yeah?!

Mahalo again for looking and more miki'oi carvings to come!

Malama Pono!

Aloha Kaha Ki'i !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope all is well with you and your family!!!!!
Your carvings are unreal my friend!!!! Just aweasome!!!! I love the detail and super clean lines. You are an incredible carver my friend!!!!!!
The koa is so sweet the ancients are flowing through your veins!!!!!!!Great stuff Brother!!, Aloha your friend , Mooney

Beautiful stuff! Your quality never ceases to impress, man. True believer.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 144 replies