Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Post

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

A

Kaha Ki'i thats a cool story about your car. The first year I did it with my son the car didn't even get across the finish line. I got the major stink eye from junior. I had him help with the building of the car. How was I to know it was a major deal. When I was a Cub Scout in 73 I entered the Pinewood Derby. My car was all my design. I had pops cut out the basic shape and I fine tuned it with this giant half round bastard file that I remembered weighing a ton. I Slapped some orange paint that mom had lying around on it and I thought it was bitchen! Got to the race and I soon found out that my car looked pretty ugly compared to most of the other cars the kids ( Dads ) built. I even got a few giggles when people saw my car. Little did I know that my bro in law and my dad had fine tuned the little racer with some new stuff back then called liquid graphite! Man I tell you what, people stoped laughing when they saw an orange blur win heat after heat! I was loving it and thought to myself " I knew this design would be fast" Make a long story longer I made it to the finals and took third place. I was stoked! Pops and my Bro in law were pissed. Something about a bad lane blah blah blah. My First trophy, ever. I still have it in my office. Real wood and metal with a woman with giant wings holding a torch. I was so Amped I went to all the houses in my neighborhood and showed them my trophy. I'll email a picture of it tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I should have some progress pics on the lono tomorrow

-Alldo

J

That tiki is looking a lot like your Governor when he was younger. That is a new take on tikis. Nice detail work.
JP

A
Alldo posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 3:33 PM

Well a couple of weeks and many changes have me to this point. Much different than the first few pictures. It was fun to change him when what I was doing didn't work out. Many times I left him in the garage to seek comfort from hops and barley. I couple of times I wanted to start a new project and move on but hey that's carving right. Finish sanding and a few tine ups and he should be ready. Let me know what you think.

-Alldo

C

this is gonna be really nice alldo.....you did a super job with the wave-tongue....
looks like you are working hard to create a very cool tiki.

O

Really excellent job..nice and clean, can't wait to see the next one.

That is a fine looking Lono! Great effort sticking with it & not taking the easy out. And look how nice it came out. Oh, wait - it's not done yet...

R

On 2006-02-02 15:33, Alldo wrote:
It was fun to change him when what I was doing didn't work out. Many times I left him in the garage to seek comfort from hops and barley. I couple of times I wanted to start a new project and move on but hey that's carving right.

-Alldo

Sometimes it is okay to walk away for awhile. I often start a carving before one is finished ....maybe thats what I am doing wrong. Or its the ADD. Today I passed a truck and it .....oh wait ,what was I saying?
Really nice work.
Any idea on the color or type of finish your going to use?

A
Alldo posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 9:03 PM

Thanks Conga, Ona, Aaron and Rodeo. I worked a little more on him tonight and should be ready for finishing next week. Aaron, I like the finish you did on your last Lono. Like yours, I would like to give him a antique finish with different colors of stain . I might need to pull up your old thread and follow your steps. Again thanks for the props.

-Alldo

J

Looks like the hops and barley helped out. It looks like this was a challenging piece and you pulled it off very nicely. I like the surfer wave mouth.
JP

Pages: 1 2 56 replies